Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 145146147148149 419>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Pro Trapattoni supporter lauds Traps use of 4-4-2 and direct brand of football.

Pro Trapattoni supporter criticizes O"Neills use of 4-4-2 and direct brand of football.

You don't seem able to understand things too well. I criticised MON's approach of changing systems at no notice not the system itself FFS.  If anything MON should go full hog hoofball and play 442 and put Duffy and Murphy up front and lash balls at them instead of lashing long hopeful balls up to a lone striker who cant run.

Bullsh*t, backtracking at it's finest.

You were criticizing our style of play under O'Neill long before the Wales game.

So don't try and narrow it down to the Wales game only, same with his approach! 

Ah "The System" , to not allow any player have any sort of freedom on the pitch just like under Trap?

Edited by Green Devil - 13 Oct 2017 at 12:02am
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Villa enjoyed there most constant success in their recent history under o Neill getting them very close to champions league football losing a league cup final and an fa cup simi final.
All the while playing nice football.
The wage bill did increase but was due to bringing in an increased number of players.

Any points that a valid you either dismiss as meaningless or chose to ignore them.

These discussions are pointless as you refuse to acknowledge any of his good work instead you choose to point that Ireland play poor football under him and ignore the results.
Trap we have been playing similar football to this for the best part of 30 years

You obviously dont remember 2002 when we played super stuff against Spain without any world class players.

I laugh at the this Piers Morgan style ultimatum you lot propose. ''Which would you prefer TJ? Playing long ball and winning or playing decent football and getting hammered?''  LOL

Maybe it's possible to play a little bit and also get resultsConfused

We don't have the players.  Look at Dundalk. They played Champions League standard opposition and showed what is possible AND getting results punching well above their weight.  I watched Rovers in 2011 in Europa League and Dundalk in 2016 in the Europa. Dundalk were far more impressive and successful playing a passing game.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:02am
Trap was exactly the same and you didn't criticise him for any of it. What do you actually want to happen?

A week ago you wanted O'Neill gone. Do you still want him gone? Do you think a new manager will change anything? Do you have any idea who might be realistically available who might realistically make the sort of changes you want, and successfully change how we play while keeping or improving the results?

I don't see anyone.

Also, the fact you have to rely on one game from 15 years ago, and can conveniently ignore the games against Switzerland and Russia that followed within six months of that game, says a lot about the history we have in playing good football.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 13 Oct 2017 at 12:03am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:04am

Pro Trapattoni supporter criticizes O"Neills use of 4-4-2 and direct brand of football.

You don't seem able to understand things too well. I criticised MON's approach of changing systems at no notice not the system itself FFS.  If anything MON should go full hog hoofball and play 442 and put Duffy and Murphy up front and lash balls at them instead of lashing long hopeful balls up to a lone striker who cant run.

You were criticizing our style of play under O'Neill long before the Wales game.

So don't try and narrow it down to the Wales game only. 

Ah "The System" , to not allow any player have any sort of freedom on the pitch just like under Trap?

YCould your posts be any more incoherent??  You referenced a post I made criticising MON about Leicester switching to 3-5-2 from 4-4-2 at no notice and now you are talking about something totally different.  His style of play is sh*te. Make sense will you.

raclle View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

I love points

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raclle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:07am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Trap was exactly the same and you didn't criticise him for any of it. What do you actually want to happen?

A week ago you wanted O'Neill gone. Do you still want him gone? Do you think a new manager will change anything? Do you have any idea who might be realistically available who might realistically make the sort of changes you want, and successfully change how we play while keeping or improving the results?

I don't see anyone.

Also, the fact you have to rely on one game from 15 years ago, and can conveniently ignore the games against Switzerland and Russia that followed within six months of that game, says a lot about the history we have in playing good football.
We played quite decently in the Euros and even under Trap there was a few times we played quite well, French game springs to mind. To say we cant play proper football is idiotic.

Edited by raclle - 13 Oct 2017 at 12:08am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:10am
I could have phrased that better. I agree that we have played decent football since then.

It just speaks volumes that the example TJ came up with was 15 years ago is all.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:10am

I don't see anyone.

