You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 401402403404405 451>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

He was sensitive to criticism, so what? You could hardly blame him for calling out Keith Andrews who had a few big swipes at him when a pundit. I mean - Keith Andrews, currently co-steering the ship straight into an iceberg. And then there was the interview spats. Dogged in-your-face aggression from a hack like  O'Donoghue desperately fishing for a gotcha moment whether we won or lost. Basement journalism.

And were there no other "hyper sensitive" Irish managers? What about Jack? Or Kerr, or even Giles?  O'Neill's tenure may have ended poorly but his biggest mistake was off the pitch when appointing an assistant with an ego the size of a small planet and the charisma of phlegm. A good coach like his former sidekick John Robertson would have made a big difference.

I don't get the current putdowns of former managers who actually achieved something. It's a bloody disgrace. 

O’Neill is a very very good coach and did a fantastic job for us! A few things killed us that Denmark play off result was a nightmare unfortunately and it’s very hard to come back from something like that rightly or wrongly!! 

Things like serious injuries to key emerging players (Brady McCarthy,Coleman) and the likes of Grealish and Rice granny rulers who 30 years ago might have played for us switching killed a nation that stopped producing players for 10 years and couldn’t really afford to lose them!! 

Put those 5 without any injury issues at their best into the fray now with the 2 goalkeepers,Doherty,Collins,Egan, Cullen,Parrott,Obafemi you would have the makings of a very decent side!! 

Roy Keane the bust up with Walters aside yeah blaming him is a bit pointless it’s easy to blame him! The rest of the players in the main speak very highly of him (Meyler,Coleman the best examples) 
Sponsored Links

SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 3:24pm
Probably been mentioned elsewhere, but Bellingham is eligible LOL
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Jobe is apparently eligible alright - Jude is obviously tied to England now.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Jobe is apparently eligible alright - Jude is obviously tied to England now.

If he's half as good as his brother, roll the carpet out for him. For anyone who doubts the use of the granny rule/naturalisation, they'd do well to direct their attention to Morocco vs Portugal today. 7 of Morocco's starting 11 born outside of the country, and 4 of Portugal's 11 the same. Pepe has no familial links to Portugal whatsoever, and he's still one of their greatest ever players, not to mention committed beyond belief.
We're decent enough..
Pinginí View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 6:02pm
The majority, if not all of Morocco's non-native born players are the sons of first generation immigrants, with two Moroccan parents. So they're more Kilbane than Grealish. It's a bit apples to oranges really. Having a single Irish grandparent is very different to having one/two proud Moroccan parents.

Pepe is also Portugese by residency, we're highly unlikely to get many players that way. Other than Ogbene, I don't think we've ever had any player qualify and be good enough through naturalisation.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Pinginí Pinginí wrote:

The majority, if not all of Morocco's non-native born players are the sons of first generation immigrants, with two Moroccan parents. So they're more Kilbane than Grealish. It's a bit apples to oranges really. Having a single Irish grandparent is very different to having one/two proud Moroccan parents.

Pepe is also Portugese by residency, we're highly unlikely to get many players that way. Other than Ogbene, I don't think we've ever had any player qualify and be good enough through naturalisation.

I don't know to what extent that is true, but it certtaibly doesn't apply for all of them (Ilias Chair, for example, is half Polish). More than that, most of them are good enough to have played for their birth nations, who are traditionally stronger than Morocco. Morocco have aggressively went after dual nationality players in a way we haven't since the 90's, and now they're reaping the rewards.
We're decent enough..
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 9:47pm
O'Hara, Kitson, Naughton, Nolan, Knight, Davies and Noble are seven of the highest profile players aggressively pursued over a period of several years as the Staunton era led into the Trapattoni era. None showed any interest in playing for us. Several of them outright said they'd be fine with not playing international football if it wasn't England; Davies said he'd prefer to play for another country he was eligible for.

The next generation had Grealish, who we rolled out the red carpet for. He always had an eye on playing for England long-term, even when he was with us, if he was good enough. Kane, we never stood a chance. Bamford was with us underage and didn't fancy it. As Mick McCarthy pointed out, he was approached several times (by him, not even counting other managers) and he didn't show any interest.

Slightly younger, pretty sure Conor Gallagher and James Maddison have been approached several times each. People struggle to accept it despite the examples I listed of lads like Noble, Naughton, Kitson and O'Hara etc, but some lads are perfectly happy backing themselves and accepting one cap for the country they're from, rather than taking caps from other players for a country they don't identify with; like Kevin Davies, they'd be happier with one cap for them than numerous for us.

