Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 318319320321322 452>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Kenny says he is examining all players and obviously has been leaving no stone unturned. 

The question was put to him in the Slovakia squad presser. Does look like he will come back in for all these players. good news. PLaying pool is a huge problem for us. more is always better.

Is it, though?

If players like Bamford and Redmond want to play for us, great.

Lads like Smallbone and Hodge aren't ready yet but if they turn into excellent PL players and stick with Ireland, great.

If Delap has a reawakening that makes him feel more Irish than Brendan Behan, great.

If it means we end up with players like Will Keane declaring for us en masse, then it's not going to make a dent in our fortunes.

The vast majority of English born players who go with us won't take much persuasion. Lads like O'Dowda and Christie were pragmatic about their intl aspirations, went with us, and have about 50 caps between them already. That's who we're always going to get. Solid mid-table Championship pros.

You can argue about whether "more is better" or not, but it's certainly not any worse. It costs us nothing to get the likes of Will Keane registered for us, and in all likelihood we'll get no use of him, but in the off chance that he's ever required it will have been worth it. This is exactly what you seem not to recognise, there is no downside to enlarging your player pool, you don't have to pick them after they've declared but at least they're there and ready to go if you need them.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Kenny says he is examining all players and obviously has been leaving no stone unturned. 

The question was put to him in the Slovakia squad presser. Does look like he will come back in for all these players. good news. PLaying pool is a huge problem for us. more is always better.

Is it, though?

If players like Bamford and Redmond want to play for us, great.

Lads like Smallbone and Hodge aren't ready yet but if they turn into excellent PL players and stick with Ireland, great.

If Delap has a reawakening that makes him feel more Irish than Brendan Behan, great.

If it means we end up with players like Will Keane declaring for us en masse, then it's not going to make a dent in our fortunes.

The vast majority of English born players who go with us won't take much persuasion. Lads like O'Dowda and Christie were pragmatic about their intl aspirations, went with us, and have about 50 caps between them already. That's who we're always going to get. Solid mid-table Championship pros.

You can argue about whether "more is better" or not, but it's certainly not any worse. It costs us nothing to get the likes of Will Keane registered for us, and in all likelihood we'll get no use of him, but in the off chance that he's ever required it will have been worth it. This is exactly what you seem not to recognise, there is no downside to enlarging your player pool, you don't have to pick them after they've declared but at least they're there and ready to go if you need them.
I think that’s the nail on the head more can’t be worse.
It also creates more competition which is always good
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 5:51pm
While Bamford is a no for me, Redmond would really help fill that long-standing vacuum on the right wing. 

Also worth noting that Ogbene is putting together a good run of games for Rotherham in the championship playing right wing. Hopefully he’s doing well and becomes an option.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 5:59pm

The O'Shea when

Sorry lads for reopening old wounds and mods feel free to delete this post but this still gives me a chuckle. LOL

MEME of the year. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 6:12pm
The O'Shea when Will Keane declared for Ireland.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 29 Sep 2020 at 6:13pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 6:31pm

Ah you're milking it now. Know when to quit TongueWink
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 6:47pm

Don't get that at all, but if it makes you happy go for it. Clearly engaging in an actual fact-based discussion does not.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 7:07pm

Don't get that at all, but if it makes you happy go for it. Clearly engaging in an actual fact-based discussion does not.

Didn't you say Conor Hourihane was released by Sunderland when he wasn't or am I completely imagining it? You also said Courtney Duffus made senior appearances for Cheltenham, which he didn't. And you said Harry Arter was injured last season when in fact, as another poster promptly pointed out, he was actually suspended.

My point being, for someone who talks out of his arse a lot, you sure like to accuse other people of talking out of their arse.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 29 Sep 2020 at 7:13pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 7:20pm

Didn't you say Conor Hourihane was released by Sunderland when he wasn't or am I completely imagining it? You also said Courtney Duffus made senior appearances for Cheltenham, which he didn't. And you said Harry Arter was injured last season when in fact, as another pointer promptly pointed out, he was actually suspended.

My point being, for someone who talks out of his arse a lot, you sure like to accuse other people of talking out of their arse.

I'll bite; I said Hourihane was "rejected" by Sunderland in response to the claim that Arter was "rejected" by Bournemouth, to highlight the fallacy that a club allowing you to leave means you aren't good enough to play for Ireland.

You've flogged the Duffus horse so much it's embarrassing. Duffus started his career at Cheltenham before making his first senior appearances for Bury. It was a completely innocent mix up which you have repeatedly used to ignore the pertinent point, which was that Duffus had made senior appearances when he was first called up by Ireland.

The Arter one is the most ridiculous of all, a random post made over a year ago (before you even joined the forum?) which you have dug up and attempted to use repeatedly. Do you have any idea how sad that makes you look? If anything, all of your memes better describe your reaction to seeing any post I've made. You are absolutely obsessed with me, I'm living rent free in your head LOL
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 7:29pm

Didn't you say Conor Hourihane was released by Sunderland when he wasn't or am I completely imagining it? You also said Courtney Duffus made senior appearances for Cheltenham, which he didn't. And you said Harry Arter was injured last season when in fact, as another pointer promptly pointed out, he was actually suspended.

I'll bite; I said Hourihane was "rejected" by Sunderland in response to the claim that Arter was "rejected" by Bournemouth, to highlight the fallacy that a club allowing you to leave means you aren't good enough to play for Ireland.

