You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 422423424425426 451>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

If not already mentioned Shea Charles whom came on for city yesterday has family from kileavy armagh, think have a grand parent connection 

Has six caps for NI
Sponsored Links

armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

If not already mentioned Shea Charles whom came on for city yesterday has family from kileavy armagh, think have a grand parent connection 

Has six caps for NI

sh*te, hoping he had slipped through the cracks
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

I wonder are our scouts having a closer look at Denis Cirkin?

LB a problem spot for us in the near-future. 

He's making more and more waves, and could be a PL player next year.  

Though looks unlikely to be involved with England in the foreseeable future, whatever about Lithuania.

I think you mean Latvia but as YTM said above, he'll likely be involved with Englands 21s. I think he's also eligible for Russia but could be wrong about that.

Kenny has approached him seemly.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 10:01am
From John Fallon's article about the press conference:

Another defender who could be among the squad for the September clashes with France and Netherlands is Dennis Cirkin.

Kenny has been aware of the left-sided player’s Dublin birthplace since taking over as U21 manager in 2019 but his enhanced profile during Sunderland’s surge to the playoffs made him a viable contender.

Cirkin represented England, where his parents hail from, up to U20 level. Enquiries about his eligibility considering tweaked Fifa rules on switching allegiances are ongoing.

“I know all about Dennis,” revealed the boss. “He declared for England, so we’ll have to see on that one.

“He’s just focussing on Sunderland this season. I’ve asked that question and I’m not even 100% sure. It’s yet to be confirmed that he can switch and he hasn’t applied to do so.”

Really hope by where his parents hail from he meant where they live because that's shocking for someone that's meant to be a journalist. He's also an Irish citizen by birth so not sure what needs to be confirmed about can he switch

Edited by J89 - 02 Jun 2023 at 10:04am
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:11am

Another defender who could be among the squad for the September clashes with France and Netherlands is Dennis Cirkin.

Kenny has been aware of the left-sided player’s Dublin birthplace since taking over as U21 manager in 2019 but his enhanced profile during Sunderland’s surge to the playoffs made him a viable contender.

Cirkin represented England, where his parents hail from, up to U20 level. Enquiries about his eligibility considering tweaked Fifa rules on switching allegiances are ongoing.

“I know all about Dennis,” revealed the boss. “He declared for England, so we’ll have to see on that one.

“He’s just focussing on Sunderland this season. I’ve asked that question and I’m not even 100% sure. It’s yet to be confirmed that he can switch and he hasn’t applied to do so.”

Really hope by where his parents hail from he meant where they live because that's shocking for someone that's meant to be a journalist. He's also an Irish citizen by birth so not sure what needs to be confirmed about can he switch

John Fallon is wrong about anything dual-eligable 100% of the time.
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

John Fallon is wrong about anything dual-eligable 100% of the time.

This.

Dreadful journalist. In a separate article about Jake O'Brien he calls Man City "Saudi-owned".

Also - it doesnt seem like the contact from Kenny was all that recent. Nothing to report here really.

Edited by giveittochristie - 02 Jun 2023 at 11:23am
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:17am
He's just quoting Kenny.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:21am
That's a desperately poor article all round - Fallon sets it up as being that Cirkin is a genuine contender for a squad place in September. That's then backed up by quotes that say nothing of the sort - they say that he has declared for England, he's focusing on his club and Kenny's not even 100% sure he's eligible anyway.

And it's nearly as bad from Kenny with the "it's yet to be confirmed that he can switch" comment. Of course he can switch, he was born in Ireland at a time when anyone born on the island was automatically eligible for Irish citizenship. He can switch if he wants to, Kenny should know that and it's telling that he doesn't seem to.

Just shows the state of things on both sides of the press conference table right now to be honest.

Edited by You Tell Me - 02 Jun 2023 at 11:24am
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:23am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

That's a desperately poor article all round - Fallon sets it up as being that Cirkin is a genuine contender for a squad place in September. That's then backed up by quotes that say nothing of the sort - they say that he has declared for England, he's focusing on his club and Kenny's not even 100% sure he's eligible anyway.

And it's nearly as bad from Kenny with the "it's yet to be confirmed that he can switch" comment. Of course can switch, he was born in Ireland at a time when anyone born on the island was automatically eligible for Irish citizenship. He can switch if he wants to, Kenny should know that and it's telling that he doesn't seem to.

