You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 142143144145146 419>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

M O'Neill has been lauded for Monday nights performance as a tactical masterclass. To play devils advocate on the game...

Had any of Ramsey's shot, Clarks slice, RK's header (great save) or Chesters header gone in, would we have won the match ? Would we come from behind and win ? I doubt it.

Thankfully, none of those chances went in and we got out with the win.

The above were all half chances - if even that - bar Robson-Kanu's header. In reality that was the one real chance Wales created over the 90 minutes. I don't really see the merit in wondering what would have happened if we had gone a goal down considering everything about our tactics on the night were clearly implemented to avoid this scenario. MON would have been well aware that we were extremely unlikely to score twice and so the team was set up to avoid conceding chances - at the expense of our attacking play. Basically it was clear in his eyes that not conceding was more important than scoring. If we conceded, at any point in the game, we were almost certainly done. But if we kept them out we always had a chance of nicking something at the other end and that's exactly how it panned out.

Sponsored Links

Larsson7 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larsson7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 2:28pm
Granted there's a more international flavour to the top flight in England than previously but our players are not excluded from playing for top four clubs we're just not producing players of the same calibre, there are a myriad of reasons for this which is another days work. Sadly we have no Irish players playing for the top end clubs because we have no one capable of operating at that level on a consistent basis. Not because the foreigners took our jobs. I would wager that if Frank Stapleton was playing today, he'd get in the Arsenal squad ahead of Giroud, Dave O' Leary would play ahead of the majority of Arsenal centre halfs in recent memory and Brady would give Ozil a run for his money.  Its not a case of if they were playing today they'd be Southampton players because of the foreign influence.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Who gives a flying fck about what could of happened, christ on a fckin suzuki, would you ever fck off and enjoy the actual reality of the win, we go forward to the play offs and what will be will be 
A Honda 50, get it right......
Wrong...... again, but what else would you expect when you talk through your forum name

I wish I was as clever and witty as you....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 3:18pm
If you only look at results then O'Neill is doing better than expected.
His goal would be to qualify for the Euro's and get 2nd place in World cup qualifiers.
He has done both AND added some big wins along the way - Wales, Austria, Italy, Germany.

To an extend I believe our tactics are spot on given our limitations. I do think we could pass it around more and be more composed on the ball but we are never going to be a Spain. We will always be better defending than attacking.

My main gripe is our level of performance. It really is up and down. You cant play your best every game but your level should not drop below a certain point. We were probably 8/10 against Wales but 2/10 against Georgia. There shouldn't be that much of a swing.

Overall I think we have the right man for the job and he is worthy of another 2 years.

Its still very difficult to get to the Euro's and nobody wants to be at home. I'd bet on MON getting us there.

Remember Greece 2004 - they played the most ugly football ever but they won. Thats all anybody will remember.

Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 3:18pm
Rewind to the Europa League Final where Mourihno was praised for his masterclass game plan against Ajax.

It was hoof ball and defensive football for 90 minutes and he had a far better side than the current Irish team.

If it's not broke down fix it. We are punching above our weight and MON has to be praised for the amazing results he continues to deliver
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

His goal would be to qualify for the Euro's and get 2nd place in World cup qualifiers.
He has done both AND added some big wins along the way - Wales, Austria, Italy, Germany.

To an extend I believe our tactics are spot on given our limitations. I do think we could pass it around more and be more composed on the ball but we are never going to be a Spain. We will always be better defending than attacking.

My main gripe is our level of performance. It really is up and down. You cant play your best every game but your level should not drop below a certain point. We were probably 8/10 against Wales but 2/10 against Georgia. There shouldn't be that much of a swing.

Overall I think we have the right man for the job and he is worthy of another 2 years.

Its still very difficult to get to the Euro's and nobody wants to be at home. I'd bet on MON getting us there.

Remember Greece 2004 - they played the most ugly football ever but they won. Thats all anybody will remember.

Evidently not, since you and virtually everyone else who has ever talked about a defensive style of football references Greece in 2004. Results are obviously the imperative, but the biggest lie told by negative-minded managers to placate a teams supporters is that no one remembers the circumstance of a victory/loss. Spain will always be the side who conquered the world with tika-taka, the Netherlands will always be remembered as the originators of total-football, Greece will always be the team who defended and hoofed their way to a European Championships. I'm not saying that that is necessarily a bad thing, but undoubtedly a teams approach to playing football leaves a deeper legacy than just the results they attained.
We're decent enough..
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Rewind to the Europa League Final where Mourihno was praised for his masterclass game plan against Ajax.

It was hoof ball and defensive football for 90 minutes and he had a far better side than the current Irish team.

If it's not broke down fix it. We are punching above our weight and MON has to be praised for the amazing results he continues to deliver

You mean The Poison One?

Asolutely horrible little scrote and plays football to match his personality

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 4:39pm

You obviously remember.  People remember the tpe of football teams played.  Brazil 1970 we remember that they played flair football.  Argentina 86 - Maradona and his spectacular goals. On the flipside we know Inter wont he Champions League in 2010 playing poisonous muck.  We know Greece won 2004 playing poison.  We know Eire played muck in 1990.

