You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 395396397398399 452>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Haha.  Cos he's eligible and probably has about the same chance of playing for Ireland as Will Keane did at his age.

Dont think thats true, he'll likely re-assess at 22 and see where he's at. Good opportunity for us all to assess where he's at vs Parrott given both are playing Ch football this year.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 1:15pm
I see there is a Sean McAllister playing midfield for Everton in PL2 today from the North. Played GAA growing up.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 10:55am
One downside of the Under 21s going well and in the playoffs is that other countries are getting a bit of a head start in bringing in dual eligible players for the next campaign. Flynn Clarke, who has been linked to us quite a bit, is in the latest Scotland Under 21 squad which is made up of players born in 2002 or later.

Incidentally Tommy Conway, who I think someone mentioned here a few weeks ago, is in that squad as well. Though there's nothing to suggest he's eligible for us in any case.

Notably only one Celtic player in the squad - once again they seem to be struggling badly with their youth development setup, they would usually have a few in every Scotland underage squad.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 11:20am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

One downside of the Under 21s going well and in the playoffs is that other countries are getting a bit of a head start in bringing in dual eligible players for the next campaign. Flynn Clarke, who has been linked to us quite a bit, is in the latest Scotland Under 21 squad which is made up of players born in 2002 or later.

Incidentally Tommy Conway, who I think someone mentioned here a few weeks ago, is in that squad as well. Though there's nothing to suggest he's eligible for us in any case.

Notably only one Celtic player in the squad - once again they seem to be struggling badly with their youth development setup, they would usually have a few in every Scotland underage squad.

He'll be Welsh by October.

I wouldn't agree it's a big issue. The majority of the players flitting between every national team in the UK and Ireland like they're eating M&M's ironically won't be good enough to play international football for any country. Unless they can find a Montserratian grandfather. Clarke and Charlie McCann are far from the best prospects Scotland and Ireland have, let alone England, and they'll drop out of the reckoning when nature takes its course.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 11:34am
In the cases of Clarke and McCann it's more that we're not overloaded with decent centre midfielders for the next under 21 campaign more than anything longer term. I agree neither would have been considered to be big prospects for the senior team down the line.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 11:49am
Clarke isn't getting his game at League Two level and McCann is playing with Rangers B. Only thing that would stand for them compared to our midfielders is age because we don't have any 2002 born midfielders I believe.

Ronan Maher who might be with our U19s is teammates with Clarke at Walsall and playing more than him.

B level in Scotland is rank and someone like Hodge could very easily be doing what McCann is doing or more at that level.

Ferizaj is looking impressive in European games and is three years younger than both.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 11:53am
Yes I think Ferizaj might end up stepping up a campaign early and partnering Hodge in central midfield. He'll be 18 by the time the campaign starts, will probably move to England around then also. There are a few decent options for the attacking center mid position but not as many for the deeper roles that Coventry and Kilkenny have played in this campaign.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 12:31pm
The upcoming U19's triple-header will give us some indications of how that age-group are developing.
And if we get past Isreal, it's another year before the 21's new group will see action, as I understand it (we could play in March if we fail to reach the finals, as we did at the start of the Kenny campaign).

In that case a player like Ferizaj could be done with 19's (their three matches starting next week could be their last for a while if we don't get thru this phase of qualifying) and ready for that next 21's campaign.

Hodge should be a key player for that squad but replacing all of Kilkenny, Coventry, Smallbone, and the likes of Connell/Johansson when they were around, will be a challenge.

Attacking options for that 21's campaign look promising tho, and hopefully the likes of Moran and Armstrong can step up and make names for themselves.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 1:42pm
Charlie McCann has already been called up for the NI senior squad and played for their under-21s after representing both England and Ireland at other underage levels. Baraclough has been capping lots of kids who aren’t ready for international football so McCann will no doubt get his chance if Baraclough is not sacked soon. Young Charlie defected fairly quickly when he came to Glasgow and I would assess that as a survival mechanism rather than any other factor in that environment.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Clarke and Charlie McCann are far from the best prospects Scotland and Ireland have, let alone England, and they'll drop out of the reckoning when nature takes its course.