There as none so blind as those who refuse to see eh?

You're right. Trap was the same and you lot criticised him to the hilt. The long ball, the lack of possession, the not allowing the players to play football. Now its ok because ''we dont have the players''.

Conveniently ignoreLOL You mean the games where the media and a lot of the crowd were out to get McCarthy and he was under enormous pressure in the post Saipan fallout?  At least we tried to play decent ball. We were unlucky in the Swiss game. At least we went for a win not accepting a draw. We played  entertaining football under Mick once he got his ideas across and bedded in the young players.

Go to bed.

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:13am

So don't try and narrow it down to the Wales game only. 

YCould your posts be any more incoherent??  You referenced a post I made criticising MON about Leicester switching to 3-5-2 from 4-4-2 at no notice and now you are talking about something totally different.  His style of play is sh*te. Make sense will you.

The only thing consistent about your posts is that no matter what you say it's a dig at O'Neill.

Just read back through your posts over the past day or so, you harp on about one thing than completely go off track onto something else.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:14am

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Villa enjoyed there most constant success in their recent history under o Neill getting them very close to champions league football losing a league cup final and an fa cup simi final.
All the while playing nice football.
The wage bill did increase but was due to bringing in an increased number of players.

Any points that a valid you either dismiss as meaningless or chose to ignore them.

These discussions are pointless as you refuse to acknowledge any of his good work instead you choose to point that Ireland play poor football under him and ignore the results.
Trap we have been playing similar football to this for the best part of 30 years

You obviously dont remember 2002 when we played super stuff against Spain without any world class players.

I laugh at the this Piers Morgan style ultimatum you lot propose. ''Which would you prefer TJ? Playing long ball and winning or playing decent football and getting hammered?''  LOL

Maybe it's possible to play a little bit and also get resultsConfused

We don't have the players.  Look at Dundalk. They played Champions League standard opposition and showed what is possible AND getting results punching well above their weight.  I watched Rovers in 2011 in Europa League and Dundalk in 2016 in the Europa. Dundalk were far more impressive and successful playing a passing game.

I remember the Spain game vividly we played well that day we might not have had world class players but we had a world class goal scorer and plenty of very good players but where did we get our equaliser from a big ball into the box just like our equaliser against Germany in the same tournament.

Fine let's for the sake of argument say we play a passing game we might score a few more goals but we would also concede a lot more.

Dundalk played well and nice football but ultimately it looked nice they scored some nice goals but ultimately they got undone because for all there nice football there defence did match up and they conceded too much.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:14am
First of all, I don't recall personally criticising Trap, at least not until near the end of his reign. And the reason for a lot of the criticism was twofold: yes, one was about the standard of football. But the second was about the absolute lack of belief and the insipid, lifeless nature of the displays, particularly towards the end of the reign. You can't criticise O'Neill's teams for that.

And yeah, the Saipan point was a good one. Still doesn't answer the point about the example you chose being fifteen years ago, though.

I also note you haven't answered any of the questions either, coming back with a snide few lines and little smiley. I'd accuse you of trolling only I know you actually believe the repetitive stuff you post. I just don't know how you have the energy to keep it up. You'd fit in well with O'Neill's high energy approach, I'll give you that.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:15am
Maybe that's because I get replies and asked questions from the likes of yourself that take me down  tangents. Ever think of that?

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:21am
Right so if you were the Irish manager, what sort of tactics would you use, what approach would you take and what sort of phases of play would you look to implement with this group of players?

Or better still what manager realistically do you think would take the Irish job and what return would you expect in a 4 year time frame?

You keep mentioning systems, the approach etc 

Bear in mind I'm a big advocate in getting a younger manager in with fresh ideas myself sooner rather than later.

