Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 152153154155156 419>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 11:46pm
Honestly who gives a fcuk if O'Neill is lucky or unlucky?! We all benefit as a result. 

He's gotten things wrong, he's gotten things right. Overall he's done a good job as manager for us like Trap,McCarthy and Charlton with the occasional big result. 

Pointless debating with posters that have their anti Trap/Keane/O'Neill or whoever else agenda. You'll never win them over. 

Enjoy the next few weeks talking sh*te on here leading up to the playoff and still being in with a great chance of qualification for the world cup. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Add to that Serbia missing their two best players int he away leg
Fog in Bosnia to ruin their atmosphere and advantage
Load of tosh. There were games we were missing some of our best too, including the upcoming play off. Luck almost always evens out over an entire campaign.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 12:46pm

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I would rather have a general who was lucky than one who was good. Napoleon Bonaparte.

I would rather have a general who attempts to play the game of football underneath the stratosphere - Trap Junior

Last night on off the ball a Danish journalist was talking about Danish football and that Morten Olsen was the manager for years and that he played a tika taka type approach to football and that in the end it became boring and not effective and that results were terrible. They didn't qualify for the Euros in 2016 a 24 team tournament. 

The new manager has gone in with a very direct approach with a view to getting the ball forward quickly at all times and that this took a while to bed in but that against Poland their main approach was a long ball to the wide forward who was really a centre forward playing wide right of the 3 a bit like Walters and that Poland couldn't deal with this. Eriksen then picks up the pieces and plays from there.  This has resulted in them coming 2nd in a weak enough group.  

Its all about results rather than style at International level. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I would rather have a general who was lucky than one who was good. Napoleon Bonaparte.

I would rather have a general who attempts to play the game of football underneath the stratosphere - Trap Junior

Last night on off the ball a Danish journalist was talking about Danish football and that Morten Olsen was the manager for years and that he played a tika taka type approach to football and that in the end it became boring and not effective and that results were terrible. They didn't qualify for the Euros in 2016 a 24 team tournament. 

The new manager has gone in with a very direct approach with a view to getting the ball forward quickly at all times and that this took a while to bed in but that against Poland their main approach was a long ball to the wide forward who was really a centre forward playing wide right of the 3 a bit like Walters and that Poland couldn't deal with this. Eriksen then picks up the pieces and plays from there.  This has resulted in them coming 2nd in a weak enough group.  

Its all about results rather than style at International level. 

look at georgia, wonderful style, dominate games, completely toothless.

My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 1:22pm

you were a trap fan though, he was far worse than o'neill
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Ireland had 34% possession against Spain in Euro 2012. The best international side ever with 3 major wins in a row.

In 2017 under MON we had 31% possession to the giants of Georgia. 5th seeds.
We had 29% possession against Wales last week. 

These are not the big nations of world football.

MON plays far more hoofball and its uglier imo.

https://www.balls.ie/football/stats-georgia-v-ireland-will-make-eyes-bleed-372740

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 2:16pm
I thought the idea of football was to score more goals than the other team not have the ball more.

Edited by Baldrick - 18 Oct 2017 at 2:17pm
AKA pedantic kunt
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I thought the idea of football was to score more goals than the other team not have the ball more.
Exactly what I was thinking. Who gives a fook about possession? It's all about the result.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 2:36pm

Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

<span ="st"="">I would rather have a general who was lucky than one who was good. Napoleon Bonaparte. </span>

Ireland had 34% possession against Spain in Euro 2012. The best international side ever with 3 major wins in a row.

Brazil won 3 out of 4 world cups at one point.

Also, we never looked like we were in a game at any point during Euro 2012. We were losing in all three games and still sat back and never attempted to play. It was the most disheartening supporter experience of my life. If you feel the same way now about MON and Irelands approach well then you have my sympathy because those matches in Poland were disgraceful. To be defensive when you are trying to protect a lead or a point is one thing but to offer nothing offensively whilst losing is insanely and damagingly conservative.

Also, I sat through us sit back and ship 6 goals against Germany whilst never attempting to leave our half. My point is that, at the end, Traps poxy approach wasn't even effective.

Edited by MC Hammered - 18 Oct 2017 at 2:37pm
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 2:43pm
Watching MON for another 2 years is going to be painful.  I dont know how he does it, but the luck seems to go his way all the time.  Our performances are shocking. Its a ticking timebomb. Once the luck deserts him we will be found out.

BriMurt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriMurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

[QUOTE=Baldrick]Who gives a fook about possession? It's all about the result.

