You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212213214215216 238>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Alli is a superb player. Between injuries and Pochetino playing him out of position, he's had a rough 18 months or so. The manager change couldn't come quick enough for him personally I think.

Dele and Kane were the two "big" players who were confident enough to come out and publicly thank Poch for what he had done for them (the rest had either come to dislike Poch, or still liked him, but were scared to antagonise Jose)

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

He'll rip it up playing right off Kane as opposed to last season where he was chasing lads in his own half as they danced past Harry Winks.
Since he came back in this season (under Poch), he has showed signs of recovering his old form, but it has been patchy, as he gets his touch and fitness back. He sees a pass or move as well as ever, but he still missh*ts it too often for his/our liking. This occurred today again a few times, even in the middle of some (typically) sublime play from him.
But overall, he's definitely playing his way back into form.
By the New Year, he should be tearing up the division again, fingers crossed.

Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 11:26pm
I think Pochetino is a superb manager. I also believe that Alli and Kane and plenty more were gutted to see him go. That doesn't change the fact that Alli has been completely misused the past 12-18 months. Spurs had left themselves completely short in central midfield in that time, and Alli filled in on lots of occasions to bolster a feeble midfield. It did Alli no favours whatsoever and led to this nonsense about Alli not trying and swannying about the place having lost his hunger.

A consistent run of games in a high attacking position and Alli will be one of the best players in the PL imo.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 2:24pm
And the Spursy One keeps up the good start. Not long till Terri  is singing Jose's name 

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

And the Spursy One keeps up the good start. Not long till Terri  is singing Jose's name 

Nope, I'll tolerate him (just), only so long as he keeps winning.

And in the meantime, I remind myself that every day he's at The Lane is another day closer to his leaving.

[Btw, I'm not fooled by his 3 wins so far any more than he will be - WHU are sh*t, Olympiakos were an insult to sh*t, and Bournemouth are game, well-organised and hard-working, but still mediocre when you take those qualities away. And we conceded 6 goals ro that lot. Shocked
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 3:13pm
Don't worry he will have Harry Kane playing just in front of the right back to shore up that defence.

Failing that he will bring in a defensive coach.  And park it in front of the goal.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 6:48pm
Toby has signed a 3 year contract so he’s staying.
Eriksen is definitely gone. Should get rid of him in Jan.

Terrible performance today. Had a great opportunity to get back into top 4 but Chelsea were much better on the day.

For once VAR (correctly) overruled the ref for a peno.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 6:51pm
Will Sons sending off bump Parrott up the pecking order?

tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 7:11pm
More racism incidents?
Brexit Beitain for ya
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 7:33pm
Son has the most red cards in the league this year 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 8:26pm

True.

All together now: "Fcuk off Mourinho, fcuk off Mourinho, fcuk off Mourinho, fcuk off Mourinho...."

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

And in the meantime, I remind myself that every day he's at The Lane is another day closer to his leaving.

Yep, like a prisoner chalking up another mark on his cell wall, today is one day closer to our release from our sentence.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 8:30pm
Was a very strange decision picking The Poison One.  He is not a manager who plays the 'beautiful game'.  He is finished as a manager as well.  His dour tactics are redundant at the highest level.

If he had the Brazil 1970 team he would have them park the bus with Pele covering the back 4.

Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Toby has signed a 3 year contract so he’s staying.
Eriksen is definitely gone. Should get rid of him in Jan.

Terrible performance today. Had a great opportunity to get back into top 4 but Chelsea were much better on the day.

For once VAR (correctly) overruled the ref for a peno.

re Eriksen - to get rid in Jan...there needs to be a taker that works for Eriksen - fair chance he’ll stick around until the summer and it’ll be f**k you to Levy.

Edited by Dalymount79 - 22 Dec 2019 at 8:34pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 8:37pm

True.

All together now: "Fcuk off Mourinho, fcuk off Mourinho, fcuk off Mourinho, fcuk off Mourinho...."

Yep, like a prisoner chalking up another mark on his cell wall, today is one day closer to our release from our sentence.

Terri, Terri gives us a wave Thumbs UpParty
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Was a very strange decision picking The Poison One. 

I wonder is it coincidental that Spurs appointed JM one week before Man City sold 10% of their shares for £389m, thereby valuing the club at £3.73bn - a good 20% more than most analysts would have said, and which immediately boosted the share value of all PL clubs by a similar percentage?

Might Levy have got an inkling that this deal was in the offing?

After all, he owns 25% of the club, with 82 y.o. Joe Lewis owning the other 75%. It is well known that Lewis has no interest in football other than as an investment and he may be thinking of selling his stake, either in part or in full, if he feels that PL club valuations have peaked for now.

If so, that might explain why Levy has suddenly gone from a long term manager in Poch, to a short term one in Mourinho? For if Mourinho can add trophies to go with the star players/shiny new stadium/fancy training ground etc, then that might be the final step towards persuading some Arab sheikh or Texan billionaire to pay top dollar for Spurs?

Of course, this might be a load of balls (probably is, in fact LOL), but I am at a loss for any other rational explanation.

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

He is not a manager who plays the 'beautiful game'.  He is finished as a manager as well.  His dour tactics are redundant at the highest level.
Comprehensively out-thought by a rookie manager today.
And it all stems from picking the same team and formation from that which was lucky to steal a win at Molineux the other week.
Basically because all his best players are strikers and he doesn't trust half his midfielders and defenders, he's actually picking a 4-2-1-3, if not an old style 4-2-4 when the "1" (Dele) gets caught forward.
His two midfielders (Dier and Sissoko) have to be the defensive sort and  he dare not let them get overrun, so he requires the whole team to play very narrow, with the front players tracking back to help out Dier & Sissoko.

Which has a logic to it, I suppose, except that Lampard clearly watched the Wolves video and guessed (correctly) that JM was going to repeat his selection/tactics. Consequently he played 3 CB's to crowd out Kane (esp), Son and Moura, and told his Wing Backs to push foward down the flanks. In particular, he identified Aurier as a real weak point at RB, so he had Willian push up as (effectively) a Left Winger, with Alonso right up behind in support. This meant that Aurier was often outnumbered down the Spurs right, yet Sissoko dare not get drawn out wide to cover him, since that would leave Spurs with just one midfielder (Dier) and a fcuking great hole down the centre.

So with Spurs players all sticking to their instructions, Chelsea absolutely murdered us on the flanks, and it was just a question of how many they scored.

All of which was bad enough, but come H-T, with Spurs just about still in it at 2-0 down, JM still refused to abandon his tactics and re-organise. Fair enough, he brought on a (creative) midfielder in Eriksen, but it was to replace another midfielder, Dier, meaning we still only had two in the centre, which was why Eriksen was forced to spend half his time helping out his defence.

Mourinho then waited until there was only 15 minutes left before using his other two subs. One of these was a LB (Rose) for another LB (Vertonghen) - wtf was that going to achieve?

The other was the extra midfielder we were all craving (Ndombele), for a forward (Moura) and in that last quarter of an hour, Ndombele provided more of a creative influence than the entire rest of the team in the preceding 75 minutes, but it was far too little, far too late.

Shocking. Shocked
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 11:05am
Good summation of the game Terri. 

I still think the Spursey One will be a success Hug
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 11:08am
You're overthinking things there Terri with that logic on why Spurs appointed Mourinho, in my opinion.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

You're overthinking things there Terri with that logic on why Spurs appointed Mourinho, in my opinion.

You're probably right, it is mere speculation on my part, with no evidence toback it up.

But can you or anyone else think of a good reason why Levy should suddenly go for a short-term, defensively minded manager aged 56, who normally demands big money for players and never stays anywhere beyond 3 years?

Esp when he's replacing a long-term, attacking manager, who manages on a small budget, develops young players and is nine years younger?

I mean, after nearly 6 years without winning a trophy, Spurs fans had bought into the idea of building an entire club for the future, rather than the same short-sighted dash for silverware that most owners employ.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 1:25pm
He wins a trophy at every club 
Maybe that’s the thinking, even if I don’t think that’s guaranteed at Spurs

The players had stopped playing for Poch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212213214215216 238>
  Share Topic