Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 352353354355356 452>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Britishborn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Englishborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Englishborn Englishborn wrote:

Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Conor Gallagher west brom is eligible for us as well

He's looked alright this season in a bad defence. Has come through the English system until U21 and also eligible for Scotland.

He's a forward / striker 
He’s actually a midfielder from everything I’ve seen of him. 
Probably little chance of this happening but he’d be an excellent addition to Ireland 

Gallagher has been named in the England u21 squad anyway so can put that one to rest. The England u21s also include Hudson-adoi, Mason Greenwood and Eze from crystal Palace. The talent available to them is incredible.

If we'd have included foden sancho james Bellingham as well. We would have won it

Allegiances obviously lie with England, strange that you would spend time on an Irish forum. Not suggesting that you're not welcome of course. It's just a bit odd 
Just enjoy the banter 
Sponsored Links

Englishborn View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Britishborn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Englishborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 3:38pm
also I meant could have won it. I dont think for one minute we have the same depth as France right now but they have included alot of players who have played senior international football.  Their centreback depth is immense 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 4:11pm
Christy Pym highlights:

Some nice save. A bit of a lard arse, but that never stopped Paddy Kenny
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 5:27pm

also I meant could have won it. I dont think for one minute we have the same depth as France right now but they have included alot of players who have played senior international football.  Their centreback depth is immense 

The French U21 squad is filthy.

It's basically a football manager wonderkid list
Englishborn View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Britishborn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Englishborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 6:41am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

True but they have alot of overage players in their squad. Whilst the majority of the England squad is under 21
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 12:10pm

True but they have alot of overage players in their squad. Whilst the majority of the England squad is under 21

Not exactly overage though, if the rules are you can be under 21 when qualifying starts.

If it was strictly u21 they could swap out edouard for mbappe.

Eze, Davies and Godfrey all overage. But could replace them with Bellingham, Foden etc.

Depth of selection pools for each country is really strong. Can see why Musisla picked Germany from a football perspective.

With Che Adams selecting Scotland. I can see alot of dual english - irish nationals selecting Ireland. 
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Frabhoy Frabhoy wrote:

With Che Adams selecting Scotland. I can see alot of dual english - irish nationals selecting Ireland. 

Like Gallagher has  ?   He's long odds for England, IMO
Bamford / Dowell / Mahony / Delap - have all politely declined.

Yet Wales can pick up similar profile players handy enough and Scotland just qualified so yer man suddenly gets his kilt out after turning them down in 2017  

They will select Ireland if there is success here to be part of, like they did under Charlton and if there isn't they won't bother their arses. Like McGoldrick didn't fancy a bit of work when it boiled down to it.  
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 12:25pm

Not exactly overage though, if the rules are you can be under 21 when qualifying starts.

If it was strictly u21 they could swap out edouard for mbappe.

Eze, Davies and Godfrey all overage. But could replace them with Bellingham, Foden etc.

Depth of selection pools for each country is really strong. Can see why Musisla picked Germany from a football perspective.

Not sure this is true. Ireland are unlikely to qualify for a tournament until the next euros come around... and even then maybe not.

I think players agents no longer promote ireland a ls a good international option career wise. And yes, agents have a big influence on this.

Even players with very strong irish connections like Liam delap lean more towards England. I would say that ireland is a difficult sell at the moment from Championship player upwards. 

I believe Robinson was the last player of note to switch to ireland and he's not really an improvement on what we already have to be honest.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 12:43pm
Not a big deal to play for Scotland and Wales if you're English. Same passport, same island. 

They're all just one small part of a big Brit family.
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Like Gallagher has  ?   He's long odds for England, IMO
Bamford / Dowell / Mahony / Delap - have all politely declined.

Yet Wales can pick up similar profile players handy enough and Scotland just qualified so yer man suddenly gets his kilt out after turning them down in 2017  

They will select Ireland if there is success here to be part of, like they did under Charlton and if there isn't they won't bother their arses. Like McGoldrick didn't fancy a bit of work when it boiled down to it.  

It was much easier for Jack to entice these lads as he was a 1966 World Cup Winner with England who the majority of these lads would have looked up to. When lads like Connor Mahoney and Kieran Dowell are declining to jump on board, then you know we have a serious problem attracting players to play for Ireland.
The only way is up
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 1:13pm
Personally I don't think the manager has as much influence as that. You could have trappatoni as manager and Connor mahoney and kieran Dowell would still turn us down.