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Evidently not, since you and virtually everyone else who has ever talked about a defensive style of football references Greece in 2004. Results are obviously the imperative, but the biggest lie told by negative-minded managers to placate a teams supporters is that no one remembers the circumstance of a victory/loss. Spain will always be the side who conquered the world with tika-taka, the Netherlands will always be remembered as the originators of total-football, Greece will always be the team who defended and hoofed their way to a European Championships. I'm not saying that that is necessarily a bad thing, but undoubtedly a teams approach to playing football leaves a deeper legacy than just the results they attained.

But why do people reference Greece, because they won it. Nobody talks about the style of football of that Portugal team or the other semi finalists (Don't even remember)..... They won it and will always be remembered for that foremost.

The Dutch would prefer to be know as the winners of a world cup rather than total football.

Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

You obviously remember.  People remember the tpe of football teams played.  Brazil 1970 we remember that they played flair football.  Argentina 86 - Maradona and his spectacular goals. On the flipside we know Inter wont he Champions League in 2010 playing poisonous muck.  We know Greece won 2004 playing poison.  We know Eire played muck in 1990.

Idealism vs Pragmatism. Brazil etc had the players to play the ideal football. Greece had to be pragmatic with their limited resources. I am a results man. I accept sh*te football if it gets results- its when that changes I begin to question things.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Idealism vs Pragmatism. Brazil etc had the players to play the ideal football. Greece had to be pragmatic with their limited resources. I am a results man. I accept sh*te football if it gets results- its when that changes I begin to question things.

Who is asking for ''ideal football''? I want a team that attempts to play a bit as opposed to the Eire 1990 v Egypt launch it all day game plan and getting outplayed by Georgia and Moldova.  Lets face it we played against Wales no better than we played against Poland away in 2015 or Scotland away in 2014.  The difference is we had one opportunity and took it and Wales didn't take theirs.  It's still the same poisonous process of approaching a game.  O'Neill hasn't suddenly become a tactician. It's the same old same old but this time with a positive result-somehow.  Most Irish fans will settle for that so they can enjoy their nights on the lash and sing The McClean song for Joe.ie videos.

Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 5:23pm

Who is asking for ''ideal football''? I want a team that attempts to play a bit as opposed to the Eire 1990 v Egypt launch it all day game plan and getting outplayed by Georgia and Moldova.  Lets face it we played against Wales no better than we played against Poland away in 2015 or Scotland away in 2014.  The difference is we had one opportunity and took it and Wales didn't take theirs.  It's still the same poisonous process of approaching a game.  O'Neill hasn't suddenly become a tactician. It's the same old same old but this time with a positive result-somehow.  Most Irish fans will settle for that so they can enjoy their nights on the lash and sing The McClean song for Joe.ie videos.

It's not the same. O'Neill was still finding out his best team and trusted lieutenants against Scotland and Poland.

He knows now who he can trust and has a game plan.

It may be ugly but it's a results business and all anyone cares about is Ireland getting to a major finals (with the exception of some wingebags on here who won't be happy until MON is removed and replaced by a youngster looking to play 'beautiful football' and get spanked by the bigger sides)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 5:33pm

It's not the same. O'Neill was still finding out his best team and trusted lieutenants against Scotland and Poland.

It may be ugly but it's a results business and all anyone cares about is Ireland getting to a major finals (with the exception of some wingebags on here who won't be happy until MON is removed and replaced by a youngster looking to play 'beautiful football' and get spanked by the bigger sides)

He was in the job 1 year and 2 years respectively and you telling me he didn't know who he could and couldn't trust?  You are right about that. But you are wrong about he knows who to trust now.
At the Euros he made O'Shea captain. Then dropped him.  He made Whelan captain then dropped him. He had Meyler on the bench for most games and obviously didnt rate him as highly as Whelan and now he is captain. Make sense of that! There is no logic or train of thought to MON. Just a scattergun approach of trying this and trying that and still not knowing. If Meyler plays bad in his next game he'll drop him and make McCarthy or McClean captain.  He's a mad scientist still experimenting on the team without any real train of thought behind it.

What is his game plan do you think?

Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 5:41pm

He was in the job 1 year and 2 years respectively and you telling me he didn't know who he could and couldn't trust?  You are right about that. But you are wrong about he knows who to trust now.
At the Euros he made O'Shea captain. Then dropped him.  He made Whelan captain then dropped him. He had Meyler on the bench for most games and obviously didnt rate him as highly as Whelan and now he is captain. Make sense of that! There is no logic or train of thought to MON. Just a scattergun approach of trying this and trying that and still not knowing. If Meyler plays bad in his next game he'll drop him and make McCarthy or McClean captain.  He's a mad scientist still experimenting on the team without any real train of thought behind it.