Edited by Green Devil - 13 Oct 2017 at 12:22am

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:26am
Lads it's international football how many teams out there play entertaining football . It's about winning and results and qualifying. Simple as that. We are not eTching them week in week out. I think we should get it down at home as we would have a better chance of winning then but of we qualify playing like we did in Cardiff Vienna and Belgrade. Who cares.
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:26am

First of all, I don't recall personally criticising Trap, at least not until near the end of his reign. And the reason for a lot of the criticism was twofold: yes, one was about the standard of football. But the second was about the absolute lack of belief and the insipid, lifeless nature of the displays, particularly towards the end of the reign. You can't criticise O'Neill's teams for that.

And yeah, the Saipan point was a good one. Still doesn't answer the point about the example you chose being fifteen years ago, though.

I also note you haven't answered any of the questions either, coming back with a snide few lines and little smiley. I'd accuse you of trolling only I know you actually believe the repetitive stuff you post. I just don't know how you have the energy to keep it up. You'd fit in well with O'Neill's high energy approach, I'll give you that.

Yes he should have gone post 2012 Euros. And? 

Why did I choose an example from 15 years ago you ask?  Well because it was from an era where we played some attractive football and a manager who tried to actively change the way Ireland played and preached a passing game if possible. He mixed it up the right amount too. Knowing when to play long ball but it not being our primary tactic.  Since then we have had Kerr who played dull defensive football, Staunton who chopped and changed and didnt really know what to do, Trap who played long ball and MON who plays long ball. Why would I reference something recent when we havent played good football bar the odd one off game? Passing wasn't encouraged post McCarthy.

I have answered all questions. 

You claim I believe what I write above yet a few hours ago you claimed I dont believe what I write.  You claimed we had f**k all chance of making the playoffs last week but now claim it was likely. You flip flop more than Greg Louganis.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:54am

Why did I choose an example from 15 years ago you ask?  Well because it was from an era where we played some attractive football and a manager who tried to actively change the way Ireland played and preached a passing game if possible. He mixed it up the right amount too. Knowing when to play long ball but it not being our primary tactic.  Since then we have had Kerr who played dull defensive football, Staunton who chopped and changed and didnt really know what to do, Trap who played long ball and MON who plays long ball. Why would I reference something recent when we havent played good football bar the odd one off game? Passing wasn't encouraged post McCarthy.

You claim I believe what I write above yet a few hours ago you claimed I dont believe what I write.  You claimed we had f**k all chance of making the playoffs last week but now claim it was likely. You flip flop more than Greg Louganis.

Fair enough on the first answer, to be honest. It's still relevant though: three managers before O'Neill, none of whom played attractive football, and no realistic alternatives proposed. Fifteen years is a long time; before Mick, it was Jack, which was also long ball.

On the second one, however, I have already answered that. I didn't think we had a good chance of winning both games and winning in Wales, which we definitely needed; that was in our control. I definitely wasn't alone in that. I did think, though, there was a good chance of at least one of the other groups working out. I don't know why I have to keep repeating that. That was what you seemed to think was impossible; that was what I always thought was realistically possible. It's a fairly obvious distinction. I just didn't think we'd make the playoffs because I thought it was too much to win in Wales, and now I'm pleasantly surprised. You seem to be almost upset at it, which is frankly bizarre, although I know from the other thread that you aren't.

I did say there was no way you believed everything you type only because I can't quite believe it. Obviously you do. I was inconsistent there, fair enough.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 1:02am

Right so if you were the Irish manager, what sort of tactics would you use, what approach would you take and what sort of phases of play would you look to implement with this group of players?

Or better still what manager realistically do you think would take the Irish job and what return would you expect in a 4 year time frame?

You keep mentioning systems, the approach etc 

Bear in mind I'm a big advocate in getting a younger manager in with fresh ideas myself sooner rather than later.

Team shape I'd like to have 3 options. A preferred system and 2 optional systems that they players know off by heart.  I'd encourage passing from the back only when safe to do so.. Not the silly sort of stuff Wales did the other night where Hennessy rolled it to Williams with players around him.
If long ball I want my players to know what area the ball will be played into so they can be on the move before the defender.  I'd demand my midfielders look for the ball but leave it up them to play i short or long as they see it but defenitely look to pass it first. I'd demand faster passing not slow laborious passing that we often see. I'd have 2 holding defenders in defensive phase keeping 5 yards or so in front of the back 4. I'd have the wingers also drop back just in front of the full backs too.  I'd leave two up  and encourage fast counter attack passing.  One area I can't stand is our free kicks. We have no imagination and there doesn't seem to be any thought put into them on the training ground. They just lump it in. You never see clever little moves. Sweden in the 1994 World cup e.g. against Romania had lots of clever ideas.

