You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 335336337338339 452>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Surely he can automate most of it? I'm sure the website you run tetsujin is a few managed API calls, no? 

A few python shell scripts deployed on some ec2s or lambda. All the libraries to push to twitter are already there.
No, it's all self contained. No external API calls.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Sponsored Links

Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by IrishKeano IrishKeano wrote:

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Originally posted by Dr. Pat Dr. Pat wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

John-Joe Finn traveling with the Getafe squad again today. Could end up on the bench.

Not much media coverage, but the FAI is aware according to Kenny’s Kids at least

Made his La Liga debut.

Thats an incredible achievement for him, you've got to be technically good to play in la liga and for such a young lad...

Do we know anything more about him? I believe he's a forward? Do we know where he is in terms of playing for ireland.

You'd hope someone in the FAI has reached out 

On off the ball yesterday, Johnny Ward said Finn hadn't been deemed good enough to be part of an underage training camp not long ago. This suggests he has been on the FAI's. 

Appearing in La Liga at 17 is a great sign.

Is Mr. Snrub able to cast any light on the FAI position?

Haven't heard anything LOL

Any news on the Bamford meeting mate??

I was only in your man's gaff last night, there has been no update yet. Don't think it's going to happen tbh. Bamford will get his token England cap and that will be that 
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Boondock View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boondock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 9:39am

Originally posted by IrishKeano IrishKeano wrote:

Originally posted by Dr. Pat Dr. Pat wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

John-Joe Finn traveling with the Getafe squad again today. Could end up on the bench.

Not much media coverage, but the FAI is aware according to Kenny’s Kids at least

Made his La Liga debut.

Thats an incredible achievement for him, you've got to be technically good to play in la liga and for such a young lad...

Do we know anything more about him? I believe he's a forward? Do we know where he is in terms of playing for ireland.

You'd hope someone in the FAI has reached out 

On off the ball yesterday, Johnny Ward said Finn hadn't been deemed good enough to be part of an underage training camp not long ago. This suggests he has been on the FAI's. 

Appearing in La Liga at 17 is a great sign.

Is Mr. Snrub able to cast any light on the FAI position?

Haven't heard anything LOL

Any news on the Bamford meeting mate??

I was only in your man's gaff last night, there has been no update yet. Don't think it's going to happen tbh. Bamford will get his token England cap and that will be that 

Southgate will cap him just to nail him down. Did the same with Redmond when McCarthy came sniffing. How many caps has Redmond had since LOL
Southgate good at doing what previous Ireland managers should have done. Southgate does it even with their large pool of talent and we with our measly pool of players didnt Clap
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 4:58pm
Disappointing that there's no reasonable premier league or championship players that could come into the fold for ireland. Up front and midfield are currently a makeshift group of early potential and a few never will bes.

Bamford would improve the team but even if he joined up now the lack of commitment is there to see.

Liam Delap can't be beyond possibility and would be a really good addition but again more potential...

Really need to see some upside to the rule changes.

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 5:50pm

Disappointing that there's no reasonable premier league or championship players that could come into the fold for ireland. Up front and midfield are currently a makeshift group of early potential and a few never will bes.

Bamford would improve the team but even if he joined up now the lack of commitment is there to see.

Liam Delap can't be beyond possibility and would be a really good addition but again more potential...

Really need to see some upside to the rule changes.

Positive and negative, I suppose. Apart from Delap and Lord Bamford, the best prospects are already within our system. 

A player like Joe Hodge is within our system and could be a very good player in a couple of years. Like with Foden, things can happen very quickly when they get a chance. Same with Jack Taylor, Conor Ronan, or Conor Coventry. If they get promoted or have a chance with the first team, they could very quickly become good options for us. But all we have right now is potential. We don’t have a nailed on quality option who is playing at the very highest level, although Jason Knight and Molumby have the best chance at this point.

Players who have ability, are eligible, and could potentially find themselves playing at the highest level?
Marcus McGuane
Dan Crowley
Callum O’Hare
Ben Wilmot
Marcus Harness
John Joe Finn (no idea how good he is)

Outside of those were looking at somebody to appear from nowhere like Ciaran Clark or Cyrus Christie

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 6:50pm
Are the first four named above definitely eligible ?
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Are the first four named above definitely eligible ?

Ben Wilmot admitted he was in the process of declaring for Ireland because he thought he was too sh*te to play for England but changed his mind after he was called up by England U-19 team.

“At Stevenage I was looking at playing for the Republic of Ireland as my Nan was born in Dublin.

“I didn’t think England would happen for me, and the I got the call for under-19s just as they were getting the paperwork ready. I felt ready but my greater allegiance was to England.

“It took me time to get to grips with it as there were some big names in that team, and going into that off the back of a few League Two games was scary.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 6:59pm
I don't think Daniel Crowley is ever going to be good enough at Intl level. His record in terms of goals and assists is abysmal and he hasn't made the match day squad for Birmingham in months.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 7:06pm
when you see where we are now it’s clear we have to change our philosophy around granny rulers.losing grealish will go down as one of our biggest mistakes in relation to this rule.
We need to be selfish about it and cap them young and take decisions out of lads heads.
But it is much easier for the likes of England to turn players head.
And at the moment they can’t be much worse than what’s available to us. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

when you see where we are now it’s clear we have to change our philosophy around granny rulers.losing grealish will go down as one of our biggest mistakes in relation to this rule.
We need to be selfish about it and cap them young and take decisions out of lads heads.

