You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 292293294295296 419>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 12:58pm
That was O'Neill's reaction to the under 17's. Makes you wonder what we'd be waking up to this morning if that happened to the senior team in a quarter final of the Euros Shocked
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

That was O'Neill's reaction to the under 17's. Makes you wonder what we'd be waking up to this morning if that happened to the senior team in a quarter final of the Euros Shocked

Never mind MON it would be Roy's reaction in that scenario that would be interesting LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Never mind MON it would be Roy's reaction in that scenario that would be interesting LOL

Exactly what one of the lads in work just said LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Credit to our gaffer for consoling the team and manager and sticking it to the ref after game. 
Thought it was very unprofessional of mon, he needs to read up on the rules.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

Credit to our gaffer for consoling the team and manager and sticking it to the ref after game. 
i think what Superfan was saying was that it was good to see some passion from O'Neill! Emotions are running high who cares if it looks unprofessional he's just watched the young lads getting robbed!

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 15 May 2018 at 1:40pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

i think what Superfan was saying was that it was good to see some passion from O'Neill! Emotions are running high who cares if it looks unprofessional he's just watched the young lads getting robbed!
They weren't though...
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:17pm
there’s a good article in the Guardian on Southgate’s England squad, and this jumped out at me. It evokes that “expert in failure” quote from Mourinho a couple of years ago:

“We talk a lot about experience. But if that experience is a bad one it can be damaging.” No England manager has said this before either. And it’s true.”

I’d like to see a similar mentality from O’Neill in the next couple of years. What really is the value of experience in our squad, when the quality of those experiences are negligible? 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 12:32am
Not in any way a valid comparison, for a large variety of reasons. When Southgate speaks of turning to youth, he is talking about the likes of Sterling, a league winner and scorer of 23 goals in the EPL this season, Alexander Arnold, a CL finalist at 19 years of age, Pickford,an established EPL keeper at 24, Dele Alli  an experienced EPL midfielder for a top club at age 22, Kane, a serial golden boot contender in his short career at 24 and so on & so on. 

If MON were minded to turn to youth, who would he turn to exactly ? Declan Rice and eh, Declan Rice. On here & nearly nowhere else fan forum wise, media wise, or mates down the pub wise, there is nearly something I would describe as a fetish for players who don't play for us, whether that is limited championship players who, when eventually called, turn out to be much the same as the limited championship players they've replaced, or young lads that, unlike some of Southgate's crew, have achieved absolutely nothing in the game only hold down a place in a mid table championship team, sat on the bench for a few EPL games, or get a couple of goals or assists in an even lower league. This is meant to be the elite level for Irish footballers after all, not a development squad. 

Anything else is just more fantasy stuff, there isn't a manager out there given a similar pick to us would do much differently to MON in selecting a squad or team, whatever about a different playing style. MON has named nearly everyone available to him for the next 3 games and without looking, I wouldn't think there are more than 5 players under 25 playing at a senior level for an EPL or championship club first team. The players aren't there, despite how much anyone wants them to be. 

Next, MON has done his bit as regards changing the old guard, JOS, Murph & Wes are gone, and he hasn't exactly been radiantly positive about Whelan or McGeady's long term prospects either. Walters is the only other one approaching the age lads start thinking about retirement, but with our options, everyone understands why the manager will want him to continue another bit, and the player himself is happy to. 

The 'bad experience' comment doesn't hold up as a comparison either, again, Southgate is referring to highly experienced players, and highly rated ones, that went to multiple championships with England & failed/had poor tournaments individually & collectively, Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry and lads like that. Our experienced players went to a Euros in 2016, that is about as positive as it gets for any Irish player, just getting there. So while say, the Belgium game or the entirety of Poland 2012 were bad experiences for our players, the rest of France 2016 is as positive as it got for any Irish international since 2002, so it isn't the same thing whatsoever. 

Finally, for all the new players we recently named, realistically, if all were fit & in form, there will still be minimal change to MON's 1st team for the Sept games. MON's first choices will be along the lines of;

Randolph
Coleman
Duffy
Clark or K Long
Ward (unless one of Stevens/Cunningham or Williams really impresses in meantime)
Brady or McClean
McCarthy
Rice (deliberately putting him in midfield)
Arter or Hourihane (again, maybe Browne or Meyler has a chance here too)
O'Dowda (or Long playing on wing, or the one of McClean/Brady not playing on the left, or Doherty playing right wing)
Walters (or Maguire or Hogan if they make an impression)

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 12:41am
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

there’s a good article in the Guardian on Southgate’s England squad, and this jumped out at me. It evokes that “expert in failure” quote from Mourinho a couple of years ago:

“We talk a lot about experience. But if that experience is a bad one it can be damaging.” No England manager has said this before either. And it’s true.”

