You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 144145146147148 419>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 10:28pm
The funny thing is MON pulled a masterstoke givig him the captaincy. He was our best player over the two games. I said to my mate on friday night thats bizarre giving meyler the captaincy. I said MON's decisions are getting more and more bizarre. We picked up 6 points. I was wrong, Meyler could now conceiveably be 1st pick and vice captain. Well done MON.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 10:32pm
Meyler is a big character, you can tell he would be a good lad to have in the dressing room.

I mean he's stepped up to the plate for us on a number of occasions, despite not always being an automatic at club level, not to mention that he regularly doesn't get a game for Ireland!

Had the pleasure of meeting him a good few times, genuine top lad!
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 10:43pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Your wronging O Neill calling him a one trick pony.
He got his tactics spot on the last night.
From the time Allen went off the last day they went for it .we finished the half very strong
as a result of pushing up on them more and pressureing them into mistakes which ultimately lead to our goal.
And then he was confident we could see it home.

Also you don't do aswell as he did at club level if your a one trick pony.

I watched the game back in full.  We parked the bus the whole game and had one chance in the game and scored.  I suppose it seemed like a tactical masterclass. A bit Mourinhoesque Chelsea v Liverpool in 2014 when Gerrard slipped. Was that a tactical masterclass? I'm not so sure. Gerrard slipped and Chelsea were poxed lucky on the day.  I predicted on here that MON would keep it tight and wait until 75mins before attacking. We got the goal we needed earlier than expected and sat back the rest of the game. We had 30% possession yet again.  I thought it was a risky game plan and that we wouldn't leave ourselves enough time to score the goal or goals we needed.  Luckily it came off and he can be justified in saying the tactics worked. It could easily have gone the other way and he would have been made look defensive, cautious and stupid for not going for it from minute 1.

As for his league record. I'm underwhelmed by it tbh.  He didn't do anything special at Villa given the strength of the premier league at the time.

Here's a story from Matt Elliott about Leicester under O'Neill. It was meant as a compliment but I see it as poor management tbh. In 1996 Leicester worked all summer on 4-4-2 for their 1st season in the EPL.  Then the day of the 1st game of the season at Sunderland O'Neill suddenly informs tells them they are playing 3-5-2 without any preparation or ground work. The players laughed and got on with it. Elliott claims it was good management as it took the pressure off the players. I see it  as a scattergun indecisive haphazard approach.  Another Celtic player claims there was no tactics at Celtic just the instruction ''give it to Larsson.''   After he was sacked by Sunderland a few players claimed the training was a joke.

Bellamy's quote about him being missing from training all week was refuted by some on here as an unusual circumstance becuase his wife Geraldine was battling cancer at the time.  This was not the reason he skipped training.  This is ''a psychological trick'' Brian Clough employed in the 1980's as did Roy Keane who copied it at Sunderland in an attempt to relax players and lower the pressure of an impending big game.  The idea being if the manager seems chilled out then it will transfer to the players. Laughably this trick got Roy Keane the sack as the players were complaining they hadn't seen him all week resulting in Ellis Short phoning him on Friday as he was on the motorway to training on the Friday demanding to know where he had been all week upon where Roy hung up on himLOL Clough was a great manager in his era but these gimmicks are from an unsophisticated approach to football where pitch quality was poor, teams played more direct and tactics were much less sophisticated than they are now.   The ''give it to Larsson'' tactic is not O'Neills brainchild either. Again copied from Clough who told his players to ''give it to Robertson''.

Ironically Clough believed in good football. One thing MON didn't take from him. In this day and age you need more when effort is not enough.

Edited by Trap junior - 12 Oct 2017 at 11:12pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

The funny thing is MON pulled a masterstoke givig him the captaincy. He was our best player over the two games. I said to my mate on friday night thats bizarre giving meyler the captaincy. I said MON's decisions are getting more and more bizarre. We picked up 6 points. I was wrong, Meyler could now conceiveably be 1st pick and vice captain. Well done MON.

Fair enough. It's also [possible that he may play terrible in one of the playoff games and be never be seen again. Who will be captain in the 1st game given that Meyler is out? McClean this time?  MON has had more captains than the Starship Enterprise.

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

We needed 4 results to go our way before the Moldova match.  I believe the odds of it coming off and making the playoffs were 16% according to a stat I think you posted up here.   If this is what you posted then you are flip flopping. I think you yourself said we were f**ked. Now you are saying it was all quite likely.

