Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 419>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:04am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Chris Hughton a better candidate for me, a young manager who plays attractive ball, MON plays similar style to Trap.

He doesn't really. 
Trap is a 4-4-2 man with full backs instructed not to overlap or pass halfway much

MON used 3-5-2 for a lot of his managerial career 

Incorrect, all of his time at Sunderland he played 4-4-1-1. Which is a bit of a problem considering we couldn't work that system against a team like Wales.

Wingers play very old fashioned, none of the cut inside stuff
Lone forward is not usually a target man type but a hold the ball type (Emile Heskey at his time at Villa or Bendtner at Sunderland) Doyle is probably the best candidate we have for that..

Thats why i said a lot. 
Leicester and Celtic he was 3-5-2 

Villa i think he changed to 4-3-3 if i remember correctly, with Agbonlahor and Young on the wings and Carew through the middle 
Sponsored Links

savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:17am
Sono,
Chris Hughton a better candidate for me, a young manager who plays attractive ball, MON plays similar style to Trap.
I'm a fan of Hughton but I know last seasopn when they were having their slump a lot of fans were critical of the ultra cautious defensive style of football.  Remind you of anybody??? A worry also is that it took Norwich a long time to turn it around.  When you only get 5 days to work with and develop a system and tactics would Hughton suit? 

Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Itsthere View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Itsthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:28am
Originally posted by stokes78 stokes78 wrote:

O Neill would hopefully embrace the idea of northern footballers playing for their country with their southern brothers.  FAI and senior management should actively and openly be going after northern lads from under 16 level to play for us as is their right. None of this nonsense of not aproaching players. A lad from Derry should b no different than a lad from cork and should be invited openly to underage squads if good enough

This Thumbs Up

Its looking like MON is target no. 1 for the FAI. Whatever about the style of football - it couldnt be as bad to watch or as one dimensional as Traps. Aswell, he is known for his man mangagement skills (non existent with trap) and getting the best out of average squads (Celtic, Leicster, Villa) thats exactly what we need.

Cmon MON
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:28am
M'ON would be a great chice.  He plays decent football and as has been said likes his wingers.  With Brady, McClean, McGeady, "Pilks" it's our one area of strength right now LOL

He gave Wycombe, Leicester, Celtic and Villa fans the best days they have ever had or had for a long time.  He needs a good right hand man with him though.  It is worth noting Robertson was not with him at Sunderland, the one club he failed at (he quit Norwich after a row).  Communication and man-management were major issues under Trap and I don't see that being a problem under M'ON. 
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
GREENISLE View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GREENISLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:58am
how about liam brady as his number 2, would that work?
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:01am
Originally posted by GREENISLE GREENISLE wrote:

After he said all our young lads are poor, id doubt it

This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
GREENISLE View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GREENISLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:07am
Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

After he said all our young lads are poor, id doubt it

when he say that, the other night after the match? i just feel he would be good in some role maybe give him the role of youth developement then.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:09am
O'Neill is not the man for the job and I will give the reasons why.

Similar style of play to Trap - we may end up again hoofing the ball to 2 big lads upfront.

The absence of John Robertson - Robertson is the brains behind the success of O'Neill.

Not developing youth players - he was never a fan of using young players, always brought in and used older experienced players.

Only using a small selection of players - whilst at Celtic he only ever used a group of about 12/13 players. There will be uproar on this forum when he excludes a long list of names.

Not giving players a chance - he never gave fringe players a chance. (Westwood being the most notable one from an Irish perspective).

Tactically naive - never won away in Europe and threw away 2 league titles on the last day of the season.

He is a very good motivator and will inspire the players, but I think Ireland needs more than inspired players. We need a manager that can out-think the opposition due to the average selection of players available

A tactically astute manager with an attacking system is what we need.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:09am
Pretty much said it after the match

For me Id have him nowhere near the rte studio never mind the team.
If ye were to bring an ex player in as a coach/assistant, look no further than Kevin Kilbane
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:10am
Personally Martin O'Neill would be a very uninspiring choice for me. Would like a manager who actually has international experience. Feel if Denis O'Brien is putting the cash forward again, than we should cast the net out a lot further and not rush into any knee-jerk decisions.
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:12am
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

M'ON would be a great chice.  He plays decent football. 

He most certainly does not.
GREENISLE View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GREENISLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:14am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Similar style of play to Trap - we may end up again hoofing the ball to 2 big lads upfront.

The absence of John Robertson - Robertson is the brains behind the success of O'Neill.

Not developing youth players - he was never a fan of using young players, always brought in and used older experienced players.

Only using a small selection of players - whilst at Celtic he only ever used a group of about 12/13 players. There will be uproar on this forum when he excludes a long list of names.

Not giving players a chance - he never gave fringe players a chance. (Westwood being the most notable one from an Irish perspective).

Tactically naive - never won away in Europe and threw away 2 league titles on the last day of the season.

He is a very good motivator and will inspire the players, but I think Ireland needs more than inspired players. We need a manager that can out-think the opposition due to the average selection of players available

names then hb,who you reckon? at least a shortlist of 3.
Bibi Baskin View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibi Baskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:14am
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/martin-oneill-can-be-steady-pair-of-hands-for-republic-of-ireland-29572915.html

Think there is a mistake in the first line though LOL

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-12/o-neill-is-targeted-to-coach-ireland-mail-says-soccer-roundup.html

Approach will be made in the next 48 hours!

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/fai-set-approach-martin-oneill-2268143

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:18am

Rene Meulensteen, Bob Bradley and Bruce Arena are 3 candidates worth talking too.

All the candidates listed are definitely not worth considering.

I also believe that the FAI should look abroad again for a coach.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
GREENISLE View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GREENISLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:23am

Rene Meulensteen, Bob Bradley and Bruce Arena are 3 candidates worth talking too.

All the candidates listed are definitely not worth considering.

I also believe that the FAI should look abroad again for a coach.

i reckon that JD is in the jacks at abbots town choking his chicken at the thoughts of oneill being under him.
jinky View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Ireland's number one fan, ole ole ole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:25am
People should be delighted if o'neill gets the job,its not exactly a highly sought after job in football
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:33am
The merits of O'Neill style are open to discussion but what he does achieve is understanding his players and playing to their strengths. He will bring enthusiasm, passion and experience to the job as well as a comprehension of irishness and the irish psyche. And fundamenatally he wont alck in confidence and will offer players positivity instead of negativity.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:34am
Originally posted by jinky jinky wrote:

People should be delighted if o'neill gets the job,its not exactly a highly sought after job in football

We've never had a problem getting someone to do the job before Confused

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 419>
  Share Topic