You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 215216217218219 451>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

No.

Source?

Why do you need a source ffs other than instigating another pointless argument between the 2 of you.

He's played for England at every underage level and he's as Scouse as The Beatles. That's about it
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 10:35pm

No.

Source?

Coady himself. The question has been asked (and answered) numerous times already on here btw.
We're decent enough..
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 10:43pm

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 14 Jan 2019 at 10:50pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 10:49pm

No.

Source?

Coady himself. The question has been asked (and answered) numerous times already on here btw.

Did he tell you himself or was it reported somewhere?

I've seen it asked, but not seen it answered on this forum...
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 10:55pm
He was asked on Soccer AM and confirmed he wasn't eligible, it had been common knowledge for years previously though.
We're decent enough..
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 10:56pm

No.

Source?

Jason Byrne asked him on Soccer Am a few weeks back and he said he hadn’t
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 10:59pm
There's a promising youngster playing for West Ham who is eligible for The EIRE.  Declan Rice.  Meant to be good.  Has anyone looked into it?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 11:19pm
Cheers. Shame.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

There's a promising youngster playing for West Ham who is eligible for The EIRE.  Declan Rice.  Meant to be good.  Has anyone looked into it?
Haven't heard of him but how does he qualify for us? We could make sh*t jokes about his surname.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Haven't heard of him but how does he qualify for us? We could make sh*t jokes about his surname.

Or stalk his Instagram for every ‘like’ he makes. We’ve ploughed through every Social Media he uses 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 12:54am
Originally posted by Green rebel Green rebel wrote:

I was recently recently told marcus browne with west ham on loan at Oxford is eligible to play for us,does anyone know if this is true,looks a fine a player .

Where did this rumour come from GR? Haven’t seen anything about it elsewhere. Fine player
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Green rebel View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 9:24am
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

[QUOTE=Green rebel]I was recently recently told marcus browne with west ham on loan at Oxford is eligible to play for us,does anyone know if this is true,looks a fine a player .

Where did this rumour come from GR? Haven’t seen anything about it elsewhere. Fine player
[/QUOTE
His older brother played with Sunrab in London at school boys level and it was mentioned to me at the time he had irish connections with his grandparents,I'm still trying to find out is he a generation out,normally I could be told there's lads with irish connections but with no evidence,its the spelling of his surname makes me believe there's some truth and the Sunrab coach that told me is normally spot on.A bit of a messer when he was younger but who wasn't and has been very unlucky with injuries,can't believe he has never looked at by England at any underage level.]
Fanny MaGee View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fanny MaGee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 9:32am
West Ham are after a Scottish born lad playing at Bristol Rovers called Michael Kelly, there's surely a link there. He's a full back and has played under age football for the jocks up to U-17.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-west-ham-open-talks-to-sign-full-back/

Edited by Fanny MaGee - 15 Jan 2019 at 9:36am
Ask MaGee
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Fanny MaGee Fanny MaGee wrote:

West Ham are after a Scottish born lad playing at Bristol Rovers called Michael Kelly, there's surely a link there. He's a full back and has played under age football for the jocks up to U-17.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-west-ham-open-talks-to-sign-full-back/

What's his connection to Ireland ?
Danny Invincible View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Invincible Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 11:12am

The uncertainty in relation to Kearns was only removed after the CAS decision. Before that, there was clearly an arguable case that he was not eligible.

There really wasn't. That's like saying that, say, Ciaran Clark's eligibility would be "arguable" simply if someone raised a doubt over it. He's eligible under article 5, as he's an Irish national from birth, just like Kearns, who is also eligible under article 5, as he's an Irish national from birth. 

Kearns' eligibility was even formally approved by FIFA's Players' Status Committee, as he made a formal switch of association, so what was "arguable" about it? Just because someone might have attempted to erroneously argue against it based on an evidently incorrect interpretation, it doesn't actually mean it was actually arguable. It was crazy for the IFA to bring the case and crazy for King & Gowdy to take it on (although they did probably make a quare buck out of it). 