There are the likes of Lagerback, McCarthy. Stephen Kenny. Van Haezebrouck is obtainable I mo. He knocked Spurs out of Europe last year and is with a small club and recently was overlooked for the Belgium job. If we could get back to the way we played even in 2000 I'd take it now. That was an entertaining 4-4-2.   I am not asking for a lot. Just someone who plays the game resembling football.  I'm sick of everyone assuming you have to forego results to play a bit. You dont. 

Yes we need to develop the grassroots for the future but there's nothing to stop us playing a bit now. I don't buy that we cant or the players arent there.  Stephen Kenny showed its possible with bang average players against very good opposition.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 1:11am

Fair enough on the first answer, to be honest. It's still relevant though: three managers before O'Neill, none of whom played attractive football, and no realistic alternatives proposed. Fifteen years is a long time; before Mick, it was Jack, which was also long ball.

On the second one, however, I have already answered that. I didn't think we had a good chance of winning both games and winning in Wales, which we definitely needed; that was in our control. I definitely wasn't alone in that. I did think, though, there was a good chance of at least one of the other groups working out. I don't know why I have to keep repeating that. That was what you seemed to think was impossible; that was what I always thought was realistically possible. It's a fairly obvious distinction. I just didn't think we'd make the playoffs because I thought it was too much to win in Wales, and now I'm pleasantly surprised. You seem to be almost upset at it, which is frankly bizarre, although I know from the other thread that you aren't.

I did say there was no way you believed everything you type only because I can't quite believe it. Obviously you do. I was inconsistent there, fair enough.

Well I was the opposite. I thought there was a fair chance of winning both our remaining games ans then that changed when Bale got injured.  I felt then both games were very winnable and said so on the bale thread.  I felt the other games going our way was unlikely. We needed two games from at least 1 group to go our way. That's unlikely imo. Our main hope was Bosnia-Belgium,  Cyprus-Greece.  When that didn't go our way. We were two minutes way from being knocked out in Glasgow. An 88th min OG saved us. Then Scotland dont win in Slovenia. The Gods were smiling down on us. Croatia and Ukraine wouldnt have workd either. so we were 2 mins away from our 2 wins being irrelevant.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:33am
TJ,the gods were smiling down on us results wise in other games that we'd no control over like they did under Jack and Trap. This is nothing new.

The gods weren't smiling down on us injury wise in this campaign, so as huge as Bale's injury was (couldn't believe some of the Welsh on their own forum didn't see that as anything other than a crippling blow) it doesn't negate the fact that we have had substantial list of injuries in this campaign and to a lesser extent in the last one and Euros. O'Neill has not been lucky in any shape or form overall in this regard. 

To take away O'Neill's reputation as a club manager is desperate stuff. Any football supporter even if you were a hardcore loyalist Rangers fan who despised O'Neill would acknowledge, he had a decent career at club level. Has done very well at teams with limited resources, most notably Leicester and Ireland at international level. He's had a solid club career with modest enough cup wins. 

If your main ally is Planning on here and one of the mods referred to you in similar terms to trapnoclue, is that not reason enough to stop digging? You've made your point on every aspect on O'Neill ad nauseum.   

That said, I have to say you did O'Neill genuine credit (not through gritted teeth either) the night we beat Bosnia and qualified for France.  

Any Irish manager that achieves two playoffs in a row from a limited squad has done a fantastic job and deserves another campaign. 

Actually disagree with you that Trap should've gone after the Euros. 2 playoff campaigns irrespective of whether we qualified or not or got hammered in the finals, for me any Irish manager deserves another campaign on the back of that no matter how much I disagreed with his tactics/selections/communication issues etc etc. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 145146147148149 419>
  Share Topic