Just shows the state of things on both sides of the press conference table right now to be honest.

Kenny Out!
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:59am
While Cirkin is clearly a player with a bit of ability, it should be pointed out that we have several options coming through in the LB position, while many on here are also bemoaning the fact that Manning hasnt made the squad. Any/all of Adaramola, Furlong, Roughan and even Bagan could be playing regular Championship football next season. Cirkin is with the English U21s currently, is eligible for Latvia, the country of his parents' birth, likely Russia too. He also happens to be Irish eligible by birth (think he left Ireland when he was under 2yo), but he is unlikely to have any natural affinity to us which is entirely understandable. I wouldnt die in a ditch over this lad.

Edited by John Nice - 02 Jun 2023 at 12:03pm
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

And it's nearly as bad from Kenny with the "it's yet to be confirmed that he can switch" comment. Of course he can switch, he was born in Ireland at a time when anyone born on the island was automatically eligible for Irish citizenship. He can switch if he wants to, Kenny should know that and it's telling that he doesn't seem to.

What is telling is you continuing to have a go at Kenny at every single available opportunity often on the flimsiest of pretexts. Seriously give it a rest man, we get it, you dont rate him and you want rid, you arent alone in that, but banging on over every single little issue just comes across as petty tbh.
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 12:07pm
It's pretty bad if the national team manager doesn't know the eligibility rules after three years in the job in fairness. 
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

While Cirkin is clearly a player with a bit of ability, it should be pointed out that we have several options coming through in the LB position, while many on here are also bemoaning the fact that Manning hasnt made the squad. Any/all of Adaramola, Furlong, Roughan and even Bagan could be playing regular Championship football next season. Cirkin is with the English U21s currently, is eligible for Latvia, the country of his parents' birth, likely Russia too. He also happens to be Irish eligible by birth (think he left Ireland when he was under 2yo), but he is unlikely to have any natural affinity to us which is entirely understandable. I wouldnt die in a ditch over this lad.
Cirkin is quite far ahead of the rest of the lads you've listed there. Regardless, I'd be very surprised to see him switch. He was born here but that's it, no familial or nostalgic ties to Ireland. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Cirkin is quite far ahead of the rest of the lads you've listed there. Regardless, I'd be very surprised to see him switch. He was born here but that's it, no familial or nostalgic ties to Ireland. 

My point is he's not ahead of Manning who isnt in the current squad and any/all of the four other lads listed could very well be playing at the same level as him next season. Furlong in particular has impressed me on his first foray in to senior mens football, while I'm aware that others on here are excited by Roughan, while Adaramola made the bench for Palace in the PL for the last two games of the season. Cirkin is older than those 3 also - 16 months older than Roughan. Bagan also looked a decent prospect 2 seasons ago, but injury seems to have stalled his progress. 

Cirkin had a stop start season for Sunderland, tbf mainly due to a succession of injuries. I wasnt overly impressed with him on the couple of occasions I have seen him play, but he clearly has ability if he is playing regularly in the Championship at 20/21 and winning underage caps for England. I just dont think it's a particular issue to get worked up about.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 1:30pm
Jon Gallagher scored again for Austin FC last night in the MLS, thats 5 goals and an assist in 12 starts this season playing as a Right Wing Back. 27 now which might work against him, but with Coleman's career likely coming to an end in the not too distant future, could he be an option?

Ronan also seems to be going well enough over there.

Worth noting that Greece have had two MLS players involved in recent squads - ex-Celtic player Giakoumakis now at Atlanta started their last game. He has 9 goals in 7 starts and 5 sub apps this season, so clearly in form.
Idah Dream!
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 3:07pm

Convienient that he was born here, another looking for an Irish passport......
The dark side.. And the light
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 7:01pm
Agree that Cirkin probably doesn't have much of a connection to Ireland, but he is not going to be good enough to play for England. Then it's between Ireland and Latvia for his international career. Maybe he feels Latvian and will play for them, fair play if so, but if he is thinking about going to a tournament we are his most likely option to get to one. 

Wouldn't lose any sleep over whatever happens anyway as we have similar level options now and a good few lads who could kick on in that position over the next 2 or 3 years. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 7:02pm
I think Cirkin's parents are ethnic Russians born in Latvia, so it's possible he doesn't feel a huge connection with Latvia either. I reckon he'll be sticking with England for a few more years anyway.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 422423424425426 451>
  Share Topic