You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 338339340341342 419>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Late goals have been a feature of O'Neill's reign. 

I believe you are thinking of Kerr... ?
sorry, you're right, I'm an idiot

Harsh.....

But fair. Wink
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Sponsored Links

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 5:02pm
Pat Fenlon on RTE Radio implying that Delaney is the main problem. He believes most of the issues in Irish football trace back to him (without actually naming him) and that it's crying out for new people.
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by kimbap kimbap wrote:

Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

All well amd good sacking him. Nothing will change until there is change at the top

100% agree.

The problem is from the top down.
Unfortunately Delaney could murder someone in the centre circle of the pitch and still would continue in his role.Its utterly depressing and the main reason I stopped going to games.Dont even watch them on telly.

So sacking MON would have no effect on the teams performances or our chances of qualifying for the Euros?

No,it would probably help slightly. Bottom line  though soccer is a joke in this country.Its embarrassing .I'll be supporting Gaa and rugby and other sports I enjoy while that clown features is in charge.
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 6:40pm

All well amd good sacking him. Nothing will change until there is change at the top

100% agree.

Unfortunately Delaney could murder someone in the centre circle of the pitch and still would continue in his role.Its utterly depressing and the main reason I stopped going to games.Dont even watch them on telly.

So sacking MON would have no effect on the teams performances or our chances of qualifying for the Euros?

No,it would probably help slightly. Bottom line  though soccer is a joke in this country.Its embarrassing .I'll be supporting Gaa and rugby and other sports I enjoy while that clown features is in charge.

I’m sure you mean you’ll just take less interest rather than not supporting Ireland. And that is what will hurt. It becomes a snowball, people stop attending matches, tv attendances are down, sponsors pay less. Before you know it, we won’t even get the three friendlies from the likes of Rice. 
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 8:40pm
is there actually any fan out there that wants o neill to continue as boss?
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

John Delaney
The only way is up
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 8:49pm

100% agree.

Close the door on your way out. 

We'll just have to stagger on and cope without your support of our national football (soccer me bollocks) team. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

John Delaney

John Delaney is no fan of Irish football. He is a leech to Irish football. There used to be a time when I would be buzzing when an Ireland game was on that evening. I would be looking forward to it all day. Now I don't get near as emotional or feel that love for the team that I used to. As a big LOI fan I see what Delaney has done to football in this country. The LOI fans have been saying it for years, everybody else didnt want to know or care about Delaney and the jobs for the boys. It's depressing, it really is, to see the crap that is going on up and down the country and gives a real bad taste toward the national team. Nothing will change until the people at the top care about Irish football, really care and respect about ALL aspects of it. 
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 9:14pm
Just home from work and had a million thoughts on irish football going through my mind all day. As a player the highlight of any player is to appear at a world cup same goes for supporters. I was not in a position in 2002 to travel due to family reasons and before that I was too young and lacked the finances so like the majority on here we would all love to hear the national anthem on a world stage again. The thing is JD will now look for a short term fix should the fai decide to change our management team with euro 2020 around the corner but in reality seeing the boys in green playing at euro2020 in Dublin or Bilbao is only a dream at the moment.
However with plenty of potential in the U17's and U19's its time to concentrate on a few of these lads. Obviously these lads need to be kept well clear of the current U21 management team and the current U17 & U19 management team step up to the U19 and U21 set up respectively. 

We have two meaningless games coming up against Northern Ireland (friendly) and Denmark (Nations league) wouldn't it be great to see the likes of Caoimin Kelleher, Troy Parrot and Adam Idah get a few full international minutes under their belt under new management, In Kellehers case he probably should nearly be included on merit as Randolph has not impressed me the past twelve months anyway.  

For me this morning I felt I was more angry than disappointed but their can be a glimmer of hope at the end if a few small changes are made. I do feel euro2020 maybe beyond us but Qatar in 2022 could be my best chance of following ireland at a world cup. Ill be 47 years old by then, time is running out. 

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 17 Oct 2018 at 9:16pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Just home from work and had a million thoughts on irish football going through my mind all day. As a player the highlight of any player is to appear at a world cup same goes for supporters. I was not in a position in 2002 to travel due to family reasons and before that I was too young and lacked the finances so like the majority on here we would all love to hear the national anthem on a world stage again. The thing is JD will now look for a short term fix should the fai decide to change our management team with euro 2020 around the corner but in reality seeing the boys in green playing at euro2020 in Dublin or Bilbao is only a dream at the moment.
However with plenty of potential in the U17's and U19's its time to concentrate on a few of these lads. Obviously these lads need to be kept well clear of the current U21 management team and the current U17 & U19 management team step up to the U19 and U21 set up respectively. 

We have two meaningless games coming up against Northern Ireland (friendly) and Denmark (Nations league) wouldn't it be great to see the likes of Caoimin Kelleher, Troy Parrot and Adam Idah get a few full international minutes under their belt under new management, In Kellehers case he probably should nearly be included on merit as Randolph has not impressed me the past twelve months anyway.  

