Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 414415416417418 452>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 10:45am
Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

Yeah he is a player that had a very good youth career (bronze ball in 2018 Toulon) and a decent start at Celtic who in the past 2-3 years hasn't quite managed to build on that.

He has the ability to get his career going again and he's a winger of which we have very,very few. Horgan has gotten about 10 caps under Kenny, CJ Hamilton looked way off it in his brief run out and beyond that we're looking more at wing backs.

As Fozz says above if he's not good enough, he wouldn't have been for Scotland either so this is clearly good news for us.

Horgan is done at international level, not least because we no longer play wingers. Hamilton has played 12 minutes, so I'm not sure how far off it you could possibly look in that time.

Johnston joins a heap of other guys like Harness, Sykes, Curtis, Elbouzedi, Duffy, Sadlier, Scully, Shodipo, etc playing at pretty modest levels and hoping that we'll change our formation to accomodate them
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 10:53am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

Yeah he is a player that had a very good youth career (bronze ball in 2018 Toulon) and a decent start at Celtic who in the past 2-3 years hasn't quite managed to build on that.

He has the ability to get his career going again and he's a winger of which we have very,very few. Horgan has gotten about 10 caps under Kenny, CJ Hamilton looked way off it in his brief run out and beyond that we're looking more at wing backs.

As Fozz says above if he's not good enough, he wouldn't have been for Scotland either so this is clearly good news for us.

Horgan is done at international level, not least because we no longer play wingers. Hamilton has played 12 minutes, so I'm not sure how far off it you could possibly look in that time.

Johnston joins a heap of other guys like Harness, Sykes, Curtis, Elbouzedi, Duffy, Sadlier, Scully, Shodipo, etc playing at pretty modest levels and hoping that we'll change our formation to accomodate them
That list makes for grim reading. We'd be hoping that Kone-Doherty and Zefi come good, be nice to have some talented wide players.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 11:00am
But we don't really play with wingers much, so I don't see the point. 

Looking at his career stats and injury record, unless this guy either a) really steps it up from what he has achieved to date or b) successfully converts into a high quality left wing back I can't see him winning more than a small handful of caps for us.

Incidentally it's very much classic Stephen Kenny for him to go chasing after an Irish eligible winger when we don't play with wingers, and then going all the way to Portugal to see him play only for him to end up being an unused substitute in the game he went to.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 11:36am
Kenny was very much wedded to the 4-3-3 when he started off.
The issues he had were the lack of wingers and no effective #10.
You could also argue Idah was way out of his dept at the time to lead the line.

Are we any closer to resolving those failings?
Well, I'd argue Ferguson could be effective as the lone frontman.

And where's the wingers?
Sure, O'Dowda doing quite well and we have Sykes on form too.
Ogbene looks better as a wide player in my opinion.
And Connolly was coming back to some semblance of form before the injury.
So there's an argument that we are much better equipped now to play the 4-3-3.

But we still lack a playmaker to link it together and they don't grow on trees.
Ronan did it for that 21's campaign.  Can he do enough in the US to justify his place in the squad?
Can Parrott play there?
There are some high hopes in the underage categorioes but they are just potential players, not actual players we can call upon in this campaign.

Johnson is another wide option who may come good and I hope he does, but until we revert to a formation that utilises wide attackers, he won't be a useful asset even if fit and firing.
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 11:46am
The 3-5-2 clearly works well against better sides, but we still struggle to break weaker teams down due to a lack of creativity. 

As you say, that necessitates either playing with a proper 10 (not a Knight type) or with wingers. Johnston could be a useful asset against those types of sides, where the space tends to be out wide. 

Kenny can be accused of many things but he has done well to pluck players out of a lower standard than we'd expect (McGrath and Ogbene) and he's generally been proven right that they've been of international standard.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

And where's the wingers?

Ronan did it for that 21's campaign.  Can he do enough in the US to justify his place in the squad?
Can Parrott play there?
There are some high hopes in the underage categorioes but they are just potential players, not actual players we can call upon in this campaign.

Johnson is another wide option who may come good and I hope he does, but until we revert to a formation that utilises wide attackers, he won't be a useful asset even if fit and firing.

The other thing we need for that though is out and out full backs who are comfortable in a back four which, other than 34 year old Seamus Coleman, we don't have. Plenty of wing backs but they nearly all struggle as full backs. That's where the 3 CBs really helps us, it allows attacking wing backs like Doherty to bomb on forward as needed.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The other thing we need for that though is out and out full backs who are comfortable in a back four which, other than 34 year old Seamus Coleman, we don't have. Plenty of wing backs but they nearly all struggle as full backs. That's where the 3 CBs really helps us, it allows attacking wing backs like Doherty to bomb on forward as needed.

Yeah, I overlooked our lack of FBs alright.
All the underage teams play with a back four, so you'd like to think some will emerge.
But then the FBs from the last U21's campaign have gone nowhere towards earning senior callups, so zero guarantees.
You are talking about the likes of Bagan playing PL2 still, Lyons just geting started at the foot of the Championship, Adamarola also in PL2 and O'Connor in L2.

Ireland's lack of full-backs is puzling, considering how strong we used to be in these areas.

EDIT to add - Sean Roughan is actually doing quite well, getting lots of games at FB in L1 with Lincoln.
So that's one to watch.

Edited by Fozz - 02 Mar 2023 at 12:18pm
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 12:32pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 12:56pm

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Yeah, I overlooked our lack of FBs alright.
All the underage teams play with a back four, so you'd like to think some will emerge.
But then the FBs from the last U21's campaign have gone nowhere towards earning senior callups, so zero guarantees.
You are talking about the likes of Bagan playing PL2 still, Lyons just geting started at the foot of the Championship, Adamarola also in PL2 and O'Connor in L2.

