You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The need for a play-maker/trequartista

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldBawnHoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 12:29am
Would love to see King go with this on Tuesday

Forde

Coleman O'Shea Dunne Wilson

McCarthy Gibson

Long Hoolahan/Reid McClean

Stokes
Sponsored Links

trappedfor2long View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trappedfor2long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 4:07am
playmakers ? passing ? ireland ? yawwwwnnnnn i must be dreaming
i was gonna procrastinate but now i'm gonna leave it till tomorrow
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 2:16pm
Hoolahan will start tomorrow
Snagtree View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snagtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 3:39pm
         Forde/Westwood

O'Shea Dunne Clark
Coleman McCarthy

Mcgeady Hoolahan McClean

Long Keane
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Snagtree Snagtree wrote:

Forde/Westwood

O'Shea Dunne Clark
Coleman McCarthy

Mcgeady Hoolahan McClean

Long Keane

I like this formation,  but coleman for Mcgeady, Gibson for coleman,
Snagtree View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snagtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 4:01pm
have to have mcgeady javier. not ideal for coleman tho and yeah would like gibson in there
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 4:10pm
Coleman CDM???
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 4:15pm
Everyone playing football manager is a bit of a joke too.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Snagtree View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snagtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 4:15pm
fair enough yeah had to put him somewhere tho and we seem to love playing players out of position
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 4:19pm
I like Mc Geady but not in the winger's position, he needs to be involved in the game with Hoolahan, McCarthy and Gibson

My understanding is with the luxury of attacking mids and midfielders plus Brady, Pilikngton, McClean,  Ireland needs to play a solo forward,..Walters could play that role better and he can also, play the ball
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 9:15pm

Whatever about recent results, it's been a breath of fresh air seeing Hoolahan take to this play-maker/trequartista role so well.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 9:49pm
Or enganche as I like to call it
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 10:28pm
Or the hoar among the nettles roaring which I like to call it. Hoolihan is some hoar alright
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 7:57am
first takeaway from the world cup so far is that teams who have qualified are all footballing teams.
playing it out from the back , working the wings, a playmaker or in italys case two of them !

if MON continues the way he is going using wes or andy reid and hopefully finding a younger "enganche" ( maybe Hendrick?) then I am happy enough with that , the agricultural style made an absolute fool of us in Poland and if we have to spend a bit of time in the wilderness in order to establish a footballing style then I say fair enough ,

now dont get me wrong, we can still make France for sure but i think MON needs to lay the foundations , we actually have lads who can play ball and anyone who wont or cant should be shipped out imo..

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 12:16pm
I agree we have to change our style and pass it and maybe 5-10 yrs in the wilderness is needed to break free from the tripe we currently play and set the bar higher and try and meet it.  It would be painful though and many of us would want to go back to getting results by any means possible. I would fear that our rankings would see us 4th or 5th seeds which would make qualifying extrememly difficult.

I disagree we have the players. Anyone can pass it around when no one is not closing them down. Its ball retention, the ability to make options for yourself out of nothing. The ability to find space, and cooly find your man when you have no space as the opposition are all over you.

We have maybe 2 players who can do that. The rest to be honest cant.

I have come to the conclusion that we shoudnt play one up front. I think its a disaster for us whether its Long. Keane etc...

I think we need two up front to have any chance of scoring. 4-4-2 is finished yet would you trust us to play 3-5-2 or 5-3-2?  

I think if we play 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 like O'NEill seems to be favouring on we will have an awful campaign where we rarely score and walk off with 0-0 draw's at best against Scotland or Poland.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 1:47am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I agree we have to change our style and pass it and maybe 5-10 yrs in the wilderness is needed to break free from the tripe we currently play and set the bar higher and try and meet it.  It would be painful though and many of us would want to go back to getting results by any means possible. I would fear that our rankings would see us 4th or 5th seeds which would make qualifying extrememly difficult.

I disagree we have the players. Anyone can pass it around when no one is not closing them down. Its ball retention, the ability to make options for yourself out of nothing. The ability to find space, and cooly find your man when you have no space as the opposition are all over you.

We have maybe 2 players who can do that. The rest to be honest cant.

I have come to the conclusion that we shoudnt play one up front. I think its a disaster for us whether its Long. Keane etc...

I think we need two up front to have any chance of scoring. 4-4-2 is finished yet would you trust us to play 3-5-2 or 5-3-2?  

I think if we play 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 like O'NEill seems to be favouring on we will have an awful campaign where we rarely score and walk off with 0-0 draw's at best against Scotland or Poland.

A slight variation of 3-5-2 would work a treat imo.

3-1-4-1-1 with a holding midfielder infront of the back 3 and a playmaker behind our lone striker, McGeady and Coleman would have the discipline to play as our two wingers, both can defend and attack.

I'd love to see this being used aside from playing Germany, when I feel we'll need to pack out our backline. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 10:27am
Trying to copy teams is not the way forward, O'Neill should look at the squad and look at what is the best way for us to score goals, as that is the hardest part.

No point in engaging in a passing game if we have players who don't have the ability to complete a basic pass, which has happened in previous games.

He needs to develop a system that will suit our players strengths, so far he has failed to do that.

An example of this is Coleman - Coleman is our best player but has so far been poor, not because of the player himself but more related to the system O'Neill has deployed.

He needs to allow Coleman the freedom and space to get up and down the wing, and then have one of the central midfielder providing the cover.

GD - playing 3 at the back will not work because we don't really have the players, you need defenders with pace to play 3 at the back otherwise they will get exposed.

But O'Neill has not tried this so I think he will stick with the 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 12:46pm
With the level of player we have at the moment, I think 6 3 1, like the Czechs at Euro 96, is the way forward.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic