You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 203204205206207 238>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:23am
Ah Bob, he's worth more that €200 quid
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Sponsored Links

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:24am
+m LOL
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Something that Pochettino should be massively lauded for. When he brought Llorente on for Sissoko, all I could think was the cojonas on that man Clap
Looking at the Spurs bench, what alternative do you think he had?

Sanchez without a shadow of a doubt I would have brought on. Go to a back 3, which they are all very familiar with. Also Trippier was having a feckin nightmare so at least at wing back he might feel he could go tighter to Sterling quicker as he'd have more cover behind him.

Also, it would have left Son up front who was ripping City apart. If I was managing in that game, I'd probably make that call 99 times out of a 100. If not 100! Did you not think that yourself Terri?

Btw, a word on Son. Winner last week. 2 tonight. What a player he is. For me he is now their most important player. Also, I think he would be alongside VVD for player of the year if he didn't have 2 stints away with S Korea during the season.
No way Poch was going to go to a back 3. For even if Sanchez wasn't impulsive and always liable to screw something up, you simply cannot risk three-on-three against City with the individuals they have up front. (Their full backs would have tied down Spurs wing backs) 
Remember, too, that it was a back 4 which kept a clean sheet in the first leg.

Tbh, I was scratching my head to try to figure out who should replace Sissoko. Positionally, Skipp was the obvious choice, but a huge gamble throwing an untried kid into an occasion like that.
I was wondering whether Davies or Sanchez could play midfield - basically kick anything that moved for 50 minutes (esp Trippier!). Or bring on Davies at LB and move Rose into centre mid?
Obviously Llorente has the big game experience but there was no way I'd ever have imagined bringing on another striker when we had Son and Moura, and still had the advantage overall.

And as for moving Dele back to play holding midfield (nearly cost us, btw), not in a million years! 

But tbh, as much as his tactics and formation etc saw Spurs through, quite honestly City were still a hair's breadth from going through.

So I actually think Poch's greatest contribution to the tie was his motivational skills and man-management in both games. In the first leg they were up to taking the game to City, then didn't falter when needing to protect the lead.

And last night, they just hung on in there under the most intense pressure, then kept on coming back.  

Epic, truly epic!
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 12:18pm
Forgot Alli was on the pitch at times in the second half 
Some people just deserve a slap
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Forgot Alli was on the pitch at times in the second half 

I notice that a lot with Alli

He was good last night though I thought
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Spurs should sell Kane, his ankles are finished if they got €200 for him you'd be very confident that Pochettino would invest that in good new players making the team far better. Same way Klopp did with Coutinhio 
If his ankles really are "finished" then they won't get €200m for him.

But quite honestly, I would never sell Kane willingly, not for any money.

He is Spurs' best player. He is their most important for what he does (scores goals). He is the dressing room leader. And he's "one of our own".

Selling him would send out entirely the wrong signal to everyone i.e. Spurs are more interested in money than really going for it.

If Spurs are ever going to make it to the big time alongside giant clubs like Barca, Bayern, Juve and Real M etc, we need two or three Harry Kanes, not none.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 12:48pm
And just when you thought it couldn't get any crazier...

Moussa Sissoko told L'Equipe that he did not realise Tottenham had gone through to the Champions League semi-finals until a member of the coaching staff informed him in the dressing room that Manchester City's last-gasp goal had been disallowed.

The French midfielder, who was replaced in the first half due to injury, was so distraught after Raheem Sterling scored that he immediately walked down the tunnel and did not realise the goal had been ruled out for offside a minute later.

"I was on the bench when I saw the goal that made it 5-3," he said. "I was so upset that I returned directly to the dressing room.

"I was alone, no-one had accompanied me, no TV screen was broadcasting the game. In my head we were eliminated. Then one of the staff members entered the dressing room and told me: 'Incredible, we did it!'

"I said: 'How did we do it?' At that moment, he told me that the goal had been disallowed. So I put on a t-shirt, I forgot about my injury and I ran outside to join the others, not to miss the celebrations for such a historic moment. It was an incredible, emotional shock."

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 1:28pm
Sissoko LOL On Alli, I thought he was decent considering his role was just grafting. He had limited opportunities to join the attack the way Spurs set up, with Son Moura and Eriksen being far higher up the pitch. Remember Alli actually filled in as a forward when Kane was injured a year or 2 ago. His real strengths are in the final 3rd, so I think he had a decent game considering.

Btw Terri, I'd totally disagree with your analysis of the Llorrente sub, as I'm sure the majority would.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 1:39pm

Btw Terri, I'd totally disagree with your analysis of the Llorrente sub, as I'm sure the majority would.
Fair enough.

But experience proves you simply cannot go 3-on-3 against City defensively, it is essential to have a man over to provide cover.

