Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 313314315316317 452>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Those pesky Taigs, promising the world to other Taigs only to send them down the river! LOL
"And your point is, Caller?"

I'm agreeing with your conspiracy theory that the FAI is a covert kidnapping ring designed only to lure vulnerable young Fenians away from the warm, loving embrace of the IFA of course. Sure how else could young Mr. Brown's comments be interpreted, a bright young lad who was promised the world only to have his dreams snatched away from him by themmuns down South!

Edited by The O'Shea - 23 Sep 2020 at 12:07am
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 12:11am

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Those pesky Taigs, promising the world to other Taigs only to send them down the river! LOL
"And your point is, Caller?"

I'm agreeing with your conspiracy theory that the FAI is a covert kidnapping ring designed only to lure vulnerable young Fenians away from the warm, loving embrace of the IFA of course. Sure how else could young Mr. Brown's comments be interpreted, a bright young lad who was promised the world only to have his dreams snatched away from him by themmuns down South!

For a man who implies other people are racist for little or no reason, you sure are fond of using derogatory terms.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 12:29am
Yes, I reserve the right to refer to my fellow Irishmen (and Irishwomen!) as Taigs, Fenians, Paddies, or Micks whenever I so feel the need. *(I'll put a nice big sarcasm alert here for any of our resident slow learners Embarrassed)*
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 12:34am

Yes, I reserve the right to refer to my fellow Irishmen (and Irishwomen!) as Taigs, Fenians, Paddies, or Micks whenever I so feel the need. *(I'll put a nice big sarcasm alert here for any of our resident slow learners Embarrassed)*

Another fine contribution to the thread. Well done.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

NI will call up a granny rule player like Bailey Peacock-Farrell, Lee Camp or Maik Taylor rather than give a chance to someone who's third choice goalkeeper at Glentoran.

When BP-F was first called up by NI, he had never represented England so could have switched back at any time before accepting his first competitive cap for us. You know, like Rice or Grealish. But considering he had never played under-age for England, was then Leeds Utd's 3rd choice gk and had just been sent back to them after failing a trial at York City(!), I seriously doubt he was ever on Southgate's speed dial!

Meanwhile Lee Camp was 26 and hadn't represented England at any level for over 5 years when HE approached NI:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/9013561.stm

As for Maik Taylor, as a UK citizen born outside the UK, under FIFA's rules he was entitled to play for any of the four home nations.  He was 24 and playing non-league before he even got his chance to go f-t with Barnet FC. He eventually made his debut for the NI U-21 team in April 1998 at the age of 27, as an over-age player in a friendly vs Malta, a reflection of the fact that none of the other 3 home nations was in the slightest bit interested in capping him.
And in any case, the 4 Associations came to a voluntary agreement soon after that in future any such player would have to have a clear connection with whoever wished to cap him. Further, this agreement was formally lodged with FIFA and is written into their statutes.

So none of those is remotely like the case of the FAI making promises to a teenager to join them, thereby using up his only switch, made all the worse when force of numbers means he may not be good enough for ROI long term, but might have made a career with NI (see eg Michael McGovern).

But for some reason, you think Northern Ireland should be allowed to call up players with questionable links to the country
Who are these players with "questionable links"? I'm not denyng the right of the FAI to select these players, merely the ethics of doing so. Meanwhile everyone who has ever played for us has qualified under the rules then pertaining

But for some reason, you think Northern Ireland should be allowed to...        ... take players who had played for Ireland and then not play them [like Alex Bruce], yet Republic of Ireland should be precluded from calling up players from the north because of some one-sided gentleman's agreement.
When Alex Bruce first broke through in senior football, both the FAI and IFA were interested. He chose ROI as was his right (though not because of any national sentiment - his granny was from Bangor btw), but because they were "the better team" [sic]. He just squeezed into your U-21 team despite having just turned 21 himself.
Five years later, having only ever played a couple of meaningless senior friendles for the ROI (a summer tour to USA?), he knew that he had zero chance of ever getting any further there, so HE approached the IFA to switch. He first represented us aged 28.

(Btw the whole point about a Gentlemens' Agreement is that it is entirely voluntary on both sides - no-one forced the FAI into it.  Nor were they forced to break it, though maybe they thought they could do so on the basis that they were never "gentlemen" in the first place - see eg the John Delaney thread!)