I’d like to see a similar mentality from O’Neill in the next couple of years. What really is the value of experience in our squad, when the quality of those experiences are negligible? 

That's about the most intelligent thing I've ever heard Southgate say. It'd be nice to see O'Neill adopt a similar mindset, albeit tampered by the fact that we have a much smaller player pool. That'll never happen of course, but one can dream.
We're decent enough..
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 4:04am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Not in any way a valid comparison, for a large variety of reasons. When Southgate speaks of turning to youth, he is talking about the likes of Sterling, a league winner and scorer of 23 goals in the EPL this season, Alexander Arnold, a CL finalist at 19 years of age, Pickford,an established EPL keeper at 24, Dele Alli  an experienced EPL midfielder for a top club at age 22, Kane, a serial golden boot contender in his short career at 24 and so on & so on. 

If MON were minded to turn to youth, who would he turn to exactly ? Declan Rice and eh, Declan Rice. On here & nearly nowhere else fan forum wise, media wise, or mates down the pub wise, there is nearly something I would describe as a fetish for players who don't play for us, whether that is limited championship players who, when eventually called, turn out to be much the same as the limited championship players they've replaced, or young lads that, unlike some of Southgate's crew, have achieved absolutely nothing in the game only hold down a place in a mid table championship team, sat on the bench for a few EPL games, or get a couple of goals or assists in an even lower league. This is meant to be the elite level for Irish footballers after all, not a development squad. 

Anything else is just more fantasy stuff, there isn't a manager out there given a similar pick to us would do much differently to MON in selecting a squad or team, whatever about a different playing style. MON has named nearly everyone available to him for the next 3 games and without looking, I wouldn't think there are more than 5 players under 25 playing at a senior level for an EPL or championship club first team. The players aren't there, despite how much anyone wants them to be. 

Next, MON has done his bit as regards changing the old guard, JOS, Murph & Wes are gone, and he hasn't exactly been radiantly positive about Whelan or McGeady's long term prospects either. Walters is the only other one approaching the age lads start thinking about retirement, but with our options, everyone understands why the manager will want him to continue another bit, and the player himself is happy to. 

The 'bad experience' comment doesn't hold up as a comparison either, again, Southgate is referring to highly experienced players, and highly rated ones, that went to multiple championships with England & failed/had poor tournaments individually & collectively, Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry and lads like that. Our experienced players went to a Euros in 2016, that is about as positive as it gets for any Irish player, just getting there. So while say, the Belgium game or the entirety of Poland 2012 were bad experiences for our players, the rest of France 2016 is as positive as it got for any Irish international since 2002, so it isn't the same thing whatsoever. 

Finally, for all the new players we recently named, realistically, if all were fit & in form, there will still be minimal change to MON's 1st team for the Sept games. MON's first choices will be along the lines of;

Randolph
Coleman
Duffy
Clark or K Long
Ward (unless one of Stevens/Cunningham or Williams really impresses in meantime)
Brady or McClean
McCarthy
O'Dowda (or Long playing on wing, or the one of McClean/Brady not playing on the left, or Doherty playing right wing)

Excellent post spot on.
Clap
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Randolph
Coleman
Duffy
Clark or K Long
Brady or McClean
McCarthy

Thanks for the considered response. 
If the end result is failure (which is inevitably is), what’s the difference?

You should read the Southgate article. The thrust is, he picks a team for the system, rather than the players with the greatest experience. It’s not a revolutionary idea. Most countries have been doing it for years.

I’m not a MON doubter, but now the Dennis O’Brien money is gone, we’re probably heading for a new era with senior management. It wouldn’t surprise me to see one of the under age coaches under consideration in the future, much in the same way that Southgate came to the England job.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 2:34pm
ClapDeise
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 11:00pm
Was at Dalymount tonight with Keane and about 8 other people decked out in FAI gear. About 10 minutes left, O'Neill, Keane and someone else decide to leave and head towards the exit near the tunnel. The Paul's Artane kids clock who it is, and start running after him. O'Neill turns around and signs a few autographs for them while Keane keeps walking LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 11:02pm
Classic Roy LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Thanks for the considered response. 
If the end result is failure (which is inevitably is), what’s the difference?

You should read the Southgate article. The thrust is, he picks a team for the system, rather than the players with the greatest experience. It’s not a revolutionary idea. Most countries have been doing it for years.

I’m not a MON doubter, but now the Dennis O’Brien money is gone, we’re probably heading for a new era with senior management. It wouldn’t surprise me to see one of the under age coaches under consideration in the future, much in the same way that Southgate came to the England job.