Ireland's lack of full-backs is puzling, considering how strong we used to be in these areas.

EDIT to add - Sean Roughan is actually doing quite well, getting lots of games at FB in L1 with Lincoln.
So that's one to watch.

Furlong has also impressed me in his early games at Motherwell. I would agree generally that our lack of full backs is an issue if we want to revert to 4 at the back, but I do feel that our record in both creating chances and scoring goals vs so-called weaker teams has been poor when employing 3 CBs, so I would like to see some experimentation with a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1. 
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by gongman gongman wrote:

He’s a decent enough player, but needs more game time under his belt to really become a “1st team” player.

Apparently doing well on loan in Portuguese league, hope that helps him kick on.

From what I can see, he's had an average enough spell at Vitoria de Guimares. 1 goal and 2 assists in 8 starts and 6 sub apps in the Portugese League. He also scored 2 as a sub in a cup game. Whoscored rating is poor enough (6.46). He's 23 now, will be 24 in April, unlikely to improve the squad in the short term and as others have pointed out, our current set up doesnt really favour wide players.
Idah Dream!
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 3:33pm
He looked sensational at times for Celtic when he first came through as a young player, skilful and very quick. His career has been plagued by injuries however. I’m glad he’s on board for Ireland and hope it all comes good for him.
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

He’s a decent enough player, but needs more game time under his belt to really become a “1st team” player.

Apparently doing well on loan in Portuguese league, hope that helps him kick on.

From what I can see, he's had an average enough spell at Vitoria de Guimares. 1 goal and 2 assists in 8 starts and 6 sub apps in the Portugese League. He also scored 2 as a sub in a cup game. Whoscored rating is poor enough (6.46). He's 23 now, will be 24 in April, unlikely to improve the squad in the short term and as others have pointed out, our current set up doesnt really favour wide players.

To be quite honest, who really cares what his Whoscored rating is, same for any other player, it doesn't really matter a bit what some website gives any player. I'd be much more interested in what they might bring to the group & how they fit in, do they offer something we don't currently have etc

It's an area we aren't blessed with in terms of players, he's another option to have a look at, no harm in having him on board

Edited by wanderer - 02 Mar 2023 at 3:48pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 3:44pm

And where's the wingers?

Can Parrott play there?

Leaving aside the full back issue, I'd agree that we are possibly moving towards a situation where we might have the attacking personnel to attempt a 433/4231 again

Ferguson/Idah up top - Idah was good in some games but also lacked support from the wide areas in others, still think he can do a good job as a lone front man if required and Ferguson is obviously an option there also.
Ogbene/Sykes - RHS
Connolly/O'Dowda LHS (and now Johnstone)
Smallbone/Azaz/Ronan - #10

Agree re Ogbene being better wide. Dont think Parrott will ever be a true #10 and I'd be sceptical re Ronan's claims for a squad place right now, but Azaz and Smallbone are two lads that might provide a solution. We are still probably a wee way off it and we would need to find full back solutions also, but I think it's something the management team should be looking at. We need an attacking Plan B when we come up against teams where we are likely to dominate possession.
Idah Dream!
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

To be quite honest, who really cares what his Whoscored rating is, same for any other player, it doesn't really matter a bit what some website gives any player. I'd be much more interested in what they might bring to the group & how they fit in, do they offer something we don't currently have etc

It's an area we aren't blessed with in terms of players, he's another option to have a look at, no harm in having him on board

A friend of mine has seen all the Vitoria games this season. His opinion is such that he’s a decent player. Vitoria can’t afford to keep him on, so doesn’t make sense to utilise him week in week out instead of players of similar ability who are gonna be there next season. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 5:03pm

You clearly dont! Anyway, just putting it out there. Fwiw any time I saw him play for Celtic, he looked like a lad with a bit of flair, tricky but with a lack of end product. His stats arent particularly great in that regard this season, leaving aside the rating. He's still young enough, but it's hard to see him challenging for a spot in our first XI any time soon. Happy enough to have him on board, the more options the better and like any player his age, there might be improvement in him yet.
Idah Dream!
PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 5:13pm
Apart from Ferguson and maybe Obafemi when his head is screwed on, the stats and final product from all our younger strikers is abysmal and not improving, Johnston fit right in. 3 or 4 years talking of potential has yielded little. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 5:22pm
https://mobile.twitter.com/McDonnellDan/status/1631339594376519705

Stephen Kenny confirms that Mikey Johnston is firmly in his Euro 2024 plans but still waiting to finalise paperwork to confirm spot in next squad

"He has attributes that we don't have in the squad"

Sounds like he'll be in the next squad if his paperwork is sorted in time, though always did except him to at least attend the camp and train. Even if the paperwork isn't sorted he probably still attend and train like Marcus Harness did before.

Edited by J89 - 02 Mar 2023 at 5:22pm
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 5:23pm

You clearly dont! Anyway, just putting it out there. Fwiw any time I saw him play for Celtic, he looked like a lad with a bit of flair, tricky but with a lack of end product. His stats arent particularly great in that regard this season, leaving aside the rating. He's still young enough, but it's hard to see him challenging for a spot in our first XI any time soon. Happy enough to have him on board, the more options the better and like any player his age, there might be improvement in him yet.

Whoscored have Kieran Trippier as the second highest rated player this season in Europe behind Messi! Load of sh*te.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 414415416417418 452>
  Share Topic