You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 415416417418419 452>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by gongman gongman wrote:

He’s a decent enough player, but needs more game time under his belt to really become a “1st team” player.

Apparently doing well on loan in Portuguese league, hope that helps him kick on.

From what I can see, he's had an average enough spell at Vitoria de Guimares. 1 goal and 2 assists in 8 starts and 6 sub apps in the Portugese League. He also scored 2 as a sub in a cup game. Whoscored rating is poor enough (6.46). He's 23 now, will be 24 in April, unlikely to improve the squad in the short term and as others have pointed out, our current set up doesnt really favour wide players.

To be quite honest, who really cares what his Whoscored rating is, same for any other player, it doesn't really matter a bit what some website gives any player. I'd be much more interested in what they might bring to the group & how they fit in, do they offer something we don't currently have etc

It's an area we aren't blessed with in terms of players, he's another option to have a look at, no harm in having him on board

You clearly dont! Anyway, just putting it out there. Fwiw any time I saw him play for Celtic, he looked like a lad with a bit of flair, tricky but with a lack of end product. His stats arent particularly great in that regard this season, leaving aside the rating. He's still young enough, but it's hard to see him challenging for a spot in our first XI any time soon. Happy enough to have him on board, the more options the better and like any player his age, there might be improvement in him yet.

Whoscored have Kieran Trippier as the second highest rated player this season in Europe behind Messi! Load of sh*te.

I'm not saying anyone should take them at face value, but generally a good rating like Trippier's would indicate that he is having a good season, which I think he is, whereas a bad rating generally indicates the opposite. It's a reasonable indicator as to the form of a player over a period of games, but like everything has to be taken with a pinch of salt. It's better than simply saying he's sh*t so he is!
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 9:06pm
I think Whoscored ratings are a great objective way to evaluate how a player is getting on (as opposed to nationally subjective fan forums for instance) The ones who are towards the top of each league are precisely the ones you'd expect to be, watching their performances. Only flaw is it doesn't favour players who come on as subs a lot. 
Outside the big three in Portugal though the standard is mediocre so if he's not getting in the team he can't be playing too well. Managers will pick the players they think will win them win games as they are all under pressure to do that, makes no difference whether they were on loan or not. If we're playing wingers you've got Robinson, O'Dowda, Sykes and Ogbene obviously ahead of him and likes of Knight, McClean, Brady and Manning could be deployed there. He'll just get shunted in to the squad like Hamilton just because Kenny got him on board, not to improve us.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

I think Whoscored ratings are a great objective way to evaluate how a player is getting on (as opposed to nationally subjective fan forums for instance) The ones who are towards the top of each league are precisely the ones you'd expect to be, watching their performances. Only flaw is it doesn't favour players who come on as subs a lot. 
Outside the big three in Portugal though the standard is mediocre so if he's not getting in the team he can't be playing too well. Managers will pick the players they think will win them win games as they are all under pressure to do that, makes no difference whether they were on loan or not. If we're playing wingers you've got Robinson, O'Dowda, Sykes and Ogbene obviously ahead of him and likes of Knight, McClean, Brady and Manning could be deployed there. He'll just get shunted in to the squad like Hamilton just because Kenny got him on board, not to improve us.
That's pretty much how I see it also regarding Johnstone. I also agree with your point re the ratings where subs are involved!

Edited by John Nice - 02 Mar 2023 at 9:44pm
Idah Dream!
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 10:24pm

What a load of waffle.. Vítoria would wipe the floor with any of the teams associated with the players mentioned above. Please, refer to their recent (Tapsoba, Edwards) and continuing (Bamba, Andre Almeida) production line. Braga, another team outside the Big 3 were in the knockout stages of Europa league and sold their striker for 30million to Marseille. 

I know one or two people who spend a lot of time watching Vitoria and all rate him.
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

What a load of waffle.. Vítoria would wipe the floor with any of the teams associated with the players mentioned above. Please, refer to their recent (Tapsoba, Edwards) and continuing (Bamba, Andre Almeida) production line. Braga, another team outside the Big 3 were in the knockout stages of Europa league and sold their striker for 30million to Marseille. 

