You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cliftonville Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 66>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 10:45am
Originally posted by CSCD CSCD wrote:

Horrible performance in the 2nil defeat last Tuesday in a Snowy Solitude for the rescheduled Crusaders game - one of the worst ever matches I've ever been at.

Need a massive improvement next Monday night for the home Glentoran game, which I will again be attending for my sins! Embarrassed
Should give up that confession lark...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Sponsored Links

fr larry duff View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fr larry duff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Do these clubs such as Warrenpoint have a womens/underage structures in place also?

Warrenpoint would have a fairly decent underage structure, dont think they have a woman's team 
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 12:27pm

How can the likes of Warrenpoint and Carrick maintain Premier Division teams with that little cash coming through the stiles? Is there a Sugar daddy or outrageous sponsorship or other financial supports?

Barry Gray.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 12:30pm

Do these clubs such as Warrenpoint have a womens/underage structures in place also?

They have decent underage structure for boys & girls, no womens team though. They use to have a lot of very good underage talent coming through but its predominantly a GAA town now so most wee'ans are playing GAA.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 1:41pm
How long can he keep funding this though? A very quick google gives sim US musician or focuses on his position as team manager, cant really find much about his fortune. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 1:50pm

How long can he keep funding this though? A very quick google gives sim US musician or focuses on his position as team manager, cant really find much about his fortune. 

Not a fortune but owns his own architecture firm. To be honest, they have a small but loyal fanbase who put every penny back into the club, wether that is the shop or selling tea and coffee on a Saturday. 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 1:58pm
Good to hear. Hopefully small clubs like that can survive. Proper football Clap
Tyronebhoy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 5:27pm
Full house last night. Pity about the result. Jay Donnelly and McCarey came back to haunt us. Perfect view in the McAlery of his brilliant save to deny equaliser in last few minutes. Reds really went for it, unlucky not to get draw. Never rated Plum, but he was very good for Glens.
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 6:27pm
I take it the old stand is not in use anymore due to health and safety?
Could they not get it fixed up and use it again?

How many does Solitude hold these days at capacity?
Tyronebhoy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 7:39pm
Upper deck not used. Believe there was planning permission couple of years back to rebuild it, but nothing done and that may have lapsed. Club debt free now AFAIK, so that might be next upgrade after Cage and away end, but probably dependent on money from Stormont. Can't imagine Waterworks side having anything done for the foreseeable. As for capacity, wouldn't be 100% sure, but wouldn't be kick in arse off 4000 I'd imagine.
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Tyronebhoy Tyronebhoy wrote:

Upper deck not used. Believe there was planning permission couple of years back to rebuild it, but nothing done and that may have lapsed. Club debt free now AFAIK, so that might be next upgrade after Cage and away end, but probably dependent on money from Stormont. Can't imagine Waterworks side having anything done for the foreseeable. As for capacity, wouldn't be 100% sure, but wouldn't be kick in arse off 4000 I'd imagine.

According to the IL website, the stadium capacity is 3,054 (all seated):

No idea myself whether this is accurate/up-to-date.

They also list:
3,824 - Ballymena U (all seated)
2,100 - Carrick R (380 seated)
4,843 - Coleraine (1,607 seated)
3,208 - Crusaders (all seated)
2,000 - Dungannon S (approximation!)
3,302 - Glenavon (all seated)
6,054 - Glentoran (3,991 seated)
2,732 - Larne (1,632 seated)
2,000 - Warrenpoint (approximation!)

Glentoran could accommodate a lot more, were it not for the H&S zealots at Belfast CC.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:16pm

How can the likes of Warrenpoint and Carrick maintain Premier Division teams with that little cash coming through the stiles? Is there a Sugar daddy or outrageous sponsorship or other financial supports?
Not meaning to score points etc, but IL clubs tend to live within their means these days.

And even with whatever funding Gray may be putting in, Point are not really competing, this season at least - currently bottom of the table with 8 points after 21 games, 11 points off safety (though . with a game in hand):

Carrick are putting up more of a fight, but in truth, clubs at their level aren't really trying to "compete" with the top half a dozen clubs, they're just battling against the other teams around their level.

Remember, too, that there are 12 teams in the top division. Where it 10 like the LOI, then the comparative attendances wouldn't look quite so bad.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Not meaning to score points etc, but IL clubs tend to live within their means these days.

And even with whatever funding Gray may be putting in, Point are not really competing, this season at least - currently bottom of the table with 8 points after 21 games, 11 points off safety (though . with a game in hand):

Carrick are putting up more of a fight, but in truth, clubs at their level aren't really trying to "compete" with the top half a dozen clubs, they're just battling against the other teams around their level.

Remember, too, that there are 12 teams in the top division. Where it 10 like the LOI, then the comparative attendances wouldn't look quite so bad.