You've flogged the Duffus horse so much it's embarrassing. Duffus started his career at Cheltenham before making his first senior appearances for Bury. It was a completely innocent mix up which you have repeatedly used to ignore the pertinent point, which was that Duffus had made senior appearances when he was first called up by Ireland.

The Arter one is the most ridiculous of all, a random post made over a year ago (before you even joined the forum?) which you have dug up and attempted to use repeatedly. Do you have any idea how sad that makes you look? If anything, all of your memes better describe your reaction to seeing any post I've made. You are absolutely obsessed with me, I'm living rent free in your head LOL

Hourihane was offered a new contract by Sunderland when he was a teenager and turned it down; he wasn't rejected. Arter was released by Bournemouth as a thirty-something, wasn't offered a contract by Cardiff, and wasn't offered a contract by Fulham when they were promoted [in fact, they didn't play him in the playoffs as another appearance would've triggered a clause requiring them to sign him].  The fact you would compare a 30 year old's situation to an 18 year old's situation in this kind of context is utterly bizarre even if you didn't get the basic facts wrong, as usual.

You implied that Duffus had played plenty of senior football when he had only played a combined total of less than 90 minutes of it. You also got the team he played for wrong, yet you still went forward haphazardly with the, stupid, point you were making.

I brought up the lie you spouted on the Arter thread because I notice that you fly off the handle when anyone [mainly pre Madonna] criticises him and I find your meltdowns highly amusing.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 29 Sep 2020 at 7:31pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 7:36pm
I can't help but feel that one person is taking this more seriously than the other...LOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 7:37pm

Hourihane was offered a new contract by Sunderland when he was a teenager; he wasn't rejected. Arter was released by Bournemouth as a thirty-something, wasn't offered a contract by Cardiff, and wasn't offered a contract by Fulham when they were promoted [in fact, they didn't play him in the playoffs as another appearance would've triggered a clause requiring them to sign him].  The fact you would compare a 30 year old's situation to an 18 year old's situation in this kind of context is utterly bizarre even if you didn't get the basic facts wrong, as usual.

You implied that Duffus had played plenty of senior football when he had only played a combined total of less than 90 minutes of it. You also got the team he played for wrong, yet you still went forward haphazardly with the, stupid, point you were making.

I brought up the lie you spouted on the Arter thread because I notice that you fly off the handle when anyone [mainly pre Madonna] criticises him and I find your meltdowns highly amusing.

Your lack of basic comprehension astounds me; the point is not age/situation etc, the point is that being let go by a club (as many great players have been) implies nothing about your actual ability. Arter played for Bournemouth for 10 years before being SOLD to a Championship team who were one of the favourites to go up this year. Hourihane left Sunderland (having made no appearances) to join Ipswich (where he went on to make no appearances) before eventually having to join an L2 team. Using Baldrick's logic, BOTH of these players should be considered hopeless cases and ignored by Ireland, but clearly that is not an optimal strategy, as both are clearly good enough to play for Ireland despite having been rejected/allowed to leave/released/sold etc etc by clubs in their career.

So do you disagree with that basic point, or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 7:55pm
I would say he keeps arguing because your responses are entertaining and I encourage him to continue!LOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 8:01pm
He says Conor Hourihane was rejected by Sunderland and when I point out it's incorrect, he moves the goalposts. LOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 8:12pm

He says Conor Hourihane was rejected by Sunderland and when I point out it's incorrect, he moves the goalposts. LOL

He never made an appearance for them and was allowed to leave, if they'd really wanted to keep him they could have. But again, you completely ignore the point because your are unable to argue it. All you are capable of is repetitive, snarky soundbites. 

So I'll repeat for you, do you concur with the logic that being allowed to leave a club (as has happened to Hourihane in his career) immediately makes you unworthy of Ireland consideration? If you think this logic is nonsense, then you actually agree with me and are just arguing for the sake of argument.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 8:14pm

He never made an appearance for them and was allowed to leave, if they'd really wanted to keep him they could have. But again, you completely ignore the point because your are unable to argue it. All you are capable of is repetitive, snarky soundbites. 

So I'll repeat for you, do you concur with the logic that being allowed to leave a club (as has happened to Hourihane in his career) immediately makes you unworthy of Ireland consideration? If you think this logic is nonsense, then you actually agree with me and are just arguing for the sake of argument.

They offered him a new deal and he rejected it. I'm amazed you manage to find a way to turn this into him being rejected.

I agree with you. Conor Hourihane is a failure for not making any appearances as an 18 year old with Sunderland when they were in the Premier League.

Happy?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 8:20pm

They offered him a new deal and he rejected it. I'm amazed you manage to find a way to turn this into him being rejected.

I agree with you. Conor Hourihane is a failure for not making any appearances as an 18 year old with Sunderland when they were in the Premier League.

Happy?

Yet again you display your complete lack of basic comprehension. I truly hope you are doing it on purpose, but unfortunately I suspect that you genuinely are so dim that you believe that is what I'm saying. Goodnight and goodluck, hopefully your English teacher can help you with your issue when you head to school tomorrow Embarrassed
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 8:23pm

Happy?

Yet again you display your complete lack of basic comprehension. I truly hope you are doing it on purpose, but unfortunately I suspect that you genuinely are so dim that you believe that is what I'm saying. Goodnight and goodluck, hopefully your English teacher can help you with your issue when you head to school tomorrow Embarrassed

Funny that a lad who says Conor Hourihane was rejected by Sunderland when he wasn't accuses me of lacking comprehension when I politely point out his mistake.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 318319320321322 452>
  Share Topic