And if Ireland lose in November, expect to see this mentality bitterly cited as causing every ill in the Irish game from the grass roots up. 

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 2:44pm

Watching MON for another 2 years is going to be painful.  I dont know how he does it, but the luck seems to go his way all the time.  Our performances are shocking. Its a ticking timebomb. Once the luck deserts him we will be found out.

If you wait long enough for someone to f*ck up, you'll never be disappointed...
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

If you wait long enough for someone to f*ck up, you'll never be disappointed...

That brightened up my day.

''This too shall pass'' .  Finally a bit of optimism.Clap

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 2:47pm

We agree on that point. When the results go, then he goes unless the football gets better. The style of play is poor. Winning whilst playing poorly is accepted but the vice versa is not.
El Puto Amo
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 2:57pm

What was Traps biggest result for us? And I liked Trap don't get me wrong, but what was his biggest result. 1-0 away to France. Here is an interesting pros and cons I found online:

PRO's (in Trap's favour)

Advertisement
  • Qualifying for Euro 2012
  • Reaching two consecutive playoffs with a nation that hadn't reached one since the 2002 World Cup campaign
  • Ireland's performance in Paris in 2009, the best Irish away performance since Amsterdam in 2000
  • Restoring shape and defensive competence to the Ireland team after the shambles of the Staunton era
  • Achieving a record in going 8 games without conceding a goal in 2011
  • Getting the best out of Robbie Keane who scored 28 goals in 50 matches under Trapattoni
  • Consistently decent away form
  • Ireland were sadly landed in a total stinker of a group for Euro 2012, featuring the eventual finalists and another side ranked 9th in the world

CON's (#TrapOut)

• Performance in Euro 2012
  • Depressing style of play
  • Dismal 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign
  • Allergy towards creative midfielders
  • Bizarre selection decisions - Paul Green, Conor Sammon, etc.
  • Annoying League of Ireland people - He patiently educated Italians about Irish football, telling them "In Ireland, there is no League."
You username is Trap Junior. What was so different about MON compared to Trap that makes you hate him so much. It makes no sense. Unless of course you are as stubborn as f**k and made up your mind long ago on what you thought of MON and aint no changing now.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

What was Traps biggest result for us? And I liked Trap don't get me wrong, but what was his biggest result. 1-0 away to France. Here is an interesting pros and cons I found online:

PRO's (in Trap's favour)

<div ="article-standard mid-article-unit -xs"><h6>Advertisement</h6><div ="banner lazy-ad" id="div-gpt-article_mid_unit_1013618391" -slot="balls_mid_article" -ping="ArticleMpu">
  • Qualifying for Euro 2012
  • Reaching two consecutive playoffs with a nation that hadn't reached one since the 2002 World Cup campaign
  • Ireland's performance in Paris in 2009, the best Irish away performance since Amsterdam in 2000
  • Restoring shape and defensive competence to the Ireland team after the shambles of the Staunton era
  • Achieving a record in going 8 games without conceding a goal in 2011
  • Getting the best out of Robbie Keane who scored 28 goals in 50 matches under Trapattoni
  • Consistently decent away form
  • Ireland were sadly landed in a total stinker of a group for Euro 2012, featuring the eventual finalists and another side ranked 9th in the world

CON's (#TrapOut)

• Performance in Euro 2012
  • Depressing style of play
  • Dismal 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign
  • Allergy towards creative midfielders
  • Bizarre selection decisions - Paul Green, Conor Sammon, etc.
  • Annoying League of Ireland people - He patiently educated Italians about Irish football, telling them "In Ireland, there is no League."
You username is Trap Junior. What was so different about MON compared to Trap that makes you hate him so much. It makes no sense. Unless of course you are as stubborn as f**k and made up your mind long ago on what you thought of MON and aint no changing now.

In one. Just like his namesake

Edited by Denis Irwin - 18 Oct 2017 at 3:05pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 3:07pm
To paraphrase Conor McGregor,

f**k the Trapattonis!
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 3:15pm
They are very similar. I have watched Trap matches and been depressed and I have watched MON's games and been depressed. Moldova at home recently springs to mind. 

But if we are 0-0 with MON with 30 to go I genuinely feel we can win. I feel on our day we can beat anyone. 

I never felt that with Trap. This is just my gut honest opinion. I did expect football to slightly improve but if we win this 2 legged playoff MON will look like Sir Alex compared to Trap. And unless then we get spanked in every single group game people need to put this topic to bed. 

2 chances of tournaments. We have a 50% chance of making it 2/2. How can you doubt him then?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 152153154155156 419>
  Share Topic