You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 371372373374375 452>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

Has William Hondermarck declared for Ireland?

Playing regularly in the Championship but wasn't named in the recent U21 squad

Our options have improved at under 21 level. There is Coventry, Kilkenny, Watson with more Championship experience. There is Devoy and Tierney with European experience for Bohs. There's Noss at Mochengladbach. Johansson, Smallbone...

It's a lot harder to get in than it was. 
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

Has William Hondermarck declared for Ireland?

Playing regularly in the Championship but wasn't named in the recent U21 squad

Our options have improved at under 21 level. There is Coventry, Kilkenny, Watson with more Championship experience. There is Devoy and Tierney with European experience for Bohs. There's Noss at Mochengladbach. Johansson, Smallbone...

It's a lot harder to get in than it was. 

For sure, and just look at Luca Connell who lost his place.
Johansson dropped this window as he hadn't played a minute of club football.
JJPFB, McNulty and Rose left at the 19's as they were unlikely to figure in the 21s.

All positives for the future.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 1:01pm
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 4:49pm
Louis Walsh southend? What’s your research tell you about him HH?
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 8:55pm
Kioso scoring again for MK Dons tonight. Looks to have real ability going forward for a fullback. Playing as a glorified midfielder for Dons this season so far. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 9:00pm
Mark Sykes has finally found his goalscoring touch at Oxford. Third goal of the season for him this evening.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 7:00pm
First start for Barnsley for William Hondermarck tonight.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 8:43pm
Hondermarck playing RCB tonight and getting some good reviews even with Barnsley being poor.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 9:03pm
The good news, Zak Gilsenan's declared for Ireland; the bad news he's picked up a pretty serious injury.

djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

The good news, Zak Gilsenan's declared for Ireland; the bad news he's picked up a pretty serious injury.

Typical Cry I want to play for Irel.. BAM Long term injury LOL
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 2:37pm
Can James Maddison still declare for us? I know he's played in a competitive England game but as I understand by the new FIFA rules, it is only tournaments that make you in-eligible now isn't it? 🤔 
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 2:58pm
He was capped competitively after his 21st birthday which rules him out. I think the new rules state you can earn 3 caps (competitive games included) before you're 21 and are still eligible to switch nations. It's a shame because he's a quality player and isn't getting a look in with England. 

Technically Obafemi is free to switch allegiances to Nigeria or England as it stands

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 28 Oct 2021 at 2:58pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 7:38am
Maddison playerd for England in a qualifier after his 21st birthday. So he's tied to them now.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 8:42am
Matty Cash is a player that I have my doubts over. I know others rate him highly. I just feel he is clearly a converted winger, albeit now playing wing back. 

Anyways, he has only turned 24 and is throwing his lot in with Poland. Sky Sports say he qualifies through his mother and grandfather. Assuming he has one Polish grandparent. 

Not long ago someone like Cash would have been knocking on the door for England. I did a check there and their full backs are Euro 2012 were Leighton Baines, Glen Johnson in with Ashley Cole. 2016 it was Danny Rose, Ryan Bertrand, Nathaniel Clyne accompanying Kyle Walker. 

Maddison is a cut above Cash. A few cuts above him when he's on song. But it's interesting to see just how far the depth of England's squads have come. 

We haven't really seen an English born player come (and stay) on board that has been truly exciting in a while. I mean, Cash would have excited me even though we have Coleman and Doherty. There was Adams recently with Scotland. Wales have had a couple stick with them when they could have reverted to England. Our more recent English-born caps/call-ups of Robinson, Cullen and Keane are not of the same level as Adams or Cash but I'm glad of the former pair. 

Is Clark the last English-born player that was a fairly established Premiership player to throw their lot in with us? I am definitely missing a lot of names.

Anyway, my net point is that qualifying for major tournaments is definitely a huge factor in these decisions. Bamford has an industrial English background on his father's side and may not have been tempted but it dragged out long enough. But Scotland, Poland and Wales have definitely reaped the benefits of tournament qualification in terms of second and third generation call ups. 

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 9:26am
There's a few reasons that quality dual nationality players don't choose ireland anymore. 

One is agents, they will advise players that their careers are short and could be ended with injury at anytime. So it's more lucrative to be a member of the wider England squad than the first team of ireland.

Secondly, ireland have been in the decline for years, the brand of football has been as awful to watch as it must be to play in. Fans stopped coming to watch games and sponsorship dried up.

No investment in development teams for young lads meant we were depending on the English league to develop players for us.

Light at the end of the tunnel is that this looks like it's turning around under Kenny.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

There's a few reasons that quality dual nationality players don't choose ireland anymore. 

One is agents, they will advise players that their careers are short and could be ended with injury at anytime. So it's more lucrative to be a member of the wider England squad than the first team of ireland.

Secondly, ireland have been in the decline for years, the brand of football has been as awful to watch as it must be to play in. Fans stopped coming to watch games and sponsorship dried up.

No investment in development teams for young lads meant we were depending on the English league to develop players for us.

Light at the end of the tunnel is that this looks like it's turning around under Kenny.
I think most players main goal from international football is to play WC's/Euros too. That's not as much of a certainty as it was 20 years ago
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 10:05am
With the strength in depth available to England at present, especially in attack, a dual qualifier will have to be exceptional to make their squad.  Grealish and Rice are real outliers.  You need to be looking at lads who are in the 19-21 bracket and miles off a look in for England. You are giving them something that will raise their profile.   Its a better bet than some bloke for whom the penny has finally dropped in his mid to late twenties. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Ecumenical Matter Ecumenical Matter wrote:

With the strength in depth available to England at present, especially in attack, a dual qualifier will have to be exceptional to make their squad.  Grealish and Rice are real outliers.  You need to be looking at lads who are in the 19-21 bracket and miles off a look in for England. You are giving them something that will raise their profile.   Its a better bet than some bloke for whom the penny has finally dropped in his mid to late twenties. 

Pretty much it and my hope is in the next 5-10 years we will get a few benefits from England having so much depth. Adams I suspect wouldnt have declared for Scotland 7 years ago when they were taking Rooney Townsend Sturridge and Welbeck to World Cups. Now he has no choice. 

Can Maddison declare for us now? That hes played for them over the age of 21 makes me think he can't. What an addition he would be there isn't a side on the planet with half as much depth in his position as England. He'd walk into most 23 man international squads on the planet bar 3 or 4. 

A lad who I'd be watching closely now to see will he declare down the line considering the scenario I have outlined above is the very well touted Liam Delap. He has had an injury too so is only feeling his way back this year.

Edited by kevin100 - 29 Oct 2021 at 11:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 371372373374375 452>
  Share Topic