You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bitcoin, Crypto and Stocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 30>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

litecoin..stellar..ripple...cardano...Bitcoin...there’s just to many of them.Bitcoin will corner the market,the rest are just chasing its tale.

Bob you’ve convinced me to go with ethereum 👌

I'd have a read about Gas fees before going all in on ETH. I've got a little but my main is ADA (cardano)
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 2:39pm
I'd like to remind anyone interested in these areas to do your own research and be prepared if you make a poor decision to sit it out. That might take a few years it might take a few months.  

There are loads of crappy cryptos that will never amount to anything. 

At this moment prices are going crazy, you could literally pick any number of coins and over the next few days or weeks however long this goes on for and they will shoot up in price and you will think you're great but they could then crash and never return to the price you bought. 

One final piece of advice is follow Benjamin Cowen 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 5:14pm
see Tesla falling heavy today after rising after the announcement of buying Bitcoin....any reason?
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

litecoin..stellar..ripple...cardano...Bitcoin...there’s just to many of them.Bitcoin will corner the market,the rest are just chasing its tale.

I'd have a read about Gas fees before going all in on ETH. I've got a little but my main is ADA (cardano)

I had some cardano and litecoin.....I just can see them ever reaching a Bitcoin price or level.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 7:37pm

Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

I had some cardano and litecoin.....I just can see them ever reaching a Bitcoin price or level.

Yeah I don't think that is possible but ada getting towards 100 is a possibility in 5 to 10 years. All things going well.  
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 11:08pm
Any advice for getting started on this?
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 7:02am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Rules 
#1. Only bet what you can afford to lose
#2. See rule number 1
#3 Do some due diligence on it. Google why crypto is a good investment and why it’s a bad investment. Always ask what could go wrong. 

This is still a very volatile and high risk asset class.
It’s not something you want to throw your pension on.
A diversified portfolio is a good strategy so if you are comfortable with the risk then crypto should be part of it.

Instead of spending money in the pub you could make monthly investments into this so you are not trying to time the market perfectly and its small investments you can afford to lose.
Revolut/ Coinbase / Kracken are the most popular apps. 
Revolut only has 3/4 crypto ccy and the highest fees but is the easiest to use. There is a high correlation between Bitcoin and the other main CCYs. If Bitcoin goes up, the other go up. 
Others may disagree but you prob only need to invest in 2-4 ccys.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 7:42am
Thumbs Up
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Agree with what Zinedine said.

Also, if you're planning on putting in €1k/€2k or whatever, don't do it all in one go. put in €300 now, another €300 in 2 weeks etc, and build it up.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 8:00am
Got out of XRP with a decent profit yesterday, hopefully do the same with Stellar today or tomorrow, and put them gradually into my Bitcoin pot. 
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 4:17pm
ye think Stellar is gonna slow down? Its been on a good run
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by cardwizzard cardwizzard wrote:

There’s a boom at the minute so who knows!! But I like XLM or at least the idea of it but long term I wouldn’t think it’s safe. 
For me if I make 20% on investment I’ll get out and put it into Bitcoin which would hopefully be more of a long term strategy. 

Edit; I’m anything but ah expert too, I’ve read up on anything I’ve put money in but all of us are basically riding a wave of eejits (myself included) getting involved and booming in the market. XLM & XRP are very similar, and both were very cheap which I think would be an important driving factor 

Edited by 9fingers - 13 Feb 2021 at 9:23pm
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 10:41pm
Aye, I'm a complete newbie to this. Started few weeks ago when Ripple was pushed with reddit. So far it's been a breeze, a rising tide floats all boats and all that.

Same, I've done alot of reading and saw few videos etc. The block chain idea is fascinating. Could really be revolutionary and such a simple idea. Seen Mark Cuban saying it feels like the start of the Internet again, and probably to early to predict whose gonna be apple or amazon.

Suppose when ye loose your bollocks, and I'm sure it's in the post, then few tough decisions will have to be made. But for now I'm enjoying the wave. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 6:49am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by cardwizzard cardwizzard wrote:

There’s a boom at the minute so who knows!! But I like XLM or at least the idea of it but long term I wouldn’t think it’s safe. 
For me if I make 20% on investment I’ll get out and put it into Bitcoin which would hopefully be more of a long term strategy. 

Edit; I’m anything but ah expert too, I’ve read up on anything I’ve put money in but all of us are basically riding a wave of eejits (myself included) getting involved and booming in the market. XLM & XRP are very similar, and both were very cheap which I think would be an important driving factor 

The Americans are getting another 1,400 stimulus check in the next week so the wave will continue for another bit. They were allowed take 100k from their pensions for C19 so the US stock market, Real estate, crypto’s are at an all time high. 

It’s actually when people start going back to work I think there will be a rebalance in these asset classes. 

Just remember to manage your risk and have a plan to unwind if you need too. 

colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 1:33pm
a bit off topic but thinking of regularly investing for a college fund for the newborn fairly soon so we will have a pot for her for third level/house deposit etc.
Where is best option for investing? Was looking at irishlife clear regular invest but fees seem to eat up a lot of it and the advisor I deal with is like a pushy car sales person and is sort of off putting. See stuff on boards about etf’s and stuff but all over my head😂
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by colmoc colmoc wrote:

a bit off topic but thinking of regularly investing for a college fund for the newborn fairly soon so we will have a pot for her for third level/house deposit etc.
Where is best option for investing? Was looking at irishlife clear regular invest but fees seem to eat up a lot of it and the advisor I deal with is like a pushy car sales person and is sort of off putting. See stuff on boards about etf’s and stuff but all over my head😂

If you check out the mortgage thread, there is information on there.

It’s a great idea for a new child. The value of compound earnings is huge and regular investing is the best approach. 
You need to set up an account and look to invest in a low cost ETF that tracks the US Index (annualised returns are 10-11% over a long time).
Don’t let them sell you any UK, Euro funds. 

Your bank (AIB etc ) should have this option.
Or else something like Aviva / HL will have this option.

There will be an annual management fee, say 0.5% and the etf fee of 0.2% but as long as it’s under 1% that’s okay. The increased returns are worth it.

Compound Interest over time

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 15 Feb 2021 at 2:27pm

colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by colmoc colmoc wrote:

If you check out the mortgage thread, there is information on there.

It’s a great idea for a new child. The value of compound earnings is huge and regular investing is the best approach. 
You need to set up an account and look to invest in a low cost ETF that tracks the US Index (annualised returns are 10-11% over a long time).
Don’t let them sell you any UK, Euro funds. 

Your bank (AIB etc ) should have this option.
Or else something like Aviva / HL will have this option.

There will be an annual management fee, say 0.5% and the etf fee of 0.2% but as long as it’s under 1% that’s okay. The increased returns are worth it.

Compound Interest over time

Thanks for that👍🏻

So do I just contact AIB or is it irishlife I need to get onto and say I wanna invest in low cost etf that tracks the US markets or do I need to open an account with degiro?
Do I need to pick the companies to invest in myself or how does that work?
When I want the money out down the line is all profits taxed at 41%?
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 3:02pm
Checkout a company called Hargreaves Lansdowne

I used them to get up a stocks and shares ISA for my God Daughter.

Basically, I throw a bit of money in every month via DD and can also top it up on Birthdays/ XMAS etc as a gift. App is very good and lets you invest in shares, indicies etc but I just have one of their managed funds. 

Very easy to get going on it, great little App to monitor and manage it. 
@AntrimMan85
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 30>
  Share Topic