You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 283284285286287 452>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Englishborn Englishborn wrote:

Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Thomás Doyle for Man City must have some Irish in him. He came on yesterday.

No link with us. Paternal grandfather Mick Doyle played with City and also his maternal grandfather Glyn Pardoe played with City. Both Brits and married Brits. There is no fada in his name like you stated above. 

Please don't use the word brits. England, English. I know you Irish love that word because it gives you some kind of gratification.  As an Englishman living in England., that word disgusts me

Would Tan be more preferable?
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 2:48pm
Callum O’Hare leaves Villa and signs for Coventry City. Will be a championship player next season.

He appears to be eligible, but he may fall foul of the same citizenship ruling that screwed Ryan Johansson. O’Hare played 9 minutes of a U20 Elite League game for England in 2017.

I don’t know if the Elite League is considered competitive. Looking into it. It’s f**king bullsh*t anyway.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 2:55pm
I don't think U20 is an official age level for competition play.
I stand to be corrected however.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Callum O’Hare leaves Villa and signs for Coventry City. Will be a championship player next season.

He appears to be eligible, but he may fall foul of the same citizenship ruling that screwed Ryan Johansson. O’Hare played 9 minutes of a U20 Elite League game for England in 2017.

I don’t know if the Elite League is considered competitive. Looking into it. It’s f**king bullsh*t anyway.

Has only played U-20 for England. Like U-15/16/18, U-20 is not a "FIFA recognised" age group as far as I'm aware, so he should be grand.
We're decent enough..
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 9:51am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Has only played U-20 for England. Like U-15/16/18, U-20 is not a "FIFA recognised" age group as far as I'm aware, so he should be grand.
FIFA organize the “FIFA U20 World Cup” of course it is a FIFA recognized age group. 

The Elite League isn’t an official tournament though, it’s an invitational in the same way as the Toulon or others similar. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 10:05am
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

FIFA organize the “FIFA U20 World Cup” of course it is a FIFA recognized age group. 

The Elite League isn’t an official tournament though, it’s an invitational in the same way as the Toulon or others similar. 

It's not an officially binding age group. There is a world cup, but as far as I'm aware no U-20 matches are considered "official" for eligibility purposes in the same way way as the aforementioned age groups. The only age groups that I have ever come across being regarded as "competitive" for eligibility purposes are U-17, U-19, U-21, and of course, senior.
We're decent enough..
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 2:32pm

It's not an officially binding age group. There is a world cup, but as far as I'm aware no U-20 matches are considered "official" for eligibility purposes in the same way way as the aforementioned age groups. The only age groups that I have ever come across being regarded as "competitive" for eligibility purposes are U-17, U-19, U-21, and of course, senior.
There is no such thing as officially binding age groups. There are official matches which are binding and “friendly” matches which aren’t. An u20 FIFA World Cup run and organized by FIFA themselves is most definitely an official youth competition. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 2:57pm
O’Shea is an expert on everything no point arguing.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 4:08pm

There is no such thing as officially binding age groups. There are official matches which are binding and “friendly” matches which aren’t. An u20 FIFA World Cup run and organized by FIFA themselves is most definitely an official youth competition. 

I don't think that's true (again, I am wiling to be corrected).
A player can only make one International change.
If they play a competitive match at an official level (U17, U19 or U21) they are then an international of that association. 
U15 (I think), U16, U18 or U20 are not competitive levels, and do not count so they can play as much as they like at those levels and swap between countries at will.

If they then play a competitive match for another country at one of those levels, they are then tied to that 2nd nation forever.
Grealish, for example, is tied to England since he played competitive underage for us, and competitive U21 for England.  Even though he has never been capped at senior level for England.

Can anyone verify this?

Sorry, I should add - you cannot play competitively at the same age category for two nations.
So Joe Hodge has played for us at U17 and U19, so if he ever wanted to switch to England, it would be at U21 at the lowest level.
Sorry for casting any dispersions on poor Joe :)

Edited by Fozz - 16 Jul 2020 at 4:09pm
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 4:59pm
you can play in two different competitions at the same age group - Grealish played in under 21 qualifiers for Irleand before going to do the same for England in the following UEFA U21 Championships a year later.

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 16 Jul 2020 at 4:59pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

you can play in two different competitions at the same age group - Grealish played in under 21 qualifiers for Irleand before going to do the same for England in the following UEFA U21 Championships a year later.

Good spot, I don't know where I read what I said but you are correct.
I think maybe you cannot play in the same competition?
So he played in a different campaign at U21 for England than he did for Ireland.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

So he played in a different campaign at U21 for England than he did for Ireland.

The difference is that Grealish is English born. Would it have worked the other way round?

For example if Grealish was not an Irish passport holder and still born in England and played for England u21s, then he decided he wanted to represent ireland, would this be permitted? 
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 5:43pm
maybe this was mentioned before but is Leeds Oliver Casey a 19 year old defender eligible for Ireland . 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 6:12pm
I don't think so. He's born and bred in Leeds. I have seen nothing about any Irish eligibility but I would hope that this has been checked out as he looks a very promising player who recently signed a new 3 yr contract.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 6:13pm

You, you're basically cup tied.
Before Rice declared for England, the Independent published quotes from "a source" that he would play for their U21s in their qualifiers for the UEFA 2019 Under 21 Championship.
When it was pointed out that he couldn't play for England, because he'd already appeared for Ireland in the qualifiers, the quote was changed to say he'd train with the senior team
Journalism, eh?

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 16 Jul 2020 at 6:31pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 6:46pm

I don't think that's true (again, I am wiling to be corrected).
A player can only make one International change.
If they play a competitive match at an official level (U17, U19 or U21) they are then an international of that association. 
U15 (I think), U16, U18 or U20 are not competitive levels, and do not count so they can play as much as they like at those levels and swap between countries at will.

If they then play a competitive match for another country at one of those levels, they are then tied to that 2nd nation forever.
Grealish, for example, is tied to England since he played competitive underage for us, and competitive U21 for England.  Even though he has never been capped at senior level for England.

Can anyone verify this?

Sorry, I should add - you cannot play competitively at the same age category for two nations.
So Joe Hodge has played for us at U17 and U19, so if he ever wanted to switch to England, it would be at U21 at the lowest level.
Sorry for casting any dispersions on poor Joe :)

Precisely. Only point (as has already been stated) is that you can play for two countries at one age group, just not the same competition (ie like the Champions league, you can't appear for 2 sides in 1 year).
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

The difference is that Grealish is English born. Would it have worked the other way round?

For example if Grealish was not an Irish passport holder and still born in England and played for England u21s, then he decided he wanted to represent ireland, would this be permitted? 

Wouldn't make a difference, once FIFA approve your 1 allowable change of nationality, you are irrevocably tied to that association. You don't even havd to go on to make an appearance for them at any level, it's the FIFA approval that ties you.
We're decent enough..
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 9:55pm
Should we try again for Bamford or tell him thanks but no thanks 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 283284285286287 452>
  Share Topic