Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The need for a play-maker/trequartista

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 9:36pm
Ive been using 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 with my amateur team for a couple of years with varying success.
Most Irish lads dont understand it, some intelligent players do.
Signed a Turkish lad this season and gave him a free role as the trequartista.
He's tearing teams apart, scored twice today.
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Ive been using 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 with my amateur team for a couple of years with varying success.
Most Irish lads dont understand it, some intelligent players do.
Signed a Turkish lad this season and gave him a free role as the trequartista.
He's tearing teams apart, scored twice today.

That's the key here, no-one has said a player has to be world class to play that role Thumbs Up

I don't think anyone is saying that Wes is the savior of the Irish team or anything close to it, "but" the benefit of having someone who actually wants to get on the ball in a key area of the park would imo mean we are far more slicker and potent in an attacking sense. 

I have no doubt in my mind that someone like Robbie Brady could do that role with minimal fuss either if asked as he has the touch and passing skills that are required, where as the likes of McClean for example wouldn't.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Schillinger View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schillinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 1:25pm
Jamie O' Hara for trequartista ?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Schillinger Schillinger wrote:

Jamie O' Hara for trequartista ?

LOLLOLLOL
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 1:34pm
I think Zlatan is a knob but he was by far the best player on the pitch on Friday. It was like he was playing in slow motion when he had the ball. He sees and plays the game in a unique way that is a pleasure to watch. He is still a knob though
Just saying like View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The truth is out there

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just saying like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

I think Zlatan is a knob but he was by far the best player on the pitch on Friday. It was like he was playing in slow motion when he had the ball. He sees and plays the game in a unique way that is a pleasure to watch. He is still a knob though

Sounds just like our next international team manager

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 2:13pm
Anyone have any further thoughts on this matter, after witnessing the defeat to Austria?

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 2:23pm
Who was AO in your 1st post?
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
AlanH View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Anyone have any further thoughts on this matter, after witnessing the defeat to Austria?

I agree with the various points you've made about the 4-4-2 system and like yourself, would like to see us move towards a 4-2-3-1 system or similar, which is more conducive to retaining posession.  I wrote a piece about this subject for a blog back in June (see link below), which is a bit outdated now, but sums up my thoughts on the need for Ireland to modify its system.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Who was AO in your 1st post?

Must have been Alan O'Brien Wink
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 3:25pm
Would like to see an a front four of our most technically gifted footballers to see how it would work, lads who would be on the same wavelength as each other:

McCarthy Green

Reid    Hoolahan   McGeady
 Keane
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 12:43pm
Badly needed last night imo!!! 

fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 1:10pm
Honestly thought Kinger would have played it last night,having said that I think it may have been
too soon to try it against potential world champions with all the changes the lads have 
had to get on with during the week.I Think we may see a 4-4-2 on tuesday but I hope to god its gone 
after it.
golden tiger 2013 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote golden tiger 2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 2:55pm
The only play- maker Ireland have now is Stephen Ireland and its very doubtful if he will ever play for Ireland again. First of all, he has to establish himself in the Stoke team, and even if he does that, I don't think he will ever be the player he was . He really is Ireland's only hope . As I said before a lot of the so called weaker teams like Bulgaria, Slovakia, Turkey, Montenegro , Poland , Iceland , Israel, Serbia would beat Ireland at the moment. Ireland need a very easy group to qualify for euro 2016.

Edited by golden tiger 2013 - 12 Oct 2013 at 2:56pm
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by golden tiger 2013 golden tiger 2013 wrote:

The only play- maker Ireland have now is Stephen Ireland and its very doubtful if he will ever play for Ireland again. First of all, he has to establish himself in the Stoke team, and even if he does that, I don't think he will ever be the player he was . He really is Ireland's only hope . As I said before a lot of the so called weaker teams like Bulgaria, Slovakia, Turkey, Montenegro , Poland , Iceland , Israel, Serbia would beat Ireland at the moment. Ireland need a very easy group to qualify for euro 2016.

Wrong,  Mc Carthy is a playmaker, he is too young still,  Hoolahan is a natural born playmaker as well, different type mobile, agile, Ireland could do that and also Mc Geady could learn it...

Coleman was huge yesterday and Stokes also the 2 best players...the difference between a team full of confidence and other that didnt operate with that....Trap prefers negativity aproach
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 3:57pm
Stokes was one of our best players yesterday? Would you go way outta that he was garbage simple as. If he is the best we have for the future then we are in big trouble.

JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 4:38pm
Stokes was eager at least, and he tried something different ( to play ball)  he was nervous in the final touch, very nervous...but he will improve..
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 5:15pm
Nervous?Greedy more like.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic