You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 320321322323324 452>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Jesus christ I would declare for f*ck*n Gibraltar listening to some of this sh*te.

Johansen was a specific case mentioned by Kenny. Lads like Dan Crowley  and Bamford were also mentiined.

Kenny also mentioned that alot of players we thought were clearly eligibilr were not actually eligible. Would i ignore that kind of talent being available to us again.. no def not.

Maybe Delap is about to change and did not actually have citizenship before he played. 

Not sure Delaps eligibility has changed seeing as Callum Robinson played for England at various age groups up to u20 and still played for us. I seriously doubt he had irish citizenship before then.

Would be interesting to find out which players Kenny was referencing...
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 10:01pm
Robinson was an oversight. The nationality issue only came to light when the Luxembourg FA raised it regarding the Johansson switch. By then Robinson had already switched even though he hadn't actually been eligible to in terms of the letter of the laws.

It's only in the last two weeks that he has actually become eligible to play for us in terms of the regulations due to the new rule changes.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Jesus christ I would declare for f*ck*n Gibraltar listening to some of this sh*te.

Johansen was a specific case mentioned by Kenny. Lads like Dan Crowley  and Bamford were also mentiined.

Kenny also mentioned that alot of players we thought were clearly eligibilr were not actually eligible. Would i ignore that kind of talent being available to us again.. no def not.

Maybe Delap is about to change and did not actually have citizenship before he played. 

It's 323 pages of people asking are lads like Andy Lonergan, CJ Hamilton and Joe Garner eligible, and only now you're realising "it's sh*te"?

I actually like the chat about potentially eligible players, it has its place. You and ya man O'Shea arguing about Duffus and co across multiple threads is like being trapped in a caravan with Father Noal Furlong though LOL
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Robinson was an oversight. The nationality issue only came to light when the Luxembourg FA raised it regarding the Johansson switch. By then Robinson had already switched even though he hadn't actually been eligible to in terms of the letter of the laws.

It's only in the last two weeks that he has actually become eligible to play for us in terms of the regulations due to the new rule changes.

Yes, I've looked at the new law, and that's what it would seem to imply...

So, are we sure now that this oddity in the FIFA eligibility law has been addressed now? (i.e.: formal - as opposed to entitlement to - citizenship was required before getting capped by other country; and the specific case of the Foreign Births Register issue for Ireland)?

I.e.: are we sure that - on the law as it now applies since two weeks ago - Ryan Johansson and Dan Crowley and the presumably many others that fall into that boat are now eligible?   

Presumably that will mean Johansson will be eligible for us now again, so long as his papers to switch to Sweden have not been processed (if indeed he sought to lodge them)?
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 10:43pm
Yes we're sure, but there's one exception.

If a player turned out in a competitive game for another country after his 21st birthday at under 21 level, the foreign birth register thing comes back into play. So if say Liam Delap continued with England and played for their under 21s after his 21st birthday, he would then become ineligible for us unless he had already obtained his Irish citizenship before his first competitive England appearance at Under 17 level. 

But for any granny rule kid playing for England or anyone else there's no problem for us claiming them as long as they stop playing underage forthe other country before their 21st birthday.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Yes, I've looked at the new law, and that's what it would seem to imply...

So, are we sure now that this oddity in the FIFA eligibility law has been addressed now? (i.e.: formal - as opposed to entitlement to - citizenship was required before getting capped by other country; and the specific case of the Foreign Births Register issue for Ireland)?

I.e.: are we sure that - on the law as it now applies since two weeks ago - Ryan Johansson and Dan Crowley and the presumably many others that fall into that boat are now eligible?   

Presumably that will mean Johansson will be eligible for us now again, so long as his papers to switch to Sweden have not been processed (if indeed he sought to lodge them)?

Surely it can be argued that those can be rescinded based on new rulings even if they are processed?

From what I gather the new ruling make all of them eligible again and the rules are far more liquid now especially for underage players.

Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 10:45pm
_

Edited by Nialler - 29 Sep 2020 at 10:45pm
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 12:17am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

SK mentioned him by name but seemed careful not to name others so maybe Johanson didn't formalise the Swedish papers. 

It could also have been the hold up in the Bamford thing, was around the same time. 

Anyway, SK suggested several cases being reviewed  / progressed. So expect a few recruits of various shades of green I'd say.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 12:34am
Max O'Leary, goalkeeper eligible for Ireland through a grandparent from Kerry, has signed a new three year contract with Bristol City.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 12:47am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Max O'Leary, goalkeeper eligible for Ireland through a grandparent from Kerry, has signed a new three year contract with Bristol City.

Wasn't he in a squad already   ?  One of Micks round ups
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 1:08am
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

That was Travers.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 1:13am
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

That was Travers.

Was it   ?  Thought he was called up with Talbot when Travers was injured  ? 
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 1:16am

Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

That was Travers.

Was it   ?  Thought he was called up with Talbot when Travers was injured  ? 

Apologies, you are correct. 

He was playing first team club football at the time?
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 2:04am
Think he played a bit for Bristol around that time but has been on loan again since. Seems to save the odd penalty. Anyway, three year deal they either see him as top dog or a capable back up who won't make too much noise. We'll see soon enough 
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 4:46am

Yes we're sure, but there's one exception.

If a player turned out in a competitive game for another country after his 21st birthday at under 21 level, the foreign birth register thing comes back into play. So if say Liam Delap continued with England and played for their under 21s after his 21st birthday, he would then become ineligible for us unless he had already obtained his Irish citizenship before his first competitive England appearance at Under 17 level. 

But for any granny rule kid playing for England or anyone else there's no problem for us claiming them as long as they stop playing underage forthe other country before their 21st birthday.

Thanks.

That's one fairly big exception though!  

Would rule out, by way of example, Patrick Bamford, who played for England U21 after his 21st birthday (against Portugal in Nov 2014).  Or, as you point out, Liam Delap (depending how his career pans out etc).  I imagine there are other examples. 

Ridiculous that this should be made so technical.  Should be - if you are entitled to Irish citizenship from birth, you're eligible.  Simple.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 10:05am
For the Bamford example, the game vs Portugal after his 21st birthday was a friendly. So I guess he still qualifies... although I've completely lost interest in the whole thing 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 5:56pm
Deji Sotona has signed for Nice.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Deji Sotona has signed for Nice.

That's an interesting move.
Fair play.
Pace to burn.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 320321322323324 452>
  Share Topic