Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 286287288289290 451>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 7:57pm
An honest question here for the patriots, if Bamford scored the winner against Slovakia would you celebrate or be sick?

Any player who shows up for international duty is doing so because they want to be there no matter if they feel a million percent Irish or had never stepped foot in the country pre meeting up with the squad.

I would be in the camp that gives said player the benefit of the doubt, thereby judging them on their performances or actions after they link up with the squad as opposed to beforehand.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

An honest question here for the patriots, if Bamford scored the winner against Slovakia would you celebrate or be sick?

Any player who shows up for international duty is doing so because they want to be there no matter if they feel a million percent Irish or had never stepped foot in the country pre meeting up with the squad.

I would be in the camp that gives said player the benefit of the doubt, thereby judging them on their performances or actions after they link up with the squad as opposed to beforehand.

Sure why stop there? Why not say if he scores the winner in the World Cup final?

I will cheer on any player that is playing for us, even if I don't like them, as he's stuck with us, and we're stuck with him (assuming they've been capped in a competitive game). I would much prefer though if we had a bit of pride in ourselves and didn't hand out caps to people who clearly have very little interest in playing for us.

I don't support a club side. To me the highest honour in football is to represent your country, and to have Irish people robbed of the opportunity to play for Ireland in order to give a cap to someone like Bamford, who has no interest in playing for us if he feels he has even the slightest chance of playing for England, is in my view wrong.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 8:55pm

It's a stupid question GD. 

The ship has long sailed for giving Bamford the benefit of the doubt. Too much dilly-dallying with him.He isn't going to declare anyway but if he did, then most rational Irish supporters would be celebrating if he scored for us. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Sure why stop there? Why not say if he scores the winner in the World Cup final?

I will cheer on any player that is playing for us, even if I don't like them, as he's stuck with us, and we're stuck with him (assuming they've been capped in a competitive game). I would much prefer though if we had a bit of pride in ourselves and didn't hand out caps to people who clearly have very little interest in playing for us.

I don't support a club side. To me the highest honour in football is to represent your country, and to have Irish people robbed of the opportunity to play for Ireland in order to give a cap to someone like Bamford, who has no interest in playing for us if he feels he has even the slightest chance of playing for England, is in my view wrong.

If he declares and turns up you would admit to being wrong in that case then, yes?

Modern football is fickle as are modern football fans, the time of romance is dead. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

The ship has long sailed for giving Bamford the benefit of the doubt. Too much dilly-dallying with him.He isn't going to declare anyway but if he did, then most rational Irish supporters would be celebrating if he scored for us. 

Why is it stupid Confused

By your logic it's absolutely impossible to even assume that he may line out for us when in truth it isn't.

So what's the problem, if a player turns up and puts in a shift shouldn't he be given the benefit of the doubt?

Edited by Green Devil - 21 Jul 2020 at 9:01pm

Olaf View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 9:02pm

That’s my view. I totally get the national pride argument, however and it is a big however. We’re simply not gifted enough to turn down players of Bamfords quality. We’ve let far too many slip through the net over the last decade. Keane/Kane to name just two. Today a nation mourned the loss of an Irish icon, an icon that milked the granny rule too finally get us too major tournaments, now like then we don’t have the quality. 
It’s not just Bamford, it’s Crowley who feels like he’s been around for years but he’s 22. Kieran Dowell, 22 scored 5 goals in 10 games from midfield for Wigan. Mikey Johnson at Celtic. 
Stephen Kenny needs to convince these chaps they can be part of something special with a green jersey on, like Jack did. I’m not sold on Kenny, I don’t think he’s upto the job. But he plays football at least, so there is no more one two with god, that’s an argument in itself to play for us.

Edited by Olaf - 21 Jul 2020 at 9:02pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 9:13pm
I would like to Stephen Kenny leaving no stone unturned and do his best to make our playing pool as deep as possible, provided he's going for quality over quantity.

Ask a player once, if he delays move on.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 9:23pm

Why is it stupid Confused It's stupid because almost all Irish supporters would celebrate without hesitation if any Irish player scored for us no matter what they think personally of the player himself. 

By your logic it's absolutely impossible to even assume that he may line out for us when in truth it isn't. I'm saying he won't declare for us imo but I was hardly saying it was impossible. Of course it's possible. 

So what's the problem, if a player turns up and puts in a shift shouldn't he be given the benefit of the doubt? There's no problem at all. I wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt in him actaully declaring and playing for us, not that I wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt even if he did and was playing for us. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 9:24pm

If he declares and turns up you would admit to being wrong in that case then, yes?

