You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 425426427428429 452>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 3:31pm

he has already played for the underage teams and i think captained the 21s. of course they have been all over him… they are actually interested in players born here
Sponsored Links

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

i know for a fact that he hasn’t yes

What's stopping him approaching The FAI? If he's as Irish as you say, he could easily take the initiative to get into our system 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

i know for a fact that he hasn’t yes

What's stopping him approaching The FAI? If he's as Irish as you say, he could easily take the initiative to get into our system 

Aye these lads from the 6 know they are eligible, if they want to play for us, I'd imagine it's not too difficult to let the right people know.
Idah Dream!
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 4:12pm

do lads from Kildare or Tipperary have to approach the FAI!? or just lads from Tyrone etc?
KingKenny View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingKenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 4:20pm

do lads from Kildare or Tipperary have to approach the FAI!? or just lads from Tyrone etc?

Is there something about us not approaching players in the north's setup? Can't remember if that's true or something I made up.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 4:20pm

Well obviously, lads from Kildare and Tipperary will be playing within FAI structures, whereas the lads form the North wont be. Had I grown up 10 miles away from where I was reared in North Donegal and had the ability to play international football, I'd certainly have made the FAI aware of just who I wanted to play for, but thats just me. What are you suggesting should happen?
Idah Dream!
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Well obviously, lads from Kildare and Tipperary will be playing within FAI structures, whereas the lads form the North wont be. Had I grown up 10 miles away from where I was reared in North Donegal and had the ability to play international football, I'd certainly have made the FAI aware of just who I wanted to play for, but thats just me. What are you suggesting should happen?

Set up scouting in the North and approach the players deemed good enough? 
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Set up scouting in the North and approach the players deemed good enough? 

exactly. crazy that we are basically giving the IFA a monopoly over a large portion of our potential player base. we are a 32 county team we need 32 county FAI structures 
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 4:50pm

normalise playing for the 32 county team for lads in the 6 counties from a very young age… and not then having to make the “switch “ later on when it then becomes complicated 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 5:02pm

normalise playing for the 32 county team for lads in the 6 counties from a very young age… and not then having to make the “switch “ later on when it then becomes complicated 

I'm all for it, but were assurances given by the FAI that we wouldnt do that? 

I dont really care, I cannot understand how young nationalist lads can stand while God Save the King plays and I think it's backwards and ignorant of the IFA to continue to insist on this. I'm all for courting 6 county lads more aggressively, but I'm honestly not sure that it will make much difference. These lads are very aware, a lot more aware than a lot of us in the 26 about these issues, if they are of a mind to play for us, they will make it happen!
Idah Dream!
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 5:49pm
Players want to maximise there potential and playing internation football raises that profile and money making opportunity. This is the main reason young nationalists are playing ball for the North make no mistake. Even Hames McLeans brother said the same when asked would he play for N Ire
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 6:51pm
Jamie Bowden has been released by Spurs.
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 6:59pm
A sign of the mad world of international football.. the starting CB pairing tonight for a country of the dizzy heights of Spain has two French players who only gained citizenship through residency from their careers in Spain. Shows the level of pragmatism even top nations show to expand their playing pool.

Edited by SC92 - 15 Jun 2023 at 7:00pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

A sign of the mad world of international football.. the starting CB pairing tonight for a country of the dizzy heights of Spain has two French players who only gained citizenship through residency from their careers in Spain. Shows the level of pragmatism even top nations show to expand their playing pool.

As repeated already it’s part and parcel of it nowadays but little oul moralising Paddy should somehow be above it or lose the rag when it crosses our path. 

I liked Crawfords passionate “he has a pathway here” and he’s not wrong Cannon has been given a pathway to the senior team in this instance. Neither him or Kenny have put a foot wrong. 

I do find his “some nations pursue players aggressively” comment bizarre in the sense he’s implying it as a dig. 

Not having a go at Crawford but that’s what we are meant to be doing too ffs. LOL

Edited by kevin100 - 15 Jun 2023 at 7:23pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

Tbf, Laporte is a Basque from near the Spanish border, but the point stands. Every nation maximises their playing pool and doesn't apologise for it, the idea that we should be morally different is something akin to De Valera's pipe dream of Ireland being a pious, poor, agrarian utopia.
We're decent enough..
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 8:18pm
France's loss, Laporte was capped at every level, and didn't declare for Spain until he was 27
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

France's loss, Laporte was capped at every level, and didn't declare for Spain until he was 27

A strange one. Laporte is easily as good if not better than France's admittedly top quality selection of CBs. How he didn't get capped before his  injury a few years ago I don't know but they are stocked in that area for sure.

Edited by SC92 - 15 Jun 2023 at 8:33pm
williemc83 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williemc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 8:44pm

[/QUOTE]

I'm all for it, but were assurances given by the FAI that we wouldnt do that? 

I dont really care, I cannot understand how young nationalist lads can stand while God Save the King plays and I think it's backwards and ignorant of the IFA to continue to insist on this. I'm all for courting 6 county lads more aggressively, but I'm honestly not sure that it will make much difference. These lads are very aware, a lot more aware than a lot of us in the 26 about these issues, if they are of a mind to play for us, they will make it happen!
[/QUOTE]

No, Brian Kerr had a policy of not 'poaching' NI players (his words - not mine).

It was a Brian Kerr policy, not an FAI policy. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 425426427428429 452>
  Share Topic