Who are these players we need to be more aggressive pursuing? Our underage squads are historically filled with players born in England. Sure Noel King sides were majority English-born, regardless of talent! A lot of his mainstays ended up drifting down the leagues or out of the game altogether. You even have lads like Shane Long and Richard Dunne asking young clubmates if they're eligible (Sean Morrison, Ciaran Clark).

No stone is unturned with the FAI in this regard, one of the few criticisms you can't level at them.

There's no point comparing our situation to Morocco's anymore than there was comparing it to Wales. A few months ago people were insisting we should follow Wales model and cap every Tom, Dick and Harry who's eligible for us at the earliest possible opportunity to tie them down. Now everyone's saying that they only have three good players (Allen, Bale and Ramsey) and they're goosed without them; doomed to a bleak period in the International wilderness.

It's a different situation with Morocco as Pingini pointed out with many different factors, be they socioeconomic, religious or cultural, not to mention the closer generational links. I've known people from that background born in countries like Germany and France and the majority would genuinely identify as both e.g. Algerian/French. Look at Ozil, Ibrahimovic and Zidane. They were good enough to play for whoever they wanted to so went with Germany, Sweden and France since they were born there and more likely to win or compete for trophies, but they're vociferous in identifying culturally as Turkish/Algerian. Probably, largely, due in part to the aforementioned socio-economic factors and disquiet in the majority immigrant urban centres they were born in.

Pepe is of no relevance really. England don't have the player depth Brazil have and noone of Pepe/Deco's quality is ever going to play in the LoI.

TL;DR - how do we pursue eligible players even more aggressively? Who, specifically, are the players we needed to be more aggressive in keeping in the fold?

*Take into account the likes of Delap/Egan-Riley/Barry have already been called up and have decided to stick with England after sampling both countries.
*And yes, I know people will label Rice as the player we should've been more aggressive in tying down but a lot of this is based on apocryphal stories of him being in the squad for the Moldova game, when he wasn't, and was probably quite happy sticking with the under-21s.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 10 Dec 2022 at 9:50pm
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 9:50pm
Well said O'Shea. 

However, even if it were true, so many of Jack's team were grandparent-qualified, not parent qualified. 

I don't believe that we're going to make much of an impact if we don't use our diaspora properly.  We'll get the odd fantastic result, but can't be consistent.

Should we have been more aggressive in this like Morocco, Wales, even NI are? 

Should we, for example, have tried to get Bellingham in the senior squad when he'd played maybe 10 games for Birmingham in 2019?  Or Kane when he was getting experience at Leyton Orient?  Grealish at Notts County?  Rice 5 games in to West Ham career. 

All those guys have real Irish heritage and lineage that they are very proud of.

It's easy to say now that they wouldn't be interested.  But at 17, no one knew they would become the players they have become - but there seemed a good chance that they'd be good enough to be at least squad players for Ireland.  

If we had even two of those players, we'd be qualifying for tournaments. 

At that stage of their career - with European finals for the England senior team no more than a pipe-dream - the prospect of senior caps with a team that was then regularly qualifying for the Euros, that you are related to, would be attractive. 

Wales have shown that with maybe 20 or 30 lads given senior caps and they've expanded their playing pool massively. Similar to us, Wales will always have two or three very strong "native-born" players, but, before they used the eligibility rules, they didn't have strength in depth to back up the Giggs, Hughes, Speed, type guys they had - they'd have Ryan Giggs playing on the same team as a lad from League 1.  

Almost opposite to Jack's team, now we've used the eligibility rules very poorly.  We need to use our diaspora more strategically if we're not going to be looking on at these tournaments from the outside. 

Should we be trying to fast-track guys early like all these countries - Wales, Morocco, NI, USA, Scotland, etc seem to be doing? 

Or do we need lads to have 30 PL appearances before pulling them in so that Glen or Jeff or similar can add to their cap-haul?  

Is it time for us to be more strategic?
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 9:55pm
"Should we, for example, have tried to get Bellingham in the senior squad when he'd played maybe 10 games for Birmingham in 2019? Or Kane when he was getting experience at Leyton Orient? Grealish at Notts County? Rice 5 games in to West Ham career."

LOL

Bloody hell. Journeymen approaching thirty like Jake Clarke-Salter toying with the idea of declaring for us yet some people continue to insist Grealish would've accepted a call-up when he was at Notts County against all the available evidence when he was clearly intent on playing for England. Yeah, he's going to accept 3 minutes at the end of a game against Azerbaijan at the age of 18 and throw away any possibility of an international career with his first choice. Not even going to mention Bellingham or Kane because they've never even commented on Ireland let alone being linked with our underage setup let alone our senior team. I'm Irish and it would be a crime against football if Bellingham threw away the possibility of World Cup semifinals and European Championship finals by somehow getting hoodwinked into being tied down by us. LOL

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 10 Dec 2022 at 10:02pm
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 10:00pm
It's worked for many other nations.  

