You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 419>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Chris Hughton a better candidate for me, a young manager who plays attractive ball, MON plays similar style to Trap.

He doesn't really. 
Trap is a 4-4-2 man with full backs instructed not to overlap or pass halfway much

MON used 3-5-2 for a lot of his managerial career 

Incorrect, all of his time at Sunderland he played 4-4-1-1. Which is a bit of a problem considering we couldn't work that system against a team like Wales.

Wingers play very old fashioned, none of the cut inside stuff
Lone forward is not usually a target man type but a hold the ball type (Emile Heskey at his time at Villa or Bendtner at Sunderland) Doyle is probably the best candidate we have for that..
Sponsored Links

Stillhuntinghenry View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

MoN's managment record makes him the best Irish candidate for the job by a longshot.

Fantastic success in his first real job in management at Wycombe and then at Leicester, who's fans revere him as their best manager ever after he won 2 league cups and had them regularly finishing in the top half of the EPL. <span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;">The loyalty he showed to these two clubs marked him out as a manager of extreme integrity. </span>

Extraordinary success followed at Celtic, given that Rangers had been so ascendant for over two decades.
He was Celtic's most successful manager since the Jock Stein era. Getting them to an EUFA final was another high profile achievement.

At Villa, he rescued a basket case club and had them punching above their weight finishing regularly in the top 6 and got them into a major final, only leaving when his best players were being sold from under him.

At Sunderland he rescued them in his first season and was given a pittance in transfer funds in the second (compare his two half seasons to Di Canio)

I wouldn't have any reservations about his style of play as we've always played a similar sort of game, but unlike Trap his sides have mixed it up somewhat more and not solely relied on long ball tactics.

With O'Neill, there'll pride and passion in the shirt from every player.

We'd be lucky to have him, if he's interested in the job.

O'neills management record makes him the best candidate ?? I beg to differ - dave o'leary's management record

Leeds United

1998/9 -        4th EPL
1999/2000 -   3rd EPL
                      SF UEFA Cup
2000/01 -      4th EPL
                      SF Champions League
2001/2 -        5th EPL

Aston Villa

2003/4 - 6th EPL
2004/5 - 10th EPL

He's actually the most successful Irish manager that I can think of.
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:28pm
Even Sven is in the running... this is a long list

www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/rep-of-ireland/next-permanent-manager
Garak View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:58pm
I think MO'N would be a fairly safe choice, albeit slightly uninspiring.
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:08pm
If he gets it then think I'll become the new Trapnoclue/Rainpaulo Thumbs Up (without the abuse)

You can go down the route of getting a man motivator but did none of you learn the lesson of Trap, he was found out tactically in the international arena, MON would fail in the same manner only instead of picking up the away results he'd maybe win a few home qualifying games but fail miserably away from home, remind me again there of his away record in european competition Ermm 

How many goes in the champions league and how many times he get out of the group? And that was with one of the best strikers in europe at his disposal at the time, something this Irish squad certainly does not possess currently(an ageing Keane wont be able to carry him)

All that is before you even look at his epl record in a league where tactics play a lesser part as opposed to physical attributes

Any potential short list has to be based on the main quality first and foremost of getting results home and AWAY. Just hope the FAI once again avoid the media/public opinion and outcrys and sit down and thoroughly go through the strengths and weakness's of ALL potential candidates 
Sham96 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:14pm
The so called journos in the know and Dunphy have jumped way ahead on this one.  I was listening to BBC radio 5 earlier and the feeling in England is that O'Neill wantsone more go at managing a club side (even if it is a Championship team).  Not surprised his odds have started to drift this evening.    
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Sham96 Sham96 wrote:

The so called journos in the know and Dunphy have jumped way ahead on this one.  I was listening to BBC radio 5 earlier and the feeling in England is that O'Neill wantsone more go at managing a club side (even if it is a Championship team).  Not surprised his odds have started to drift this evening.    
SSN just said he was 2/5 for the job about 5 minutes ago.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by Sham96 Sham96 wrote:

SSN just said he was 2/5 for the job about 5 minutes ago.
He has drifted from 8/11 out to 11/10 on paddy power. Brian Mcdermott on the other hand has gone from 10+ into 12/5
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:27pm
Would the whole Northern Ireland thing not deter anyone else including Martin from taking the job?

In my opinion he'd be mad to take because he's opening else up to a whole lot of trouble from the natives up in Norn Iron.

I mean this has never been done before. The whole Celtic/Rangers thing is accepted as the norm in the country by now but lets face it lads nobody with this much history has crossed over to the Republic.
Granted we've had Gibson, McClean, Duffy etc....switch over but this will be nothing compared to the trouble that will be experienced should O'Neill cross.

