You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 290291292293294 452>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 9:55pm
It might end up helping us, but what a load of sh*t.
Sponsored Links

Shermanator1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shermanator1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 9:57pm
As much of a fuss that was made over losing Declan Rice, that defection never bothered me 1/10 as much as losing Jack Grealish.  He was the charismatic, creative presence our team was crying out for at the time and still is.

I often wonder if in retrospect, Jack would have made the same choice.  Had he remained with Ireland, he'd have likely earned roughly 40 caps, partaken in Euro 2016, and become the face and cornerstone of the national team for the foreseeable future. 

As it stands, he is still awaiting his first cap for an English team that seems to rate a number of young players ahead of him, with James Maddison next in the cue.

While I've read enough comments to know that many on here want no part of him, would these proposed rule changes allow him to reconsider a decision that perhaps he regrets?  He could potentially be the perfect link between the veterans and the young guns that will be arriving sooner than we think.  Just wondering....
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 9:58pm
That's not what we need to be honest, if anything it's a hindrance as it means young English-born players who have a bump in form after lining out for us at senior level could come under pressure to switch.... The only rule we need amended (and which would be genuinely helpful to us) is the one that prevented Johansson from representing us.
We're decent enough..
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 10:01pm
Seems to mention a bunch of Brazilians playing for china in the article... I'm not saying it stinks of backhanded envelopes full of cash but....

It would very likely benefit ireland but agree its just another poorly defined rule that fifa want to make worse.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

That's not what we need to be honest, if anything it's a hindrance as it means young English-born players who have a bump in form after lining out for us at senior level could come under pressure to switch.... The only rule we need amended (and which would be genuinely helpful to us) is the one that prevented Johansson from representing us.

Reading it, it seems that a player would have to have not been capped for a period of at least 3 years before they can switch back, so it makes that scenario a bit less likely.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Reading it, it seems that a player would have to have not been capped for a period of at least 3 years before they can switch back, so it makes that scenario a bit less likely.

Can we offer someone jeff Hendrick 
AKA pedantic kunt
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

This could help Ireland 

Going by that Jack Grealish could still play for us.... unlikely and i wouldn't want to see either

Ah come on. His behaviour rubbed me the wrong way but he would help us a lot more than the likes of O'Dowda, Christie or even McGoldrick.

If he opted to play for us right now, and we could have him, I doubt many of us would turn him down.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 10:20pm
That's mental they are considering this.
As for Grealish, a move to a big club beckons and surely some actual England game-time after that.
But having said that, nowhere near as many games as he;d get if he was back available for Ireland tomorrow...much as that would be bizarre.

I do wonder about Johansson tho?
If he becomes eligible again, we can all harp on about how he's rotting away in Seville and needs a loan to League 1 Big smile

EDIT: Re-reading the article and wording, I fail to see how this doesn't allow Johannson switch now with no issue, bar having to wait 3 years from when he played that competitive match for Luxembourg (which would be from Oct '21, so not miles away by any means)?
What am I missing?

Edited by Fozz - 19 Aug 2020 at 10:27pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 10:37pm
Well Johansson has switched to Sweden now, so unless they're allowing a third country he's a gonner either way. Crowley might be a more interesting one, it would really depend on the exact wording of the regs, if they don't change the bit that says they needed to be a citizen of one country before playing for the other then they're definitely both still out.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Well Johansson has switched to Sweden now, so unless they're allowing a third country he's a gonner either way. Crowley might be a more interesting one, it would really depend on the exact wording of the regs, if they don't change the bit that says they needed to be a citizen of one country before playing for the other then they're definitely both still out.

Ah true.
I had forgotten that key part.
And if so, both these lads are still ruled out but you'd think that the rules as proposed are far more lenient and the rule that blocks these lads now an outlier if FIFA are trying to make it easier to not be stuck.
Either way, more mud in the water.

I wonder what other lads are out there who were capped as teenagers for other countries and are now working away but suddenly eligible for us?
Someone in the FAI will be given a new project.
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Ah true.
And if so, both these lads are still ruled out but you'd think that the rules as proposed are far more lenient and the rule that blocks these lads now an outlier if FIFA are trying to make it easier to not be stuck.

I wonder what other lads are out there who were capped as teenagers for other countries and are now working away but suddenly eligible for us?

Two (not good enough) players that I think could switch under this rule would be Martin Kelly and Jon Flanagan.

Seems like a pretty stupid rule all in all. 

Edit: Both of the above only played friendlies, so never mind 

Edited by giveittochristie - 19 Aug 2020 at 11:38pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 1:29am
Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Ah true.

Two (not good enough) players that I think could switch under this rule would be Martin Kelly and Jon Flanagan.

Seems like a pretty stupid rule all in all. 

Edit: Both of the above only played friendlies, so never mind 

Neither Kelly or Flanagan are eligible.

Obvious beneficiaries would be Dan Crowley and Nathan Redmond.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 2:22am
They have to love the Eire first 
korourke View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korourke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 2:23am
Redmond is on record as saying he would not be playing for us. Crowley, on the other hand, has been waiting patiently and never wavered. This is a no-brainer. I've always been impressed with Crowley.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 2:28am
Any chance Micky Johnston would declare for us ?
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 3:07am
Originally posted by korourke korourke wrote:

Redmond is on record as saying he would not be playing for us. Crowley, on the other hand, has been waiting patiently and never wavered. This is a no-brainer. I've always been impressed with Crowley.

Wavered a bit that time he played for England which caused this, no ?
And what choice does he have but to be patient  ?  Tell England they're about to lose the Birmingham City number ten is it  ? LOL
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 7:22am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Any chance Micky Johnston would declare for us ?

Don’t think he’s good enough to get near the team 
Dr. Pat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 8:38am
So Michael Obafemi's one and only competitive cap for us came in November 2018. Under new rule he would only have to wait for another 15 months before switching to another country. Not saying it's likely but....
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 290291292293294 452>
  Share Topic