There are countless examples.  I can't help but feel that we're missing a trick by not being as strategic as many others are, including, incidentally, the larger nations like Germany, Argentina and France.  

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 10 Dec 2022 at 10:01pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Well said O'Shea. 

However, even if it were true, so many of Jack's team were grandparent-qualified, not parent qualified. 

I don't believe that we're going to make much of an impact if we don't use our diaspora properly.  We'll get the odd fantastic result, but can't be consistent.

Should we have been more aggressive in this like Morocco, Wales, even NI are? 

Should we, for example, have tried to get Bellingham in the senior squad when he'd played maybe 10 games for Birmingham in 2019?  Or Kane when he was getting experience at Leyton Orient?  Grealish at Notts County?  Rice 5 games in to West Ham career. 

All those guys have real Irish heritage and lineage that they are very proud of.

It's easy to say now that they wouldn't be interested.  But at 17, no one knew they would become the players they have become - but there seemed a good chance that they'd be good enough to be at least squad players for Ireland.  

If we had even two of those players, we'd be qualifying for tournaments. 

At that stage of their career - with European finals for the England senior team no more than a pipe-dream - the prospect of senior caps with a team that was then regularly qualifying for the Euros, that you are related to, would be attractive. 

Wales have shown that with maybe 20 or 30 lads given senior caps and they've expanded their playing pool massively. Similar to us, Wales will always have two or three very strong "native-born" players, but, before they used the eligibility rules, they didn't have strength in depth to back up the Giggs, Hughes, Speed, type guys they had - they'd have Ryan Giggs playing on the same team as a lad from League 1.  

Almost opposite to Jack's team, now we've used the eligibility rules very poorly.  We need to use our diaspora more strategically if we're not going to be looking on at these tournaments from the outside. 

Should we be trying to fast-track guys early like all these countries - Wales, Morocco, NI, USA, Scotland, etc seem to be doing? 

Or do we need lads to have 30 PL appearances before pulling them in so that Glen or Jeff or similar can add to their cap-haul?  

Is it time for us to be more strategic?

You don't make your play, you don't get any results. Of England's current crop, James, Keane, Maguire, Rice, Grealish, Bellingham, Gallagher, Maddison, Bamford, and Kane were all eligible. If we'd seriously went after every single one of them (as you can be sure teams like Morocco, Wales, and even England themselves would have if they were in our position), we'd quite possibly have got a couple of them and we'd be a completely different team. 

Rice was literally in the bag and we still dropped the ball, all because no one had to common sense to think it might be wise to give this dual eligible, potentially world class talent a couple of minutes off the bench in a competitive game. It's unforgivable and we're in a far worse position because of it.

Edited by The O'Shea - 10 Dec 2022 at 11:02pm
We're decent enough..
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 4:40am
I can't see many young players out on loan from a PL club declaring for a country they weren't born in. They're too clued about how it works these days and I'd imagine their agents and parent clubs would actively discourage them from doing it as it would impact their value/potential earnings. That means we'd only have a chance of getting them into our set-up (if they haven't already been) when they're in their mid-20's and have many players ahead of them.

The make-up of Morocco's squad is a generational thing but it's also a cultural/religious thing. It's a lot harder for Arabs/Muslims to assimilate to a European country, especially one in which they will experience racism on a regular basis. So it's no surprise that the like of Hakimi or Bono declared for them, even if the Moroccan federation aggressively pursued them.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 9:56am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

I can't see many young players out on loan from a PL club declaring for a country they weren't born in. They're too clued about how it works these days and I'd imagine their agents and parent clubs would actively discourage them from doing it as it would impact their value/potential earnings. That means we'd only have a chance of getting them into our set-up (if they haven't already been) when they're in their mid-20's and have many players ahead of them.

The make-up of Morocco's squad is a generational thing but it's also a cultural/religious thing. It's a lot harder for Arabs/Muslims to assimilate to a European country, especially one in which they will experience racism on a regular basis. So it's no surprise that the like of Hakimi or Bono declared for them, even if the Moroccan federation aggressively pursued them.

That might sound intuitively correct, but I'm not sure it stands up to scrutiny. There are plenty of Muslims who line out for Spain/France/Belgium/Holland/Germany etc which is where these players come from mostly, it's only in recent years though that Morocco have been really successfully in attracting players that are good enough to represent their birth countries to represent them instead. It's hard to view that as anything other than a concerted effort on he part of the Moroccan federation.

