You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 330331332333334 452>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 2:20pm
If true, it's a good thing for Kenny to do.
Assess the player himself and make him know the situation and move on.
If the player is interested then great, if not, move on.
Stop any ongoing speculation.
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 2:39pm
For all intents and purposes Bramford has put any ongoing speculation to bed already.

1. He said he's looking for the possibility of an England cap 
2. He could just put himself forward for ireland and be in the senior squad straight away 

My feeling is he would rather have 2 or 3 england caps than 50 ireland caps. 

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 3:57pm
No..... just no
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 4:05pm
It's frustrating enough watching Bamford as a Leeds fan, not sure I could handle watching him in an Irish shirt also..........generally needs 5 good chances to score 1 goal ............I don't see where 5 good chances come from playing for Ireland, in the short medium to long term
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

It's frustrating enough watching Bamford as a Leeds fan, not sure I could handle watching him in an Irish shirt also..........generally needs 5 good chances to score 1 goal ............I don't see where 5 good chances come from playing for Ireland, in the short medium to long term

7 goals in 8 Premier League games so far this season. 

We are in dire need of any half decent striker. The young lads Idah, Parrott, Connolly & Obafemi haven't kicked on at all this season. Sign him up!

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 09 Nov 2020 at 4:20pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 4:49pm
Yep, we had Connolly and Obafemi hopefully getting PL games.
Obafemi has fallen down a hole while Connolly is just clinging on.

Idah and Parrott in the 2nd tier are doing close to nothing.  Idah getting no more gametime after dropping a division is disappointing.
Parrott unproven due to injury so has a chance now to make an impression.  After all the talk on the lad, he's yet to really play any men's football.  

We have lads getting time and goals lower again but that's not much use to us.
Scully and Cassidy in the 3rd tier and Afolabi in the Scottish 2nd.
Kayode in the 4th tier...

Lets hope we're in the darkness before the dawn.

IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 4:55pm

Aye, better off just sticking with McGoldrick. His stellar 5% conversion rate in the league last season isn’t to be sniffed at. Who wants to watch 4 misses when you can see 19. 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

His mother is Irish im surprised he hasnt jumped on board, he hasnt a hope of ever getting more than 1 or 2 token caps for England you woupd think Southgate would let him know instead of retiring him by telling him he has a chance.

How do you know that that wouldn't be enough?

I once spoke to Danny Murphy and he mentioned that he and his Da were very proud of his Irish roots etc, and he knows he might have got 50+ caps for ROI had he switched. But the fact is, it was only ever going to be England for him and he was entirely satisfied with 8 England caps.

For myself, I have two grandparents from the Free State, so qualify "properly"  Wink for ROI. But if you offered me 5 minutes off the bench for NI in a 5-0 drubbing, versus 100 ROI caps and automatic qualification for World Cups etc, I know which I'd choose every time.

(It's the former, in case anyone is in any doubt.)

Edited by Territorial - 09 Nov 2020 at 4:59pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

7 goals in 8 Premier League games so far this season.

There was an interesting speculation in one of the papers a couple of weeks back (i.e. when he was only on 3 or 4 goals) which might give a clue to Bamford's current form.

The writer wondered whether Bamford wasn't one of those players who had it all to be a top player, but couldn't produce it on the pitch when the pressure was on. Whereas this season he was thriving because there are no crowds, so no immediate expectation.

One example quoted was Eoin Jess, who Gordon Strachan reclkoned could appear world class in training when he had him at Coventry, but could never show it in a game. And if you look at his CV, he was twice Young POTY in Scotland with Aberdeen, but was never much more than a journeyman when he moved down to England:
https://hen.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eoin_Jess

[
We are in dire need of any half decent striker. The young lads Idah, Parrott, Connolly & Obafemi haven't kicked on at all this season. Sign him up!

I saw Leeds play live last season, in a game which they drew. But they were absolutely brilliant and would surely have won by 2 or 3 had it not been for Casilla and Bamford - two duds in an otherwise excellent team.