Now back to MON.  I want a manager who knows what he is doing. Regarding Meyler. Imagine if Luke Shaw suddenly came into the United team and immediately being made captain. Its bizarre. McClean is captain material and a regular starter before Meyler came in.  Most managers might have given it to him.   I'm not saying Meyler isn't captain material. In fact I think he is a very hearty player if technically mediocre but its not logical to for a player not deemed good enough by MON to suddenly ascend from benchwarmer to captain.

MON is an excellent motivator. I always said he was going back to when he was being touted as manager. The problem is that's all he has got and that was my firm belief then and its an even firmer belief now. He's a one trick pony.  When the players arent at fever pitch motivation, which is most of our games you get terrible performances and his tactics become exposed to even minnow nations. We had Moldova and Georgia dominating us for large periods of the games.   90% of performances under MON are poor in fact. Look at this campaign and honestly evaluate the performances game by game.

As for Whelan I think he and MON were saying how integral he was to the team and then he is gone the very next game. Laughable.  Have they not seen him play for 4 years now? Are they only copping on now? If so they should go straight into the thick thread.

Another thing is that he seemed totally unaware that winning our last two games wasn't enough, that we had to rely on other results. He still didn't know days after the Serbia game. Bizarre.

First point: it wasn't me, it was someone else. At least, I don't remember posting that up, much and all as I'd probably agree with it. I'm not flip flopping: I never thought it was likely we'd win both games. I'd guess that maths included the odds of us winning both games, not the odds of us making it given that we won both games. The odds of us making it if we won both games were pretty likely. That's a very different proposition. I may have said we were f**ked, but not in terms of the unlikelihood of the other results coming off; I meant it in terms of the chances of winning both games.

On the second point, the Meyler point, I have nothing more to add beyond what I've said already.

And on the third point, turned out he was right: two wins was enough. If he'd known we stood a chance of missing out on the playoffs: would it have made us more likely to win in Georgia? Would it made us have play more conservatively against Serbia and play for the draw? Would it have made any difference whatsoever? I'm not so sure on any of that. Of course, he should have known, absolutely, and Michael O'Neill definitely knew, but he doesn't deserve to hung for not realising it earlier. He knew in time.

Finally, Moldova and Georgia dominating us for long periods? I'll take being "dominated" and getting 10 points from 12 every. single. time.

Take off the blinkers, kid. There's no way you really believe everything you type.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

I'm sure O'Neill wanted some sort of continuity regarding the captaincy.

With all due respect his hands were tied to a large extent.

McClean was suspended for the Moldova game, Whelan on the back of a below par performance against Georgia was replaced in the team by Meyler who got MOTM against Serbia. O'Shea is a bench warmer, Coleman was injured as was Walters! Also with Shane Long's worrying club form he may not have been an automatic choice to start against Moldova.

So Meyler was probably one of three choices who O'Neill would have fancied as captain, the others being Clark and Duffy.

All in all is it a big deal? No. 

Exactly.

TJ hasn't said who he would have picked. He's had a chance, hasn't said yet, and continues to criticise. There's no persuading him and none so blind as those who refuse to see.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 10:57pm
If it was me i would have given shane long the armband for moldova.

Edited by doherty - 12 Oct 2017 at 10:57pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I'm sure O'Neill wanted some sort of continuity regarding the captaincy.

With all due respect his hands were tied to a large extent.

McClean was suspended for the Moldova game, Whelan on the back of a below par performance against Georgia was replaced in the team by Meyler who got MOTM against Serbia. O'Shea is a bench warmer, Coleman was injured as was Walters! Also with Shane Long's worrying club form he may not have been an automatic choice to start against Moldova.

So Meyler was probably one of three choices who O'Neill would have fancied as captain, the others being Clark and Duffy.

All in all is it a big deal? No. 

Exactly.

TJ hasn't said who he would have picked. He's had a chance, hasn't said yet, and continues to criticise. There's no persuading him and none so blind as those who refuse to see.

And what can you see exactly?  Any ecxuse for a sing song and a piss up? I see a team playing dire stuff and relying on series of others results and somehow end up coming out of things rosy.  MON is like Homer Simpson int the nuclear plant who does everything wrong but still ends up landing on his feet.
Related image

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:16pm

From the time Allen went off the last day they went for it .we finished the half very strong
as a result of pushing up on them more and pressureing them into mistakes which ultimately lead to our goal.

