You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 348349350351352 451>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

https://twitter.com/chrisbowerbank/status/1367086193939271683

Supposedly Nathan Redmond is on a list of players looking to switch to Jamaica, If true Why we aren't busting a gut to get him to declare for us is beyond me

Jamaicans would probably ask the same thing if he declared for us. People falling over themselves because of stuff his mother said on Twitter once and deciding that he's Irish or proud of his Irish roots.

I don't know why it still surprises people that not every English outcast creams themselves over the possibility of representing us when in Bamford, Redmond, Noble, O'Hara and Kitson to name a few, there are plenty of examples of players who just couldn't be arsed one way or other.

In theory, Anthony Pilkington could've been a great player for us. He wasn't. What makes people assume all of these lads will have the motivation to put forth the same work rate they do at club level anyway?

Especially in this era of Intl football taking a backseat in terms of importance to club football, even with players who play for their own born and bred country.

If Redmond did declare for us, I'd bet anything he would make about as much impact, maybe slightly more, as Pilkington.
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Supposedly Nathan Redmond is on a list of players looking to switch to Jamaica, If true Why we aren't busting a gut to get him to declare for us is beyond me

Jamaicans would probably ask the same thing if he declared for us. People falling over themselves because of stuff his mother said on Twitter once and deciding that he's Irish or proud of his Irish roots.

I don't know why it still surprises people that not every English outcast creams themselves over the possibility of representing us when in Bamford, Redmond, Noble, O'Hara and Kitson to name a few, there are plenty of examples of players who just couldn't be arsed one way or other.

In theory, Anthony Pilkington could've been a great player for us. He wasn't. What makes people assume all of these lads will have the motivation to put forth the same work rate they do at club level anyway?

Especially in this era of Intl football taking a backseat in terms of importance to club football, even with players who play for their own born and bred country.

If Redmond did declare for us, I'd bet anything he would make about as much impact, maybe slightly more, as Pilkington.

I'm not saying he'd go on break all our records, but he's a decent player who'd help and would be another option for us.

I agree with you though, hell if he wants to go represent Jamaica fair play to him, as poster above said he might actually have a better chance of qualifying for a WC with Jamaica especially the 2026 edition when the likes of USA and Mexico aren't competing as part of the qualifiers. I think Concacaf will have another 3 qualifiers based on rankings that would Jamaica, Costa Rica and Honduras.

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 3:12pm

My initial reaction is that the guy speaking is probably about as trustworthy as an FAI official. That said, they’ve definitely put in the work getting these lads passports, and gettin Antonio aboard is a good move. A couple more of those are also planning on playing, but getting Aarons and holgate would be remarkable. Both very good promising players on the fringes of the England squad.

I’ve never figured out why more eligible players from the UK don’t play for Jamaica. Good chance of World Cup qualification and a decent team with some excellent players. 

Redmond may fancy his chances with Jamaica more than us or England. Not much you can do about that. 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

My initial reaction is that the guy speaking is probably about as trustworthy as an FAI official. That said, they’ve definitely put in the work getting these lads passports, and gettin Antonio aboard is a good move. A couple more of those are also planning on playing, but getting Aarons and holgate would be remarkable. Both very good promising players on the fringes of the England squad.

I’ve never figured out why more eligible players from the UK don’t play for Jamaica. Good chance of World Cup qualification and a decent team with some excellent players. 

Redmond may fancy his chances with Jamaica more than us or England. Not much you can do about that. 

I've no knowledge on the subject but the international breaks for Jamaica might be a bit off putting when employed by an English club.

That being said, be some craic landing in Kingston mon. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

I've no knowledge on the subject but the international breaks for Jamaica might be a bit off putting when employed by an English club.

That being said, be some craic landing in Kingston mon. 

Yeah exactly - would be unreal qualifying for the World Cup and getting all the fans whipped up
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 9:45am
It seems that he never had any interest in playing for Ireland and has always had an affinity with his Jamaican roots. He also thinks, quite rightly,  that his chance with England has gone. 
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It seems that he never had any interest in playing for Ireland and has always had an affinity with his Jamaican roots. He also thinks, quite rightly,  that his chance with England has gone. 

If his last few performances were anything to go by Jamaica would be better playing one of their bobsleigh team ahead of himLOL
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 2:04pm
Redmond might as well play for Jamaica. They will have a better chance of qualifying for the next world cup than we have anyway. We seem to be going nowhere.
The only way is up
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 2:23pm
The Jamaicans seem to be employing Charlton esq tacits of mass recruitment. Cant blame them at all 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

The Jamaicans seem to be employing Charlton esq tacits of mass recruitment. Cant blame them at all 
Red stripe and your in?
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 9:35am
Mick put in effort to get Redmond. He clearly has no interest in playing for us. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 7:57pm
Kenny has just stated that Redmond and Callum O'Hare arent eligible 
AS YOU WERE McGx

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 8:03pm

Interesting - can’t wait to hear more about this 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 8:05pm

Interesting - can’t wait to hear more about this 

Think he said they are a generation out. 
AS YOU WERE McGx

wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 8:07pm
Did say Liam Delap has been contacted 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 8:09pm
Anything on Johansson?
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by wexfordman1 wexfordman1 wrote:

Kenny did?
Is that all he said on him?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by wexfordman1 wexfordman1 wrote:

Im not even sure you can say that. I think it was more that they are fully aware of what lads are sh*ting on about on ybig but he's an england player as it stands
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 348349350351352 451>
  Share Topic