You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 220221222223224 452>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Any truth in the statement on his wiki page that his long term goal is to play for the tans 

That page has been edited 10 times in the last 2 days, just typical Wiki bullsh*t
Sponsored Links

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 10:05am
Does anyone know if Keelan O’Connor of Bournemouth is eligible for us? 

Born in England but with a name like that etc.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

Luca Connell in demand, wonder if he's fully committed to us:-

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6644207/Tottenham-join-Southampton-Burnley-Brighton-race-Boltons-Luca-Connell.html
Was he part of any of our recent underage squads? Haven't heard much about him but its a decent sign that he's played in two FA cup games already.
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6644207/Tottenham-join-Southampton-Burnley-Brighton-race-Boltons-Luca-Connell.html

Was he part of any of our recent underage squads? Haven't heard much about him but its a decent sign that he's played in two FA cup games already.

7 underage caps to date, at U17 & 18. His wiki page, not that it's anything to go by, seems to be edited on a daily basis regarding his commitment to us
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

was in the under 18 squad in November: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/ireland-u18-squad-named-for-spanish-tournament

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 5:47pm
Made his league debut at 17 and getting linked to top clubs.  Should we be involving him in the match against Gibraltar?  

In my opinion, the answer is "yes".  We need to make a concerted effort to keep these dual-eligible players in our camp.  
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Made his league debut at 17 and getting linked to top clubs.  Should we be involving him in the match against Gibraltar?  

https://www.balls.ie/football/luca-connell-bolton-championship-debut-405205 - https://www.balls.ie/football/luca-connell-bolton-championship-debut-405205

In my opinion, the answer is "yes".  We need to make a concerted effort to keep these dual-eligible players in our camp.  

Completely disagree. He hardly merits a competitive debut after one appearance.  The devalues the jersey and would send out the wrong signal to other players.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:06pm

kin ellLOL
skylarking View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skylarking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:19pm
Have to agree with Luis Amor on this one!!!!

Especially after Woody Allen and Psycho failing to secure one of the most hyped youngsters in the PL, the theory that giving a player a few mins as sub in a competitive game some how devalues the jersey is just ludicrous. Take a leaf out of Wales's book! They have a 17 year old whose Da played for Ireland who wiped the floor with us ... probably a good decision by the Welsh FA in hindsight.

Anyway, this lad is already with the FAI setup - really can't understand some of the dismissive whinging here! 

Edited by skylarking - 30 Jan 2019 at 6:23pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:29pm
If he plays regularly (and well) over the next few weeks, he should at least be in consideration for the squad. 

Edited by The O'Shea - 30 Jan 2019 at 6:30pm
We're decent enough..
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:52pm
f**king hell LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:54pm
LOL
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 7:19pm
We are talking about Ireland. Cant cope with that. Mon was assertive about it. The players should deserve a CAP because his form is somewhat good or he has been great for the Under age teams. 

Scotland and Wales can do that!. Ireland Can't
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 1:02am
Originally posted by skylarking skylarking wrote:

Have to agree with Luis Amor on this one!!!!

Especially after Woody Allen and Psycho failing to secure one of the most hyped youngsters in the PL, the theory that giving a player a few mins as sub in a competitive game some how devalues the jersey is just ludicrous. Take a leaf out of Wales's book! They have a 17 year old whose Da played for Ireland who wiped the floor with us ... probably a good decision by the Welsh FA in hindsight.

Anyway, this lad is already with the FAI setup - really can't understand some of the dismissive whinging here! 
I agree with this. This lad who has feck all first team experience ran the show against us in Cardiff that night. It’s hardly madness to cap this lad who’s international future isn’t certain or else we will be constantly adding to the list of Grealish, Rice and so on.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 2:36am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

If he plays regularly (and well) over the next few weeks, he should at least be in consideration for the squad. 
\

I should qualify what I said slightly to agree with what O'Shea has said - wouldn't want to see a call-up on the basis of one appearance; but we should have Connell watched and, as O'Shea says, if he plays regularly and well in the next few weeks, get him in. 

At worst, it will be a great experience for one of our promising younger players.  

At best, we get a lad on the pitch who is going to contribute in this campaign, the Euros and the next 15 years.   It was pure stupidity not to cap Rice against Moldova when we were two up, possibly the worst team to come to the Aviva since we failed to cap a precocious Grealish against Gib in Nov 2014.  

As a general point, I do think we should have a space or two in each squad for lads who possibly might not be immediately good enough this minute to start, but are there in a developmental capacity - your Lee O'Connors, Conor Coventrys, etc. 

In fairness to Mick, he had a good record of that in his first stint.  I remember him calling up a very young Richie Dunne for an important game, maybe Romania away or some similar game, possibly before he'd made his debut for Everton.  He might have been 17 yo or so. 
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 3:07am

In fairness to Mick, he had a good record of that in his first stint.  I remember him calling up a very young Richie Dunne for an important game, maybe Romania away or some similar game, possibly before he'd made his debut for Everton.  He might have been 17 yo or so.

Mick had a very different brief / job description last time round, he had a development one and time to do so. He has none of that this time, and f**k all motivation to do so either.

Out of interest, say you want to take Connell and Coventry to Gibraltar with a view to capping them if we are comfortable in the game, who do you leave out of the squad ?  Pick your midfielders there.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 3:08am
I see Clinton Morrison's son is playing with Nottingham Forrest Under 14s. It would be madness not to get him a cap in the Gibraltar game. We could probably start him up front along with Terry Dixon.

Edited by Borussia - 31 Jan 2019 at 3:13am
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I see Clinton Morrison's son is playing with Nottingham Forrest Under 14s. It would be madness not to get him a cap in the Gibraltar game. We could probably start him up front along with Terry Dixon.

LOL

I don't think Clinton's son is eligible though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 220221222223224 452>
  Share Topic