It also fails to explain why countries likes Wales and Canada have had great success with dual eligible players - in Wales case there's no great anti-Welsh prejudice in England which would explain why people of Welsh ancestry would cling more closely to that than usual. In Canada's case basically all of their players are from an immigrant background and eligible for different nations, you would expect that stark cultural differences might lead them to favour their parents countries, but in recent times virtually none of them have.

Edited by The O'Shea - 11 Dec 2022 at 9:58am
We're decent enough..
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 10:13am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

That might sound intuitively correct, but I'm not sure it stands up to scrutiny. There are plenty of Muslims who line out for Spain/France/Belgium/Holland/Germany etc which is where these players come from mostly, it's only in recent years though that Morocco have been really successfully in attracting players that are good enough to represent their birth countries to represent them instead. It's hard to view that as anything other than a concerted effort on he part of the Moroccan federation.

It also fails to explain why countries likes Wales and Canada have had great success with dual eligible players - in Wales case there's no great anti-Welsh prejudice in England which would explain why people of Welsh ancestry would cling more closely to that than usual. In Canada's case basically all of their players are from an immigrant background and eligible for different nations, you would expect that stark cultural differences might lead them to favour their parents countries, but in recent times virtually none of them have.

I was specifically talking about Arab/North African Muslims. There's an automatic assumption based on looks that they would be Muslim, making it harder to assimilate into a new country, especially one which is a Christian country. It's definitely a big reason (IMO) why the Moroccan federation have been successful in their recruitment, as a lot of their parents would be immigrants.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 12:24pm

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I was specifically talking about Arab/North African Muslims. There's an automatic assumption based on looks that they would be Muslim, making it harder to assimilate into a new country, especially one which is a Christian country. It's definitely a big reason (IMO) why the Moroccan federation have been successful in their recruitment, as a lot of their parents would be immigrants.

Again, I'm not sure that's true. Most of France/Belgium/Hollands Muslim players are North African, Germany's are mostly Turkish or North African, and Spain's are mostly West African or North African. They all look "different" to the native born population and they're all Muslims, I'm not sure why it would be automatically harder or easier for one to integrate over the other (if anything, West Africans in Spain and Turks in Germany get a particularly tough ride).

I think if there's any further proof needed that most of this is simply down to Morocco's insistence on aggressively pursuing dual nationals, we need only consider the recent eligibility rule change - which was largely prompted by Morocco continuing to pursue a player (Munir) who was no longer even eligible for them! They have been so insistent on this path that they have literally pushed FIFA into altering the rules to their benefit; meanwhile we won't even give a few minutes off the bench to top class talents who have come through various levels of our youth system.... We deserve to be where we are for our stupidity.

Edited by The O'Shea - 11 Dec 2022 at 3:26pm
We're decent enough..
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 4:42pm
We've benefited from FIFA's eligibility rules more than any other country in history and milked the granny rule for all its worth. All the players in the England squad with Irish heritage are there because they'd rather play for England. The ones end up with us are the ones not good enough for them, its always been that way and all it will be. Ye there will forever be people bleating that the FAI and whatever manager isn't doing enough because players don't want to play for us over England.
Nobody on here was saying Rice should be in our team against Moldova, because he hadn't really made the breakthrough at West Ham at the time yet acting as if he should have been. He turned out for us in the matches he did, knowing he could switch at any time.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

We've benefited from FIFA's eligibility rules more than any other country in history and milked the granny rule for all its worth. All the players in the England squad with Irish heritage are there because they'd rather play for England. The ones end up with us are the ones not good enough for them, its always been that way and all it will be. Ye there will forever be people bleating that the FAI and whatever manager isn't doing enough because players don't want to play for us over England.
Nobody on here was saying Rice should be in our team against Moldova, because he hadn't really made the breakthrough at West Ham at the time yet acting as if he should have been. He turned out for us in the matches he did, knowing he could switch at any time.

Again, that simply isn't true. Basically every country (from minnows like San Marino, to giants like Italy, Argentina, and Portugal) has extensively made use of the eligibility rules regarding qualification by descent and naturalisation.

The statement that we've "milked the granny rule" suggests we've somehow taken advantage of a loophole, which is just pure ignorance. Our state offers citizenship to individuals with an Irish parent/grandparent, we've done nothing more than follow the same logic our state does. It's absolutely incomparable to actual "loopholes" such as what teams like Qatar were doing in the past (ie paying young lads from the other side of the world to live there for a few years so they could get them into national team).
We're decent enough..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 5:26pm
Actually we make it harder for ourselves than many countries by not automatically offering citizenship to those with grandparents bron in Ireland - we make them apply to be citizens. This causes us problems in terms of the current rules also.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 401402403404405 451>
  Share Topic