Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The need for a play-maker/trequartista

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The need for a play-maker/trequartista
    Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 12:23am
4-4-2 is finished in modern day football, it went out with Ace of Base, Cassette Tapes and Pog's etc.

Successful teams (in their own right) can retain possession, link up well, go for the short pass instead of the hoof which is everything we do not or fail to do.

I firmly believe if the right team is picked in a formation where we can afford to deploy a play-maker/trequartista the rewards wouldn't be long in following. This has nothing to do with the calibre of players we have at our disposal because on tonight's evidence Sweden won't be going to far either, but to actually sit and analyze the link up play in our team would take up no more than 30 seconds of your time from the guts of 90 minutes action imo.

Intelligent footballers like Brady and Hoolahan for example would in my opinion work perfectly in a new formation where you are encouraged to link up play and if needed retain possession. Gibson would benefit us hugely in this side of things also. Even swap Gibson for a player like Meyler, who has stamina and aggression in abundance unlike Whelan.

Playing a formation like so would do wonders for us going forward. 

Westwood/Forde

Coleman     O'Shea        Dunne        Wilson

McCarthy            AO/Gibson

Brady/Pilkington    Wes/AO      McClean/McGeady

Long              

Edited by Green Devil - 07 Sep 2013 at 12:27am
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 1:35pm
Bump!

No-one any feelings on this matter? I think it's a huge deal in modern footballing terms imo. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

rainpaulo View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainpaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 1:43pm
If Ireland (Stephen) finds some form I would have him fighting for a place in the team with Hoolahan...
My team for Nov friendlies -
.....................................................Westwood.........................................
Coleman.........................O Shea.........Clark...............Wilson...............
............................................Gibson...........................................
....Brady................................James Mc..............Pilkington .....
........................................Hoolahan/Ireland......................
..............................................Long..................................

Subs would include Stokes,Andy Reid,J O Brien etc.
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 1:44pm
Green devil your spot on mate

Could do with AO developing into a top class player though

Trap is a dinasour. Last night was as bad as it got
Snagtree View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snagtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 1:48pm
hoolahan is getting old, would hate to see ireland back, don't think there is anyone else to play that role
rainpaulo View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainpaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Snagtree Snagtree wrote:

hoolahan is getting old, would hate to see ireland back, don't think there is anyone else to play that role

Hoolahan getting on alright (31)....the guy that ended our World Cup last night is 37.

Edited by rainpaulo - 07 Sep 2013 at 2:00pm
Snagtree View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snagtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 2:01pm
fair point
Weser777 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weser777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 2:12pm
Hoolahan is 31 - we'll get one more campaign out of him, two if we're lucky...cant understand people looking to him as some sort of saviour, considering his age...yeah, I wanna see him play, but lets get a new manager first, n then worry about who should be playing....
"I'm not the best manager in the world, but I'm definitely in the top one!" - Brian Clough
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 2:25pm
Playing in "the hole" behind a striker doesn't require huge amounts of stamina, look at Totti and as Rainpaulo pointed a 37 ended our hopes last night and he was playing in CM?

Intelligent players don't need great pace, nor need to use up huge amounts of energy. 

If our squad learned to retain possession a bit more, we wouldn't need to look so desperate by hoofing non-stop which in turn gives the ball back to our opposition.

We never score 4/5 goals against weak sides, nor do we really score more than 1/2 goals a game if we happen to get good results against better sides, so why not stick with the values of being a solid unit defensively, "but" allow our midfielders more time on the ball to link up with our striker by having a link man i.e. the playmaker in there?

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

4-4-2 is finished in modern day football, it went out with Ace of Base, Cassette Tapes and Pog's etc.

All that we want
Is another Brady
He's gone tomorrow but
All that we want 
Is another Brady
yeah-ehh

Baa baa ba ba baa
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 3:15pm

Playing in "the hole" behind a striker doesn't require huge amounts of stamina, look at Totti and as Rainpaulo pointed a 37 ended our hopes last night and he was playing in CM?

Intelligent players don't need great pace, nor need to use up huge amounts of energy. 

Totally agree with what you are saying. 

But If Totti was Irish, somebody would have tried to turn him into Dirk Kuyt in his early years. Great playmakers like Totti, Zlatan and Riquelme are hated by conservative football fans in Ireland.

