Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 277278279280281 452>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I would think the distinction would be if a player who qualifies for two teams, plays in the youth set up and has absolutely no intention of playing for the senior team.

Such examples would be Grealish and Mcclean

McClean accepted a call-up by Nigel Worthington to the senior team three weeks before a competitive match which would have tied him. Considering he was with Derry City at the time, that must have looked like as good as it was going to get for him, hence his acceptance.

It was only the fact of Sunderland signing him in the interim between call-up and match, and Niall Quinn's intervention, that suddenly made ROI an option for him.

Now I know that doesn't suit the mythology of "the fierce patriot Jamesie", but them's the facts and they only bear one explanation.

That said, I don't know how glad you are to have him, but the way things have turned out, it can't be half as glad as we are to have rid of him! LOL

If McClean played for NI, he'd have been one of Michael O'Neill's key players. His revitalisation at Stoke since O'Neill's takeover has illustrated that. 

As for the "fierce patriot" tripe, how would McClean playing for NI have changed that? Can someone not feel entirely Irish and yet still play for NI? McGovern and McGinn have been great servants for NI despite seeing themselves as nothing other than Irish. Your constant sniping and bitterness at McClean simply betrays you for a bigot.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 6:30pm
Totally agree with what you're saying there oshea but "revitilsation at stoke" is a bit much. He had 5 or 6 good games where he played well, but for perspective If you had taken him out of the bottom championship team and but him in a Premier League team he would have been left wanting.

I like mcclean and feel as an impact sub to put a bit of energy into the team in the last 20 mins of games he could be great for ireland.

But he's wholly dependant on his workrate and energy. 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 6:34pm
I am reminded of the words of the late Teddy Roosevelt : " It's not the critic who counts ; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is in the arena, whose face is marred by dust, sweat and blood." Does this man have a name ? Yes, I rather think he does . He's called James McClean .
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Who knows whether he made the right decision or not only time will tell.

Well he's already missed out on 5 years of international football that he would have had with us. Of course it could be that 1 England cap could mean more to him than 100 Ireland caps, and if that's the case he has obviously made the correct decision, even if the way he went about it was poor.

I know plenty here will disagree, but my own preference would be that if a player is called up to the senior squad for a competitive game and he then states that he needs time to think things over, that is his decision effectively made. He is turning down the call up so no more should follow.

If anything, given what happened with Grealish and Rice, that leeway is long gone and on the contrary most on here would agree with you imo. I certainly do. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Well he's already missed out on 5 years of international football that he would have had with us. Of course it could be that 1 England cap could mean more to him than 100 Ireland caps, and if that's the case he has obviously made the correct decision, even if the way he went about it was poor.

I know plenty here will disagree, but my own preference would be that if a player is called up to the senior squad for a competitive game and he then states that he needs time to think things over, that is his decision effectively made. He is turning down the call up so no more should follow.

If anything, given what happened with Grealish and Rice, that leeway is long gone and on the contrary most on here would agree with you imo. I certainly do. 
Again, it is easy to say now, but were another player of their calibre of either came along and the Irish manager were to be so dismissive he would be making a noose for his own neck. He would have to be seen to try and get him on board and be as patient as possible.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Personally, I think it comes down to the quality of a player. When I think about both Rice and Grealish, you’re talking about £100 Million, between the two of them, and the quality of our midfield would increase numerous fold with them. I suspect indulging their uncertainty is a privilege of their quality. I’m sure Kenny has players in mind who might qualify, but who aren’t going to make a material difference to the team in the way Rice and Grealish would have.

Of course it is. Any Irish manager who wants to have the best possible starting 11 for the Irish team will  indulge cases of exceptional players being in two minds but after the Grealish and Rice soap operas, I don't think there will be as much leeway given and hopefully any future cases like these won't be allowed to drag out as much. 
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

<b style="">I know plenty here will disagree, but my own preference would be that if a player is called up to the senior squad for a competitive game and he then states that he needs time to think things over, that is his decision effectively made. He is turning down the call up so no more should follow.

Again, it is easy to say now, but were another player of their calibre of either came along and the Irish manager were to be so dismissive he would be making a noose for his own neck. He would have to be seen to try and get him on board and be as patient as possible.

I agree that the manager could be creating trouble for himself but my thoughts on this are the same, irrespective of the quality of the player. This practice of trying to coax players to play for us needs to end. It is wrong.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I would think the distinction would be if a player who qualifies for two teams, plays in the youth set up and has absolutely no intention of playing for the senior team.

