You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 225226227228229 450>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

What is your point? I've said he's Gibraltarian, so obviously he has a link to Gibraltar. You've entirely neglected his father's side of the family, which seeing as his surname is Ronan, is most likely where the Irish link would be.
My point was that although born in the UK, and having lived there in recent years, the lad seems firmly wedded to representing Gibraltar.

That's it, really.

And how is that at all relevant to my post, which was along the lines of "it would be incredible if there was no Irish link with a name like that"?
This is the "Players eligible for Ireland" thread.

You posted about a player who might be eligible.

Even if he might be eligible, I pointed out that it is very unlikely that he would be interested.

How is that not relevant? Confused
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 11:44pm

What is your point? I've said he's Gibraltarian, so obviously he has a link to Gibraltar. You've entirely neglected his father's side of the family, which seeing as his surname is Ronan, is most likely where the Irish link would be.
My point was that although born in the UK, and having lived there in recent years, the lad seems firmly wedded to representing Gibraltar.

That's it, really.

And how is that at all relevant to my post, which was along the lines of "it would be incredible if there was no Irish link with a name like that"?

Even if he might be eligible, I pointed out that it is very unlikely that he would be interested.

Firstly, I never hinted that a) he would be interested, or b) that we should call him up. And what exactly has convinced you that he would have no interest if he did turn out to be eligible and good enough? A young player saying he's committed to a small country until a better offer comes along, where have we seen that before.....
We're decent enough..
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 6:28am

That's it, really.

Firstly, I never hinted that a) he would be interested, or b) that we should call him up. And what exactly has convinced you that he would have no interest if he did turn out to be eligible and good enough? A young player saying he's committed to a small country until a better offer comes along, where have we seen that before.....

Daniel Kearns 
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:32pm
Any word on Patrick Bamford? It's gone very quiet on that front recently especially with the mighty Will Keane stealing the headlines
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 7:04pm
Probably waiting to see if Leeds get promoted to the EPL.... Or else McCarthy just reckons Keane is the better player.
We're decent enough..
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 9:26pm
Bamford has only just played 2 90mins after injury .....his 4th full games of the season.........anything International won't happen till the Summer (if at all)
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 10:01pm
Bamford would want to get called up soon for his sake. Barring a scenario where he's cracking in the goals, I don't see Kenny calling him up. And in general, I see Stephen Kenny having a much harder line on English born players who are non committal. 
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Bamford would want to get called up soon for his sake. Barring a scenario where he's cracking in the goals, I don't see Kenny calling him up. And in general, I see Stephen Kenny having a much harder line on English born players who are non committal. 

I have no issue chasing players or waiting for someone to make their mind up however I would not cap any non committal players at U21. I would be very hesitant to do it at any age to be honest. We as a footballing nation need to maximise or passion and pride in games on top of our footballing ability to compete. Very hard to do that with mercenaries involved.
It's not me it's you:-)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 12:34pm
Ask a player, if they say they need time to think then give them a month. If they haven't got back to you by then, forget about them.
We're decent enough..
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 2:21pm
The Rice situation was easy for a cap vs Moldavia the last 5minutes. the Big Street Wise nations do it all the time. It is not ethical though, but u have to put the nation before the youngster. rice got a big headed too in the meantime . Iam waiting his downfall in football terms. He is a turncoat.

Edited by Gerry Geary - 21 Feb 2019 at 2:22pm
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 7:14am
https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/mccarthy-lift-as-crowley-eyes-ireland-switch-37841409.html

According to this article Crowley has requested a transfer to Ireland. He won’t be available for the March international break but he should be available for the June internationals.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
davereilly View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davereilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 7:30am
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/mccarthy-lift-as-crowley-eyes-ireland-switch-37841409.html

According to this article Crowley has requested a transfer to Ireland. He won’t be available for the March international break but he should be available for the June internationals.

Nice one! Shame he's not available for March, I would be reluctant to hand him a debut against Denmark, but the home game against Gib is a nice start to see what he's like at an international level
eddiebro View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddiebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 8:28am
Just imagine right now if MON didn’t cap Doherty last year. The Dutch would be all over him trying to call him up. Not questioning his commitment but think Luca Connell, Conor Coventry etc should be called up for Gib game and end the speculation now. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 8:29am
Why the fcuk couldnt he be processed for march Angry
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 8:42am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Why the fcuk couldnt he be processed for march Angry

We surely have some bargaining power with FA here. If they speed up the paperwork on Crowley we can do the same for Rice!! 

Edited by 50%lesssugar&salt - 22 Feb 2019 at 8:43am
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 1:32pm
Got to say that we’ve had three good young players declare for us this past year, and doing it the right way. Callum Robinson, Ryan Johansson and now Crowley all made their decisions with minimum of fuss and chasing. Obafemi didn’t exactly need to declare, but he handled his announcement well in the face of a lot of external pressure. For all the bad examples in the last few years, these lads have done it right.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Got to say that we’ve had three good young players declare for us this past year, and doing it the right way. Callum Robinson, Ryan Johansson and now Crowley all made their decisions with minimum of fuss and chasing. Obafemi didn’t exactly need to declare, but he handled his announcement well in the face of a lot of external pressure. For all the bad examples in the last few years, these lads have done it right.
I would imagine there is a few football fans in Luxembourg who would disagree with you.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 1:56pm
I would imagine there is a few football fans in Luxembourg who would disagree with you.
[/QUOTE]

That would account for all 5 of them..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 225226227228229 450>
  Share Topic