I know one or two people who spend a lot of time watching Vitoria and all rate him.

And I know a few lads down the pub, means nothing.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 11:13pm

Waffle is harsh. They are 5th in the League, 12 points behind Braga in 3rd and have scored just 21 goals in 22 games. Johnstone has started 8 of those 22 games plus 6 sub apps, 1 goal, 2 assists. They also didn't make it through qualifying to the group stages of the conference league this season and it was 3 years prior to this season since they last qualified for Europe.The Portuguese League is ranked just behind the Dutch and just ahead of Belgium and the SPL. It's a decent league with 3 big clubs and braga who have been doing well in recent years. Vitoria have been 6th, 7th, 7th in the last 3 seasons.

Edited by John Nice - 02 Mar 2023 at 11:22pm
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 11:27pm

Tbf Johnstone is 4 years younger than hamilton and has had his injury issues, so probably has a lot more scope for improvement than cj. Still only 23 and definitely has ability so he may become useful in the future!
Idah Dream!
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 11:31pm

You have a large posse of amigos in Guimaraes then? Vitoria are well behind the teams above....they are the equivalent of Hearts or Hibs. Would you pick players off their subs bench? So he's the 18th best player in a squad ranked 136th in Uefa coefficient, but those objective statistics against the opinion of your imaginary pals in some regional Portuguese town 
I expect you were one of those goons getting all excited about how Byrne and Crowley were getting a couple of assists at some diddy obscure club in the lower depths of the Eredivisie
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 11:44pm

I know one or two people who spend a lot of time watching Vitoria and all rate him.i
You have a large posse of amigos in Guimaraes then? Vitoria are well behind the teams above....they are the equivalent of Hearts or Hibs. Would you pick players off their subs bench? So he's the 18th best player in a squad ranked 136th in Uefa coefficient, but those objective statistics against the opinion of your imaginary pals in some regional Portuguese town 
I expect you were one of those goons getting all excited about how Byrne and Crowley were getting a couple of assists at some diddy obscure club in the lower depths of the Eredivisie

Jake Doyle-Hayes had his advocates less than 2 years ago Cry

Edited by John Nice - 02 Mar 2023 at 11:44pm
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 9:19pm
Eoin Toal in the NI squad announced this week. He has done very well since moving over to Bolton but it probably makes sense for him to settle for the north - as a 24 year old right footed centre back he would have had a lot of traffic in front of him to get a cap with us.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Eoin Toal in the NI squad announced this week. He has done very well since moving over to Bolton but it probably makes sense for him to settle for the north - as a 24 year old right footed centre back he would have had a lot of traffic in front of him to get a cap with us.
Agreed, think I read that he also captained the 6 at u21 level.
Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 6:34am
Isaac Price also included in that NI squad.
We're decent enough..
scottyccfc View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyccfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 11:22am
Johnston confirmed just now anyway
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Luke Harris, a 17 year old attacking midfielder who made his EPL debut tonight for Fulham, is seemingly qualified to play for Ireland. However he is also Welsh qualified and - in typical Welsh fashion - they've already brought him into their senior squad to fend off any other interest.

17 year-old Luke Harris, apparently being considered by Chelsea for a £30 million bid, has been called up to the Welsh senior squad, along with a few other, uncapped, young, English-born players. 

Have not seen evidence of his links to Ireland other than here.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 5:15pm

He mentions it here anyway, albeit not in enough detail to confirm that he definitely qualifies. Anyway it looks like he's going with Wales.
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 5:15pm

Edited by drog addict - 14 Mar 2023 at 5:16pm
Chips don't bounce
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 5:42pm
As usual, Wales don't wait around for things to get messy.
We're decent enough..
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 5:48pm
The Brits should have one football team.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 415416417418419 452>
  Share Topic