Such examples would be Grealish and Mcclean

McClean accepted a call-up by Nigel Worthington to the senior team three weeks before a competitive match which would have tied him. Considering he was with Derry City at the time, that must have looked like as good as it was going to get for him, hence his acceptance.

It was only the fact of Sunderland signing him in the interim between call-up and match, and Niall Quinn's intervention, that suddenly made ROI an option for him.

Now I know that doesn't suit the mythology of "the fierce patriot Jamesie", but them's the facts and they only bear one explanation.

That said, I don't know how glad you are to have him, but the way things have turned out, it can't be half as glad as we are to have rid of him! LOL 

You wouldn't have turned your nose up at McClean getting N.I. out of a potentially embarrassing result
in Moldova, a winner against one of your group rivals in their own backyard in Vienna or a goal to send N.I. to a world cup playoff. You'd have accepted all his baggage if he stayed with N.I. as long as he was playing well and getting vital goals.  

Would agree with you to a degree on McClean (Duffy too) willing to play for N.I. at underage level when their country was their first choice. They shouldn't have played for N.I. at any level (assuming it was an option for them at underage level to play for Ireland) imo. 

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 7:54pm

See my reply to Hetfield as I'm making that exact point Thumbs Up

I'm saying that there probably won't be the same amount of leeway as there would've been before the Grealish and Rice situations. No responsible future Irish manager will be dismissive of any exceptional future player in two minds that could play for us but I don't see the 'will he won't he' sagas dragging out as much. We've been stung twice and hopefully Kenny and his future successors exercise a degree of caution if this type of situation arises again.  
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 8:01pm
McClean did describe NI as a stepping stone . Michael Keane used the same expression re him playing for Ireland at underage level, claiming now that he was committed to England all along. Ironic that his brother Will wants to play for us now his career has nosedived-when the brothers were youngsters at Man Utd, Will was the star, a prolific goal scorer eager for a glittering career with England when he made what most including himself presumed would be the inevitable step up from the underage teams. Michael was regarded in contrast as a plodder but happy to play for Ireland underage while Will starred for England at the same time. At least nobody can criticise the commitment of McClean and Duffy since they came to us. The Derry boys have always given 100%.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 8:08pm
Given his comments about fast-tracking talent in the podcast with Dunphy, I don't think it will get to a point where players are established in the Premier League as top players and not committed to us one way or the other.

These players will be forced into decisions much sooner by Kenny, in the same way Ryan Giggs got Ethan Ampadu tied to Wales before he had established himself on the elite club stage.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 8:12pm
They were eligible to play for Northern Ireland and the manager of the teams that they played for wanted to play his strongest team. As far as the players were concerned, they may well never have imagined playing for anybody else, even if the may have dreamed of playing for another.
For the national association it is a risk that they have to take. Every association has benefited from players who may well have dreamed for playing for another. I’m sure the north wouldn’t hand the likes of McGinn back, nor would we hand many of ours back, even the duds! It hurts more, and is much more of a story, when a player defects from an association they represented to another, but it just has to be taken on the chin.

Also, as identity is such a difficult and fluid thing, particularly as this is a sport and not war, how can you decide who should and shouldn’t play for who? Lads like McClean, who might not even  recognise the political entity he once represented, may have been happy to play for coaches he grew up with or players he knew. He could have gone on and had a hundred caps and a half dozen death threats and have been happy to do so for one person or reason.

The eligibility laws aren’t perfect, there is some tweaking needed, but they aren’t far off being as fair as possible.
Theoretically, no one should have to be coaxed or cajoled, but players will make their decisions for a myriad of reasons and it is little more than  thoughtcrime to start second guessing what they are, even when it seems obvious.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

McClean did describe NI as a stepping stone . Michael Keane used the same expression re him playing for Ireland at underage level, claiming now that he was committed to England all along. Ironic that his brother Will wants to play for us now his career has nosedived-when the brothers were youngsters at Man Utd, Will was the star, a prolific goal scorer eager for a glittering career with England when he made what most including himself presumed would be the inevitable step up from the underage teams. Michael was regarded in contrast as a plodder but happy to play for Ireland underage while Will starred for England at the same time. At least nobody can criticise the commitment of McClean and Duffy since they came to us. The Derry boys have always given 100%.

Have to say, I'm so sick of listening to this platitude of all things McClean on here. We know he's committed. 

McClean shouldn't have played for them. I couldn't care less if he seen it as a stepping stone tbh. 
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 8:32pm
"Theoretically, no one should have to be coaxed or cajoled, but players will make their decisions for a myriad of reasons and it is little more than  thoughtcrime to start second guessing what they are, even when it seems obvious."

Where people live, how or what they identity themselves as, what they refer to as "home" has all changed over the last few generations.
Even more so the next / following generation will themselves have their own opinions. "National" identities are maybe not so important as previous generations think. Or football fans :->
As someone who has lived more of my life outside Ireland I would say that most of the kids I know might not have a definitive answer if you asked them.
Indeed plenty of the adults have availed of second passports / nationalities to suit their residental / working life
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 8:37pm
One of the reasons maybe not fully appreciated why young players from a nationalist background have not wanted to play for NI is the rank sectarianism some of them have encountered with some notorious bigots connected to the running of underage teams. Add to that the playing of 'God Save The Queen' and the nature of the abuse from so-called fans and you get the gist. Kenny confirmed at the weekend that he would continue to welcome players from the north and rightly so. They have a choice now, unlike previous times when they didn't.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 8:48pm
Exactly! In sport it becomes even more complex because there is often a slightly different angle. Your kids may be Ireland fans due to their connection with you, but might see themselves as 100% German. That is conjecture, I have no idea how your family identifies, but is just an example of how the sports aspect further  complicates something that is already complicated.

The reason NI fans get upset over McClean or Duffy, or that Irish fans do over Grealish and Rice is that we see them as black and white situations: that you can’t be Irish and English, you have to choose. You can’t be north and south. There wouldn’t be many fans of the north on here if McClean had played for Canada or Grealish the USA, were that possible
The reality is that, in a footballing sense at least, McClean was both Northern Irish and Irish and Grealish was both English and Irish and whatever they decided to be at the crunch, and whatever their reasons, is up to them. 

Edited by pre Madonna - 14 Apr 2020 at 8:56pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 8:53pm
And look, people will always be a bit wary of some players who will make overtures about playing for the Irish team via heritage rules and will view them with suspicion at the outset. Some players have only declared after their careers have hit a slump, others have made casual indications when they have been playing at low levels as though we might be willing to accept League One and Two candidates. Too often it seems like both parties are willing to accept second be best.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 9:11pm

They were eligible to play for Northern Ireland and the manager of the teams that they played for wanted to play his strongest team. As far as the players were concerned, they may well never have imagined playing for anybody else, even if the may have dreamed of playing for another.
For the national association it is a risk that they have to take. Every association has benefited from players who may well have dreamed for playing for another. I’m sure the north wouldn’t hand the likes of McGinn back, nor would we hand many of ours back, even the duds! It hurts more, and is much more of a story, when a player defects from an association they represented to another, but it just has to be taken on the chin.

Also, as identity is such a difficult and fluid thing, particularly as this is a sport and not war, how can you decide who should and shouldn’t play for who? Lads like McClean, who might not even  recognise the political entity he once represented, may have been happy to play for coaches he grew up with or players he knew. He could have gone on and had a hundred caps and a half dozen death threats and have been happy to do so for one person or reason.

The eligibility laws aren’t perfect, there is some tweaking needed, but they aren’t far off being as fair as possible.
Theoretically, no one should have to be coaxed or cajoled, but players will make their decisions for a myriad of reasons and it is little more than  thoughtcrime to start second guessing what they are, even when it seems obvious.

I've never been in McClean or Duffy's shoes so I would be cognisant of the choices they had to make, but the fact they both clearly identify as Irish and see Ireland as their national team, then their willingness to play for N.I. is less understandable for me than English born Rice and Grealish who clearly seen England as their country. The question of identity being a difficult and fluid thing would apply more in the Grealish/Rice cases than with McClean or Duffy's. 

I will add that they may not have had the opportunity to play for Ireland underage or have the same access to play for Ireland given they were born in the IFA's territory. I assume McClean and Duffy would have had coaches and players in the N.I. underage set-up that they wanted to play for and with but I do think if that was the case, it's a bit of kick in the teeth for them when McClean describes his time with N.I. as a stepping stone to play for Ireland. Playing for N.I. and then coming out with comments like that is a bit disrespectful imo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 277278279280281 452>
  Share Topic