You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 346347348349350 451>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 3:34am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Surely O’Hare would have been approached by now. His sister is a world champion Irish dancer and the family have a lot of connections via the community in Birmingham and the Coventry team. I’d be amazed if we weren’t looking at him because he has talent 

This might be a long shot, but maybe he has aspirations of playing for England?

Yeah, maybe so. I suppose we’ll find out
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 7:18pm
Get Lord Bamford in that Irish squad now 😂😂😂
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 1:14pm
Bit of a surprise this one. Ryan Johansson says no decisions have been made and no papers filed re: international status. He’s still “not sure” if he qualifies for Ireland and he hasn’t been focused on international questions since he moved to Sevilla.

I mean, we should be taking the doors off to get him in, considering he chose us before the Lux/Sweden hooha. The recent rule change should make him eligible for us i believe 

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 1:19pm

Bit of a surprise this one. Ryan Johansson says no decisions have been made and no papers filed re: international status. He’s still “not sure” if he qualifies for Ireland and he hasn’t been focused on international questions since he moved to Sevilla.

I mean, we should be taking the doors off to get him in, considering he chose us before the Lux/Sweden hooha. The recent rule change should make him eligible for us i believe 

In fairness, I don't see what he's done exactly to deserve this level of attention. Are we clamouring cause he plays for Seville? Seems like a bit of a Ryan Nolan. Looks good on paper, etc
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

In fairness, I don't see what he's done exactly to deserve this level of attention. Are we clamouring cause he plays for Seville? Seems like a bit of a Ryan Nolan. Looks good on paper, etc

Ah was good at Bayern to be fair on the bench for friendlies Sevilla still a very good team
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 2:21pm

That always stuck with me.
Forgetting whether he will ever be good enough for any International side for a minute, he worked hard with legal people to declare for us and was told no after a lengthy process.
Months later the whole eligibility rules change which would have made his issue moot.  I can't help but feel he should have been advised on the downlow to just sit and wait for the new rules.

As I see it, assuming he hasn't had his Swedish paperwork sorted, he is still a free agent and is eligible for us if he chooses.
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 4:37pm
Which new rule makes him eligible now exactly? 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

Allowed to switch back to Ireland
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 12:00am
Originally posted by wexfordman1 wexfordman1 wrote:

How does that make him eligible though? That rule change is regarding players who have made less than 3 senior caps under the age of 21 no longer being cap tied. That has zero relevance to the Johansson situation. 

He was deemed ineligible because he has played in official youth competitions for Luxembourg thus requiring him to file a one time switch. To file the switch, the rules state he has to have been eligible to play for Ireland at the time of his Luxembourg youth cap. The argument FIFA said was he wasn’t an Irish citizen so wasn’t eligible for Ireland at the time of his official Luxembourg youth cap. What you’ve linked makes no mention of this rule or it being changed. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 1:20am

How does that make him eligible though? That rule change is regarding players who have made less than 3 senior caps under the age of 21 no longer being cap tied. That has zero relevance to the Johansson situation. 

He was deemed ineligible because he has played in official youth competitions for Luxembourg thus requiring him to file a one time switch. To file the switch, the rules state he has to have been eligible to play for Ireland at the time of his Luxembourg youth cap. The argument FIFA said was he wasn’t an Irish citizen so wasn’t eligible for Ireland at the time of his official Luxembourg youth cap. What you’ve linked makes no mention of this rule or it being changed. 

You don’t need to be an Irish citizen to be eligible to play for Ireland. He was eligible when he played for Luxembourg because his maternal grandparents are Irish (I believe, that might be an assumption, but it’s highly likely that they are). His mother is Irish, but was born in England.

I’ll say it’s possibly complicated by the fact he’s played for 3 teams not 2. Hopefully we win out. Been over 2 years since he played for anyone at any level
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 1:21am
Deleted

Edited by DeclanDaly - 27 Feb 2021 at 1:26am
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 1:25am

Ugh - typed out an answer and it didn’t save.

He was eligible for Ireland at the time he played for Luxembourg as his maternal grandparents are Irish. He wasn’t a citizen, but that’s not the rule as far as I know.

It could all perhaps be complicated by the fact that he has played for three teams underage. Either way, he hasn’t played for anyone at senior level and hasn’t played for anyone at any level for over two years.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 1:57am
it might help that he's only played competitively for one country - Luxembourg
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 9:30am
Yeah, as per the new rules I can't see an issue with his eligibility.
They seem tailored to exactly his situation - youth players not being tied down until they get 4+ caps or caps at 21+ years of age.

And likely many other players would have been caught out by his ruling going forward if they didn't change this.

Interesting to see what happens with him if he does make the grade.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 9:46am
Just to clear this up - he thought he was eligible for Ireland previously as his mother (and grandparents on his mother's side) were Irish. However, it turned out his mother was born in England.

It was still thought that he was ok through the grandparents but the Luxembourg FA picked up on wording in the regulations that said that he had to be an Irish citizen when he played competitively for Luxembourg. If his mother had been born in Ireland he would have automatically been an Irish citizen, but she wasn't and he hadn't gone through the foreign birth register process via his grandparents at that stage, so he wasn't actually an Irish citizen when he played competitively for Luxembourg. This made him ineligible for us once he took the competitive caps for Luxembourg.

The new rules introduced last autumn brought in a number of changes and clarifications. The main one about three caps and age 21 etc is posted a few posts up. But that's not the one that relates to Johansson. There was another change that clarified that if a player has played underage competitively for one country and wants to change to another, he no longer needs to have been a citizen of the new country at the time he played for the old country. This is the change that makes him eligible for us again.

There is one other caveat though - you can only make one switch. It had been reported that Johansson had decided to switch to a third country, Sweden. If that paperwork had gone through he would be ineligible for us as he had used his switch and couldn't switch again. However, according to the man himself this week, he hasn't actually switched to Sweden. If that is correct he can still play for us.

Hopefully he has since gone and gotten his Irish passport, as the Foreign birth register process is lengthy, especially at the moment with Covid and Brexit. If he has done, things would hopefully be relatively straightforward if he wants to switch to us and hopefully the FAI would help with the paperwork to FIFA. If he hasn't done the foreign birth register process yet he won't be playing under 21 for us I think, because it will take too long to get all the paperwork sorted.

Having said all that, while he does appear to be eligible under the new rules, he also needs to actually want to declare for us. It sounded from the interview he gave that he was still open to all three countries at this point. He probably needs to make that decision first of all.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 10:04am

You don’t need to be an Irish citizen to be eligible to play for Ireland. He was eligible when he played for Luxembourg because his maternal grandparents are Irish (I believe, that might be an assumption, but it’s highly likely that they are). His mother is Irish, but was born in England.

I’ll say it’s possibly complicated by the fact he’s played for 3 teams not 2. Hopefully we win out. Been over 2 years since he played for anyone at any level
You do need to be a citizen to play for Ireland and he wasn't at the time of his official Luxembourg youth caps. Which rendered him ineligible for Ireland as declared by FIFA. That is literally the reason he was deemed ineligible in the first place. 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 10:09am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Just to clear this up - he thought he was eligible for Ireland previously as his mother (and grandparents on his mother's side) were Irish. However, it turned out his mother was born in England.

It was still thought that he was ok through the grandparents but the Luxembourg FA picked up on wording in the regulations that said that he had to be an Irish citizen when he played competitively for Luxembourg. If his mother had been born in Ireland he would have automatically been an Irish citizen, but she wasn't and he hadn't gone through the foreign birth register process via his grandparents at that stage, so he wasn't actually an Irish citizen when he played competitively for Luxembourg. This made him ineligible for us once he took the competitive caps for Luxembourg.

The new rules introduced last autumn brought in a number of changes and clarifications. The main one about three caps and age 21 etc is posted a few posts up. But that's not the one that relates to Johansson. There was another change that clarified that if a player has played underage competitively for one country and wants to change to another, he no longer needs to have been a citizen of the new country at the time he played for the old country. This is the change that makes him eligible for us again.

There is one other caveat though - you can only make one switch. It had been reported that Johansson had decided to switch to a third country, Sweden. If that paperwork had gone through he would be ineligible for us as he had used his switch and couldn't switch again. However, according to the man himself this week, he hasn't actually switched to Sweden. If that is correct he can still play for us.

Hopefully he has since gone and gotten his Irish passport, as the Foreign birth register process is lengthy, especially at the moment with Covid and Brexit. If he has done, things would hopefully be relatively straightforward if he wants to switch to us and hopefully the FAI would help with the paperwork to FIFA. If he hasn't done the foreign birth register process yet he won't be playing under 21 for us I think, because it will take too long to get all the paperwork sorted.

Having said all that, while he does appear to be eligible under the new rules, he also needs to actually want to declare for us. It sounded from the interview he gave that he was still open to all three countries at this point. He probably needs to make that decision first of all.
Do you have an actual quote for the bolded or where in the new laws it states that? I've yet to actually find where it says that anywhere. 

A former Brazilian youth player has recently expressed interest in playing for Canada but like Johansson, he wasn't a Canadian citizen at the time of his official Brazil youth caps which would render him ineligible unless the rules regarding this specific point have been changed. I just can't find anywhere that mentions this area when talking of the law changes. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 10:31am
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/gv5axxtvu2aydszqfiw6.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj7tJ3C7InvAhWRN8AKHWByBfgQFjAAegQIBBAD&usg=AOvVaw37R-gW2wJTvHJkziJ58jfT

This is the relevant document. Johansson now qualifies under Article 9, Section 2, Subsection b.

With regard to the additional requirements set out in part iv of subsection b, he qualifies under Article 7, Section 1, Subsection c (grandparent born in Ireland).

I realise that's a very technical answer written in legalese, but that's the answer.

Edited by You Tell Me - 27 Feb 2021 at 10:36am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 346347348349350 451>
  Share Topic