But even then, I reckon the "2019/20 Bamford" would still be an improvement on your present options (no offemce).
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 5:55pm

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

[QUOTE=Mr. Snrub]Stephen Kenny is meeting Patrick Bamford on Monday. Inside source, fingers crossed he comes on board.

We are in desperate need of a decent striker and I don't care if he previously turned us down (something he refutes anyway). 
[/QUOTE

Let us know if you get any info on the meeting Mr.Snrub?

Where you getting this Mr.Snrub?

I have an extremely good source in the FAI who let us know about the Covid situation hours before the Slovakia game. Look, you don't have to believe me but one of my mates knows someone in the association.

Wasn;t questioning the validity of your info.  I googled it and nothing came up.  Yep bang on about the Covid so happy to believe your source.  I would bet a million quid Bamford will not declare for The EIRE.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 6:11pm
bamford is a lot like hogan, scores in fits and starts. he has gone on runs like this many times before, so far they have not continued beyond a couple of months
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 6:19pm
I wouldn't compare the two. Hogan has been on one run (Christmas until  Covid outbreak) since he left Brentford in 2017. 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

His mother is Irish im surprised he hasnt jumped on board, he hasnt a hope of ever getting more than 1 or 2 token caps for England you woupd think Southgate would let him know instead of retiring him by telling him he has a chance.

How do you know that that wouldn't be enough?

I once spoke to Danny Murphy and he mentioned that he and his Da were very proud of his Irish roots etc, and he knows he might have got 50+ caps for ROI had he switched. But the fact is, it was only ever going to be England for him and he was entirely satisfied with 8 England caps.

For myself, I have two grandparents from the Free State, so qualify "properly"  Wink for ROI. But if you offered me 5 minutes off the bench for NI in a 5-0 drubbing, versus 100 ROI caps and automatic qualification for World Cups etc, I know which I'd choose every time.

(It's the former, in case anyone is in any doubt.)

Mark Noble was the same.

His uncle was in my local gym and he has mentioned before the possibility of declaring for us, it was a non runner.

Whilst others would happy play for us to further their careers.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I wouldn't compare the two. Hogan has been on one run (Christmas until  Covid outbreak) since he left Brentford in 2017. 

not very dissimilar to bamford, had a good run at middlesborough to move to leeds, and then this is his first big streak for them. different style of player, but not very different in terms of goalscoring ability
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 7:23pm

[QUOTE=Mr. Snrub]Stephen Kenny is meeting Patrick Bamford on Monday. Inside source, fingers crossed he comes on board.

We are in desperate need of a decent striker and I don't care if he previously turned us down (something he refutes anyway). 
[/QUOTE

I have an extremely good source in the FAI who let us know about the Covid situation hours before the Slovakia game. Look, you don't have to believe me but one of my mates knows someone in the association.

Wasn;t questioning the validity of your info.  I googled it and nothing came up.  Yep bang on about the Covid so happy to believe your source.  I would bet a million quid Bamford will not declare for The EIRE.

That's fair enough TJ, I'm not confident of him declaring for us either. I'm still waiting to hear back regarding how the meeting went. Would be some coup if he plays for us
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 7:40pm

[/QUOTE

That's fair enough TJ, I'm not confident of him declaring for us either. I'm still waiting to hear back regarding how the meeting went. Would be some coup if he plays for us
Some coup? It’s bamford not batistuta!
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 8:10pm
He's far better than anything we have already. Ronan Curtis & James Collins ffs LOL
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 8:17pm

He's far better than anything we have already. Ronan Curtis & James Collins ffs LOL

7 goals in 8 games not to be sniffed at. Obafemi, Long, Idah and Connolly got a combined 8 goals in 83 pl games last season.

Edited by PaddyDaCulchie - 09 Nov 2020 at 8:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 330331332333334 452>
  Share Topic