You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 202203204205206 450>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 10:26pm
O’Connell is decent with the ball. Would have no qualms with us chasing him.

Some scouting system though. “Hey Alan Judge, is Jack O’Connell eligible?” “Don’t think so” “Oh well we tried”
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 12:07am
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Some scouting system though. “Hey Alan Judge, is Jack O’Connell eligible?” “Don’t think so” “Oh well we tried”
That scouting system is tried and tested. Case and point Ray Houghton. Only got called up because John Aldridge did. 

Edited by ShamtheRam - 04 Dec 2018 at 12:07am
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 12:10am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

That scouting system is tried and tested. Case and point Ray Houghton. Only got called up because John Aldridge did. 

Don't forget Richie Dunne hearing Ciaran Clarkes parents accents at Villa and asking the question, tried and tested, bullet proof. 
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 4:00am
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Don't forget Richie Dunne hearing Ciaran Clarkes parents accents at Villa and asking the question, tried and tested, bullet proof. 

In fairness, I do not know why it took Richard Dunne to discover Ciaran Clark (and not the FAI) especially when Clark's first name is clearly Irish. It wouldn't have taken a genius to have looked into it.
The only way is up
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 2:41pm
Michael O'Connor from Dundalk declares for NI: https://www.balls.ie/football/michael-oconnor-402269 ;

Surprising move imv.  Is this the first player born and raised in ROI to switch to NI?  
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 2:49pm
What an absolute hypocrite Michael O'Neill is.

Good luck to him either way.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 2:57pm
They must be badly stuck.
superp View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 3:37pm
yeah hes not up to much leave him off.
irish to the core
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 3:59pm
O'Connor is a good player, was on the cusp of a move to Burnley only last January and was training/on trial with Rotherham  earlier in the year before eventually signing for Linfield.

Hes only gone 20 too so could yet turn out to be a decent prospect. Odd decision all the same, but cant blame him ..he's a million miles away from a ROI call up, might get himself into the window for bigger move again while getting the chance to play international football.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Really?

1. (Assuming he's eligible*), O'Connor has a clear connection with NI via his granny;

2. O'Neill has never denied the right of NI-born players to represent the FAI under FIFA's rules. Rather he expressed concern that the FAI was persuading youngsters still in their teens, who had already represented the IFA at under-age level, to switch to the FAI, thereby tying them permanently before they knew how their football career might pan out. 

For since the FAI has obviously a much bigger player pool than the IFA, it is always possible that a player who turns out not to be good enough to represent ROI at senior level might subsequently find that he could have got a chance with NI.

A perfect example is Michael McGovern. He was training with ROI's youth squad, when Brian Kerr advised him that there was too much competition for him to have much chance of making it with them, so he should try NI instead.

And as it turns out, he got a chance to play at Euro2016, where his performances got him a big contract at Norwich City, with career and life-changing consequences. Then again, Brian Kerr always had a sight more integrity than eg Noel King.

Whereas with Michael O'Connor, he'll be 21 next birthday, he's already had a good look at the ROI set-up, and as other posters here have noted, he's not really giving anything up by turning his back on ROI.

* - Still not sure myself how he's eligible, mind, unless as well as his granny, he also qualifies for a UK passport.

Edited by Territorial - 06 Dec 2018 at 4:20pm
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Michael O'Connor from Dundalk declares for NI: https://www.balls.ie/football/michael-oconnor-402269 ;

Surprising move imv.  Is this the first player born and raised in ROI to switch to NI?  
He was at Harps for half of last season. Terrible attitude it seemed. He’s young still but wasn’t overly impressed.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Dale Gorman and Darren Meenan have both played for them underage. I'm surprised the north haven't tried this more, there must be a huge amount of guys with either parents or grandparents from the 6 counties.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Really?

1. (Assuming he's eligible*), O'Connor has a clear connection with NI via his granny;

2. O'Neill has never denied the right of NI-born players to represent the FAI under FIFA's rules. Rather he expressed concern that the FAI was persuading youngsters still in their teens, who had already represented the IFA at under-age level, to switch to the FAI, thereby tying them permanently before they knew how their football career might pan out. 

For since the FAI has obviously a much bigger player pool than the IFA, it is always possible that a player who turns out not to be good enough to represent ROI at senior level might subsequently find that he could have got a chance with NI.

A perfect example is Michael McGovern. He was training with ROI's youth squad, when Brian Kerr advised him that there was too much competition for him to have much chance of making it with them, so he should try NI instead.

And as it turns out, he got a chance to play at Euro2016, where his performances got him a big contract at Norwich City, with career and life-changing consequences. Then again, Brian Kerr always had a sight more integrity than eg Noel King.

Whereas with Michael O'Connor, he'll be 21 next birthday, he's already had a good look at the ROI set-up, and as other posters here have noted, he's not really giving anything up by turning his back on ROI.

* - Still not sure myself how he's eligible, mind, unless as well as his granny, he also qualifies for a UK passport.

The insinuation of point 1 being that the likes of McClean/Gibson/Wilson etc have no such "genuine link" to the ROI. You're some clown LOL
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 7:21pm
Interesting how O'Connor words his eligibility. Says his grandmother is from Dundalk but was born in Belfast. I wonder was her family one of the hundreds that were burned out of their homes by Loyalists and had to flee across the border to Dundalk? Somewhat ironic that her grandson then ends up playing for Linfield and NI if that is the case....
We're decent enough..
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Crap senior Crap senior wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Interesting how O'Connor words his eligibility. Says his grandmother is from Dundalk but was born in Belfast. I wonder was her family one of the hundreds that were burned out of their homes by Loyalists and had to flee across the border to Dundalk? Somewhat ironic that her grandson then ends up playing for Linfield and NI if that is the case....
how can anyone from Ireland play for that shower? Mind boggling .

Ní ceapim
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 10:18pm
I don't know anything about the circumstances where is grandmother came to Dundalk from Belfast. However, I think ye may be reading into it far too much. 

I think it is very positive that a young lad from Dundalk can feel comfortable enough to line out for NI. It shows how far they have progressed.

Don't blame him for aiming to play international football. No disrespect to NI in saying this, but he must feel that he isn't good enough or will never have the opportunity with us. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 11:14pm
Oh no, we’ve missed out on a Linfield player
How will we get over this blow 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 06 Dec 2018 at 11:14pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 1:22am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Really?

The insinuation of point 1 being that the likes of McClean/Gibson/Wilson etc have no such "genuine link" to the ROI. You're some clown LOL
If that's what you want to infer, that's up to you.

But I was highlighting the granny link to demonstrate his connection to NI, hence MO'N's right to consider him. 

Which is no different from eg Declan Rice. You know, ancestry from ROI and all that, without whom he wouldn't be entitled to opt for the FAI.

And talking of Rice, there is a further significance. That is, under FIFA rules, anyone with British nationality is entitled to represent any of the four British Associations.

However, the four Associations have agreed between them that none shall pick such a player unless he also has a connection, such as birthplace, ancestry or residence etc.

It's called principle...

Edited by Territorial - 07 Dec 2018 at 1:26am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 202203204205206 450>
  Share Topic