You have no problem with NI taking Alex Bruce and then not using him, preventing him from ever having the chance of continuing his career with us [however unlikely], and you have no problem with NI using ethically shady tactics to try and take lads like Jimmy Dunne and Michael O'Connor from us.
"However unlikely" - you're a comedian I'll gve you that!

As for Jimmy Dunne, Michael O'Neill was quite clear where the first approach came from:
"Jimmy Dunne made it known that he would be interested in a conversation with me. I had a conversation with Jimmy and if you look at the situation, Jimmy Dunne is no different to Northern Ireland than Declan Rice is to the Republic of Ireland — he’s eligible through grandparents,” said O’Neill.
In fact it is clear that Dunne was only using NI in order to put pressure on the FAI, which as I said previously is sneaky, but hardly a crime.

As for Mad Mental Mickey, it is no concidence that HE approached the IFA when he was 20 i.e. just in time for our U-21's and soon after Stephen Kenny had taken over your U-21's, while being earmarked for the senior job. That is, MO'C knew there was nothing down for him with ROI, but hoped he might get somewhere with us.
In any case we didn't promise him anything, since afaik he has yet to feature for us in any of our teams (open to correction).

Give over with the hypocrisy FFS. It's extremely unbecoming.
"Hypocrisy" is it?

I've swatted away every single example you've dragged up from down the decades to try to prove some sort of case.

1/10 - Must try harder.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

Did they ever scrap that "born abroad and therefore eligible for all four nations" loophole ? 
Yes. The four home Associations voluntarily agreed between themselves not to exploit it and formally told FIFA so. (We wanted to emphasise the separate jursdictions of the 4 British teams)

Btw it wasn't a loophole as such. FIFA's rules say that if you hold the nationality of a particular country, you are entitled to represent the national teams of that country. They say "teams" (plural), since they recognise that some countries, most notably but not exclusively the Uk, have more than one national team.

Which for a Scot like yourself must be a welcome relief!
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 4:55pm
The Jersey-born former St Pat's goalkeeper, Trevor Wood, is another who was called up by the north despite having absolutely no familial connection there whatever.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

The Jersey-born former St Pat's goalkeeper, Trevor Wood, is another who was called up by the north despite having absolutely no familial connection there whatever.
With the Channel Islands having no national team of their own, his only chance of an international career was with one of the 4 home nations and NI were the only one interested, unlike eg Le Tissier or Le Saux, who could have had their pick.

Besides which and as I said earlier, the rules on that have long since been changed to prevent it. He would now need a recognised connection (ancestry, residence, club etc).

[I say "career", but his sole NI cap came as a 2nd half substitute away to Leichtenstein. Twenty five years ago.]

Edited by Territorial - 23 Sep 2020 at 5:15pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 6:10pm
The O'Shea when

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 23 Sep 2020 at 6:11pm
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 6:24pm
LOL
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 6:34pm
LOLLOLLOL

The Bamford one is priceless LOLLOLClap

Edited by irishmufc - 23 Sep 2020 at 6:36pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 6:49pm

The O'Shea when

Did you spend your day preparing that? I really did rattle you yesterday, didn't I LOL On an aside, James Shea isn't eligible for Ireland and Lonergan already declared about 9 years ago, but I suppose you do deal in inaccuracies Clown
We're decent enough..
Dr. Pat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Dr. Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 7:29pm

The O'Shea when

Did you spend your day preparing that? I really did rattle you yesterday, didn't I LOL On an aside, James Shea isn't eligible for Ireland and Lonergan already declared about 9 years ago, but I suppose you do deal in inaccuracies Clown

Well you obviously both rattled one another, seeing as you both prattled on for 4 pages. But his meme is kind of funny so he wins. Any chance you could both fu*cking leave it be now?
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 7:36pm
If you don't like it, then don't read it, no one is forcing you. It's very simple really.
We're decent enough..
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 7:39pm

If you don't like it, then don't read it, no one is forcing you. It's very simple really.

It’s f**king annoying in fairness. You can DM or just have a special thread for you two to hug each other 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 7:48pm
He's so easy to trigger. LOL
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 7:49pm

He's so easy to trigger. LOL

You’re annoying too
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

It’s f**king annoying in fairness. You can DM or just have a special thread for you two to hug each other 
I found it made this thread much more entertaining. That was a quality meme too, credit where it is dues.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 313314315316317 452>
  Share Topic