You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 383384385386387 419>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:53pm

Time/Date: 05:00, 22/11/2018
Activity: Agent O’Neill coming in from the cold.

Edited by Territorial - 23 Nov 2018 at 5:53pm
Sponsored Links

BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 9:57pm
How much was the pay off does anyone know ? The term mutual consent means f**k all with contracts involved.. has it been proven that they got the full €3m ?
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 10:02pm
Delaney said that if happens to pass MON in future he hopes that he will say hello and shake his hand.  Sounds like he wasn't too happy to be sacked.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Delaney said that if happens to pass MON in future he hopes that he will say hello and shake his hand.  Sounds like he wasn't too happy to be sacked.
Of course not.
He was doing such a great job.
Plotting and planning as to when Ireland was going to actually score a goal sometime well into the future.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 10:41am
wonder what job will he be linked to first....and would he bring keane on board with him again?
houghton88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houghton88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 11:13am
O'Neill knew he was going a long time ago and took the foot off the gas and put in a half hearted half arsed effort the last few months. 

I would say this was whey he wasnt busting his nut to get Rice back and was trying to disuade Obafemi form making a commitment aswell. 

And theres also playing Christie in Midfield!! Twice !! 
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 11:26am
Originally posted by houghton88 houghton88 wrote:

O'Neill knew he was going a long time ago and took the foot off the gas and put in a half hearted half arsed effort the last few months. 

I would say this was whey he wasnt busting his nut to get Rice back and was trying to disuade Obafemi form making a commitment aswell. 

3 times I believe it was
houghton88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houghton88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 11:37am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by houghton88 houghton88 wrote:

3 times I believe it was

think I had blocked out the third time from my memory. 
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Could picture you standing in Lille there shaking your heading and waving your fist in the air in displeasure. I agree that they had massive elements of fortune...Could imagine if you were a Greece fan in 2004 your sheer horror at your country winning a European championship.

Well it's a rather difficult issue to answer, as I am not a Greece fan, and my country has never won a European Championship. Or got as far as a final. Or a semi final. Or even a quarter final. 

Iceland beat England, Austria, and gave Portugal a bloody nose at the Euros. They had a great tournament and their celebrations were justified. We lost half our games and conceded double what we scored. It was an average performance from an average team with an average coach, not the wonderful tournament his fan club insisted it was. 

At least when Trap's reign started to hit the rocks, we came up short against Top 10 ranked opposition, full of world class players, at the very highest level. A world away from shambolic displays against Denmark NI and Wales B at home, and surrender jobs in Cardiff Paris and Turkey .
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 5:31pm
MON being offered the caretaker role at Man Utd with Keane would make my Christmas if it miraculously came about. I would actually stop my subscription to UK GOLD as there would be plenty of comedy on offer at Old Trafford.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

MON being offered the caretaker role at Man Utd with Keane would make my Christmas if it miraculously came about. I would actually stop my subscription to UK GOLD as there would be plenty of comedy on offer at Old Trafford.

Was thinking the same thing! They would make the Mourinho era look significantly more enlightened..
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 7:51pm
My first memories of supporting Ireland was Staunton’s reign so Martin O’Neill undoubtedly gave me some of my best memories supporting the boys in green. 

The results in the 1st four years of his reign were overall very good. He achieved some historic results for us which future managers will do well to emulate. The away draw and home win against Germany will live long in the memory. That home win against Germany was Ireland's first victory against a higher ranked team since defeating the Netherlands in 2001. The highest ranked team Ireland beat from 2002 to 2015 was Serbia, who were ranked 33rd. 

Since September of 2015, Ireland recorded wins against teams ranked 2nd (Germany), 12th (Italy), 13th (Wales) and 20th (Bosnia) - in competitive games. 

He achieved Ireland's first ever win on Austrian soil and it was Ireland’s first triumph against a top-two seed in an away qualifier since beating Scotland at Hampden Park in 1987. 

That just goes to show that Martin O’Neill turned this Ireland team around and made them capable of beating high-ranked opposition. 

What ultimately led to the rapid decline was the style of play and bizarre team selections. He’s right when he says Ireland getting to the playoffs of the World Cup was an overachievement. Austria and Serbia were definitely stronger teams and arguably Wales as well. Denmark is considerably stronger than Ireland but it was the manner of the defeat. It’s hard to get the fans back onside with a 5-1 defeat to anyone. His persistence with the hoof ball and park the bus tactics in the Nations League sealed his fate. Playing players out of position like Cyrus Christie in midfield was just lunacy. 

I won’t be surprised if Denmark beat us the Euro qualifiers but I reckon McCarthy will set the team up to have a proper go and that’s all the fans want after 12 months of boredom.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 9:00pm
If you want an indication of how much the Irish public fell out of love with MON's team, not a single Irish match ended up in the top 30 most watched TV programmes of 2018, whereas every single match of the rugby team was in the top 30, even the meaningless game against USA.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

If you want an indication of how much the Irish public fell out of love with MON's team, not a single Irish match ended up in the top 30 most watched TV programmes of 2018, whereas every single match of the rugby team was in the top 30, even the meaningless game against USA.
 none of them were available on free to air
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 9:36pm

Were any of them on free to air tv though? I don't think they were.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Really?

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Really?

Hardly huge games tho. 

When big football games are on they are watched by more people than big rugby games. RTE can try all they want, it will never change.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

Were any of them on free to air tv though? I don't think they were.

Oh that's right, I forgot that even the home games weren't shown live free to air. Having said that, they probably wouldn't have done very well.......there was practically zero buzz about the Danish and Welsh games after the initial horror show in Cardiff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 383384385386387 419>
  Share Topic