Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 207208209210211 452>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

A welcome addition

a line up of consisting of

----------------Bamford----------------

Brady---------Crowley--------Redmond

----------McCarthy----Rice---------

Stevens--Clark/Egan-- Duffy----Coleman/Doherty

----------------Randolph

Would be a step in the right direction
It's great, but it is completely unrealistic...

... not a f**king hope McCarthy will ever be fit.
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 2:52pm
LOL

Is he not back in training with Everton?

In terms of Bamford I think he has to think very realistically about it.

He's 25 so is probably coming toward the half way point of a potential international career (Let's say 2/3 campaigns)

In terms of England he has Kane, Rashford, Wilson, Welbeck ahead of him but Southgate has used him a U21 level before (I think) and if Leeds were to be promoted and he played well he'd be on their radar.

Would he be a starter for us?
He'd have a better chance with us then England anyway, Maguire, Hogan, Long being his main competition.

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 4:02pm
No quotes from McCarthy, nothing from Bamford about wanting to declare for Ireland, and the writer managed to publish an article with the mistake "come come" in it.

Calling it clickbait is being generous
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

LOL

Is he not back in training with Everton?

In terms of Bamford I think he has to think very realistically about it.

He's 25 so is probably coming toward the half way point of a potential international career (Let's say 2/3 campaigns)

In terms of England he has Kane, Rashford, Wilson, Welbeck ahead of him but Southgate has used him a U21 level before (I think) and if Leeds were to be promoted and he played well he'd be on their radar.

Would he be a starter for us?
He'd have a better chance with us then England anyway, Maguire, Hogan, Long being his main competition.

I don't think McCarthy will ever come back the player he was, and I don't think he was that great to start!

The others are, as was said above, the result of a slow-news day.

Edited by pre Madonna - 17 Dec 2018 at 4:20pm
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 10:40pm
That bamford fellow just looks like a young roy keane
Bibi Baskin View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibi Baskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 10:32am
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Bibi Baskin Bibi Baskin wrote:

Update on Michael Johnston (Celtic)

http://www.celticfc.netews/15488?fbclid=IwAR1QiAM18LVy9dafSKZkcu3f8sCFbEjyfqE0zyABcG4lpDDF_CHLM66usMY - http://www.celticfc.net/news/15488?fbclid=IwAR1QiAM18LVy9dafSKZkcu3f8sCFbEjyfqE0zyABcG4lpDDF_CHLM66usMY

We are chasing him in case you didnt know :)

http://www.punditarena.com/footballmenezes/fai-chasing-irish-celtic-wonder-kid/ - http://www.punditarena.com/football/nmenezes/fai-chasing-irish-celtic-wonder-kid/

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/s/football/987991/scotland-face-international-tug-of-war-with-republic-of-ireland-over-celtic-starlet-michael-johnston/ - https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/987991/scotland-face-international-tug-of-war-with-republic-of-ireland-over-celtic-starlet-michael-johnston/
Anything more recent on this? He seems to have now progressed to Scotland u21s since this and probably isnt a million miles away from a senior call up considering their player pool.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

Originally posted by Bibi Baskin Bibi Baskin wrote:

Update on Michael Johnston (Celtic)

We are chasing him in case you didnt know :)

Anything more recent on this? He seems to have now progressed to Scotland u21s since this and probably isnt a million miles away from a senior call up considering their player pool.
He should be starting for Celtic, as soon as that happens, added to the fact that Scotland don't have huge depth on the left-wing, it will only be a matter of time before he gets a call-up.
I can't see him switching.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 12:24pm
That Dennis Cirkin lad at Spurs did a Q and A on his Instagram story yesterday and said that he’d be open to representing any of the four countries he is eligible for. (England, Ireland, Russia and Latvia.) 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

That Dennis Cirkin lad at Spurs did a Q and A on his Instagram story yesterday and said that he’d be open to representing any of the four countries he is eligible for. (England, Ireland, Russia and Latvia.) 

Fairly optimistic reading of it. He was asked if he'd play for Ireland and replied "who knows". Not exactly inspiring stuff...
We're decent enough..
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 5:55pm
Possibly commented on here before, but Jon Gallagher, 22 yo winger from Dundalk, plays for MLS champions, Atlanta United.  Hasn't made first team debut yet (having only been "drafted" this year), but doing well in the reserves.  

Has had an international up-bringing and never capped at any level by us.  

Info on him here: https://www.mlssoccer.com/players/jon-gallagher  

Here he is talking about his journey to Atlanta Utd:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zj_D0W_wVo 

Apparently Atlanta Utd are way over their "international player" quota, so have to play the likes of Gallagher in the reserves for a season to free up spaces in the first team squad for more established international players.  However there has been good progression from the reserves for international players in the past:  
https://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/2018/1/22/16912878/analyzing-atlanta-uniteds-unconventional-superdraft   

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 23 Dec 2018 at 6:03pm
greenscene View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenscene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 10:38am
Mick is pushing to get Nathan Redmond to declare for us. I'm shocked he is just 24. Feels like he is around a long time and always felt he was at least 28.
WWW.GREENSCENE.ME
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 11:40am
Originally posted by greenscene greenscene wrote:

Mick is pushing to get Nathan Redmond to declare for us. I'm shocked he is just 24. Feels like he is around a long time and always felt he was at least 28.

Do we have any indication of Redmond's thoughts on playing for us. No doubting he would be a great addition and one of the first names on the team sheet. However with his recent performances he may not be that far away from the England squad. 
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 11:51am
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Do we have any indication of Redmond's thoughts on playing for us. No doubting he would be a great addition and one of the first names on the team sheet. However with his recent performances he may not be that far away from the England squad. 

I seem to remember his mother saying she’d love him to play for us, but it was entirely his decision, that was a few years ago. Think she’s either Dublin born or 1st generation but is 100% Irish, bit like the Rice situation and his dad

Edited by Howdo - 26 Dec 2018 at 11:53am
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

I seem to remember his mother saying she’d love him to play for us, but it was entirely his decision, that was a few years ago. Think she’s either Dublin born or 1st generation but is 100% Irish, bit like the Rice situation and his dad

Mother is Dublin born. No dad oom scene.
It's not me it's you:-)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

Mother is Dublin born. No dad oom scene.
A traditional Dublin family.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 12:59pm
His mum has talked about it a few times down the years. He’s always been committed to England, but he mentioned a few years back that he’d have to choose between England, Ireland, and Jamaica at international level.

Knowing that he’s eligible, it’d be mad for a new manager not to persue him. I think he’ll stick with England, but he’d add a lot to our squad.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

His mum has talked about it a few times down the years. He’s always been committed to England, but he mentioned a few years back that he’d have to choose between England, Ireland, and Jamaica at international level.

Knowing that he’s eligible, it’d be mad for a new manager not to persue him. I think he’ll stick with England, but he’d add a lot to our squad.

Certainly worth having the conversation. Don't think any of our squad could complain about that happening.  
It must be annoying when players that are perceived to be inferior or at a level similar in quality to existing players are parachuted into the squad. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 207208209210211 452>
  Share Topic