You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UPC Horizon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Poor Man's Duncan Castles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 11:24am
By the way lads,

ANYONE who has UPC in their home, I'd highly recommend getting the Horizon package. For me, it cost zero extra to have it, but that's because I already had their broadband and home phone with them. Even if you don't have home phone and broadband with them, it is still worth enquiring about.

I work from home, so having the broadband speed is really advantageous. The Horizon TV however, is the future. There's still more evolving to be done, but being able to watch your TV on your mobile phone whilst on the go is definitely the future. The interface on Horizon is great also. This is only the start. When they open up the apps store, TV networks are in big trouble.

Highly-recommended. It's very good value.

If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 11:30am
I thought you can only pick up the tv on your phone and computer when connected to your home wifi. If thats the case I think its a bloody ridiculous offer.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 11:42am
i am completely bamboozled by this horizon thing.
does it make your tv the same as a smart tv or something?
what exactly is on offer with it?
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 11:47am
Oh no, it's not all done yet, and probbaly far from being perfect. But it is the future.

As it is, you can only access your TV on mobile and tablet once you are in the house and there are only so many channels you can watch on other devices; it's the future, but it ain't here yet. What Horizon has done is prove to us that that technology is there and UPC have it all in place.

As for the Smart TV, no - once again, UPC just have everything in place for that, but it's not there yet. You can't actually purchase Apps yet, you just have the Apps that the deal comes with at the moment. But once you can buy apps (in the future) then TV networks are in trouble. Obvioulsy once you can buy apps, then we'll all be buying Netflix and other sites which are sure to breathe out of the success of Netflix.

It's far from the future - but everything is in place.

Here's a guide to it's current benefits. My whole raving about it it, is mainly due to where TV viewing is going as opposed to where we are at right now.

http://www.uswitch.ie/broadband/guides/upc-horizon-tv/

Edited by Siralex - 10 Oct 2013 at 11:49am
If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 11:49am
what apps are there

ROLL ON 2016
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 11:54am
Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

what apps are there

Well YouTube, which is a great App to have on your TV.

Facebook, Twitter, Wikepedia, The Irish Times, Journal, Score, Weather app, Google Maps, Rotten Tomatoes, CNN, Daily Motion, a few kids apps.....

It's quite contained. It ain't great yet. But when it gets to the stage of Smart TV, and when everyone has Smart TV, then TV will change forever. Nobody will ever be watching TV series at teh same time, everything will be On Demand.

erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 11:59am
It sounds like a basic smart tv without internet access to me

ROLL ON 2016
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 12:05pm
You're getting very excited SA LOL

SkyGo is a million times better, you can watch say Sky Sports 1 on your iPad when you're not in your own house, which is an actual benefit as I can not think of any instance that I'd want to watch RTE 1 on my iPad, when I'm sitting in my own gaf with the TV on in the background

I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

It sounds like a basic smart tv without internet access to me

Yeah, in terms of it's Smartness - it is very basic as things stand. But it is no extra charge, so to have this interface and accesibility to your TV - it is worth changing over for alone. But the broadband speed is exceptional. If you use the internet at home regularly in Ireland, you really need to be with UPC.

Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

SkyGo is a million times better, you can watch say Sky Sports 1 on your iPad when you're not in your own house, which is an actual benefit as I can not think of any instance that I'd want to watch RTE 1 on my iPad, when I'm sitting in my own gaf with the TV on in the background

Yeah SkyGo is a bit ahead of UPC in terms of accessibility to your TV. I'm mostly excited though about where TV is going as opposed to anything else. I'm just saying to those that have UPC to upgrade to Horizon, it's no extra cost and has everything set in place to show you where broadcasting is heading...

Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Siralex Siralex wrote:

Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Yeah SkyGo is a bit ahead of UPC in terms of accessibility to your TV. I'm mostly excited though about where TV is going as opposed to anything else. I'm just saying to those that have UPC to upgrade to Horizon, it's no extra cost and has everything set in place to show you where broadcasting is heading...

Thumbs Up
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 12:49pm
Not convinced by it tbh, I have Apple TV and can throw anything up on the FC from the iPad/iPhone. Having to be connected to your UPC broadband to watch is abit sh*t but like SA says, when it evolves a bit then great. I can watch loads already with www.aertv.ie and netflix. Also the dodgy boxes are huge now, my mate is a host so I get if for €0
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 12:52pm
So hang on.

You can watch the tv on your mobile device, but only in your own home, connected to your own wifi. Aye, sounds class alright...

I know you say it'll be developed but whats the f**king point of even launching that as a feature.
@AntrimMan85
greenarmy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 1:52pm
Think some people are mixing this up. The iphone/ipad app is very limited and has to be used when connected to UPC wifi. What we are mostly talking about here is the actual UPC Horizon box for your TV which has the potential to be much better than the Sky box. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzHF2P2ZeeY
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 2:09pm
The app to watch this will from non a UPC network is a work in progress.

The browse menu is brutal and when you go to info on a program the writing is waaay too small to read.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

Not convinced by it tbh, I have Apple TV and can throw anything up on the FC from the iPad/iPhone. Having to be connected to your UPC broadband to watch is abit sh*t but like SA says, when it evolves a bit then great. I can watch loads already with www.aertv.ie and netflix. Also the dodgy boxes are huge now, my mate is a host so I get if for €0
I've got Apple TV too, it's OK, but needs more apps, I really only use it for Netflix and for sharing stuff on the TV from my iPad, which is the best thing about it. Most of the iTunes films available are available on my cable on demand service and are cheaper there. I've had it a couple of years now but Apple haven't really done anything with it to make it better.
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 9:02am
Was onto them as Im already a customer to see what the craic was
Scumbags have no deals for existing customers on it. To get the full pack its 73pm whereas new customers get it for 50 for the 6months.f**k them. Off to sky

ROLL ON 2016
elroy45 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elroy45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 9:44am
Was gonna 'upgrade' to horizon.  For the same price of about 70 quid a month, I can get the horizon tv.  I currently just have tv and BB.  I will get a phone at 'no extra cost' (wont use it anyway).  but the real reason I decided not to go with a fairly average 'upgrade' is that my BB would be limited each month.  I would need to pay an extra 5 quid a month to keep my unlimited BB.  I do alot of streaming online so no way am i giving that up/paying extra for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic