Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 233234235236237 452>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by BippityBoop BippityBoop wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

Does anyone know why switching international allegiance takes so long? is there any reason in particular why the paperwork cannot be sorted in the space of a week?

Rice switch to England already completed. He can be named in their next squad. It doesn’t seem to take other associations the same amount of time to get sorted. 

It's a bit odd alright how we seem to have to wait months for paperwork to go through.

Check Dan Mc Donnell on twitter shedding some light 

And text for the even lazier:

"The swift Declan Rice change of allegiance explained - Grealish took 6/7 months. FAI weren’t going to hold things up either given they need/will need the FA to sign forms for them with Keane, Bamford etc. (I owe PP an apology for sl*gging off that Rice England squad market)"

Interesting that he has mentioned Bamford who I think is unlikely to declare, but has not mentioned Crowley who has already declared? 

Crowley doesn't play in England. Isn't a real player. Still a stigma about continental based players. Yet there's a good chance Collins, mcgeady and Curtis from league 1 will get a call up.

Crowley should have been scouted since before Christmas. 
Stigma? I want the lad to be looked at and probably deserves a chance by virtue of there not being anybody else, but he is playing for a mid-table side in a league that. outside the biggest clubs at least, has bent over so the rich leagues can send their kids and nobodies to be 'developed'. Not really their fault, you could say it is a very pragmatic and Dutch approach to the modern game, but the realities are there
He should definitely have been scouted and called up, but the hyperbole is a bit much, especially as only a handful of us have actually seen more than brief highlights.
Sponsored Links

LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Does anyone know why switching international allegiance takes so long? is there any reason in particular why the paperwork cannot be sorted in the space of a week?

Rice switch to England already completed. He can be named in their next squad. It doesn’t seem to take other associations the same amount of time to get sorted. 

It's a bit odd alright how we seem to have to wait months for paperwork to go through.

"The swift Declan Rice change of allegiance explained - Grealish took 6/7 months. FAI weren’t going to hold things up either given they need/will need the FA to sign forms for them with Keane, Bamford etc. (I owe PP an apology for sl*gging off that Rice England squad market)"

Interesting that he has mentioned Bamford who I think is unlikely to declare, but has not mentioned Crowley who has already declared? 

Crowley doesn't play in England. Isn't a real player. Still a stigma about continental based players. Yet there's a good chance Collins, mcgeady and Curtis from league 1 will get a call up.

Crowley should have been scouted since before Christmas. 
Stigma? I want the lad to be looked at and probably deserves a chance by virtue of there not being anybody else, but he is playing for a mid-table side in a league that. outside the biggest clubs at least, has bent over so the rich leagues can send their kids and nobodies to be 'developed'. Not really their fault, you could say it is a very pragmatic and Dutch approach to the modern game, but the realities are there
He should definitely have been scouted and called up, but the hyperbole is a bit much, especially as only a handful of us have actually seen more than brief highlights.

i think Mick should make him captain 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Deco79 Deco79 wrote:

Whats to say Rice, Agent and FA didn't do it months ago whilst messing us around!
Afaik, the FAI have to sign off their end of the paperwork, so no, it couldn't have been done earlier on the quiet.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 4:28pm

There's also the time of year to consider, plus international tournaments looming, both of which may affect the time it takes (backlog and the like).

For example, when Shane Duffy wanted to transfer from IFA to FAI, FIFA put it and all other non-urgent transfers on hold, until they cleared up a load of other transfers necessary to ensure other applicants could represent their new country in the 2010 World Cup Finals.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 9:48pm
If Crowley can make any sort of an impression against this Ajax team in the cup final then he’s easily good enough to play for us. 
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 10:00pm
Bamford would be an excellent addition "but" getting the right supply to him now will be the main issue if/when he declares.

It's rather unfortunate that we're on the verge of securing a pretty good striker, when over the last year or so we've now lost both Grealish and Rice to England.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 10:13pm
Rice is many things, but a creative midfielder isn't one of them. He'd have helped us keep the ball, but he wouldn't have been creating too many chances. 
We're decent enough..
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Rice is many things, but a creative midfielder isn't one of them. He'd have helped us keep the ball, but he wouldn't have been creating too many chances. 

I never said claimed he was?

Hence why I wrote another comment underneath, about us possibly gaining one good player but losing two Thumbs Up
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 7:41am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

This is the thing we are most in need of!
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 5:51pm
Two unusually well-researched articles on Balls.ie on eligibility and development issues for our national team.  

Posting them here, as they may have slipped under the radar and are deserving of consideration:

Absurd that our scouting network in the UK is so unsupported (despite the outstanding work done by Mark O'Toole - we should be grateful for him).  Our past and present team, and that of Wales, Scotland and NI show how important this is.  Ridiculous that the FAI can't come up with a few grand to help O'Toole out with a few more scouts when they're spending a mill plus on the management ticket (unlike Wales, Scotland and NI).  A management ticket which only serves to fail to engage some of the diamonds O'Toole finds (Rice, Grealish, Michael Keane) or MON's best attempts to get Obafemi to declare elsewhere. 

Interesting insight as well into Armstrong Okoflex - Dublin born and bred - who apparently played for England because they asked first...  Presumably open to play for the country he's actually from then...?  On the bench for the Celtic first team recently so should be in line for our U21 squad at the very least...
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Two unusually well-researched articles on Balls.ie on eligibility and development issues for our national team.  

Posting them here, as they may have slipped under the radar and are deserving of consideration:

Absurd that our scouting network in the UK is so unsupported (despite the outstanding work done by Mark O'Toole - we should be grateful for him).  Our past and present team, and that of Wales, Scotland and NI show how important this is.  Ridiculous that the FAI can't come up with a few grand to help O'Toole out with a few more scouts when they're spending a mill plus on the management ticket (unlike Wales, Scotland and NI).  A management ticket which only serves to fail to engage some of the diamonds O'Toole finds (Rice, Grealish, Michael Keane) or MON's best attempts to get Obafemi to declare elsewhere. 

Interesting insight as well into Armstrong Okoflex - Dublin born and bred - who apparently played for England because they asked first...  Presumably open to play for the country he's actually from then...?  On the bench for the Celtic first team recently so should be in line for our U21 squad at the very least...

Regarding the FAI coming up with a few grand to help Mark O'Toole, Noel King did recently reach out to a London-based Irish journalist called Rob Brennan in order to get him into a role like this. As far as I know that didn't materialise but I imagine it means that they are broadening their scouting network in the UK.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Regarding the FAI coming up with a few grand to help Mark O'Toole, Noel King did recently reach out to a London-based Irish journalist called Rob Brennan in order to get him into a role like this. As far as I know that didn't materialise but I imagine it means that they are broadening their scouting network in the UK.

Brennan accepted the job, but then rejected it on the grounds that the FAI wouldn't even offer him expenses let alone a wage IIRC. They'll have serious issues broadening anything if they aren't prepared to put money behind it... In essence, the entirety of our "scouting budget" is O'Toole's meagre 20,000 wage; that is shameful.
We're decent enough..
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 12:18pm
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 1:08pm
Please god let Bamford declare for us.
Things are bad 
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 1:08pm
At least we have Roy keanes look-a-like in June....but Paddy needs a buzz haircut asap
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 1:09pm
Trap would say. The cat is in the sack...now get in touch with Michelle Redmond. mickey
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 3:20pm
Lads, is Karlan Ahearne-Grant definitely eligible for Ireland? Anyone know?
The only way is up
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Lads, is Karlan Ahearne-Grant definitely eligible for Ireland? Anyone know?

If his personal info is anything to go no

Personal life

In June 2018, whilst on holiday in Ibiza, Grant and fellow teammate Reeco Hackett-Fairchild were arrested on suspicion of a sexual assault on a 19-year-old woman.

In the summer of 2018, he dropped the Ahearne part of his surname, to become known as Karlan Grant.

Edited by lassassinblanc - 07 Mar 2019 at 3:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 233234235236237 452>
  Share Topic