The fact that both lads would rather not play international football than choose to represent Ireland is where we are now, even though both would say they have strong irish connections.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 1:20pm

Personally I don't think the manager has as much influence as that. You could have trappatoni as manager and Connor mahoney and kieran Dowell would still turn us down.

The fact that both lads would rather not play international football than choose to represent Ireland is where we are now, even though both would say they have strong irish connections.

Went under the radar a bit, but Kieran Dowell was another mentioned by Stephen Kenny as being ineligible, even though he thought he was. Like Redmond, he had stated that he was eligible for Ireland in the past.

After years of “my great-granny had an Irish setter” jokes, a lot of
people may assume that any connection makes you eligible. International football itself is variable. To be eligible for an Italian passport you just need a connection at some point in your paternal line. That seems ridiculous, but those are their laws
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

It was much easier for Jack to entice these lads as he was a 1966 World Cup Winner with England who the majority of these lads would have looked up to. When lads like Connor Mahoney and Kieran Dowell are declining to jump on board, then you know we have a serious problem attracting players to play for Ireland.

I think matching England's qualification record for a bit, qualifying when they didn't (94) and doing well at the actual finals a couple of times had an awful lot more to do with it. Its a career option, as Rice Keane & Grealish have put to bed as a debate forever IMO. We all pick our best available career paths in life, and even when out of work there are some jobs we won't do, regrettably Ireland are in that category for these lads at this time. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 2:41pm
In fairness, we had that unbelievable Eurovision run in the early 90s. I can’t see us getting back to that with Kenny in charge
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

from what I’ve seen of Gallagher I don’t think he’d make a massive difference anyways. Very ordinary 
You obviously haven’t seen much then. He’d instantly be our best midfielder, by far. He tore the Championship up and was consistently the best player on the pitch while at Charlton. People moan about Cullen getting a chance, well Gallagher is levels above him. Nothing ordinary about him at all. He’ll easily become a England senior player and a talent we could only dream of having at the moment. 
Ah here. Are you his dad or something?

He's a good player. He's lively and decent in tight situations but he could do with getting his head up a bit more and he will not "easily become a England senior player". He might become one but not easily. 
Here I’m a Charlton season ticket holder and watched him for years at youth level with Chelsea’s dominant side. I’ve seen him about 10x more than anyone here I’d say. 

CM is England’s weakest position, he’ll easily get some caps. He tore the Championship up at 19 and has put in some very good performances in the PL at 20. You’d be w**king yourself silly if he actually played for Ireland. 
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 5:30pm

from what I’ve seen of Gallagher I don’t think he’d make a massive difference anyways. Very ordinary 
You obviously haven’t seen much then. He’d instantly be our best midfielder, by far. He tore the Championship up and was consistently the best player on the pitch while at Charlton. People moan about Cullen getting a chance, well Gallagher is levels above him. Nothing ordinary about him at all. He’ll easily become a England senior player and a talent we could only dream of having at the moment. 

He's a good player. He's lively and decent in tight situations but he could do with getting his head up a bit more and he will not "easily become a England senior player". He might become one but not easily. 
Here I’m a Charlton season ticket holder and watched him for years at youth level with Chelsea’s dominant side. I’ve seen him about 10x more than anyone here I’d say. 

CM is England’s weakest position, he’ll easily get some caps. He tore the Championship up at 19 and has put in some very good performances in the PL at 20. You’d be w**king yourself silly if he actually played for Ireland. 

He may well get an England cap in a few years I don’t know but I think he’s far from a stand out player. Yes he’s 20 playing in the premier league so he obviously has something about him but I don’t think he is as good as you are making him out to be . Looks fairly ordinary to me . 
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 6:11pm

He may well get an England cap in a few years I don’t know but I think he’s far from a stand out player. Yes he’s 20 playing in the premier league so he obviously has something about him but I don’t think he is as good as you are making him out to be . Looks fairly ordinary to me . 

Well a Charlton season ticket holder that watches Chelsea underage sides  whilst also having some link to Canada knows otherwise. Knows 10x more even. 

Edited by Eoink21 - 17 Mar 2021 at 6:11pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 6:35pm
Is there a list of players that are actually eligible for us? Must be a few players here and there.

I've kinda lost track of what eligible even means anymore with the whole Johanneson drama, Robinson never being eligible but still playing for us and the new eligibility rules that mean some Brazilians are now eligible to play for China.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 352353354355356 452>
  Share Topic