I watched the game back in full.  We parked the bus the whole game and had one chance in the game and scored.  I suppose it seemed like a tactical masterclass. A bit Mourinhoesque Chelsea v Liverpool in 2014 when Gerrard slipped. Was that a tactical masterclass? I'm not so sure. Gerrard slipped and Chelsea were poxed lucky on the day.  I predicted on here that MON would keep it tight and wait until 75mins before attacking. We got the goal we needed earlier than expected and sat back the rest of the game. We had 30% possession yet again.  I thought it was a risky game plan and that we wouldn't leave ourselves enough time to score the goal or goals we needed.  Luckily it came off and he can be justified in saying the tactics worked. It could easily have gone the other way and he would have been made look defensive, cautious and stupid for not going for it from minute 1.

As for his league record. I'm underwhelmed by it tbh.  He didn't do anything special at Villa given the strength of the premier league at the time.

Here's a story from Matt Elliott about Leicester under O'Neill. It was meant as a compliment but I see it as poor management tbh. In 1996 Leicester worked all summer on 4-4-2 for their 1st season in the EPL.  Then the day of the 1st game of the season at Sunderland O'Neill suddenly informs tells them they are playing 3-5-2 without any preparation or ground work. The players laughed and got on with it. Elliott claims it was good management as it took the pressure off the players. I see it  as a scattergun indecisive haphazard approach.  Another Celtic player claims there was no tactics at Celtic just the instruction ''give it to Larsson.''   After he was sacked by Sunderland a few players claimed the training was a joke.

Bellamy's quote about him being missing from training all week was refuted by some on here as an unusual circumstance becuase his wife Geraldine was battling cancer at the time.  This was not the reason he skipped training.  This is ''a psychological trick'' Brian Clough employed in the 1980's as did Roy Keane who copied it at Sunderland in an attempt to relax players and lower the pressure of an impending big game.  The idea being if the manager seems chilled out then it will transfer to the players. Laughably this trick got Roy Keane the sack as the players were complaining they hadn't seen him all week resulting in Ellis Short phoning him on Friday as he was on the motorway to training on the Friday demanding to know where he had been all week upon where Roy hung up on himLOL Clough was a great manager in his era but these gimmicks are from an unsophisticated approach to football where pitch quality was poor, teams played more direct and tactics were much less sophisticated than they are now.   The ''give it to Larsson'' tactic is not O'Neills brainchild either. Again copied from Clough who told his players to ''give it to Robertson''.

In this day and age you need more when effort is not enough.

The risk he took was at the start of the game and let them come at us had they scored we may have been in trouble but they didn't.
We enjoyed our best spell of the first half the 6 or 7 minutes before the break
Keane went and spoke with the full backs durning Allens treatment and we went for it from this point in particular pressing them higher up the pitch Hendrick even said they spoke about it at half when he was interviewed afrter the game.

He did well with Leicester.
He got Celtic to UEFA Cup Final losing to Porto who would go into win the champions league the year after.
And evidently you don't have a clue about villa.

All this points to more than a one trick pony conservative yes but more than a one trick pony fur sure.

To be fair your hatred of him is borderline obsessional.

Edited by Fruice - 12 Oct 2017 at 11:33pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:25pm
You want a simpsons reference?

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:33pm

In this day and age you need more when effort is not enough.

The risk he took was at the start of the game and let them come at us hadvtgry scored we may have been in trouble but they didn't.
We enjoyed our spell of the first half the 6 or 7 minutes after before the break Keane went and spoke with the full backs durning Allens treatment and we went for it mired from this point in particular pressing them higher up the pitch Hendrick even said they spoke about it at half when he was interviewed afrter the game.

He did well with Leicester.
He got Celtic to UEFA Cup Final losing to Porto who would go into win the champions league the year after.
And evidently you don't have a clue about villa.

All this points to more than a one trick pony conservative yes but more than a one trick pony fur sure.

To be fair your hatred of him is borderline obsessional.

Celtic getting to a UEFA Cup Final is nothing special.  Rangers did it. Middlesbrough did it. Fulham did it. Big deal.   Tell me about his great Villa days so. They were bankrolled by Lerner 's personal fortune and still finished behind David Moyes teams!  Lerner bankrolled O'Neill so much he went into debt doubling  the players wage bill and spending money on MON signings. He continued to bankroll MON  until he wanted money to squander on an Emile Heskey clone factory and was told to get lost. 

Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:34pm
Four points against the top seeds in two consecutive campaigns, including against World Champions Germany. Hard to see us bettering that regardless of any change in style. 
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

You want a simpsons reference?

I'm only as repetitive as the long balls MON has Eire playing.

o_faz View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote o_faz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:41pm
This has been an interesting read but ultimately it comes down to opinions.

Its clear that Trap Junior is not a fan of the style of play with which we have conducted ourselves under MONs tenure, but presumably you are happy with the outcomes?

Did you see the last 16 of the Euros as a success or failure?

Would you see losing in the play offs as a success or failure if it was to happen? Or neither?

Remove your clear dislike of Martin O'Neill and answer the questions subjectively. I've seen alot of rhetoric about our 'hoofball' style of play but Ive yet to watch any of the players we have put out show that we can play anything but a direct style.

Now lets go back to the earlier questions. Presumably even you through gritted teeth might acknowledge the Euros was a success, glorious failure in the WC might not.

My final question to you - would you rather we played a passing game and didnt qualify or the direct style we employ and do?

Its my honest opinion that O'Neill and Keane have weighed up the quality of the squad available to them and decided the way they are going to play. Keane in particular enjoyed a stellar career with success at domestic and european level alongside some of the greatest players of his era, so even if you doubt O'Neill, Id back Keane knowing a footballer when he sees one.

Here is the interesting variable - we arent in and around the camp building upto games. We only get what is fed to us by the media and the odd nugget of information/hearsay from a forum member claiming to have inside info. Which leads me onto...

Captaincy selection. McClean might be a regular starter but picking him for captaincy would be a massive no-no. He was excellent v Wales but his discipline lets him down and his ability to throw in a rash challenge doesnt make him a candidate.

Perhaps Meyler has shown himself to be a strong and vocal member of the group in the team environment. Perhaps he is well respected, applies himself professionally and is an all round good bloke. Perhaps they feel he will handle the media better then, for example, Shane Long (1 goal in 24 games) or others.

Ultimately though, whether Trap Junior or any other of his naysayers like it or not, and despite you not liking his style of play, he has actually had to make some decisions that have got us to where we are. He is the reason we have exceeded mine and many other Ireland fans expectations in the past 4 years.

Do you honestly think we have the players to knock it around and carve teams up or do you just want that because you see other more technically proficient teams do it? We've been playing direct for as long as I can remember watching and that wont change, O'Neill or not.

There are 54 teams in European qualifying of which 13 (plus Russia) get a place. Thats roughly a 25% chance of making it. Add into the mix that according to the seedings we are amongst the 28th-36th best teams for it and our chance diminishes even further. Despite your constant reminders that Wales would (and were) be nothing without Bale there are many other teams that are reliant on one, maybe a handful of players. You may disagree but I wouldnt see any of our players walking into any of the best international sides. We simply dont have that luxury which makes what we are doing all the more remarkable.

And yet you are moaning because MON doesnt play more attractive football.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:43pm
Pro Trapattoni supporter lauds Traps use of 4-4-2 and direct brand of football.

Pro Trapattoni supporter criticizes O"Neills use of 4-4-2 and direct brand of football.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:51pm
Villa enjoyed there most constant success in their recent history under o Neill getting them very close to champions league football losing a league cup final and an fa cup simi final.
All the while playing nice football.
The wage bill did increase but was due to bringing in an increased number of players.

Any points that a valid you either dismiss as meaningless or chose to ignore them.

These discussions are pointless as you refuse to acknowledge any of his good work instead you choose to point that Ireland play poor football under him and ignore the results.
Trap we have been playing similar football to this for the best part of 30 years
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:52pm

Pro Trapattoni supporter lauds Traps use of 4-4-2 and direct brand of football.

Pro Trapattoni supporter criticizes O"Neills use of 4-4-2 and direct brand of football.

You don't seem able to understand things too well. I criticised MON's approach of changing systems at no notice not the system itself FFS.  If anything MON should go full hog hoofball and play 442 and put Duffy and Murphy up front and lash balls at them instead of lashing long hopeful balls up to a lone striker who cant run.

Edited by Trap junior - 12 Oct 2017 at 11:52pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 144145146147148 419>
  Share Topic