You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 180181182183184 452>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

The next Jack Byrne Stern Smile

Why?
Sponsored Links

Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 6:26pm
To avoid this Declan Rice type mess happening again what are the chances of MON calling up the likes of Josh Cullen and Conor Coventry for example to the next nations league squad tomorrow to see exactly where we stand with these type of dual qualified players and see exactly what their commitment level is to Ireland rather than waiting a year or two when they “may“ have progressed as players
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 7:18pm
I'd say cullen will be in the u21 squad for their two qualifiers, and Coventry will be in the u19 squad for their first round qualifiers in Longford

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 03 Oct 2018 at 7:18pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
5678 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

I'd say cullen will be in the u21 squad for their two qualifiers, and Coventry will be in the u19 squad for their first round qualifiers in Longford

Rice was in those squads to means fcuk all to some.
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 7:37pm
Decent younger players need to be in the full senior competitive game squad and not u21s as we need to change our methods of seeing which dual qualified  players are committed or not , so we don’t fall into the same trap as before with the likes of Grealish and Rice

Edited by Liam Green - 03 Oct 2018 at 7:51pm
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

Decent younger players need to be in the full senior competitive game squad and not u21s as we need to change our methods of seeing which dual qualified  players are committed or not , so we don’t fall into the same trap as before with the likes of Grealish and Rice

This theory has a lot of traction on here, and with the Rice situation, there are nearly multiple posts daily saying much the same as you. How do ye explain Liam Kelly though, or outline how MON/FAI/Gareth Southgate or whoever else is responsible for that one ? 

A decent ball player at U21 level, reasonably promising, but ultimately in & out of the first team picture at a club who were lucky not to be relegated last season, and this season is panning out exactly the same. To be blunt about it, in real terms, this lad has achieved fcuk all in football. If England were to lose their first choice 60 or 70 players or so, he might get a place on their bench, he is absolutely miles away at the minute. 

Notwithstanding that, he was called up to Ireland training camps as early as what most people are calling for,  mollycoddled by MON/FAI, then told us to fcuk off anyway. He isn't quite a lost cause as if he doesn't quite reach the standard him or his agent thinks he is capable of in say, 3 years time, he can still declare for us then.  Some lads would be happy to accept that, I'd be of the mind it would be our turn (whoever the manager may be) to tell him to fcuk off at that point. 

Basically, this entire theory says we can effectively force, or somehow cod these lads into being capped competitively. Is that actually realistic ? And the solution to getting around a Rice/Grealish situation is to simply hand out caps to any English born lad that can kick a ball at a reasonably decent level, preferably just after his 16th birthday (which would be too late for some posters on here) ? Is that realistic either ? I

Maybe I'm in the minority & so be it, but I don't want to see an Irish team half made up of lads who might never make it, just for the sake of preventing them playing elsewhere.  It is the senior football team, which should be the exclusive preserve of the best 23 lads qualified to play for us on merit & achievement. Rice & Grealish would certainly be in that category, but they chose not to play for us. Kelly is only barely scraping into that category & yet knocked us back anyway.

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 12:31am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

This theory has a lot of traction on here, and with the Rice situation, there are nearly multiple posts daily saying much the same as you. How do ye explain Liam Kelly though, or outline how MON/FAI/Gareth Southgate or whoever else is responsible for that one ? 

A decent ball player at U21 level, reasonably promising, but ultimately in & out of the first team picture at a club who were lucky not to be relegated last season, and this season is panning out exactly the same. To be blunt about it, in real terms, this lad has achieved fcuk all in football. If England were to lose their first choice 60 or 70 players or so, he might get a place on their bench, he is absolutely miles away at the minute. 

Notwithstanding that, he was called up to Ireland training camps as early as what most people are calling for,  mollycoddled by MON/FAI, then told us to fcuk off anyway. He isn't quite a lost cause as if he doesn't quite reach the standard him or his agent thinks he is capable of in say, 3 years time, he can still declare for us then.  Some lads would be happy to accept that, I'd be of the mind it would be our turn (whoever the manager may be) to tell him to fcuk off at that point. 

Basically, this entire theory says we can effectively force, or somehow cod these lads into being capped competitively. Is that actually realistic ? And the solution to getting around a Rice/Grealish situation is to simply hand out caps to any English born lad that can kick a ball at a reasonably decent level, preferably just after his 16th birthday (which would be too late for some posters on here) ? Is that realistic either ? I

Maybe I'm in the minority & so be it, but I don't want to see an Irish team half made up of lads who might never make it, just for the sake of preventing them playing elsewhere.  It is the senior football team, which should be the exclusive preserve of the best 23 lads qualified to play for us on merit & achievement. Rice & Grealish would certainly be in that category, but they chose not to play for us. Kelly is only barely scraping into that category & yet knocked us back anyway.