First of all, define failure in the context of the Southgate article and your wish that MON ''would adopt the same mindset''. I think they are 2 different things just to begin with.  Failure for England is not getting beyond 2nd round of a major tournament, or not getting out of a group, as they would probably see QF's as realistically within their compass, all going well for them.  In that regard, they have failed at the last few tournaments. 

Failure for us in not getting to the thing at all. In that sense, yes, all our players have failed in the last campaign, but most of those same players were part of the greatest success we have had in 14 years in the tournament before that. So in an Irish context, they have known both success and failure. 

I did read the Southgate article, and it makes sense in the context of Southgate's England selections. He is basically saying what's the point in having Smalling, Hart & Wilshere when all they've known is (relative) failure at major tournaments, pick Pope, Alex Arnold and Loftus Cheek instead. 

That's where MON's difficulties start. We don't have an Arnold, Pope or Loftus Cheek, we don't even have championship equivalents of them, never mind EPL ones. The contrast couldn't possibly be starker. We had 18 players that appeared in the EPL last year, 2 of whom, Stevie Ireland & Delaney, don't play for us, so that's 16 straight away. Being in the first team squad, if not necessarily team, of an EPL outfit is more or less automatic entry to the Irish squad, and it has been that way for a long time now. 

There are more players in the championship, but who exactly is MON overlooking ? When a 31 year old Shaun Williams playing for a mid table team is in the frame, even the outer reaches of it, and I have not seen much of him or have anything against him, the signs are that talent is thin enough on the ground. Even a fella like Hourihane, who is fairly experienced at that level & performing well for his club, has struggled in an Irish jersey in his few caps so far. 

I'm not particularly an MON fan, but he has done as much as he can do as regards trying to source players. He called in Rice ever before he was a WHU regular, he tried to call up Reading's Kelly on numerous occasions, he brought in O'Dowda when he was still at Oxford, he called up Kevin Long before he was in the frame at Burnley, may have helped get Arter, Hogan & Robinson to declare for us, called up Horgan and Boyle while still in LOI, go back as far as Cyrus Christie and he came in from out of the blue, nobody knew about him at that time, the only one he was slow about was Seanie Maguire, and that probably more to do with MON's reservations about LOI than the player himself. 

To answer your question about what's the difference if we are gong to fail anyway- the answer is we fail bigger, as most of our fringe players are either ordinary with little to choose between them (which of the 3 LB's in the current squad is the best player, Williams, Cunningham or Stevens for example), or they simply do not have enough experience at a decent level.  I'll ask again, who exactly should MON be turning to if he is looking for youthful Irish players ? 

I'd be critical of MON for a lot of reasons, mainly the style of play and his lack of tactical nous, but he isn't responsible for our lack of options, and has actually managed to increase them during his time with us. It's just that the quality of player available isn't noticeably better than the ones that are already there or just left. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 8:07am
He is responsible for the lack of options. He has an entire league to call upon here at home, but won't play them just because they play in it. As he saw with Sean Maguire, that policy is a mistake, while much of the current side came through the LOI ranks. Why does he go to LOI games, when he has absolutely no intention of selecting any of the players? 

As for the greatest success in 14 years, beating the Italy B team in the last minute might be considered a success. Great is probably stretching it. We lost half the matches, conceded double the amount of goals scored, were battered by the quarter finalists and limped out quietly with 10 men, with 2 whole weeks of it still to run. It was an average performance by an average team. Most teams at the tournament got as far as we did, most of them contributed more to the tournament, while some of them have smaller populations, and player pools than we have. 

Edited by planning - 19 May 2018 at 8:08am
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 9:12am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

He is responsible for the lack of options. He has an entire league to call upon here at home, but won't play them just because they play in it. As he saw with Sean Maguire, that policy is a mistake, while much of the current side came through the LOI ranks. Why does he go to LOI games, when he has absolutely no intention of selecting any of the players? 

As for the greatest success in 14 years, beating the Italy B team in the last minute might be considered a success. Great is probably stretching it. We lost half the matches, conceded double the amount of goals scored, were battered by the quarter finalists and limped out quietly with 10 men, with 2 whole weeks of it still to run. It was an average performance by an average team. Most teams at the tournament got as far as we did, most of them contributed more to the tournament, while some of them have smaller populations, and player pools than we have. 

What LOI players would have changed that? Would you have played a 2016 Maguire ahead of Long?
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 11:20am
Early doors but O'Neill currently 2nd favourite for Derby job (@3/1)

I assume this is a non runner. He has signed the contract, hasn't he? Or does he have a clause...?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 292293294295296 419>
  Share Topic