Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 419>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin O'Neill...
    Posted: Yesterday at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

what did he say?

“It’s right up there with everything I did. But I never won over the media. I don’t know why, but I said in my book I was made to feel like an outsider. I was called the Ulsterman, I’ve tried to explain this… just recently I heard an Irish commentator saying we have had outsiders as managers, we had [Giovanni] Trapattoni and we had O’Neill.

“I’m definitely an Irishman. I’ve always considered myself an Irishman. No doubt about that. It does hurt me, of course it does. Deep down, at the end of it all, I honestly felt, from pretty early on, they were almost looking for the team to lose so they could have a go at me.

“I think they have started to realise the job is a lot more difficult than they thought it was. They had an experiment with a manager (Stephen Kenny) that didn’t work, whatever they say, it didn’t work.

“They couldn’t win football matches. It was all about this new style of play and here is the point, you are not a club manager, you don’t have these players every single day. The most important message which I think Irish football now realises is you cannot devise an elaborate style of play with the time you have with those players.

“Your job is to win football matches and try and qualify for competitions. The Republic of Ireland don’t qualify for these tournaments too often, which is why it was so sublime when we did. You have to find a way knowing that, even at home, you are playing teams who are probably going to have more of the ball then you.

“They haven’t been near a play-off game for years now. We lost a play-off game. I can’t say we got to Russia, so fine... the experiment after I left hasn’t worked, nobody can argue otherwise.”

Thought he was spot on there tbh. 

He might be a cantankerous and even petty auld sod but he achieved some fantastic results and qualification for a major tournament. 👏 

Edited by irishmufc - Yesterday at 7:18pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

Shermanator1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shermanator1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

what did he say?

“It’s right up there with everything I did. But I never won over the media. I don’t know why, but I said in my book I was made to feel like an outsider. I was called the Ulsterman, I’ve tried to explain this… just recently I heard an Irish commentator saying we have had outsiders as managers, we had [Giovanni] Trapattoni and we had O’Neill.

“I’m definitely an Irishman. I’ve always considered myself an Irishman. No doubt about that. It does hurt me, of course it does. Deep down, at the end of it all, I honestly felt, from pretty early on, they were almost looking for the team to lose so they could have a go at me.

“I think they have started to realise the job is a lot more difficult than they thought it was. They had an experiment with a manager (Stephen Kenny) that didn’t work, whatever they say, it didn’t work.

“They couldn’t win football matches. It was all about this new style of play and here is the point, you are not a club manager, you don’t have these players every single day. The most important message which I think Irish football now realises is you cannot devise an elaborate style of play with the time you have with those players.

“Your job is to win football matches and try and qualify for competitions. The Republic of Ireland don’t qualify for these tournaments too often, which is why it was so sublime when we did. You have to find a way knowing that, even at home, you are playing teams who are probably going to have more of the ball then you.

“They haven’t been near a play-off game for years now. We lost a play-off game. I can’t say we got to Russia, so fine... the experiment after I left hasn’t worked, nobody can argue otherwise.”

100% spot on from MON.  
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 7:07pm

what did he say?

Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 6:51pm
what did he say?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 6:07pm
He has a point, but he’s also a petty, embittered arsehole tbh. 
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 5:11pm
Ah you're just asking for it now with that last sentence..
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 5:05pm
There undoubtedly is a partitionist attitude found among many in the media, but MON's complaints are entirely self-generated. He has himself stated on numerous occasions stated that he does not view himself as being Irish, in a far more strenuous manner than I've ever seen anyone in the media hint at it. A persecution complex on his part to go along with his seeming inability to accept in the lightest hint of criticism.
We're decent enough..
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 4:58pm
Martin O'Neill OBE, enough said.
razzmatazaz View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 3:54pm
I've been hard on Martin but I've kind of come around to his point about the language the Irish media and some Irish people use in relation to nationalists from the North, some (media) which is by design and some which is down to ignorance.

Edited by razzmatazaz - Yesterday at 3:54pm
I will be in the bar
With my head on the bar
I am now a central part
Of your mind's landscape
Whether you care or do not
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 3:46pm
https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/the-martin-oneill-interview-i-never-won-over-the-media-in-ireland-i-was-called-the-ulsterman-im-an-irishman/a1508185912.html

Decent interview here with MON. His comments about certain people in the media treating him as not properly Irish are interesting but unfortunately not surprising. He's not the only one that happens to. A cursory glance at the opinion pieces in the Sindo most weeks confirm that.

