You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 372373374375376 451>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 11:52am
I know it's anathema to some, but some eligible English players couldn't be arsed to play for us even if they had no hope of an English cap.

Dave Kitson, Jamie O'Hara, Joey Barton and Patrick Bamford have all indicated this, though O'Hara framed it in a more positive way that he didn't want to take caps from actual Irish players.

Then there are some who are quite happy to wait until they're in their mid to late twenties to declare, at which point they will naturally have found their level at a mid-table Championship team, which, naturally, is not a level that is going to drastically alter our fortunes.

There's quite a lot of people assuming Smallbone will get called up if he's playing PL football and that's it, when recent history shows it's not that simple. Who else has played regular PL football and accepted a call up that would tie them down? Clark, Obafemi (wasn't a regular)? They're rarer than hen's teeth.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 29 Oct 2021 at 11:54am
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I know it's anathema to some, but some English players couldn't be arsed to play for us even if they had no hope of an English cap.

Dave Kitson, Jamie O'Hara, Joey Barton and Patrick Bamford have all indicated this, though O'Hara framed it in a more positive way that he didn't want to take caps from actual Irish players.

Then there are some who are quite happy to wait until they're in their mid-to-late twenties to declare, at which point they will naturally have found their level at a mid-table Championship team, which, naturally, is not a level that is going to drastically alter our fortunes.

There's quite a lot of people assuming Smallbone will get called up if he's playing PL football and that's it, when recent history shows it's not that simple. Who else has played regular PL football and accepted a call up that would tie them down? Clark, Obafemi (wasn't a regular)? They're rarer than hen's teeth.

That's fair I was actually a bit annoyed at Mick for constantly namechecking Redmond and Bamford initially as Redmond certainly never seemed bothered and it's not fair on the player either. 
Smallbone has played for us all the way up so until he does otherwise I'm happy to assume he will be no issue. If he rejects the call up do be it. 

Reason I mentioned Delap was due to his obvious Irish connection he may throw his hat at us down the line.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 1:10pm
Barton and Bamford , of those mentioned above, did get to play for England. Mark Noble is one notable PL player who didn't, though it was his life's ambition. He came out with similar stuff to Jamie O'Hara about not wanting to deprive 'real' Irish players of caps. Maddison did tease the idea of playing for Ireland as a ploy to get picked more quickly for England but never had any intention of doing so, I believe he rejected offers of underage caps for us also.

Edited by Green Cockade - 29 Oct 2021 at 1:13pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 1:24pm
Barton mocked Irish internationals with little connection to Ireland and suggested he wouldn't play for Ireland as he didn't feel remotely Irish despite having Irish ancestry.

Bamford indicated even before he got his England cap that he didn't feel like playing for Ireland.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 1:26pm

I know it's anathema to some, but some eligible English players couldn't be arsed to play for us even if they had no hope of an English cap.

That was Mark Noble.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

That was Mark Noble.

It was Dave Kitson before him who even referred to not wanting to block Shane Long's path (both Doyle and Long were his club mates at Reading at the time). 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 2:41pm

That was Mark Noble.

I'm aware of Noble, too, but O'Hara said similar.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 3:57pm
I once had a chat with Danny Murphy. He is proud of his Irish roots (Da from Cork?), always visited on holiday, big fan of The Dubliners etc.

But while he could have gained any number of ROI caps and got to tournament finals etc, he only ever wanted to play for England and was entirely satified with his 9 caps.

He did mention, however, knowing some players who opted for ROI purely for selfish reasons i.e. no particular affinity or sense of "Irishness".
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 4:55pm
I understand footballers taking selfish decisions given the brevity of their careers. I don't like pig ignorant attitudes like those of Barton or Wayne Rooney (whose family I think had Newry roots like Jason McAteer ), who is said to have effed and blinded at the hapless Sammy McIlroy when he tried to recruit the then uncapped youngster for the north. Surprisingly Barton, who like Chris Eubank Snr went through a ludicrous phase of quasi-intellectual posturing at one time, was one of the better behaved footballers doing their coaching badges at Stranmillis College, Belfast a few years ago, though he did irritate one of the barmaids in the nearest bar Cutter's Wharf by constantly calling her 'Sugar Tits.' Best behaved of the lot and most popular with the bar staff was Kevin Kilbane, who was regarded as an absolute gentleman.

Edited by Green Cockade - 29 Oct 2021 at 4:56pm
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 5:59pm

That was Mark Noble.

I'm aware of Noble, too, but O'Hara said similar.

So did Bamford. Can't blame McCarthy for trying but Bamford explained himself well. 

"There was a point when, during my first season at Leeds, where Mick McCarthy did get in touch. I had a knee injury, so I was more focused on getting fit and making sure I could play the rest of the season for Leeds.

But, also, I felt because my heart had been committed to playing for England, and I had always dreamt of that, I felt it would be wrong to then play for Ireland to go and play international football just because they had asked me.

I just think that if I went and played for Ireland, just in order to play international football, when my dream as a little kid was always to play for England and somebody else’s dream might have been to always play for Ireland, and then I ended up taking that slot just because I felt like the England one might never come and it (Ireland) might be, without being disrespectful, the easy option because it’s been offered to me, then I don’t think that’s the right thing to do."
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 6:19pm
Thought I saw Kilbane somewhere - he made eye contact and nodded his head in acknowledgment - but if it was him, he looks extremely boyish for someone in their forties.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 10:18am
Crawford mentioned yesterday that the FAI were interested in Conor Bradley and had been talking to 3rd parties about a possible switch before Baraclough called him up.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 11:09am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Crawford mentioned yesterday that the FAI were interested in Conor Bradley and had been talking to 3rd parties about a possible switch before Baraclough called him up.

Immediately before NI did the exact thing the lush who was managing them previously accused us of doing; capping a player several times to ensure they no longer qualify for anyone else.

When have we ever capped a player who hasn't even played a league game yet.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 11:30am

Immediately before NI did the exact thing the lush who was managing them previously accused us of doing; capping a player several times to ensure they no longer qualify for anyone else.

Wonder if it was done because they knew of the interest or not. Baraclough was the U21 manager for three years before taking the senior role so would have a keen interest in the youth players.

O'Connor and possibly Parrott when Mick capped them. Though I think Parrott might have played a league cup game.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 11:33am
Cheers for the heads up on Bradley. Quotes here: https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40736499.html

“Liverpool are exceptionally keen on him. Our interest was there; we were talking to third parties about him and then, all of a sudden, he got called up to the North’s senior team and played. Anybody of that talent, of course, you’d want onboard.”

Why would the FAI be talking to third parties? I would have thought the most impactful approach would be to ring the lad and/or his parents. I don't know how these things work though.

Edited by Eoink21 - 04 Nov 2021 at 11:33am
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 11:51am
they would probably go through his agent in the first instance. It's obvious enough that NI capped him at least partly to see off this interest. I hope he doesn't regret his decision too much in future, obviously if he ends up being less successful it may indeed have been the right one for him.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 12:09pm
Yeah third parties could be family and agent. Don't think they'd come straight out and say whether they were talking to him directly or who it was.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 12:10pm

Lee O'Connor
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 372373374375376 451>
  Share Topic