You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 323324325326327 452>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Obafemi is treated in a similar vein.

The prevalent attitude on here that Irish-born black players have to do more to prove their commitment to Ireland and should be viewed with certain amount of suspicion ought to trouble us all.

when first gen kids born in Ireland don’t automatically qualify for citizenship, it is an inevitable problem.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

So your "objective view of reality" is to make an assumption based on no concrete evidence whatsoever? If he's made himself unavailable for Ireland then why has he made not made himself available for England or Nigeria instead?
errr let me see:- A)Keeping options open
                         B) Probably not good enough to get in England youth squad
There is no logical reason he would not be getting picked for our youth team squads therefore the logical assumption would be he is , currently at least, not interested. A lot more convincing than your argument he isn't considered worth a place in the squad. 
Try work on your insecurity issues, it'll help you cope better when you have to confront real life Thumbs Up
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 11:59pm

So your "objective view of reality" is to make an assumption based on no concrete evidence whatsoever? If he's made himself unavailable for Ireland then why has he made not made himself available for England or Nigeria instead?
There is no logical reason he would not be getting picked for our youth team squads therefore the logical assumption would be he is , currently at least, not interested. A lot more convincing than your argument he isn't considered worth a place in the squad. 
Try work on your insecurity issues, it'll help you cope better when you have to confront real life Thumbs Up

Keeping his options open in what sense? He can't be tied to us by playing at that level, so why would he refuse to play for Ireland and simultaneously not make himself available for England/Nigeria which you are insinuating is his clear preference? In what way is that "insecure", it's merely pointing out that your "logic" makes zero sense LOL
We're decent enough..
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 12:10am

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

In the topic of deji Sotona anyone know why he hasn’t been involved underage with Ireland recently 
No idea.
Hopefully we dont lose him.

Because there have been other options ahead of him I'd imagine. We're fairly flush with strikers throughout our underage levels. Nothing to suggest he's going anywhere other than the fact he's of Nigerian heritage.
He isn’t a striker, he’s a winger. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 1:08am
He played on the left wing a bit for United last season, he's played the vast majority of his football as a striker. 
We're decent enough..
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 9:49am

He played on the left wing a bit for United last season, he's played the vast majority of his football as a striker. 
He’s played on the left wing “a bit” at united for 3-4 years now. Nice have also just described him as a winger and he also says himself he’s a winger. So... he is in fact a winger. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 9:55am
Looking at the schedules, there'll be no opportunity to see any of these youth players for quite some time in an Ireland jersey.
As I understand it, because we are out of the U19 comp, we won't have any competitive U19 matches until next Autumn.

U17 returns in March so that's something.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 10:02am
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

He’s played on the left wing “a bit” at united for 3-4 years now. Nice have also just described him as a winger and he also says himself he’s a winger. So... he is in fact a winger. 

I suppose that's why he has often played as no. 9, straight down the middle for United? He's clearly listed as a striker/winger. I'd suggest you stick to your area of expertise such as why Jonathan David is set to be a future recipient of the Ballon d'or Thumbs Up
We're decent enough..
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 12:27pm

Keeping his options open in what sense? He can't be tied to us by playing at that level, so why would he refuse to play for Ireland and simultaneously not make himself available for England/Nigeria which you are insinuating is his clear preference? In what way is that "insecure", it's merely pointing out that your "logic" makes zero sense LOL
It would delay and complicate the issue if he did intend to represent someone else. I don't know what his preference is, merely that he is apparently not interested in representing Ireland at this point or else he would have done so in the last three years wouldn't he unless you are still backing the far fetched 'not good enough to ever get in our squad' line of reasoning which is stretching reality even within your limited green blinkered perception of it LOL LOL
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

I wouldn’t even bother arguing with him, he can never admit when he’s wrong.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 1:14pm
Why would you admit you're wrong when you're not not wrong? What a nonsense comment.
We're decent enough..
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 1:31pm
One thing I will say is that Nice called the lad Irish. I am sure that can give us all a clue where things are most likely to head if he does reach the standard.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 1:32pm
He started off as a winger but transitioned to striker in the last year or so. Honestly, does it matter? In the last decade there have been plenty of wide examples of strikers as wide players and vice versa. 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 1:39pm

It would delay and complicate the issue if he did intend to represent someone else. I don't know what his preference is, merely that he is apparently not interested in representing Ireland at this point or else he would have done so in the last three years wouldn't he unless you are still backing the far fetched 'not good enough to ever get in our squad' line of reasoning which is stretching reality even within your limited green blinkered perception of it LOL LOL

Explain how it would "delay and complicate" the process to represent Ireland now when he has already represented Ireland in the past? 

And what does "interest" have to do with it? Sotona could be as "interested" in representing Ireland as anyone else, but at the end of the day he doesn't pick the squads. More spurious reasoning.

Edited by The O'Shea - 02 Oct 2020 at 1:48pm
We're decent enough..
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 1:40pm

Why would you admit you're wrong when you're not not wrong? What a nonsense comment.

Well he hasn’t played the vast majority of his football as a striker so you are wrong.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Well he hasn’t played the vast majority of his football as a striker so you are wrong.

Except he has, so I am not. I called Sotona a striker, he has played much of his football as a striker. I'm not seeing much issue here other than the usual suspects being catty about whatever I post.
We're decent enough..
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 1:51pm
FFS lads give it a rest
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 1:58pm
Are you sure he isn't really a full back?
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 323324325326327 452>
  Share Topic