Which is why Poch stuck with four at the back in both legs, even when it meant picking Trippier (good at WHL, terrible at the Etihad) and Rose, who's struggling for consistency after being in and out of the team with injury.

So I didn't expect him to change the back four, it was his decision to bring on another striker in Llorente which astonished me.

And I guess it kinda worked! LOL

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 3:03pm

Fair enough.

But experience proves you simply cannot go 3-on-3 against City defensively, it is essential to have a man over to provide cover.

Which is why Poch stuck with four at the back in both legs, even when it meant picking Trippier (good at WHL, terrible at the Etihad) and Rose, who's struggling for consistency after being in and out of the team with injury.

So I didn't expect him to change the back four, it was his decision to bring on another striker in Llorente which astonished me.

And I guess it kinda worked! LOL

Bringing Sanchez on would have meant Spurs would have gone 5v3 defensively.

Bringing on Llorente was a brave decision! Gutted Poch won’t be the United manager tbh.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 3:19pm
Agree with Brendan, essentially it would be a 5v3 defensively as Spurs simply weren't coming out of deep defence for the majority of the game. What it would have done is provided cover for Trippier especially, with Alderweireld moving over to right CB of the 3. That would have allowed Trippier take a chance and face up to Sterling earlier, as he was neither getting tight or denying Sterling space behind.

I think that there were few managers who would have done what Pochettino did. Tbh I don't think Llorrente was great either, but he got the goal so he more than earned his corn.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Bringing Sanchez on would have meant Spurs would have gone 5v3 defensively.

Bringing on Llorente was a brave decision!
Where the two wide men would have been tied down by city's FB's, whilst City's midfield cruised through the centre.

Instead Poch chose to stick with a back four, pull Dele back to stiffen centre mid and replaced him up front with Llorente, who scored.

Genius.

Edited by Territorial - 18 Apr 2019 at 3:38pm
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 4:10pm
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 4:45pm

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Spurs should sell Kane, his ankles are finished if they got €200 for him you'd be very confident that Pochettino would invest that in good new players making the team far better. Same way Klopp did with Coutinhio 
If his ankles really are "finished" then they won't get €200m for him.

But quite honestly, I would never sell Kane willingly, not for any money.

He is Spurs' best player. He is their most important for what he does (scores goals). He is the dressing room leader. And he's "one of our own".

Selling him would send out entirely the wrong signal to everyone i.e. Spurs are more interested in money than really going for it.

If Spurs are ever going to make it to the big time alongside giant clubs like Barca, Bayern, Juve and Real M etc, we need two or three Harry Kanes, not none.

How many ankle ligament injuries has he done now? Having done both ankles myself, I always recall been told that once the ligament goes it's like a flap and will always be much more likely to go again.

Now with the best treatments available doing it once probably isn't such a big deal, but doing them every season and both ankles is for me a very grave sign. I'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned as such, maybe it's the white elephant in the room Spurs and England's best player could be crocked before he gets near his peak.

Take the money and run Levy
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
ccfcmurphy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccfcmurphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:07pm
alright lads anyone have any ideas on how to get tickets against Brighton Tuesday? There's plenty on the website but my membership only allows me to get 1Dead I've 3 buddies coming over to see a game ... might have to take them to Luton vs Wimbledon instead LOL
There's no point being the richest man in the graveyard
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 6:30am
Originally posted by ccfcmurphy ccfcmurphy wrote:

alright lads anyone have any ideas on how to get tickets against Brighton Tuesday? There's plenty on the website but my membership only allows me to get 1Dead I've 3 buddies coming over to see a game ... might have to take them to Luton vs Wimbledon instead LOL

PM me
If there are tickets available I can get access to 3 of them.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 9:44pm
Eriksen Clap

Big win. Especially with the CL games coming up. If other results go Spurs way in the PL, Pochettino might get the chance to rest a few players in the Bournemouth game in between the 1st and 2nd leg. Either way, huge late goal there.

COYS
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 1:39am

Eriksen Clap
Thing is, he hasn't been esp good of late - at least by last season's standards, for instance.

But his ability to score from distance is priceless:
  • Since his Premier League debut in September 2013, Tottenham's Christian Eriksen has scored 21 goals from outside the box in the competition, more than any other player.
And Poch seems cautiously optimistic that Eriksen may sign a new contract (though not until the end of the season):

If other results go Spurs way in the PL, Pochettino might get the chance to rest a few players in the Bournemouth game in between the 1st and 2nd leg. 
"Rest players"?

No problem! Sure didn't he unearth another gem tonight?

Some lad named Vincent Janssen, I believe.

Coming down with players is Poch... Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 203204205206207 238>
  Share Topic