Look at the view Irish people had on Zlatan. In the away match he created 5-6 chances for his teammates to squander and was by far the best player on the pitch. Last night as well he sliced Ireland apart on numerous occasions only for his sh*tty teammates to f**k up, he eventually did get an assist. If you asked the stereotypical conservative football fan, they would say he played sh*te or "he didnt look interested" on the premised that he didnt run over 12km over 90 minutes. If players like himself and Totti ran 12km per match, they would be useless and there probably have been players like them in Ireland that were redesigned into a Dirk Kuyt type player. 

Stereotypical football fans prefer lads that run around like headless chickens to artists like Totti or Zlatan. We will never have a player like that until the RTE pundit wanabees fock off and die. I remember that dinosaur Giles say on RTE that CR7 is not a great player because "He never gets back". If Giles got his hands on a young CR7 he probably would have turned him into a full back ffs. 
The Saint View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 3:18pm
Are you saying drop Keane GD or you assuming he's going to retire
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 3:38pm
If we starve the players of the ball in training they'll be hungrier for it in matches.
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

Totally agree with what you are saying. 

But If Totti was Irish, somebody would have tried to turn him into Dirk Kuyt in his early years. Great playmakers like Totti, Zlatan and Riquelme are hated by conservative football fans in Ireland.

Look at the view Irish people had on Zlatan. In the away match he created 5-6 chances for his teammates to squander and was by far the best player on the pitch. Last night as well he sliced Ireland apart on numerous occasions only for his sh*tty teammates to f**k up, he eventually did get an assist. If you asked the stereotypical conservative football fan, they would say he played sh*te or "he didnt look interested" on the premised that he didnt run over 12km over 90 minutes. If players like himself and Totti ran 12km per match, they would be useless and there probably have been players like them in Ireland that were redesigned into a Dirk Kuyt type player. 

Stereotypical football fans prefer lads that run around like headless chickens to artists like Totti or Zlatan. We will never have a player like that until the RTE pundit wanabees fock off and die. I remember that dinosaur Giles say on RTE that CR7 is not a great player because "He never gets back". If Giles got his hands on a young CR7 he probably would have turned him into a full back ffs. 
Clap

post of the year LD ClapClapClap

And GD, your problem here is your being reactive not proactive to what other teams started doing 2-3 years ago dude, what we need is forward thinking coaching from the ground up, teams(well the good ones) are learning how to reduce the threat from a trequartista these days
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 4:57pm
Philly, iv'e been championing a 4-2-3-1 formation for ages? Look at my posts from a few years back and when questions about formation popped up, i wanted rid of 4-4-2. 

Even at my local football clubs over the past few years, iv'e always said to various managers to go with this formation. I can't help the FAI implement it at various underage levels though.

Teams have dealt with the threat of 4-4-2 already, plus we haven't got the calibre of players to go for all out attacking football, so why not drop someone in the hole and create a more balanced team with more flow to it?

With our group of players, we can only play certain formations and i firmly believe with an intelligent player in the trequartista role we would become a far better unit. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by The Saint The Saint wrote:

Robbie Keane will be 34 next July, his legs wouldn't be able to lead the line on his own so yes i would drop him. 

There is no doubting he is still our best finisher, "but" at what price does that come at if we the manager comes in and implements a next formation that is better suited to younger and more energetic players? Our midfielders don't score enough goals because they are starved of possession, it's as simple as that. Sure one could say "oh but we're dropping our best finisher" , but it's time some else stepped upto the plate as he can't go on forever anyway, such is life. 

By September 2014, i hope Keane, Dunne and a couple of other experienced heads have packed it in so the new manager (hopefully a young guy, with new ideas and a 4 year deal) has a blank canvas to work with. 

theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 5:09pm
4-4-2 is long gone but that clown will still play the same formation on Tuesday. His long ball approach is outdated.
SligoLad_95 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SligoLad_95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 7:25pm

Originally posted by The Saint The Saint wrote:

Robbie Keane will be 34 next July, his legs wouldn't be able to lead the line on his own so yes i would drop him. 

There is no doubting he is still our best finisher, "but" at what price does that come at if we the manager comes in and implements a next formation that is better suited to younger and more energetic players? Our midfielders don't score enough goals because they are starved of possession, it's as simple as that. Sure one could say "oh but we're dropping our best finisher" , but it's time some else stepped upto the plate as he can't go on forever anyway, such is life. 

By September 2014, i hope Keane, Dunne and a couple of other experienced heads have packed it in so the new manager (hopefully a young guy, with new ideas and a 4 year deal) has a blank canvas to work with. 

Do you not think it would be worth having Keane on the bench so if we are needing a goal we have somebody to turn to ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic