Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 285286287288289 452>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

i have no insider knowledge but to me seems like bamford was delaying bc he hoped he could get in england squad if leeds got promoted.. now that they've gone up, i feel like its less likely than ever he will all of a sudden have the urge to pick up the phone and finally declare...while he would add some depth, just dont want him at all, as said with mcgoldrick connolly long obafemi etc plus parrott, idah, other young players, we have some options anyway

He hasnt a hope of getting anywhere near the England squad 

Most Leeds fans seem sick of him. Could argue if Leeds got promoted 2 years ago he might have a small chance, but he’s getting older and there’s a lot of English youth above him now. 
Sponsored Links

BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 8:03pm
As a Leeds fan he is deffo Leeds.. would break your heart.
He seems intent on missing chances which your granny would score 
I hope he is not our main strike option in pl.
Would keep him cos he does a lot of work a la Mcgoldrick
But we (both Ireland and Leeds) need a lethal centre forward
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Olaf Olaf wrote:

It’s 100% in our interests to try and get Bamford. With a new manager and coaching team it’s worth a fresh try. We do have Parrot, Connolly in particular coming through. But he’s an experienced head who could lead the line. Long isn’t getting younger, nor is McGoldrick. 

Fook off LOL

Edited by irishmufc - 20 Jul 2020 at 8:44pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 8:58pm
If Bamford makes himself available, fair enough. As things stand though, I don't think theres any particular need to actually go after him. We've plenty of good striker options at the moment.
We're decent enough..
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

If Bamford makes himself available, fair enough. As things stand though, I don't think theres any particular need to actually go after him. We've plenty of good striker options at the moment.

Exactly. A slight upgrade on Scott Hogan. 

It will be a sad reflection on our strikers if we are still talking about Bamford in 12 months time. 

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 10:31pm
Bamford has never had any interest in playing for Ireland, any more than Nathan Redmond. Unlike Redmond, he is highly unlikely to ever win an England cap or in my view become a successful Premiership regular, though he may fancy his chances on both counts. I believe Leeds will be looking for an upgrade on his position when they're recalibrating the team for the challenges of the higher level next season-he's a good Championship striker but has not cut it to date in the Premiership. We should forget about him. He strung Mick along disgracefully, probably at the behest of an agent seeking to generate publicity in the fashion of Grealish and Rice.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 9:37am
Does Bamford even qualify to play for us any more? Would be not be ruled ineligible like Johansson and Crowley anyway?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

As it stands, we only have good options in the search for good options. We desperately need someone reliable up front. If Bamford opts in, he deserves a fair go like the rest of them.  

Which is exactly what I said - "if he makes himself available, fair enough". Any player who opts to play for Ireland deserves consideration, however, as things stand, it may well not be anything more than "consideration" for Bamford. He certainly would not be a shoo-in to make our squad now unlike 18 months ago when he almost certainly would have been. He's missed the best chance he was ever going to have to establish himself for us IMO.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 9:42am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Does Bamford even qualify to play for us any more? Would be not be ruled ineligible like Johansson and Crowley anyway?

We still don't know what the final decision on Crowley is. In any case, it's possible Bamford had an Irish passport prior to representing England competitively at underage level, in which case it would all be a moot point anyway.
We're decent enough..
Olaf View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 12:17pm
Bamford will never play for England. He surely realises that now also he’s turning 27 in two months. Tammy Abraham and Sancho just push him further down the pecking order. 
Leeds will be in around the relegation fight next year, it’s hard to see him lighting the league on fire. He previously struggled to score in the top flight. He scored 15/16 goals this year, at the very least Stephen Kenny needs to sit down with him. We don’t have the luxury to ignore goal scorers.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 12:44pm
Jesus Christ. What about having a bit of pride in ourselves and instead of going cap in hand to some chancer who has no more interest in playing for us, we actually give opportunities to the promising young, and here's the key part, IRISH, players who would give anything to get a senior cap. I dont care how good or bad a player is, if we are his 2nd choice he can go and sh*te.
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

There is no such thing as officially binding age groups. There are official matches which are binding and “friendly” matches which aren’t. An u20 FIFA World Cup run and organized by FIFA themselves is most definitely an official youth competition. 

I don't think that's true (again, I am wiling to be corrected).
A player can only make one International change.
If they play a competitive match at an official level (U17, U19 or U21) they are then an international of that association. 
U15 (I think), U16, U18 or U20 are not competitive levels, and do not count so they can play as much as they like at those levels and swap between countries at will.

If they then play a competitive match for another country at one of those levels, they are then tied to that 2nd nation forever.
Grealish, for example, is tied to England since he played competitive underage for us, and competitive U21 for England.  Even though he has never been capped at senior level for England.

Can anyone verify this?

Sorry, I should add - you cannot play competitively at the same age category for two nations.
So Joe Hodge has played for us at U17 and U19, so if he ever wanted to switch to England, it would be at U21 at the lowest level.
Sorry for casting any dispersions on poor Joe :)

It is true, what isn’t true is thinking FIFA have randomly and arbitrarily decided that u20 competitions, organized by themselves, don’t count based on absolutely nothing. 

If they play in a competitive match at any level, not one of those levels, any level. There is no competitive age groups. There is competitive competitions. You seem to be pulling this out of nowhere. 

Any player who refers to art. 5 par. 1[note 1] to assumes a new nationality and who has not played international football [in a match (either in full or in part) in an official competition of any category or any type of football] 

Key note here, ANY CATEGORY. From the official FIFA law book it is an official competition in any category. Go through the laws and show the law that randomly says any category except u20s. You won’t find it. 

Further to this an example even is Tyler Boyd. Played u20s for New Zealand and used the one time switch to play for USA. Among many other CONCACAF or OFC players as the u20s is the main competition age group in these federations, not u19s or u21s like UEFA. 

So whether it is the FIFA U20 World Cup or the CONCACAF u20 championship, these are official competitions and thus count officially and require a a one time switch application to be submitted after playing in these competitions. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 2:41pm

There is no such thing as officially binding age groups. There are official matches which are binding and “friendly” matches which aren’t. An u20 FIFA World Cup run and organized by FIFA themselves is most definitely an official youth competition. 

If they play a competitive match at an official level (U17, U19 or U21) they are then an international of that association. 
U15 (I think), U16, U18 or U20 are not competitive levels, and do not count so they can play as much as they like at those levels and swap between countries at will.

If they then play a competitive match for another country at one of those levels, they are then tied to that 2nd nation forever.
Grealish, for example, is tied to England since he played competitive underage for us, and competitive U21 for England.  Even though he has never been capped at senior level for England.

Can anyone verify this?

Sorry, I should add - you cannot play competitively at the same age category for two nations.
So Joe Hodge has played for us at U17 and U19, so if he ever wanted to switch to England, it would be at U21 at the lowest level.

It is true, what isn’t true is thinking FIFA have randomly and arbitrarily decided that u20 competitions, organized by themselves, don’t count based on absolutely nothing. 

If they play in a competitive match at any level, not one of those levels, any level. There is no competitive age groups. There is competitive competitions. You seem to be pulling this out of nowhere. 

Any player who refers to art. 5 par. 1[note 1] to assumes a new nationality and who has not played international football [in a match (either in full or in part) in an official competition of any category or any type of football] 

Key note here, ANY CATEGORY. From the official FIFA law book it is an official competition in any category. Go through the laws and show the law that randomly says any category except u20s. You won’t find it. 

Further to this an example even is Tyler Boyd. Played u20s for New Zealand and used the one time switch to play for USA. Among many other CONCACAF or OFC players as the u20s is the main competition age group in these federations, not u19s or u21s like UEFA. 

So whether it is the FIFA U20 World Cup or the CONCACAF u20 championship, these are official competitions and thus count officially and require a a one time switch application to be submitted after playing in these competitions. 

Boyd has absolutely no relevance to what you're saying? Whether his appearances for New Zealand at U-20 were considered competitive or not is unknown. If they weren't, he'd have been allowed to switch to the US, and if they were, he'd still have been allowed to switch to the US. Essentially his situation doesn't tell us anything, because he could still have switched to the US (as he did) regardless of whether your interpretation is correct, or ours.
We're decent enough..
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Olaf Olaf wrote:

Bamford will never play for England. He surely realises that now also he’s turning 27 in two months. Tammy Abraham and Sancho just push him further down the pecking order. 
Leeds will be in around the relegation fight next year, it’s hard to see him lighting the league on fire. He previously struggled to score in the top flight. He scored 15/16 goals this year, at the very least Stephen Kenny needs to sit down with him. We don’t have the luxury to ignore goal scorers.

Leeds in a relegation fight?! They're probably better than half the teams in the Premier league. Not saying they'll do a Sheffield utd but they'll comfortably stay up. 
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 5:04pm

Can anyone verify this?

Boyd has absolutely no relevance to what you're saying? Whether his appearances for New Zealand at U-20 were considered competitive or not is unknown. If they weren't, he'd have been allowed to switch to the US, and if they were, he'd still have been allowed to switch to the US. Essentially his situation doesn't tell us anything, because he could still have switched to the US (as he did) regardless of whether your interpretation is correct, or ours.
Not true at all. 

If his NZ u20 appearances weren’t competitive then he was free to just start playing for the USA but he wasn’t. Because they were competitive games, and we know this. Therefore he had to apply for the one time switch, which he did. 

Your post shows a complete lack of understanding of how it works. 

He’d have been allowed to switch if he played competitively at any age group. We know he played competitively because he was forced to apply for a one time switch. So essentially his situation tells us everything, that the FIFA u20 World Cup is in fact a competitive fixture according to FIFA, the people who run the tournament. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Jesus Christ. What about having a bit of pride in ourselves and instead of going cap in hand to some chancer who has no more interest in playing for us, we actually give opportunities to the promising young, and here's the key part, IRISH, players who would give anything to get a senior cap. I dont care how good or bad a player is, if we are his 2nd choice he can go and sh*te.

Agree. Hes had more than enough chances. Let him fcuk off.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 6:41pm

Can anyone verify this?

Not true at all. 

If his NZ u20 appearances weren’t competitive then he was free to just start playing for the USA but he wasn’t. Because they were competitive games, and we know this. Therefore he had to apply for the one time switch, which he did. 

Your post shows a complete lack of understanding of how it works. 

He’d have been allowed to switch if he played competitively at any age group. We know he played competitively because he was forced to apply for a one time switch. So essentially his situation tells us everything, that the FIFA u20 World Cup is in fact a competitive fixture according to FIFA, the people who run the tournament. 

There is paperwork involved in lining out for a country you weren't born in regardless of whether it's a formal switch or not (eg David McGoldrick, Cyrus Christie etc all had to go through a "paperwork process" despite never playing at any level for England prior to representing us).

I've noted one US article which uses the phrase "official 1 time switch of association". I've also noted that Boyd's wikipedia page has been updated today, using exactly the same phrasing as you have to describe Boyd's switch of association, and linking the aforementioned article. That would be a massive coincidence I suppose LOL
We're decent enough..
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Some of the anglophiles on here would like a team full of cockneys!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 285286287288289 452>
  Share Topic