He's definitely bitter about how things ended but I can kind of understand that. I think his first 2 years in charge were probably my favourite following Ireland, and he did get results. His personality, unlike Jack and Trap say, has tainted his legacy a bit
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Read his autobiography. Poor read like many footballers autobiographies. No insight into Clough or Taylor and just breezes through the interesting parts of his career. Literally only gave Ireland a few pages and discusses nothing of any interest. No game plans or his tactical thoughts on how we beat Germany or Italy. Nothing. More a ''we beat Italy and then played France only to lose out 2-1 but what a great achievement it was for us. The End.''

Does every chapter end with ‘ needless to say I had the last laugh ‘ 
...And now, we move on, to liars...

AP not FT Thumbs Up
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 8:57pm

Read his autobiography. Poor read like many footballers autobiographies. No insight into Clough or Taylor and just breezes through the interesting parts of his career. Literally only gave Ireland a few pages and discusses nothing of any interest. No game plans or his tactical thoughts on how we beat Germany or Italy. Nothing. More a ''we beat Italy and then played France only to lose out 2-1 but what a great achievement it was for us. The End.''

...And now, we move on, to liars...
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 8:54pm

Incoming……..

Edited by 9fingers - 01 Feb 2023 at 8:54pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 8:12pm

Read his autobiography.   Poor read like many footballers autobiographies.   No insight into Clough or Taylor and just breezes through the interesting parts of his career.  Literally only gave Ireland a few pages and discusses nothing of any interest.  No game plans or his tactical thoughts on how we beat Germany or Italy.  Nothing.  More a ''we beat Italy and then played France only to lose out 2-1 but what a great achievement it was for us.  The End.''

Close.  Close.

One particular chapter on Sunderland ended with and I paraphrase ''they sacked me. They were relegated shortly after''. 

The Ireland one ended with ''Andrews is now finding out getting results is not so easy.  Luckily he has been given more than ample time.''

The whole book smacked of childish bitterness and tryign to portray how good he was and how things always fell apart once he left/was sacked.

Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 8:07pm
Agree with the above. I bought it to read about Celtic and Ireland and ending up enjoying the bits about his playing career more. Rangers having his wife and daughter turfed out their hotel was about as exciting as it got.

Will end up getting pulped 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 8:02pm

Read his autobiography.   Poor read like many footballers autobiographies.   No insight into Clough or Taylor and just breezes through the interesting parts of his career.  Literally only gave Ireland a few pages and discusses nothing of any interest.  No game plans or his tactical thoughts on how we beat Germany or Italy.  Nothing.  More a ''we beat Italy and then played France only to lose out 2-1 but what a great achievement it was for us.  The End.''

'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by 1874eire 1874eire wrote:

Yeah I'd have to agree. As a Villa fan I was looking forward to reading that chapter but there was little enough of interest. Says little of interest, let alone anything controversial. For example, he mentions James Mccleans stance in regard to the poppy at one stage but never dwells on it or offers his opinion on the matter,  just moves on to the next subject. 

Yes you are right.  When I read that sentence I was expecting somethign along the lines of ''being from Derry myself I understood James position but ultimately decided to wear it myself. etc..  Even that would have been a bland answer!  But nothing.

What I took from the whole book is how insecure and narky he was his whole career and how he frequently fell out with managers, chairmen and owners. 

Even though I wasn't particuarly enamoured with him he had a fascinating career as a player and manager and thought there would be some good insights as to how Clough had Forest punching above their weight and how he then got the likes of Wycombe, Leicester and Celtic playing above themselves.
The book gave nothing away.  Then thought when I go to the Ireland chapter he would have a few pot shots but it didnt bar the one sentence about Andrews and the press.  No insight as to what he said in his team talks or his tactical approach.  It was one long bland summary ''we won the Coca Cola cup with a late goal.  A great achievement'' lots of words but said nothing.

My opinion of his management style hasn't changed since reading the book.  His forte I am sure is inspirational words and team talks that can make a player feel 10ft tall for the fever pitch games.  There is very little tactics or sophistication I'd say. A pure motivator.  Like Clough when he lost Taylor, O'Neill lost a lot of the magic once Robertson left his side and only had his motivation  skills to fall back on.  Robertson did most of the donkey work.

1874eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 7:00pm

Yeah I'd have to agree. As a Villa fan I was looking forward to reading that chapter but there was little enough of interest. Says little of interest, let alone anything controversial. For example, he mentions James Mccleans stance in regard to the poppy at one stage but never dwells on it or offers his opinion on the matter,  just moves on to the next subject. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 419>
  Share Topic