...Danny, who tells us he is a lawyer...

I didn't tell you I was a lawyer. I don't practice. I simply clarified that I had a law degree because you seemed to think I was unfamiliar with the notion of different approaches to the interpretation of laws.

I imagine the IFA would disagree strongly with your view that the concepts of national territory and territory governed by the association should be aligned as the same thing.

That's not what I said. Clearly, in the case of the FAI, the administrative territory of the association does not align with the territory over which Irish nationality law applies, as the administrative territory of the FAI is 26 counties, while Irish nationality law applies over 32 counties. 

This is all the more so when, in the period the rules were drafted, NI born players generally (if at all?) did not play for ROI (on grounds arising out of their birth place at least).

When are you referring to when to talk of "the period the rules were drafted"? 1962, 2004 or 2008? Players from the north like Mark McKeever, Ger Doherty and Ger Crossley were playing for the FAI before even the Good Friday Agreement took effect.

So, the IFA might ask, against the status quo of that backdrop, why would a person then get eligibility because their grandparent was born in NI?

Because that person would be an Irish national by descent and Irish nationality is the nationality of the FAI. The intended purpose of the introduction of the present-day article 7 conditions was to prevent countries naturalising players for footballing purposes. This is evident if you read the Kearns case or FIFA's Circular no. 901. It wasn't to prevent players who were nationals by parental or grand-parental descent. These players have a "clear connection".

(ii) re distinguishing with U21 - all I'm saying is the penalty for sailing close to the wind at U21 is many times less than at senior level.  
So maybe - I don't know - maybe the FAI had that in mind with Barton and sought to normalise things that way.  Maybe it hasn't occurred to them at all.

What are you talking about? What do you mean that the FAI might have "sought to normalise things" with Barton? The idea that the FAI might have been happy to risk punishment and reputational damage by playing an ineligible player in four European Under-21 Championship qualifiers, just because the punishment would be less severe than if it were at senior level, is ludicrous. Why would they even do that?  

Quote Btw: asking their disciplinary unit about it obviously isn't conclusive of anything. You, as a legally trained person must know that. That unit is not a binding authority on anything - it can only offer a view.  Just like you.  And just like me. And just like Terri.

The DCU would have intimate knowledge of our players' eligibility and would be in direct communication with FIFA and be knowledgeable of their processes. Are you suggesting that FIFA have no process for checking and verifying the eligibility of international players, unless a player goes through a formal switch?

Whose word would you regard as binding then? FIFA's? Sure you evidently refuse to accept that even their word was binding in the Kearns' case when you talk of his eligibility having been "arguable" until CAS re-clarified matters for the IFA. 

An FAI confirmation would certainly confirm that the idea that Terri had been peddling at one point - that the FAI supposedly learned from the Kearns judgment that players such as Barton weren't actually eligible - is nonsense.

Anyhow, I got an email back from the FAI's DCU today, but it didn't go into specific details on Barton (for confidentiality reasons, I presume). They said: "Unfortunately we can’t go into the specific detail surrounding individual players applications for a change of Association."

This is interesting, because I hadn't mentioned anything about a switch of association in the email I had sent them, so is it to imply that Barton underwent a formal switch? I've emailed back to see if I can get clarification on that, but if it is the case he had a switch request approved by FIFA's Players' Status Committee, then that ought to be the final nail in the coffin for your conspiracy theory.

Edited by Danny Invincible - 15 Jan 2019 at 11:13am
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 2:18pm
Not sure if it has been mentioned but is Matt O'Riley eligible? Plays for Fulham U23s, drawing interest from Stuttgart, RB Leipzig and Borussia Dortmund.

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Not sure if it has been mentioned but is Matt O'Riley eligible? Plays for Fulham U23s, drawing interest from Stuttgart, RB Leipzig and Borussia Dortmund.

daveyc View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

his middle name Matthew Sean O'Riley
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 215216217218219 451>
  Share Topic