Modern football is fickle as are modern football fans, the time of romance is dead. 

Read what I said. I said he has no interest in playing for us while he believes he has even the slightest chance of playing for England. I didn't spell it out in my last post but the obvious implication of that was that he might be open to playing for us if he realises that he has about as much chance of getting capped by England as I do by Ireland.
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 9:27pm

By your logic it's absolutely impossible to even assume that he may line out for us when in truth it isn't.

So what's the problem, if a player turns up and puts in a shift shouldn't he be given the benefit of the doubt?
Even if they had to be dragged in to the squad kicking and screaming and only after they had given up the last glimmer of hope of playing for Engerland? Guess its a question of pride and national self respect in your country really whether you are prepared to indulge anyone purely to improve our chances of winning a match
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 9:30pm

I would like to Stephen Kenny leaving no stone unturned and do his best to make our playing pool as deep as possible, provided he's going for quality over quantity.

But yet you're advocating going back to ask Bamford again. Make your mind up. I've no issue putting it to a player once, but if he turns down a call up as he needs more time, then that should be the end of the matter.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 9:33pm

But yet you're advocating going back to ask Bamford again. Make your mind up. I've no issue putting it to a player once, but if he turns down a call up as he needs more time, then that should be the end of the matter.

I'm advocating going to back to ask Bamford because we have a new manager in place, McCarthy was a glorified stopgap so his word couldn't carry the same weight as that of a permanent appointment.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Even if they had to be dragged in to the squad kicking and screaming and only after they had given up the last glimmer of hope of playing for Engerland? Guess its a question of pride and national self respect in your country really whether you are prepared to indulge anyone purely to improve our chances of winning a match

Talking about an over reaction.......

Irish fans taking the morale high ground and we've literally used the granny rule to the absolute max over the years LOL

Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 9:59pm

I'm advocating going to back to ask Bamford because we have a new manager in place, McCarthy was a glorified stopgap so his word couldn't carry the same weight as that of a permanent appointment.

Ah would you stop ffs. He's been asked. He didn't want to play for us. That should be the end of it.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Jesus Christ. What about having a bit of pride in ourselves and instead of going cap in hand to some chancer who has no more interest in playing for us, we actually give opportunities to the promising young, and here's the key part, IRISH, players who would give anything to get a senior cap. I dont care how good or bad a player is, if we are his 2nd choice he can go and sh*te.
Some of the anglophiles on here would like a team full of cockneys!

Embarrassing statement 
We're decent enough..
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 11:13pm

Can a player make up his mind on his international career that quickly......especially if he’s not from the country asking???you hear of all the stories of managers asking players in players lounges after games to play international football for us and instantly saying “yes!”....all bollocks if you ask me.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 11:29pm
Either they want to play for us or they don't. Michael Obafemi is a good example of someone who could have taken his time but took no persuasion to play for Ireland. Mark Noble, Nathan Redmond, Martin Keown, Harry Kane, Michael Keane, etc were upfront when it came to it and made no bones about wanting to play for England. But spare me the antics of Grealish, Rice, Bamford and any other posturing ninnies like them who think it's acceptable to play silly ' will he, won't he ' games purely for self-interest. Kenny has the right idea-give them one shot, away from the glare of the media, and if they're not up for it, cheerio.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Either they want to play for us or they don't. Michael Obafemi is a good example of someone who could have taken his time but took no persuasion to play for Ireland. Mark Noble, Nathan Redmond, Martin Keown, Harry Kane, Michael Keane, etc were upfront when it came to it and made no bones about wanting to play for England. But spare me the antics of Grealish, Rice, Bamford and any other posturing ninnies like them who think it's acceptable to play silly ' will he, won't he ' games purely for self-interest. Kenny has the right idea-give them one shot, away from the glare of the media, and if they're not up for it, cheerio.

I’m second gen myself and I sympathize with dual nationality kids, but I’m inclined to agree.

I think the Rice situation will be seen as a watershed moment for us. It was embarrassing, and a kid like Rice nor his agent understand the significance of his choice. Particularly ugly when you have dirtbags like David Sullivan wading in and leading him towards England. 

The diaspora will always be welcomed by Ireland, but you have to want to play and appreciate the honour. That is not a tall order.

Bamford can f**k off.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 286287288289290 451>
  Share Topic