You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 419>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin O'Neill...
    Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:13pm
MoN's managment record makes him the best Irish candidate for the job by a longshot.

Fantastic success in his first real job in management at Wycombe and then at Leicester, who's fans revere him as their best manager ever after he won 2 league cups and had them regularly finishing in the top half of the EPL. The loyalty he showed to these two clubs marked him out as a manager of extreme integrity. 

Extraordinary success followed at Celtic, given that Rangers had been so ascendant for over two decades.
He was Celtic's most successful manager since the Jock Stein era. Getting them to an EUFA final was another high profile achievement.

At Villa, he rescued a basket case club and had them punching above their weight finishing regularly in the top 6 and got them into a major final, only leaving when his best players were being sold from under him.

At Sunderland he rescued them in his first season and was given a pittance in transfer funds in the second (compare his two half seasons to Di Canio)

I wouldn't have any reservations about his style of play as we've always played a similar sort of game, but unlike Trap his sides have mixed it up somewhat more and not solely relied on long ball tactics.

With O'Neill, there'll pride and passion in the shirt from every player.

We'd be lucky to have him, if he's interested in the job.

Sponsored Links

Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:15pm
Chris Hughton a better candidate for me, a young manager who plays attractive ball, MON plays similar style to Trap.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Chris Hughton a better candidate for me, a young manager who plays attractive ball, MON plays similar style to Trap.

He doesn't really. 
Trap is a 4-4-2 man with full backs instructed not to overlap or pass halfway much

MON used 3-5-2 for a lot of his managerial career 
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:20pm
Martin is the best candidate by a long shot.

...btw why would Chris Hughton even consider the job given his current premier league position. The job is for old folks or those starting out in their first job in management.

Edited by colemanY2K - 11 Sep 2013 at 4:21pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
wrestler313 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrestler313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:22pm
would take Hughton before anyone else but don't think he will leave Norwich unfortunately
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

CH is frying bigger fish
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:25pm
I think he could be persuaded to take it
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
Humpy Gussy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humpy Gussy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:27pm

Never happen this time round but I'd love Neil Lennon to manage Ireland. Maybe he'd fancy Christmas in Qatar in 2022! Thumbs Up

'Joxer Goes to Poznan' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEjtiJ9udkM
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:28pm

Didn't John Robertson look after all the training sessions when he was with O'Neill? Didn't come with him to Sunderland though and is recovering for a heart attack at present.

Would like the FAI to look further than just former premier league managers when looking to appoint our next coach. 

depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:31pm
Does anybody even know if he has an interest in the job?
tribalarmy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

At Sunderland he rescued them in his first season and was given a pittance in transfer funds in the second (compare his two half seasons to Di Canio)]

Blew over €30m on over priced British players again. That wouldn't matter when it comes to the Irish job though.

My biggest worries would be his performances with out Robertson, his absence at some Sunderland training sessions and his issues in his personal life distracting him from the job.

I'd say he'd be alright if he got the job(A Trap who doesn't ignore 20% of the players). The football would still be dull and he wouldn't reveloutionise Irish football from top to bottom or anything like that.

I'm hoping for better but he's a bit more inspiring than some names mentioned.(Roy Keane, Brady, Souness etc.)
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:33pm
I know 3-5-2 has died a death in recent years but we'd have a decnt enough team if that formation was still popular.

Westwood

Clark      O'Shea    Wilson

Coleman             Gibson      McCarthy          AN other

McGeady

Keane       Long

JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:38pm
MON plays a mixed style, he likes small, mobile mids in the center  of the team, he is the best candidate from the irish tbh.  I like Liam Brady also, he knows the game and he is a teacher.   But my best candidate is Bielsa, in a way similar to MON but a bit more attacking minded. 

He made Athletic of Bilbao the most brittish team from the spanish league, to change their mindset and they became very hard to handle. Remember their victory at Old Trafford in 2012.  The basques are very similar to the irish , Athetic only can purchase basque players, that made them like a national side before a club.

The edge between Bielsa and MON, is that Bielsa also handles the under age levels u 21, u-20, u-18 to work the mindset as a whole,  as he did at Bilbao, Mexico (Atlas  FC) , Argentina and Chile.

i dont know if MON would take charge of the under teams as well, something that it seems vital, to reshape the domestic game and built the future of irish football.

Edited by JAVIER - 11 Sep 2013 at 4:39pm
uibhfhaile View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uibhfhaile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:41pm
LOL
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:51pm

I'd be very happy with him. His style may be not the most modern but he would pick the right players and would be able to motivate them.
It would be a good job for him at this stage of his career also.

Mon MO'N!
El Puto Amo
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 6:55pm
MON with Steve Wilford and Neil Lennon as assistants/coaches with AN Other coach (a young expro who commands the respect of the team*)

*Kilbane maybe? He has a certain level of coaching badges hasnt he?
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 7:08pm
MO'N Clap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
GREENISLE View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GREENISLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 7:39pm
at least MON will play our best players in their best positions and will know how to change things around if its not going to plan. bring him on
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 419>
  Share Topic