Unless I'm mistaken, Rice pulled out of the first meaningful competitive squad he was named in. He was named in a squad for a game with Moldova in 2016 but he knew, and the manager knew, that he was never going to get on the pitch in a million years when he hadn't even played a senior game for West Ham at that stage. It's no coincidence he never accepted a single competitive call up once he started playing in the PL for West Ham. Grealish pulled out of the first senior squad he was named in. Bamford, Crowley and Ronan are the highest profile of eligible players who've switched sides at underage level after England showed interest - the latter two only asserting their commitment to us once they started struggling at senior level for various clubs, while Bamford is quite satisfied to wait for England or not at all.

It's a nonsensical idea to start using one of three substitutions in a competitive game to cap a Dag & Red player on the off chance he will turn out good enough. How do you think other players would react to stuff like that - do you think it would honestly help further endear Stephen Kenny to the players if they're already on the fence re: him?

If Joe Hodge is as highly rated at City as he's supposed to be and was called up for a competitive game in March, a) I'm highly skeptical he would accept a call-up to begin with unless it was to train with the players for the experience, and b) he would not be a willing pawn in a scheme to bring him on in the 6th minute of second half stoppage time when we're beating Luxembourg 3-0 so we can cynically prevent him from playing for another team.

Players have agency in this; especially players who play for Man City.

Another thing is we can't even score against teams like Gibraltar. So it's pointless contemplating a scenario we're we could be in a position to make a cynical substitution like this.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 10 Dec 2020 at 7:28pm
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 7:30pm
crowley wilmot bamford redmond and so on would all be of very good use, if they accepted a call up and gave their all any sensible fan would be happy with that. here's hoping kenny will try to get a few on board, we would be a better team for it and it is always a nice thing to see the diaspora represented in our team, as we are of course a country with huge cultural heritage in our people that have spread across the world

Edited by Four-Four-Two - 10 Dec 2020 at 7:31pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 7:47pm
Marcus McGuane isn't eligible for us anymore.

Crowley doesn't seem to fit into Karanka's game plan at Birmingham so not getting any games at the moment.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 8:30pm

Yes , yes we should,  like maybe try and put in a system that develops players ourselves ???

No fuking way should we be capping players just to tie them to us

Edited by Newryrep - 10 Dec 2020 at 8:31pm
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Crowley doesn't seem to fit into Karanka's game plan at Birmingham so not getting any games at the moment.

Does the new rule changes that were made in September make any difference to his eligibility, or is he still unavailable. Either way he's a squad player for Oxford, who are fourth from bottom in league one, even Jack Taylor would be ahead of him. If he was eligible for us would he even start for our U21s?
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Yes , yes we should,  like maybe try and put in a system that develops players ourselves ???

And why not some of them are already in our systems anyway just need to get them on board before it’s too late.
It’s clear our systems in place will only get us so far we have a limited playing pool.
Why not use every avenue that’s open to us there is nothing illegal in what we are doing.

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, Rice pulled out of the first meaningful competitive squad he was named in. He was named in a squad for a game with Moldova in 2016 but he knew, and the manager knew, that he was never going to get on the pitch in a million years when he hadn't even played a senior game for West Ham at that stage. It's no coincidence he never accepted a single competitive call up once he started playing in the PL for West Ham. Grealish pulled out of the first senior squad he was named in. Bamford, Crowley and Ronan are the highest profile of eligible players who've switched sides at underage level after England showed interest - the latter two only asserting their commitment to us once they started struggling at senior level for various clubs, while Bamford is quite satisfied to wait for England or not at all.

It's a nonsensical idea to start using one of three substitutions in a competitive game to cap a Dag & Red player on the off chance he will turn out good enough. How do you think other players would react to stuff like that - do you think it would honestly help further endear Stephen Kenny to the players if they're already on the fence re: him?

If Joe Hodge is as highly rated at City as he's supposed to be and was called up for a competitive game in March, a) I'm highly skeptical he would accept a call-up to begin with unless it was to train with the players for the experience, and b) he would not be a willing pawn in a scheme to bring him on in the 6th minute of second half stoppage time when we're beating Luxembourg 3-0 so we can cynically prevent him from playing for another team.

Players have agency in this; especially players who play for Man City.

Another thing is we can't even score against teams like Gibraltar. So it's pointless contemplating a scenario we're we could be in a position to make a cynical substitution like this.
With regards Rice we had the opportunity and didn’t take it.
Grealish I can’t actually ever remember him being named in a squad could be wrong.
Even before that he should have been called up he was out on loan from a premier league club playing regularly and was the stand out player of his under age team nothing to be lost in getting him on for 2 minutes.
It’s not as if we ever have a star studded bench and really what difference does a sub coming on for two minutes make.
Clearly in the long run it would be worth the gamble.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Does the new rule changes that were made in September make any difference to his eligibility, or is he still unavailable. Either way he's a squad player for Oxford, who are fourth from bottom in league one, even Jack Taylor would be ahead of him. If he was eligible for us would he even start for our U21s?

Speaking of Oxford, Mark Sykes didn't make the match day squad for Oxford's last league game. Don't know if he was injured but he's started just 6 times this season in any regard. Doesn't augur well.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 9:37pm

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

And why not some of them are already in our systems anyway just need to get them on board before it’s too late.
It’s clear our systems in place will only get us so far we have a limited playing pool.
Why not use every avenue that’s open to us there is nothing illegal in what we are doing.

Because our country is better than that - that being dishing out caps just to tie people to us , if people want to play for us and are eligible great  - welcome aboard , if they don't then - move on

I would hate to see us trying to tie down dual nationals just for the sake of it , its not right whether its legal or not
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 335336337338339 452>
  Share Topic