You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bitcoin, Crypto and Stocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 30>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 3:11pm
@Colmoc

Are you in the south or up north? Up North have ISA that are tax free. 

Who do you currently bank with? AIB was just an example.
 AIB have a regular investment savings account. Just tell them you want to invest in a low cost ETF that tracks US stock market and put in money on a regular basis. 

The ETF will cover all the stocks so you don’t have to pick individual ones. 

colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

@Colmoc

AIB have a regular investment savings account. Just tell them you want to invest in a low cost ETF that tracks US stock market and put in money on a regular basis. 

In the south. Can see the north from my kitchen window though but not much use in this situation Big smile

I bank with AIB but I thought irishlife dealt with all their investment stuff

Cheers for the advice lads👍🏻

Edited by colmoc - 15 Feb 2021 at 3:16pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Checkout a company called Hargreaves Lansdowne

I used them to get up a stocks and shares ISA for my God Daughter.

Basically, I throw a bit of money in every month via DD and can also top it up on Birthdays/ XMAS etc as a gift. App is very good and lets you invest in shares, indicies etc but I just have one of their managed funds. 

Very easy to get going on it, great little App to monitor and manage it. 
That looks the job. Been trying to find something similar for those of us down south but drawing a blank.
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Checkout a company called Hargreaves Lansdowne

I used them to get up a stocks and shares ISA for my God Daughter.

Basically, I throw a bit of money in every month via DD and can also top it up on Birthdays/ XMAS etc as a gift. App is very good and lets you invest in shares, indicies etc but I just have one of their managed funds. 

Very easy to get going on it, great little App to monitor and manage it. 
That looks the job. Been trying to find something similar for those of us down south but drawing a blank.

AIB seem to have something similar there according to ZK - maybe worth checking out

But aye, for anyone in UK, have only had positive experience of HL
@AntrimMan85
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by colmoc colmoc wrote:

@Colmoc

In the south. Can see the north from my kitchen window though but not much use in this situation Big smile

AIB myself so going to have a look also. Have a few bob sitting in a Credit Union but earning me nothing. Interested in a lump some investment and let it sit there for a while instead
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 4:20pm
Think it was Shedite who suggested investing in a S&P 500 linked fund, setting it up with BOI on Weds, thanks for the tip! 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by colmoc colmoc wrote:

@Colmoc

AIB myself so going to have a look also. Have a few bob sitting in a Credit Union but earning me nothing. Interested in a lump some investment and let it sit there for a while instead

Really the only thing the credit union offer is decent access to small loans with your shares. Diddly interest. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 6:14pm
I presume all of these investment strategies that you lads are discussing would still be subject to income tax, USC and CGT?
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

I presume all of these investment strategies that you lads are discussing would still be subject to income tax, USC and CGT?

Yeah, 33% CGT. one I'm going for has 14% annualised returns over last ten years so even with it you'd have gotten 9% roughly exact as there's a 1% management fee

But it's better than sitting in the current account. In it for the medium to long term myself so will ride out the inevitable downturns. 
EdisonCavani View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdisonCavani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Yeah, 33% CGT. one I'm going for has 14% annualised returns over last ten years so even with it you'd have gotten 9% roughly exact as there's a 1% management fee

But it's better than sitting in the current account. In it for the medium to long term myself so will ride out the inevitable downturns. 
Just so you aware the S&P 500 by most metrics is trading at historic highs. That is not to say it won’t continue to rise but it is something you should be aware of. There is a downside value risk that needs to be taken into account.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by EdisonCavani EdisonCavani wrote:

Just so you aware the S&P 500 by most metrics is trading at historic highs. That is not to say it won’t continue to rise but it is something you should be aware of. There is a downside value risk that needs to be taken into account.

Yep, cheers! Have put had a good look at it Would've been better getting in a year or so ago. 

Plan to leave it at least 8 years and up to 30 so will be peaks and troughs during that that we'll ride out. Would be very unlucky for this to be an all time high that isn't matched again, just hoping it beats inflation really. 
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 7:41pm
I'm a bit bearish on the SPX.

Tesla was incorporated in Dec as 5th largest member. I think that stock is way overpriced and will fall. It also doesn't pay dividends. Overall dividend yield of the index is down about .3% on the year. 

That said, historically it's fairly safe and while I expect a leaner 2021, it will bounce back 
@AntrimMan85
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 7:54pm

The S&P spends most of it's time at historic highs. It just goes higher next month. With the US continuing th print money, it all flows into the stock market.

Good man nvidic. We've ridiculous amount of money in deposit accounts in Ireland at the moment. The bansk don't want it, it's earning you nothing. Much better off investing it
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 8:25pm

The S&P spends most of it's time at historic highs. It just goes higher next month. With the US continuing th print money, it all flows into the stock market.

Good man nvidic. We've ridiculous amount of money in deposit accounts in Ireland at the moment. The bansk don't want it, it's earning you nothing. Much better off investing it

Yeah it’s at an all time high but if you are putting in regular amounts each month and are holding for the long term you ride the ups and down and aren’t trying to time the market. 

Nothing beats time in the market. There are studies that show dead money beats most hedge funds - that is people who just leave money on tracker funds beat most active trading strategies.

It’s probably not the best time to put a large sum into the market and a correction is well over due but if you are looking at a 10+ year period then monthly investments is a good habit to get into. 

There is lots of money in China and Oil countries that will invest heavily in any major dips in the US market so I don’t see any long term bear runs. 

seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 8:59am

Yeah it’s at an all time high but if you are putting in regular amounts each month and are holding for the long term you ride the ups and down and aren’t trying to time the market. 

Nothing beats time in the market. There are studies that show dead money beats most hedge funds - that is people who just leave money on tracker funds beat most active trading strategies.

It’s probably not the best time to put a large sum into the market and a correction is well over due but if you are looking at a 10+ year period then monthly investments is a good habit to get into. 

There is lots of money in China and Oil countries that will invest heavily in any major dips in the US market so I don’t see any long term bear runs. 

140 off 10k doesn't seem particularly good to be fair
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 9:21am

The CGT is handy to work out but is it not complicated working out the income tax and USC due? 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 9:26am
14% from 10k would be 1,400 ?
The S&P has returned about 10-11% annualised returns for over 100 years so it’s a fairly safe investment over the long term.
It’s been higher the last 10 years (13-14%) due to growth of tech / minimum wage / robotics etc

For me it’s a really good balance between high returns and low risk. Money in the bank is losing money due to inflation. 

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 9:54am

The CGT is handy to work out but is it not complicated working out the income tax and USC due? 

Only subject to CGT, which I believe is taken off automatically so little for you to do, open to correction on that 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 30>
  Share Topic