I agree that his team selection can be inconsistent due to the fact that our players are all of similar ability. We only have handful of definite starters (Randolph, Coleman, Duffy, Clark, Ward, Hendrick) and there is always a few players missing through injury/suspension.

His game plan is simple. Against the bigger sides, keep it tight and a chance will come our way, which it always does!

When have we ever played 'easy on the eye football'? During our most successful period, it was long ball and we had a far superior pool of players when compared with what we have today.

If he qualifies for Russia, he'll go down as one of our best ever managers with a chance of achieving qualification for 3 tournaments in a row. 2 more years!
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 5:44pm
A mad scientist who has got us to the last 16 of the Euros and a playoff that two weeks ago you said was gone. 

Christ Trap you are nearly more indecisive than him. You constantly slate him and say he won't do this and won't do that then change your tune and say he didn't do this and he didn't do that. If MON brought us to Russia and we won the world cup you would come up with some sh*te about how we rigged the whole thing and that it was the worst football ever witnessed....all this while being out there on the piss celebrating the whole thing. 

I don't get you. I get your points - I do but timing here is crap. If you want to slate him, slate him if we fail to make it. Don't slate him after you WERE CONVINCED we would not win in Wales. Unless you forget what you said?

You even had a song about our chances. Or was it a poem? 

Edited by kearney304 - 12 Oct 2017 at 5:52pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 5:52pm

I agree that his team selection can be inconsistent due to the fact that our players are all of similar ability. We only have handful of definite starters (Randolph, Coleman, Duffy, Clark, Ward, Hendrick) and there is always a few players missing through injury/suspension.

His game plan is simple. Against the bigger sides, keep it tight and a chance will come our way, which it always does!

When have we ever played 'easy on the eye football'? During our most successful period, it was long ball and we had a far superior pool of players when compared with what we have today.

If he qualifies for Russia, he'll go down as one of our best ever managers with a chance of achieving qualification for 3 tournaments in a row. 2 more years!

My take on his plan is this: He tries to keep it tight and hopes a chance will come out way against the likes of Moldova as well. He also plays the same hoofball against every team. He makes a sub on 60mins and one on 82 mins. He talks about nicking goals instead of creating them.

Mick McCarthy played the best football in my lifetime. And before Roy Keane's name is mentioned let me say he played good football at Millwall and that is why he was appointed.  He also had no Roy Keane at the 2002 WC and we played lovely passing football and a bit of direct football too. A nice blend. 

If he qualifies for Russia it's a very good achievement. But he hasn't yet.  Depends on the draw.
As for Euro 2020.  I'd fancy myself to qualify us!  Who doesn't get in the Euros these days! 95% of decent teams get through qualifying now.

There's no game plan on set pieces either. Just hoof it into the mixer and hope for the best.

raclle View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

I love points

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raclle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 5:54pm
This thread is like someone with ADHD...we win give him an extension...we lose sack em.

Our away form could be better but its our home form that has suffered in the last few years. Its absolutely shocking. We really only start to play in the last 10 mins or if we go a goal down.

More offensive instead of being negative but that's down to management.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

A mad scientist who has got us to the last 16 of the Euros and a playoff that two weeks ago you said was gone. 

Christ Trap you are nearly more indecisive than him. You constantly slate him and say he won't do this and won't do that then change your tune and say he didn't do this and he didn't do that. If MON brought us to Russia and we won the world cup you would come up with some sh*te about how we rigged the whole thing and that it was the worst football ever witnessed....all this while being out there on the piss celebrating the whole thing. 

I don't get you. I get your points - I do but timing here is crap. If you want to slate him, slate him if we fail to make it. Don't slate him after you WERE CONVINCED we would not win in Wales. Unless you forget what you said?

You even had a song about our chances. Or was it a poem? 

Indecisive?  My opinion on MON has never wavered before he even got the job.  Where did I say I was convinced we would not win in Wales?LOL  The song was clearly ripping the piss and done for laugh.  God!  The playoff came about due to a massive slice of luck and opportunism. That is fact. I give O'Neill credit for winning in Wales but that was only half the bargain of getting there.  Scotland doing us two massive favours in two games had nothing to do with O'Neill and was pure luck and chance.

At least I stick to my point of view regardless of results.  I detest the approach to the game O'Neill takes regardless if the ball goes in the net for us or not. What doesn't change is his crude approach.  Other fans opinions on him will blow with the wind. If we get a win (irrespective of how we play) they are happy with him.  If we lose they rip into O'Neill.  All I see is the same hoofball and varying degrees of luck giving varying results.

''If you can meet triumph and disaster and treat those two imposters the same'' applies here.

As for the winning the world cup commentEmbarrassed  Yeah I'd be moaning alrightEmbarrassedLOL
Firstly O'Neills approach wouldn't get near winning the world cup and that's if he had Messi and Ronaldo in the team.  Secondly I support the team. Not the manager.  I'd be ecstatic if my country won it. Don't be silly now.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 142143144145146 419>
  Share Topic