At the end of the day he did spend his Northern Ireland days playing for Billy the Bigot!
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 11:02pm
Doesn't bother me in the slightest that he played for NI and I don't think many ROI fans would be bothered about it either if he did a job.

I'd guess he wouldn't give two hoots about the grief he may or may not get from the walking dead element that supports OWC

I'd put money on it that a fair few of the current NI players keep a very kean eye on our results and felt as dissappointed as we did last night and on Friday.
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 1:25am
Originally posted by PhilliyK PhilliyK wrote:

If he gets it then think I'll become the new Trapnoclue/Rainpaulo Thumbs Up (without the abuse)

You can go down the route of getting a man motivator but did none of you learn the lesson of Trap, he was found out tactically in the international arena, MON would fail in the same manner only instead of picking up the away results he'd maybe win a few home qualifying games but fail miserably away from home, remind me again there of his away record in european competition Ermm 

Trap's biggest failings were falling out with players, not trusting youth and not altering tactics home or away, insisting that virtually ALL of our players were technically not very proficient.
O'Neill's sides were never exclusively hoofers.  As recently evidenced by McClean and many more before, he's not afraid to place trust in SOME young players.

Quote How many goes in the champions league and how many times he get out of the group? And that was with one of the best strikers in europe at his disposal at the time, something this Irish squad certainly does not possess currently(an ageing Keane wont be able to carry him)
In the EUFA cup final year, they only lost only once away from home. In most international qualifying groups, if a side wins all the home games and beats the lesser seeds away, they'd likely achieve 2nd place as a minimum. Anyway, any new manager will have the same striking problems. In the CL, they often overachieved, in comparism to similar weighted sides from Europe's lesser leagues. 
Quote All that is before you even look at his epl record in a league where tactics play a lesser part as opposed to physical attributes
I acknowledge that he'll have to work with whatever players he's got, which may stunt his tactics, but he's adaptable. His record in the EPL with lesser lights is very good. Is that not what/where we are?
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 1:39am
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

O'neills management record makes him the best candidate ?? I beg to differ - dave o'leary's management record

Leeds United

1998/9 -        4th EPL
1999/2000 -   3rd EPL
                      SF UEFA Cup
2000/01 -      4th EPL
                      SF Champions League
2001/2 -        5th EPL

Aston Villa

2003/4 - 6th EPL
2004/5 - 10th EPL

He's actually the most successful Irish manager that I can think of.

Yet he won nothing, nor got sides to cup finals. O'Leary inherited George Graham's wonderfully constructed Leeds side and despite early promise, he ruined it, spending what was then a kings ransom and then failing to keep them in the CL places, which contributed hugely to that clubs demise and his own sacking. The CL SF was brilliant but he failed to build on that.

At Villa, the decline accelerated in the next season, when they narrowly avoided relegation then he was fired.

He was also fired out in the UAE, after more failings.

No thanks.

Edited by Stoked Up - 12 Sep 2013 at 1:43am
Peake View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 2:15am
O'Neill showed what he was all about during his spell at Villa, money money money. How will he fair under the obvious limited resources with the Ireland job? 
daffyp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daffyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 2:33am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Would the whole Northern Ireland thing not deter anyone else including Martin from taking the job?

In my opinion he'd be mad to take because he's opening else up to a whole lot of trouble from the natives up in Norn Iron.

I mean this has never been done before. The whole Celtic/Rangers thing is accepted as the norm in the country by now but lets face it lads nobody with this much history has crossed over to the Republic.
Granted we've had Gibson, McClean, Duffy etc....switch over but this will be nothing compared to the trouble that will be experienced should O'Neill cross.

At the end of the day he did spend his Northern Ireland days playing for Billy the Bigot!

Are you on drugs lad??
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 4:44am
CH won't take it and I'd prefer MON either way. He is the best we can realistically hope for and we'd be crazy not to be delighted with his services. He'd bring the passion and pride back at the very least Thumbs Up
jinky View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Ireland's number one fan, ole ole ole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:24am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

typical freestate partitionist poisin

Edited by jinky - 12 Sep 2013 at 8:03am
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:01am
Did O'Neill say a few years ago he'd like to manage us at some stage but felt it would be further down the line??
stokes78 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokes78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:27am
O Neill would hopefully embrace the idea of northern footballers playing for their country with their southern brothers.  FAI and senior management should actively and openly be going after northern lads from under 16 level to play for us as is their right. None of this nonsense of not aproaching players. A lad from Derry should b no different than a lad from cork and should be invited openly to underage squads if good enough
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 419>
  Share Topic