"Rangers' Charlie McCann has been named in the Northern Ireland Under-21 squad for their upcoming games after switching his international eligibility from the Republic of Ireland"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60787946

[McCann] added: "It was a pretty straightforward decision after speaking to the staff at Northern Ireland.

"It's a great development pathway, there's obviously the connection with Rangers and the fact my dad and all his family are from Belfast is a big factor in the decision - they are all proud of me to represent Northern Ireland."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60797287

I think I'm right in saying that having made his one permitted switch, McCann is now tied to NI.

Edited by Territorial - 13 Sep 2022 at 1:56pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

The upcoming U19's triple-header will give us some indications of how that age-group are developing.
And if we get past Isreal, it's another year before the 21's new group will see action, as I understand it (we could play in March if we fail to reach the finals, as we did at the start of the Kenny campaign).

In that case a player like Ferizaj could be done with 19's (their three matches starting next week could be their last for a while if we don't get thru this phase of qualifying) and ready for that next 21's campaign.

Hodge should be a key player for that squad but replacing all of Kilkenny, Coventry, Smallbone, and the likes of Connell/Johansson when they were around, will be a challenge.

Attacking options for that 21's campaign look promising tho, and hopefully the likes of Moran and Armstrong can step up and make names for themselves.

Ferizaj still U18s so would have two years left at U19s. You'll have Hodge, Jack Henry Francis, and Harry Vaughan that will be the age group for the U21s next summer.

Though if he's starting for the U19s this campaign he very well could move onto the U21s with the 04 group.

Will be interesting to see if Mohan sticks with Alex Murphy as the 6 in midfield. Was impressive against Iceland back in June playing midfield with Harry Vaughan next to him as the ball playing midfielder. From those games Murphy and Vaughan would look to be his midfield two sitting in front of the back three.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Clarke and Charlie McCann are far from the best prospects Scotland and Ireland have, let alone England, and they'll drop out of the reckoning when nature takes its course.

"Rangers' Charlie McCann has been named in the Northern Ireland Under-21 squad for their upcoming games after switching his international eligibility from the Republic of Ireland"

[McCann] added: "It was a pretty straightforward decision after speaking to the staff at Northern Ireland.

"It's a great development pathway, there's obviously the connection with Rangers and the fact my dad and all his family are from Belfast is a big factor in the decision - they are all proud of me to represent Northern Ireland."

I think I'm right in saying that having made his one permitted switch, McCann is now tied to NI

Yes, he is now tied to the north. I think he would have been a useful squad player for our Under 21s in the next campaign but, in terms of having a senior international career, he's probably better off with you, I think he would have had to kick on significantly to have had a realistic chance with us. Obviously signing for the club he signed for likely impacted on his decision also.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

I think I'm right in saying that having made his one permitted switch, McCann is now tied to NI.

You can have him, won't be missed LOL
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

You can have him, won't be missed LOL

Yeah you add him to the list of midfielders for the next campaign and he doesn't stand out. Either does Flynn Clarke.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 8:46am
Charlie McNeill striker made his debut for Utd past week 19 and hasn't really been involved with England is eligible.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 10:04am
I understand McNeill has a grandfather from Roscommon but I have never seen any article suggesting he might opt for Ireland. He has played underage football for England and has already debuted for the Man.Utd first team. Prolific goalscorer as a youth. Could be another Will Keane in the making of course.
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 10:43am
https://www.facebook.com/270518322972616/posts/pfbid02ueCb5Ui3say
Here's an interview with a realtion in the Roscommon Hearld 

Edited by ripbomb - 14 Sep 2022 at 10:44am
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 2:52pm
Nice spot. 

If he had Welsh heritage, he'd be in their senior squad.  They just called up Luke Harris, a 17 year old from the Channel Islands, who has made one EFL appearance for Fulham. 

Could join a long-line of promising dual-eligible players they've tied down as teens.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 395396397398399 452>
  Share Topic