For me this morning I felt I was more angry than disappointed but their can be a glimmer of hope at the end if a few small changes are made. I do feel euro2020 maybe beyond us but Qatar in 2022 could be my best chance of following ireland at a world cup. Ill be 47 years old by then, time is running out. 

Dead right. Noel King (aka job for life) would bring them back to the acceptable neanderthal stage.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 6:45am
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

MoN's managment record makes him the best Irish candidate for the job by a longshot.

Fantastic success in his first real job in management at Wycombe and then at Leicester, who's fans revere him as their best manager ever after he won 2 league cups and had them regularly finishing in the top half of the EPL. The loyalty he showed to these two clubs marked him out as a manager of extreme integrity. 

Extraordinary success followed at Celtic, given that Rangers had been so ascendant for over two decades.
He was Celtic's most successful manager since the Jock Stein era. Getting them to an EUFA final was another high profile achievement.

At Villa, he rescued a basket case club and had them punching above their weight finishing regularly in the top 6 and got them into a major final, only leaving when his best players were being sold from under him.

At Sunderland he rescued them in his first season and was given a pittance in transfer funds in the second (compare his two half seasons to Di Canio)

I wouldn't have any reservations about his style of play as we've always played a similar sort of game, but unlike Trap his sides have mixed it up somewhat more and not solely relied on long ball tactics.

With O'Neill, there'll pride and passion in the shirt from every player.

We'd be lucky to have him, if he's interested in the job.

Bumping the first post......

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 7:07am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Feck me Kev if you think time is running out for you , what chance do some of the older lads  on here have Confused
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 7:33am

I'd keep him over some of the names mentioned here as his replacement. Felt the same about Trap when it became clear MON was looking like he was going to replace him. 
RKeane View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKeane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 7:43am
It’s now Thursday, why is he still in the job?Confused
YESSSS! IT'S THERE
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 7:43am
Says he’ll get us to euro 2020, when asked why he’s so confident his reply was “because I’m good” aye course you are. Dead
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 7:45am
Meanwhile, Slovenia have sacked their manager after one draw and two losses in the Nations League.
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

MoN's managment record makes him the best Irish candidate for the job by a longshot.

Fantastic success in his first real job in management at Wycombe and then at Leicester, who's fans revere him as their best manager ever after he won 2 league cups and had them regularly finishing in the top half of the EPL. The loyalty he showed to these two clubs marked him out as a manager of extreme integrity. 

Extraordinary success followed at Celtic, given that Rangers had been so ascendant for over two decades.
He was Celtic's most successful manager since the Jock Stein era. Getting them to an EUFA final was another high profile achievement.

At Villa, he rescued a basket case club and had them punching above their weight finishing regularly in the top 6 and got them into a major final, only leaving when his best players were being sold from under him.

At Sunderland he rescued them in his first season and was given a pittance in transfer funds in the second (compare his two half seasons to Di Canio)

I wouldn't have any reservations about his style of play as we've always played a similar sort of game, but unlike Trap his sides have mixed it up somewhat more and not solely relied on long ball tactics.

With O'Neill, there'll pride and passion in the shirt from every player.

We'd be lucky to have him, if he's interested in the job.

Bumping the first post......

What point are you trying to make by bumping a 5 year old post?
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Guppy Guppy wrote:

Big Sam would love Ireland. He could get drunk and pissed and our media would find the funny side in comparison to the english  press. Is Sammy Lee still his side kick? 

I think with Euro2020 being in Ireland, the FAI need Ireland to qualify so from a business perspective they need to spend the cash to make it. 

Lennon a cheap option? I think it would cost a few pound to get him out of Hibs, as he’ll take his entire back room team as well. Alan Thomson his trusty faithful.

Name me one coach that the FAI paid significant compo to put in charge before. Assistants don't count. 

There's a touch of the "Paul Jewell" about some of the candidates. As for Lennon, he's another washed up ex-Celtic head, whose level is the SPL. Allardyce would be even worse than who we currently have, and probably would be off as soon as a EPL club needed someone to keep them up. 

I said before that the job would be ideal for someone such as Slaven Bilic, and I haven't seen a better candidate yet. I know there's more chance of me getting the gig, than him getting it, but we need to seriously think where we want to be 5-10 years down the line, and there hasn't been much of that so far. Lennon and Allardyce bring nothing new to the table. Hughton had his chance with Kerr and didn't do a great job. 

MON would be long gone out of here if UEFA didn't hand third place teams yet another chance to make the Euros. We won't qualify for the next tournament with him there, as international football has progressed in the time since, while he hasn't. Even the basics are an issue for him now. That said, I don't see the point in removing him until this NL campaign is over. We tried to pull a fast one by sacking Trap with 2 qualifying games still to play, and our results nosedived over the next 12 months. Let him finish up the NL campaign fwiw, and then decide if we want the chance of progression or stagnation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 338339340341342 419>
  Share Topic