Kelly could have been called up and capped a hell of lot earlier than March 2018 when he turned us down (he broke into Readings team in August 2016). If we'd called him up in say, early 2017 and thrown him in for 5 minutes, it's hard to have imagine he'd have rejected the chance. TBF to Kelly, he denies that he turned us down in favour of looking for an England cap, so it's not necessarily the same as Rice/Grealish. In any case though, the fact remains that we are comically slow in reacting to young talent breaking through. 
We're decent enough..
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 12:54am

This theory has a lot of traction on here, and with the Rice situation, there are nearly multiple posts daily saying much the same as you. How do ye explain Liam Kelly though, or outline how MON/FAI/Gareth Southgate or whoever else is responsible for that one

LK denied immediately it was England related & spoke about it no more, and I did hear a version that would lay the blame at MON for it also, remarkably. Something he said, in his usual arrogant, aloof way, in what passes for humour, LK did not find funny & told him so. MON promptly threw him under the bus at the next press conference. 

Can't really say more than that & how true, I cant swear, but I was told that.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 12:59am
Kelly was initially called up in March 2017 though, which was only 6 or 7 months after he had first broken into the Reading team. http://www.the42.ie/john-egan-liam-kelly-ireland-call-up-3285218-Mar2017/

I don't think he made the final cut at that time, but for a fella who had maybe less than 30 first team appearances at that stage, I would have thought that a reasonable enough judgement on MON's part. Considering at that time, we were going well results wise & leading the qualifying group, it was hardly a massive call to leave him out of the final cut. As ya said, he hasn't definitively ruled us out yet, but somehow I don't think he would decline a call from Southgate either, not that it will happen any time soon. 

That kind of goes back to my previous post, personally I wouldn't have felt Kelly had done enough to earn a cap at that point (as opposed to a squad call up, which I don't think anyone would have an issue with, its something MON should be doing more often and should have done more often in the past), others will maintain he should have been capped around that time, but not necessarily exclusively for football reasons, which is the bit I have an issue with. 

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 1:02am
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

This theory has a lot of traction on here, and with the Rice situation, there are nearly multiple posts daily saying much the same as you. How do ye explain Liam Kelly though, or outline how MON/FAI/Gareth Southgate or whoever else is responsible for that one

LK denied immediately it was England related & spoke about it no more, and I did hear a version that would lay the blame at MON for it also, remarkably. Something he said, in his usual arrogant, aloof way, in what passes for humour, LK did not find funny & told him so. MON promptly threw him under the bus at the next press conference. 

Can't really say more than that & how true, I cant swear, but I was told that.

Fair enough point, and I wouldn't necessarily disbelieve it either. I suppose the proof will be if & when a new manager decides to call him again if that is the case, whenever that may be. 

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 1:04am
Mon is a born and bred Northern Irish man and might not give a fiddlers about us when hes gone but it's his job to get guys committed 

I doubt Noel King is a great role model either 
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 1:13am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Mon is a born and bred Northern Irish man and might not give a fiddlers about us when hes gone but it's his job to get guys committed 

Far more chance of losing players with MON than gaining them.

In relation to Noel King...Far too long at the helm and has done absolutely zilch. But this is the FAI, jobs for the boys and rewards failure.

The only way is up
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 1:15am

Kelly was initially called up in March 2017 though, which was only 6 or 7 months after he had first broken into the Reading team. http://www.the42.ie/john-egan-liam-kelly-ireland-call-up-3285218-Mar2017/

I don't think he made the final cut at that time, but for a fella who had maybe less than 30 first team appearances at that stage, I would have thought that a reasonable enough judgement on MON's part. Considering at that time, we were going well results wise & leading the qualifying group, it was hardly a massive call to leave him out of the final cut. As ya said, he hasn't definitively ruled us out yet, but somehow I don't think he would decline a call from Southgate either, not that it will happen any time soon. 

That kind of goes back to my previous post, personally I wouldn't have felt Kelly had done enough to earn a cap at that point (as opposed to a squad call up, which I don't think anyone would have an issue with, its something MON should be doing more often and should have done more often in the past), others will maintain he should have been capped around that time, but not necessarily exclusively for football reasons, which is the bit I have an issue with. 

I'm aware of that, but as you say he was cut when he easily could have been capped to put the whole thing to bed (if indeed there is anything to put to bed, it's not clear that Kelly is uncommitted to Ireland).

Edited by The O'Shea - 04 Oct 2018 at 1:17am
We're decent enough..
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 1:26am

Fair enough point, and I wouldn't necessarily disbelieve it either. I suppose the proof will be if & when a new manager decides to call him again if that is the case, whenever that may be.

Yeah, we will know then, you're right.
But I have a feeling once we do see the back of this regime, it won't be the only case to be solved re players who might have played for us in other circumstances (to put it softly), to be honest. And real reasons certain players aren't in squads / available for squads also, sadly. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 8:31am

You cant force people to commit to anything.

They (FAI and O'Neill) rolled out the red carpet for Rice and capped him 2 times and most likely he's gone as his head was turned by others.

Rice may also have turned down the chance to play against Moldova or other competitive games to tie him down.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Green rebel View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 8:39am
Noel king is one of the biggest bluffers in the FAI and that says alot,the u21s have being a disaster for years ,going back to don givens .
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 8:44am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

You cant force people to commit to anything.

They (FAI and O'Neill) rolled out the red carpet for Rice and capped him 2 times and most likely he's gone as his head was turned by others.

Rice may also have turned down the chance to play against Moldova or other competitive games to tie him down.

3 times Wink
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 9:05am
Typo!
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 180181182183184 452>
  Share Topic