Doesn't help that 2/3rds of their team this year is from Dublin. Just don't have anyone playing for them that has any desire to fight for the club. Last 4 signing have been from Athlone town too AFAIK. Lost too many good players over the last 2 seasons, Danny Wallace was a massive loss. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 2:03pm
In the light of Larne paying Portadown £100k for Bonis recently, and Glentoran the same(?) for McCartan from Ballymena, there is a discusion here with a number of IL managers about the impact of all this:

I thought the comments from the Carrick and Point managers were interesting/encouraging:

Stuart King is in his debut season as a top-flight manager, having taken over last summer at Carrick Rangers, who made a strong start to the season and currently sit ninth. King says all managers will spend as much money as they can on players and has welcomed the increased expenditure - as long as clubs are acting within their financial means.

"I have no issues with it - if clubs want to pay £100,000 or upwards for a player then that is up to them. If they can afford it, fair play. If they are going beyond their means then they shouldn't - but that is not my call, my job is to look after my club. I'd love to say we could do it.

"I think the exposure and profile that the league is getting is brilliant, and that does lead to more money and sponsorship opportunities. I just don't want us to go down the road of the way the League of Ireland was about five years ago when a few clubs spent too much money and then were not able to pay wages. It was sad to see the demise of those clubs.

"I am all for full-time football and all the improvements that have happened in our league, and am buzzing to be in the middle of it all. I just hope that it is sustainable, and that is doesn't get too good too quickly. All clubs can make their own decisions.

Barry Gray was the manager of Warrenpoint Town when they first got promoted to the Irish Premiership in 2013 and is currently in his second spell in charge of the club. Currently five points adrift at the bottom of the table, Gray has a pragmatic outlook on the increased transfer fees and spending in the league, saying it is basic supply and demand at play.

"I think it is driven from the pool of senior players that is available at this moment of time, particularly for strikers, which is probably as restrictive as I have ever seen it in my time in management. I can understand where the 'big ticket' prices have come from.

"Whether we like it or not, it is the law of supply and demand just as when you want to buy a house. Players have the premium and they know that. If you are selling it is brilliant but if you are buying then not so much.

"The impact for us or any team in the bottom half of the table is that it is very hard to compete to keep players on board because you have got the full-time game at the top end of the table challenging any young talented players who obviously want to give full-time a go as best they can.

"I think in the short-term it is going to separate the richer boys from the not-so-rich but over the course of time I imagine it will pan itself out a bit just like everything else in life. You just have to make it work and that is what clubs are going to have to do. Other teams pushing the boundaries will help drag everyone else with them.

"That will include inflated markets and higher prices for everything, it is only to be expected when everyone is trying to raise the bar. Some people are worried about money ruining football, but money has been in our game for decades. Yes, the levels have got bigger, but that is no different to anything else in the world."

Edited by Territorial - 20 Jan 2022 at 2:05pm
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 11:27am
Linfield were always disproportionately richer than the rest, effectively a state sponsored team with Windsor the "national" stadium. Glentoran and Larne now have wealthy owners and Crusaders have managed their finances wisely. Cliftonville have a very good manager who has been very astute in the signings he has made and the fitness levels he has maintained for the players, they have kept pace at the top on merit despite remaining part-time. Bottom half of the league is a different world. Warrenpoint are going down and will be replaced by neighbours Newry.
CSCD View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 9:43am
Solid but very unspectacular 1nil win over rock bottom Warrenpoint last night.
Had half a dozen good chances but every shot was straight at the keeper - need to be sharper ahead of the North Belfast derby this Saturday, heavy wind forecast !!!
One point behind Linfield/Glentoran at the top now - Linfield 6 clear over them on GD , all top 3 level on games.
Long way to go yet Confused
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by CSCD CSCD wrote:

Solid but very unspectacular 1nil win over rock bottom Warrenpoint last night.
Had half a dozen good chances but every shot was straight at the keeper - need to be sharper ahead of the North Belfast derby this Saturday, heavy wind forecast !!!
One point behind Linfield/Glentoran at the top now - Linfield 6 clear over them on GD , all top 3 level on games.
Long way to go yet Confused

Was at it myself, the 'Point keeper McMullan was man of the match and in no way were the shots straight at him. He pulled off some outstanding saves. 
Played a few games for the Ireland U18s last year. Hope Cliftonville can push on and do it.

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 23 Feb 2022 at 12:35pm
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 1:00pm
Ten games to go, there will be a lot of pressure soon when the split happens and the top teams are playing each other every week. Cliftonville did enough to win last night, should have been a bigger margin but Warrenpoint just defended the entire game and the young keeper McMullan was exceptional. Their minds will have been on the forthcoming relegation battle with Portadown while the Reds will have been aware of Saturday's derby against Crusaders at Solitude.

Edited by Green Cockade - 23 Feb 2022 at 2:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 66>
  Share Topic