You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141142143144145 419>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Lads will ye stop.
We are so average ''tis beyond funny we don't have one champions league player in our squad and is it one europa league player.
We are punching away above our level.
To have the results we have had over the past 4 years is fabulous.

I Genuinely don't feel we would have done better had we tried to play the beatiful game.
We would be too open and don't have the players to put the ball in back of the net should we create extra chances.
The way we approach games currently suits our squad best.
Maguire, Horgan and who else?
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Sponsored Links

Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 9:31am
The funny thing is Trap Wales record in the group was the same amount of goals conceded as us and only one more goal scored. That is with one of the top 5 players in the world in their team. Hardly setting the world on fire are they. Fairly turgid to watch themselves, yet Coleman is lauded and MON is a dinosaur.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

The funny thing is Trap Wales record in the group was the same amount of goals conceded as us and only one more goal scored. That is with one of the top 5 players in the world in their team. Hardly setting the world on fire are they. Fairly turgid to watch themselves, yet Coleman is lauded and MON is a dinosaur.

That is with Bale missing the last 2 games which is 20% of the group.
Where did I laud him? Said at least he tried to be positive there a month or two ago. I think my words were "Im not saying he's a great manager but at least he tries to be positive" or words to that effect. Hardly lauding him.

I watched the full match back last night. They were the only team playing football. We parked thr bus for 90mins.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Most of the evidence would be to the contrary on that one. We really don't give ourselves any credit, we aren't a top tier nation but we're in there with the best of the rest. People seem to be under the impression that every other nation is filled with great players, they aren't, most are in a similar position to us, an abundance of useful players and a few good ones.

Exactly MON has the worst group of Irish players in terms of quality in my lifetime but has on many occasions got the best out of them we finished second in a group where we were the fourth seeded team.

That's the exact opposite of what I'm saying. Our lack of quality now is exaggerated as is our supposed abundance of it in the past. People think because we had guys playing for Liverpool/Arsenal etc. 20 years ago that that means we had far better players, when the reality is that Liverpool/Arsenal etc. just had a far smaller pool of talent to choose from 20 years ago... Jason McAteer, Phil Babb etc. would get nowhere near a top-4 side in this era, they'd be playing for mid-table sides like Brady, McClean, Long and so on are today. We're certainly not as good as we were in the late 80's and early 90's, but the difference in quality is overstated. We have a reasonably good squad of players by international standards and that is why we qualified for the last 2 Euros, and made 2 out of the last 3 World Cup playoffs. If our players were as bad as some suggest, it wouldn't matter how good a manager we had had, we simply wouldn't have achieved those things.
We're decent enough..
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

That is with Bale missing the last 2 games which is 20% of the group.
Where did I laud him? Said at least he tried to be positive there a month or two ago. I think my words were "Im not saying he's a great manager but at least he tries to be positive" or words to that effect. Hardly lauding him.

I watched the full match back last night. They were the only team playing football. We parked thr bus for 90mins.

And seamus coleman is an attacking outlet big time for us. As important to our team as Bale is to theirs. He missed 50% of the games. What I am saying is with all his trying to be positive and trying to play football his team managed one more goal in the campaign than us and the same goals conceded. I watched a few Wales games and they were turgid enough- not great to watch by any means. I would like to see us play better football and start hoolahan more to if I am honest. But the record MON has in the group speaks for itself. Small margins stuff but it worked. We finished 2nd.

Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:20am

That's the exact opposite of what I'm saying. Our lack of quality now is exaggerated as is our supposed abundance of it in the past. People think because we had guys playing for Liverpool/Arsenal etc. 20 years ago that that means we had far better players, when the reality is that Liverpool/Arsenal etc. just had a far smaller pool of talent to choose from 20 years ago... Jason McAteer, Phil Babb etc. would get nowhere near a top-4 side in this era, they'd be playing for mid-table sides like Brady, McClean, Long and so on are today. We're certainly not as good as we were in the late 80's and early 90's, but the difference in quality is overstated. We have a reasonably good squad of players by international standards and that is why we qualified for the last 2 Euros, and made 2 out of the last 3 World Cup playoffs. If our players were as bad as some suggest, it wouldn't matter how good a manager we had had, we simply wouldn't have achieved those things.
ClapClapClap

I've said something similar in the past.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
tony grealish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:32am

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Most of the evidence would be to the contrary on that one. We really don't give ourselves any credit, we aren't a top tier nation but we're in there with the best of the rest. People seem to be under the impression that every other nation is filled with great players, they aren't, most are in a similar position to us, an abundance of useful players and a few good ones.

Exactly MON has the worst group of Irish players in terms of quality in my lifetime but has on many occasions got the best out of them we finished second in a group where we were the fourth seeded team.

Great post, spot on. It was an awful lot easier to get to play for the top English sides at a time when those sides were made up exclusively of players from ourselves, England, Scotland, Wales and NI.
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''
Larsson7 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larsson7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 12:05pm

TOS - Is Phil Babb really any worse than Klavan, Gomez etc, or Mc Ateer not fit to lace  Wijnaldums boots.  Taking the Liverpool squad of 20 years ago as a yard stick, would you consider a squad containing the likes of Carragher, Owen, Fowler, Mc Mannaman, Karl Heinz Reidle, Collymore, Jamie Redknapp etc not to be the equal of any thing Klopp has at his disposal.

I think the tendency is to over exaggerate how good the top teams in England are at the moment. Our great players of the past would still stand up to scrutiny if playing today. The likes of Keane x 2, Irwin, Mc Grath, Whlean, Aldridge, Houghton, Staunton,Duff, etc etc would always be at the top end of that league. 

To my minds eye we currently have a group of lower end plodders who are big on commitment buy low on star quality. The majority play yard dog roles for premier league teams who's aim is to avoid the bottom 6, while those outside the top league are involved in a war of attrition to get into the top six of the Championship. Just because some of our players rub shoulders with Aguero, Sanchez, Pogba etc on a weekly basis, doesn't me they are skilled operators at the top level. European teams of similar stature to us have the luxury of calling on Bale,  Alabba, Eriksen , lewandowski, Modric, etc we just don't have creative players at that level. My feeling is that O'Neill's motivation and low risk strategy is keeping our heads above water.

Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 1:05pm
I'd obviously prefer us to be playing good football all the time and would prefer to see Hoolihan on the pitch more often than not, but the reality is we've a lot of individual limitations. Our best striker has a goal record of 1 goal in his last 42 games for club and country, which is poor any way you look at it. Walters is at the tail end of his career. McClean is a great worker with a great attitude but struggles at times in games where we have loads of possession and opportunities to cross etc, same for McGeady. As much as I dislike the style of play at times, it's a results business and getting to the play-offs for two consecutive tournaments (with possibly two qualifications) is around what we can realistically hope for with this set of players I think. 
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 1:14pm
The reality is that 25 years ago the English game was exclusively composed of players from Britain and Ireland, that necessitates that there was far, far less competition for places and less choice for clubs. The internationalisation of the EPL and even the Championship has raised the standard immeasurably and made it far harder to break into the top sides. The only Irish players since 1990 I would be certain of getting into a title-contenders side today are Roy Keane, Paul McGrath, and maybe Denis Irwin. You could make a case for a few others, but its far from a certainty.
We're decent enough..
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Disgusted he got a new contract, there was no merit for it whatsoever
Can only think you posted this after a spin on yer bike and the drugs had not worn off
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 1:25pm

The reality is that 25 years ago the English game was exclusively composed of players from Britain and Ireland, that necessitates that there was far, far less competition for places and less choice for clubs. The internationalisation of the EPL and even the Championship has raised the standard immeasurably and made it far harder to break into the top sides. The only Irish players since 1990 I would be certain of getting into a title-contenders side today are Roy Keane, Paul McGrath, and maybe Denis Irwin. You could make a case for a few others, but its far from a certainty.

Everything you say there is correct. But the other side of it is that if this current Ireland team came up against most of the Ireland teams from 15-30 years, they'd be hammered. Qualification was a lot harder back then than it is now.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 1:46pm
M O'Neill has been lauded for Monday nights performance as a tactical masterclass. To play devils advocate on the game...

Had any of Ramsey's shot, Clarks slice, RK's header (great save) or Chesters header gone in, would we have won the match ? Would we come from behind and win ? I doubt it.

Thankfully, none of those chances went in and we got out with the win.

I've been thinking back to the last time we came from behind to beat a really decent side in a  competitive match. Someone will no doubt correct me, but I have to go back to 1980 for an answer when we came from behind to beat Holland 2-1.

" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 1:50pm
Who gives a flying fck about what could of happened, christ on a fckin suzuki, would you ever fck off and enjoy the actual reality of the win, we go forward to the play offs and what will be will be 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Who gives a flying fck about what could of happened, christ on a fckin suzuki, would you ever fck off and enjoy the actual reality of the win, we go forward to the play offs and what will be will be 

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

M O'Neill has been lauded for Monday nights performance as a tactical masterclass. To play devils advocate on the game...

Mourinho has been praised to the hilt in the past for doing a smash and grab against Barcelona. This was a similar situation at a different level.

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 1:55pm

A Honda 50, get it right......
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

A Honda 50, get it right......
Wrong...... again, but what else would you expect when you talk through your forum name
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141142143144145 419>
  Share Topic